The all-new Premier League thread Page 4278

• Page

of 5468 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 14 Nov 2013 20:14:45 17,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Well if a Scotland manager came out and said they believe victims of natural disasters in, say, Muslim countries are being punished by God I would fully expect them to lose their job to be honest.
    Well, maybe but that's somewhat of a different argument, really. I take the point though.

You are a factory of sadness.

• FWB 14 Nov 2013 20:16:45 44,549 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    If all the "ignorant" views of the England players "deserved to be exposed", then you might as well shut down the national squad.

For one thing, John Terry still plays a major part.
    There are more important things than football. If you have such views, keep your mouth shut. Else as a representative and role model you need to go.

I know that's not how it works, but that is how I feel it should work. No sympathy for Hoddle. Doesn't matter if he'd won us the WC.
  • kalel 14 Nov 2013 20:33:09 87,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To me Hoddle's views are indicative of someone who isn't quite all there himself. I don't see the need for it to be needled out of him. There was no public service being done. He may be bonkers but he was doing no harm, nor anything illegal, and it had nothing to do with his job.
  • nickthegun 14 Nov 2013 20:39:41 59,866 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If we chased out every footballer with unpalatable views there wouldnt be any left. Certainly, ive heard views from a few african footballers that make hoddle look moderate.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 14 Nov 2013 20:43:16 87,583 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I do agree that once his views were exposed his position was untenable. I just don't agree any public interest was served in exposing them. Furthermore, I do feel sorry for him. Everyone is entitled to believe whatever they want. It's what you do that affects others.
  • nickthegun 14 Nov 2013 20:49:44 59,866 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My favourite Hoddle stories are the ones where he just couldnt get his head around players being shit.

He was still so good when he was a manager, when he demonstrated things on the training field he used to go mad when his squad couldnt do it.

• Trowel 14 Nov 2013 21:50:10 17,745 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Coleman has signed a new contract with Wales. Shit fuck bollocks :(
  • captbirdseye 14 Nov 2013 22:02:21 4,956 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Trowel Yep, can't believe they've given him a two year deal after the shambolic displays in the Qualifiers.
  • Trowel 14 Nov 2013 22:07:34 17,745 posts
    Seen 11 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I wouldn't mind if we'd shown a shred of the playing style Speed developed, but we've literally gone straight to playing League One football with our strongest squad for two decades :(
  • TheSaint 15 Nov 2013 10:32:20 14,369 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Was Hoddle even that good as England manager anyway? He inherited a team that had got a penalty shoot out away from the European Championships final and took them to a World Cup where we were knocked out in the second round (perhaps somewhat unluckily). We had a few good performances during that time but I don't remember anything stellar aside from perhaps scraping the draw in Italy.

I also seem to remember plenty of players saying that his poor man management skills made him unpopular with the squad, not to mention some of his more bizarre training methods / superstitions. Didn't one of the players also reveal that he brought in some mystery doctor to give everyone injections before games in France '98? That always seemed particularly dodgy.

He seemed to have a bit more success as a club manager though.
  • spindle9988 15 Nov 2013 11:11:35 3,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I always heard that Hoddle was (is) one of the greatesr coaches in the game. During his short spell as manager we played some really nice football, and were really unlucky to go out that early.

I still could never defend what he said. Can you imagine saying to a little kid with major disabilities: Sorry mate but its all your fault, because you were a cunt in a pretend former life
  • Stickman 15 Nov 2013 11:19:35 29,666 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The religious alternative is that God hates him in THIS life.

THIS SPACE FOR RENT

• Dougs 15 Nov 2013 14:12:15 67,644 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steven Taylor speaks. Errm.
  • wobbler147 15 Nov 2013 14:31:44 5,138 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    0_o
  • The-Bodybuilder 15 Nov 2013 16:06:48 14,194 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    If all the "ignorant" views of the England players "deserved to be exposed", then you might as well shut down the national squad.

For one thing, John Terry still plays a major part.
    There are more important things than football. If you have such views, keep your mouth shut. Else as a representative and role model you need to go.

I know that's not how it works, but that is how I feel it should work. No sympathy for Hoddle. Doesn't matter if he'd won us the WC.
    I don't disagree at all and feel he was right to go.
    Just pointing out the case if it truly is the case of "exposing all the ignorant views" then the England team would be toast. Heck I'm convinced sure most people here hold at least one ignorant viewpoint on a subject matter.

If you reveal it, then more fool you. Just don't think it should be the case of the media digging deep to "expose" the ignorant viewpoints, deservingly.
  • TheSaint 15 Nov 2013 16:09:03 14,369 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Steven Taylor speaks. Errm.
    Angling for a move to Chelsea or Liverpool in January I reckon.
  • HarryPalmer 15 Nov 2013 16:25:50 3,319 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You've really got to wonder.

Top top bantz though.
  • Feanor 15 Nov 2013 16:28:19 14,166 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    TheSaint wrote:
    Anyone else read Hoddle's new column?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1848051-lallana-england-call-long-overdue-and-how-gerrard-can-be-three-lions-pirlo?

Nothing quite like the man who didn't take Le Tiss to France '98 bemoaning England managers reluctance to take a punt on gifted players from smaller clubs. On the plus side he's more than happy to take credit for giving those small club wonders Owen and Beckham a chance.
    I'd say it is much more beneficial for a player to be overlooked for a time until he has proven his worth at club level. Lallana has been a player with some skill and application but not enough for international level. It's only this season where he is showing the right level of consistency to get a call up.
    I had no idea Lallana was English.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Nov 2013 16:32:04 17,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is that because he seems to have good close control? ;-)

• nickthegun 15 Nov 2013 16:33:09 59,866 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And Rodriguez. What a british name that is, eh? eh? eh?

• Mr_Sleep 15 Nov 2013 16:38:12 17,061 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Amusing idea from the Football Weekly podcast: Managers as people in cop shows. I was particularly amused by the idea of AVB being part of internal affairs, ostracised by the other managers.

• mcmonkeyplc 15 Nov 2013 16:39:02 39,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    He was born in Pakistan/India...I mean Burnley.

/runs

Come and get it cumslingers!

• MadCaddy13 15 Nov 2013 17:18:58 1,918 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Januzaj is peetering out a bit eh. Not English anymore!
  • mcmonkeyplc 15 Nov 2013 17:20:24 39,456 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh well. What a shame. Let's move on.
    :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• President_Weasel 15 Nov 2013 17:41:31 9,293 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Christ I miss proper football. Curse you, internationals.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 15 Nov 2013 18:08:11 3,521 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I actually can't wait to see how Forster, Llallana and Rodriguez do for England.
  • Syrette 15 Nov 2013 18:58:58 43,433 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't think Rodriguez is exactly international quality. I realise he's there as a replacement for Welbeck but that's not exactly a glowing compliment.

Lallana I like and he's proved himself to be consistent enough to warrant an England call-up.

Forster has had a couple of decent games in the Champions League but plays in a joke of a league, so I think he's only there because England are currently lacking quality keepers.

• TheSaint 15 Nov 2013 20:23:25 14,369 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Are we talking playing for Spain international quality or playing for England? Because he may not be the best but he is easily good enough to get in a team that would have Welbeck or Johnson as regular starters.
  • Page

of 5468 First / Last