• Page

of 5675 First / Last

• Deleted user 2 January 2014 15:49:57
    Fuck knows.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Jan 2014 15:50:13 44,966 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IRT wrote:
    When do we ever see that happen with managers? It's usually just players.
    O_o

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• kentmonkey 2 Jan 2014 15:51:00 20,941 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Yeah, was the end of Moyes' contract.
    He was still 'poached' though. As was Wenger. Wenger saw out his contract with Grampus Eight, but we made the approach in August, he just wouldn't sign until his contract expired. Moyes the same.

If we're defining 'poached' as a manager that actually ends up with a fee being paid, then you can strike those two from the list, the rest are all still valid though.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Jan 2014 15:51:04 44,966 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I see this has been covered.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 2 Jan 2014 15:52:37 61,355 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    'Tapped up' rather than 'poached', probably.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• kentmonkey 2 Jan 2014 15:54:07 20,941 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    'Tapped up' rather than 'poached', probably.
    I'll settle on boiled.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2014 15:55:30
    Anyway, it happens extremely regularly.
  • Tom_Servo 2 Jan 2014 16:10:30 18,082 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    De Bruyne's agent says he's leaving Chelsea this month. Forgot he was even there.

I predicted when he signed that he'd never play for them, and while that wasn't quite right I wasn't exactly far off either.
  • reddevil93 2 Jan 2014 16:16:09 12,095 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Pardew is the PL's 2nd longest serving manager, at 3 years. Barmy.
    My favourite stat was that Wenger's 17 year tenure is longer than all the other mangers in the league combined tenures at their respective clubs.

Edited by reddevil93 at 17:13:21 02-01-2014

• robc84 2 Jan 2014 16:24:20 6,111 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Looks like Holtby could be going back to Schalke.
    Where did you hear that? Would be a real shame if he did.
  • FWB 2 Jan 2014 16:25:56 45,662 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Moyes was poached even if it was the end of his contract. He'd have stayed if Utd hadn't come in. But most Toffees understood the decision and weren't mad about it. He really had to take the opportunity.
  • captbirdseye 2 Jan 2014 16:26:10 5,514 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    He needs his head examining.
    Apparently he has "extensive funds" available for the January transfer window...

...and if he spends them, Tan will sack him.
    He has an open cheque book and that seems to have sealed the deal for him. Its win/win for both tbh and a rolling contract that won't cost the earth to pay off if things go wrong.

The situation with Malky/Moody/Tan got really personal and media leaks were all over the place especially the bonus payments which lead to Moodys removal.  I'm hopeful that things can get back on track and we appoint a football man on the board that can tell Tan that Marshall isn't gonna score us goals.

Gonna be an interesting month or so and the worst case scenario is we end up doing a 'QPR' and spunk loads of cash on shit and get relegated. Bit bored of the premier league and would rather the Championship imo.
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Jan 2014 16:34:52 39,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Moyes was poached even if it was the end of his contract. He'd have stayed if Utd hadn't come in. But most Toffees understood the decision and weren't mad about it. He really had to take the opportunity.
    He still needs to take the opportunity :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 2 January 2014 16:40:53
    I think Ole is a bit less likely to bring in every mercenary he can, like Harry did. From his management time so far, he's a lot smarter than that.
  • mcmonkeyplc 2 Jan 2014 16:44:26 39,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd love to see Ole as a future manager of Man Utd, so hope he does well but this Tan guy doesn't seem very...stable.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Orange 2 Jan 2014 17:40:42 4,902 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Solksjaer had a crap season at Molde last year, taking the Prem gravytrain while he still has a decent offer. Doubt he'll amount to much longterm as a manager, too soft.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2014 17:43:09
    A lots been made of Fergie's legacy of creating a whole new generation of top managers, but actually, most have crashed and burned after initial hype.
  • Baihu1983 2 Jan 2014 17:55:47 3,653 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Looks like Holtby could be going back to Schalke.
    Where did you hear that? Would be a real shame if he did.
    Goal app on my phone. Says he plans to have talks with Sherwood in regards to his future.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2014 17:58:37
    I just don't get what kind of player Holtby is. I like him, and he clearly has talent, but like Siggy he's a bit neither/nor...

They're both useful as squad players, but I wouldn't blame them if they wanted to leave, especially as Sherwood seems to favour youth players (which I'm all for).
  • robc84 2 Jan 2014 18:36:47 6,111 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think he is a no.10 but his tenacity means can play a different role that is not necessarily his strongest. Bit like milner I suppose.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2014 19:02:04
    Orange wrote:
    Solksjaer had a crap season at Molde last year, taking the Prem gravytrain while he still has a decent offer. Doubt he'll amount to much longterm as a manager, too soft.
    He's taken them from barely avoiding relegation to winning the league twice and coming 6th in his third year.

What makes you think he's soft, or that that's what makes or breaks a manager?
  • oceanmotion 2 Jan 2014 19:06:15 16,129 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    A lots been made of Fergie's legacy of creating a whole new generation of top managers, but actually, most have crashed and burned after initial hype.
    Probably hard to tell other than obvious ex players and is the distinction top managers or top division managers ? He has likely helped many coaches in some way over the years. There isn't many top managers anyway which makes it unlikely to see someone great so soon but early days I would think. Also, iron fist management over say a Barcelona philosophy from top to bottom is not likely to be passed on well.
  • captbirdseye 2 Jan 2014 19:18:35 5,514 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Orange Really can't be as bad as some of the football Malky played. I'd be happy with 5 passes strung together a game.
  • Deleted user 2 January 2014 19:23:35
    Hate to say it because Ole is a nice guy but he didn't strike me as a person capable of inspiring men from his rhetoric.

Hope I'm wrong.
  • askew 2 Jan 2014 21:10:40 12,770 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Gonna be an interesting month or so and the worst case scenario is we end up doing a 'QPR' and spunk loads of cash on shit and get relegated. Bit bored of the premier league and would rather the Championship imo.
    Blasphemy!
  • FWB 2 Jan 2014 21:26:46 45,662 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Heitinga has turned down West Ham. Bit of a waste of time agreeing everything between the clubs. Obviously got taste tho.
  • captbirdseye 2 Jan 2014 21:30:13 5,514 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @askew Tbh I might've been expecting too much but I haven't seen one side that has truely blown me away with quality and imo I really don't see the Premier League as that a big a jump from the Championship. Maybe my experience has been ruined by all our off field problems but the league is all a bit 'meh' ;p.
  • SolidSCB 2 Jan 2014 21:42:55 7,438 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's definitely significantly shitter than it used to be at the top. Makes it much more exciting for the neutral as seen this season, but the drop in quality can't be denied.
  • captbirdseye 2 Jan 2014 21:49:35 5,514 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No doubt it but for as a newcomer I was really expecting to see at least one truely world class side. The only side that came close was Spurs at home lol.
  • Youthist 2 Jan 2014 21:51:07 10,083 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lol at comparing top of the prem to the championship. However there is no 'awesome' team and if there was everyone would be complaining. City are clearly head and shoulders above everyone else in the quality stakes though. But still think arse can win it if city drop points away in the run-in.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Page

of 5675 First / Last