The all-new Premier League thread Page 4297

• Page

of 5370 First / Last

• kentmonkey 29 Nov 2013 19:32:12 20,574 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From the BBC website about Lukaku considering staying at Everton:

"Despite his displays, Lukaku told BBC Football Focus: "It's a bit strange at the minute, the last time I heard from [Chelsea] was a couple of months ago.

"But I think they are watching my performances."

Replying to those comments, Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho said on Friday: "Romelu likes to speak. He's a young boy. But the only thing that he didn't say is why he went to Everton on loan.

"My last contact with him was to tell him exactly that. 'Why you never say why you are not here?'

"It's something that he should say, because he likes to speak, the reason why he is not with Chelsea and he is in Everton."

Ooh, ooh, let me guess Jose. Erm, err.....ahm....yes, yes I think I've got it. Was Lukaku's words that he hasn't spoken 'I have decided to go to Everton because you're a self-important prick who I couldn't stand to be around'. Am I right? What do I win?
  • Bremenacht 29 Nov 2013 19:38:37 17,777 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Just on this story, though its a lovely little example of showing faith in a manager and giving them loads of patience it doesn't really hold up in modern times at all. It's been banded around when Moyes faces a few bad results too but clubs simply can't afford to give managers the patience they could back then. There was no huge CL or PL money that missing out on would mean you fall behind the pack and though it has gone to the other extreme in some cases, I do have sympathy for boardrooms at big clubs facing these situations.
    Interested in this bit. Can you show plenty of evidence that clubs who replace their managers do much better? Just in case you think 'Chelsea', they won the CL with an interim manager.
  • The-Bodybuilder 29 Nov 2013 20:43:35 14,128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    We done AVB getting a fan ejected from their seat for chanting "You're getting sacked in the morning" at him during their EL tie last night? What a petulant dick.
    Big mistake IMO.
    Now we know chants get to him, he's in for some mot-too-great experience in the PL.
  • reddevil93 29 Nov 2013 21:36:52 11,563 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spurs are at home but yeah, point stands. Will be in for some abuse.

• morriss 29 Nov 2013 23:39:37 70,928 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    We done AVB getting a fan ejected from their seat for chanting "You're getting sacked in the morning" at him during their EL tie last night? What a petulant dick.
    Big mistake IMO.
    Now we know chants get to him, he's in for some mot-too-great experience in the PL.
    Yeah, because we 100% believe the story of someone who gets thrown out of a stadium. Are you sure there isnt more to the story?
  • morriss 29 Nov 2013 23:40:55 70,928 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    arials101 wrote:
    Oops, guess I must have assumed United would be at home because almost everyone is backing them to win, but I guess that's just how far Spurs' stock has fallen at the moment.
    Not really. The fact that we haven't beaten them at home since 2001 and they're Utd and we're Spurs is why everyone's backing them to win.
  • Punctum 30 Nov 2013 00:01:01 933 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I don't think Spurs' stock has fallen - more a case of it being over inflated to begin with due to their early season points exceeding the expectation of a team which lost their talisman and recruited over £100 million worth of new squad players who have yet to gel.
  • robc84 30 Nov 2013 06:32:57 5,480 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Big mistake IMO.
    Yeah, because we 100% believe the story of someone who gets thrown out of a stadium. Are you sure there isnt more to the story?
    My thoughts exactly. Yeah he is stupid if it is true but we don't know the full story. He is hardly going to say exactly what he said.
  • THFourteen 30 Nov 2013 08:59:19 33,162 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Fits in with his character though
  • Syrette 30 Nov 2013 09:03:32 43,295 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    S(purs)DF rushing to his defence I see.

• morriss 30 Nov 2013 09:04:57 70,928 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think it does. He gets called cunt every week, why this week? Do we even know the person's interpretation of events is true? Did it really even happen?

I reckon bollocks.
  • THFourteen 30 Nov 2013 09:07:51 33,162 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is true that in smaller grounds the abuse can seem a lot more personal.

I remember going to the withdean a few years ago, and I yelled "for fucks sake lino that was fucking terrible"

I could have sworn he turned round and looked me in the eye
  • robc84 30 Nov 2013 09:08:11 5,480 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Perhaps. And I'm not saying its not true. But just not sure why we should believe some random fan who got thrown out of the stadium. He could have been really abusive and the steward asked him to leave.

We don't know either way.
  • morriss 30 Nov 2013 09:12:19 70,928 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's bollocks and didn't happen. There, I said it. It's a media-devised story based on an uncorroborated story in order to reinforce their narrative of a man under pressure and not being able to handle it.

It's 100% not true and didn't happen. :)
  • robc84 30 Nov 2013 09:15:32 5,480 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    AVB is their man atm. Plus they know he didn't handle it well last time....

Hopefully he can just ignore them or laugh it off. Hope he doesn't get all defensive like before.
  • captbirdseye 30 Nov 2013 09:24:17 4,862 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not sure we'll get anything out of† the Arsenal game today but it'll be nice to gove Ramsey a good reception.
  • THFourteen 30 Nov 2013 09:26:07 33,162 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Not sure we'll get anything out of† the Arsenal game today but it'll be nice to gove Ramsey a good reception.
    If you play like you did last week it will be real close...
  • captbirdseye 30 Nov 2013 09:29:23 4,862 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @THFourteen tbh I'm just looking forward to watching Arsenal again as they were a joy to watch when we played them in the Cup a few years ago.
  • THFourteen 30 Nov 2013 09:32:31 33,162 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ah Eduardo's comeback.

I miss Eduardo :-(

I remember that, I arrived early at the 12 pins and started drinking and reading my programme, I looked up about 20 mins later and I was surrounded by Cardiff fans, they'd turned the place into an away pub after I went in!

Had some good natured banter, then legged it.
  • ElNino9 30 Nov 2013 09:49:47 13,362 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I don't think it does. He gets called cunt every week, why this week? Do we even know the person's interpretation of events is true? Did it really even happen?

I reckon bollocks.
    I'm not really a fan of AvB - nothing personal against the guy, but he managed Chelsea and he bores me to tears in every interview, but this whole talk of sacking is fucking nonsense.

I'm pretty sure it all just tabloid guff during a quiet period, because the hierarchy at Spurs can't be that stupid. They're a work in progress at the moment and they should accept that after ditching Redknapp. They brought AvB in whose is renowned for having an ideology about how his team sets up, and that takes time.

They've sold their best player for an insane fee and they've allowed him to reconstruct the team, buying a hell of a lot of new faces. I think he he invested well, despite Lamela being a gamble, but to not let him at least see out the end of the season during a transitional phase would be madness.

We all like a Spurslol but despite some poor performances, they're still right up there with many others who've flattered to decieve.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• morriss 30 Nov 2013 09:50:40 70,928 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ...and losing tomorrow mean jack, imo.
  • ElNino9 30 Nov 2013 09:53:20 13,362 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think it'll be a draw but, yeah, it wouldn't be the end of the world for either team of they lost.

The league is nuts this year and we've still got another 6 months for points to be dropped left right and centre!

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• The-Bodybuilder 30 Nov 2013 10:42:13 14,128 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Whisper it...

Soldadebayor
  • Shikasama 30 Nov 2013 11:22:16 6,742 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fits in with what you think his character is based on what you read in the papers
  • askew 30 Nov 2013 11:49:49 12,163 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Spurs are at home but yeah, point stands. Will be in for some abuse.
    Until they all get kicked out at half time ;)
  • THFourteen 30 Nov 2013 11:53:52 33,162 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Fits in with what you think his character is based on what you read in the papers
    Didn't he bitch about his own fans already? Stands to reason he would bitch about opposition fans in that case.
  • kalel 30 Nov 2013 12:15:16 86,904 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think he has a petulant side to him, but so what? Did Fergie not? Does Mourinho not?

12 months ago Wenger had lost the plot and AVB was a genius. The narrative in the media (and in the heads of the fans) reflects what's going on on the pitch. But it all changes overnight and the media and fans have equally short memories.
  • Page

of 5370 First / Last