The all-new Premier League thread Page 4633

• Page

of 5423 First / Last

• graysonavich 10 Feb 2014 11:28:01 7,321 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    A day trip to Thorpe Park would have been a lot cheaper.

Edited by graysonavich at 11:28:12 10-02-2014
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Feb 2014 11:29:04 39,447 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is there a video of the last 30 seconds of the game last night?

The restart after Fulham's goal was almost comical. The entire team (minus De gea)literally ran forward towards the goal the moment we restarted.

I don't think I've ever seen that.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• vijay_UK 10 Feb 2014 11:31:49 2,118 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Crossing early when breaking from counter attacks is in the clubs DNA. Playing bloody bombardment of the opposition box which is being marshalled by a 6'7 defender isn't.
    I hear what you're saying - it's just that when a club is clearly struggling to get consistent results, you kinda have to stick to what you know best, and taking into consideration the personnel you have at your disposal.
  • mikew1985 10 Feb 2014 11:40:25 12,672 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Crossing early when breaking from counter attacks is in the clubs DNA. Playing bloody bombardment of the opposition box which is being marshalled by a 6'7 defender isn't.
    I hear what you're saying - it's just that when a club is clearly struggling to get consistent results, you kinda have to stick to what you know best, and taking into consideration the personnel you have at your disposal.
    The current personnell at our disposal don't suit that system though.

Our best 11 would be one in which there would be a front 4 of RVP, Rooney, Mata and one of Januzaj/Kagawa (swap between the four as and when necessary).

Those are our best attacking players. Not one of them is a winger yet we keep persisting with weaker squad players who are pure and utter toss owing to some idea that we have to cross the ball?!

Fuck that shit.
  • vijay_UK 10 Feb 2014 11:54:03 2,118 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I agree in principle with what you say.

However, Mata hasn't had a pre-season with RVP/Rooney/Kagawa/Januzaj - barely any real time to settle in with his new club. I look at these players and I see square pegs and round holes. I just don't see how Mata fits in with Rooney and RVP - certainly not on the right-wing. He wants to be in the middle (imo) where Rooney plays and dictates.

They might be your best attacking players, and individually they are superb. I just don't know how they fit together, or if Moyes does.

I would try, certainly in training at least:

RVP Rooney (just off RVP)

Mata

CM CM CM

Beef up your midfield with an extra player, and the only width from FB delivery.

Edited by vijay_UK at 11:56:27 10-02-2014
  • THFourteen 10 Feb 2014 12:01:06 33,262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Surely must be more than one poor game considering the fans are starting to turn on him a bit?
    He's a bit berbarebrobvy in the fact that he looks lazy (is lazy)

He's had more non-existent games than he has good ones, although unfortunately he is one of these players that will pop up with an assist and do nothing else for 90 minutes
  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 12:05:20 87,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ozilarvin.

Arshavozil.
  • THFourteen 10 Feb 2014 12:06:37 33,262 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    :-(
  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 12:07:44 87,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Francis Jeffozil.
  • Dougs 10 Feb 2014 12:07:47 67,288 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Boleyn Ground has been flogged then. Wonder how much they got for it...
  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 12:07:54 87,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heh.
  • SolidSCB 10 Feb 2014 12:21:39 6,652 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    The current personnell at our disposal don't suit that system though.

Our best 11 would be one in which there would be a front 4 of RVP, Rooney, Mata and one of Januzaj/Kagawa (swap between the four as and when necessary).

Those are our best attacking players. Not one of them is a winger yet we keep persisting with weaker squad players who are pure and utter toss owing to some idea that we have to cross the ball?!

Fuck that shit.
    We have at least 4 playmakers who love the ball at their feet and can all pick a pass for the front man to feed off. But we persist playing a wide game we never really played in the first place. We got so much joy from out wide because we broke at pace and exposed the gaps it made. We just plod along under Moyes, it is awful to watch.

It isn't even the results that have bothered me, it's the way he wants us to play. We've had pretty much a full squad for the last 2 games and he changed absolutely nothing and it's quite clear he thinks that this is a good style of football for us. We can't trust him with any more money in the summer, he needs to go.
  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 12:35:23 87,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It was interesting that for the two minutes following Man U's first goal, they suddenly transformed into proper Man U and got the second incredibly easily. Would suggest at this point confidence is the main issue.
  • mikew1985 10 Feb 2014 12:39:03 12,672 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Confidence is definitely an issue but Chirst on a bike it's not the only issue.

A low on confidence United team playing the worst team in the league at OT should still absolutely walk the game. You look at the 11 players United put out on the field yesterday and they should have battered that Fulham team. There's more than a confidence problem.
  • Dougs 10 Feb 2014 12:41:48 67,288 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It was interesting that for the two minutes following Man U's first goal, they suddenly transformed into proper Man U and got the second incredibly easily. Would suggest at this point confidence is the main issue.
    Always happens with us too - in a game where we're not playing well, passes going astray etc, if we somehow manage to grab a goal from a pen or set piece or something, all of a sudden the zip is back, passes are crisper etc and we look like the team we can be. I don't think you can underestimate the importance of confidence - as a team or individual.
  • mcmonkeyplc 10 Feb 2014 12:48:33 39,447 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was seriously tempted to put a bet on 2-2 when it hit 2-1. The way we backed off made me very nervous.

It's also not the first time we've come back into a game and then fucked it up by backing off.

The killer instinct just isn't there. The defence falls asleep too often.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• kalel 10 Feb 2014 12:51:42 87,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yes, and 2-2 you went back to Moyes United, but that again is a confidence thing. When the game became yours to win you grew in confidence. Once it was yours to lose, you lost it again.

Killing a game off once your ahead is proper Champion's stuff. Very few teams can do it well. We've struggled with it for years. Fergie was the absolute master of it, and Mourinho knows how it's done as well.

The real trick to it is to keep possession in your opponent's half but it really takes some confidence to do that.
  • nickthegun 10 Feb 2014 12:56:09 59,532 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    One of my mates is a season ticket holder and he said that the minute the second went in, everyone within earshot almost collectively said 'we wont go for the third. we will try to hold on and let one in'.

Fulhams equaliser was, by all accounts, the least surprising thing to ever happen at old trafford.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• TheMayorOfJugs 10 Feb 2014 12:58:46 3,390 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I miss that siege mentality.

Magic goals, screamers and good moves like every other club but mostly:

Having an excellent defence, counterattacking like lightning, crosses that lock on to your head, get 2 or 3 goals, demoralize the opponents and then camp in their half and maybe/usually score more.

That's Man Utd. :-(
  • RightBean 10 Feb 2014 13:01:42 639 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It is just bad luck to concede in last minute. Also, Bent is a very good player who is known to ruthlessly punish any lapse in concentration
  • TheMayorOfJugs 10 Feb 2014 13:03:32 3,390 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    RightBean wrote:
    Bent is a very good player
    O_o
  • kalel 10 Feb 2014 13:03:42 87,150 posts
    Seen 36 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    Bent is a very good player who is known to ruthlessly punish any lapse in concentration
    :D

Tell us another.
  • robc84 10 Feb 2014 13:06:39 5,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Francis Jeffozil.
    Excellent. :D
  • robc84 10 Feb 2014 13:07:45 5,521 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    It is just bad luck to concede in last minute. Also, Bent is a very good player who is known to ruthlessly punish any lapse in concentration
    Sarcasm surely?

He even fell over heading the ball into the empty net.
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Feb 2014 13:08:15 16,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Definitely the funniest thing I've read today. Might well go put it in the post of the day thread ;-)

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 10 Feb 2014 13:09:05 16,983 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    He even fell over heading the ball into the empty net.
    The biggest surprise is that he wasn't offside. He can usually contrive to be offside in any situation.

You are a factory of sadness.

• SolidSCB 10 Feb 2014 13:09:56 6,652 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RightBean wrote:
    Shouldn't you be leading a crossing drill or something right now, David?
  • SolidSCB 10 Feb 2014 13:24:46 6,652 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He's clearly not going to change anything anyway. He seems quite happy with our style of play and believes it's all down to bad luck. We had 81 goalscoring opportunities yesterday after all. Just going to have to wait it out and hope he gets punted sooner rather than later. We had a nice little run of fixtures in Jan and early Feb, and got nothing. Borderline relegation form. We're actually going to slip even further down the table after the next run of games we have too. Can't wait for the gifs.
  • Tom_Servo 10 Feb 2014 13:30:02 17,566 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    ""I've never headed that many balls since I played in the Conference!" Wonderful zing from Dan Burn."
  • Page

of 5423 First / Last