The all-new Premier League thread Page 4277

• Page

of 5262 First / Last

• Steve_Perry 14 Nov 2013 10:36:44 3,625 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yay! Pride Park is now the iPro Stadium for the next ten years!

The price of dignity? 700k a year which, to my eyes, is absolutely fuck all.
    Is it really? Oh dear. What about the rest of Pride Park? I assume it's just the stadium and not the whole area. I can't see many of the locals being happy about that. What a shitter.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• nickthegun 14 Nov 2013 10:38:05 58,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, its just the stadium as far as I can tell. It would be funny if they renamed the entire business park, though.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• TheSaint 14 Nov 2013 10:39:30 14,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's not going to affect the Greggs is it?
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Nov 2013 10:40:49 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JAY RODRIGUEZ

That is all.

That's from watching too much SSN

Come and get it cumslingers!

• nickthegun 14 Nov 2013 10:41:25 58,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They wont be able to sell coke with your meal deal anymore, just some shitty sports drink*

*this may not be true

He totally called it

• Steve_Perry 14 Nov 2013 10:49:00 3,625 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, its just the stadium as far as I can tell. It would be funny if they renamed the entire business park, though.
    Bit of a shitter really especially for that paltry amount of money. I wonder what Clough would have to say about this horrible trend. No doubt it would be amusing.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Dougs 14 Nov 2013 10:49:37 66,722 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rene Meulensteene has joined Fulham as a coach. QUick side-step in a month or so for Jol then...
  • TheSaint 14 Nov 2013 11:18:51 14,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Anyone else read Hoddle's new column?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1848051-lallana-england-call-long-overdue-and-how-gerrard-can-be-three-lions-pirlo?

Nothing quite like the man who didn't take Le Tiss to France '98 bemoaning England managers reluctance to take a punt on gifted players from smaller clubs. On the plus side he's more than happy to take credit for giving those small club wonders Owen and Beckham a chance.
  • JiveHound 14 Nov 2013 12:06:14 2,346 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Le Tiss worked so hard. I seem to remember him actually running in a friendly before the World Cup and scoring a hat trick, yet still no dice.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• TheSaint 14 Nov 2013 12:12:04 14,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JiveHound wrote:
    Le Tiss worked so hard.
    Let's not exaggerate.
  • mcmonkeyplc 14 Nov 2013 12:19:07 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Le Tiss was basically an English Berbatov:

Meander, meander, magic goal, meander meander, magic.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• kalel 14 Nov 2013 12:21:27 86,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be fair England were great under Hoddle, so he may have known what he was doing.
  • JiveHound 14 Nov 2013 12:21:47 2,346 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    JiveHound wrote:
    Le Tiss worked so hard.
    Let's not exaggerate.
    Well, for him. I just think that a team could use someone that could just conjure up some magic out of nowhere for you. We will never know.

Live: Jive Hands
    PSN: Jive_Hands

• Mr_Sleep 14 Nov 2013 12:30:34 16,853 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Anyone else read Hoddle's new column?

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1848051-lallana-england-call-long-overdue-and-how-gerrard-can-be-three-lions-pirlo?

Nothing quite like the man who didn't take Le Tiss to France '98 bemoaning England managers reluctance to take a punt on gifted players from smaller clubs. On the plus side he's more than happy to take credit for giving those small club wonders Owen and Beckham a chance.
    I'd say it is much more beneficial for a player to be overlooked for a time until he has proven his worth at club level. Lallana has been a player with some skill and application but not enough for international level. It's only this season where he is showing the right level of consistency to get a call up.

Many a player has come along looking like a great player but they can't do it on an international level and they soon lose their zing in club football too. Vassell is a good example of this, for me, a player who looked really exciting but was found out at both levels.

You have to wonder about Townsend in this regard too, he has been working hard and improving on loan and has broken into the first team at Spurs and looks sure to play for England quite a bit but now that teams are aware of him and his predilections he will be found out. He may improve his game enough to compensate but in the glare of international football he may not get the time and may end up as another broken player due to the spotlight and tabloids when he inevitable doesn't perform to quite the level everyone expects.

You are a factory of sadness.

• nickthegun 14 Nov 2013 12:34:57 58,885 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    To be fair England were great under Hoddle, so he may have known what he was doing.
    I cant quite bear to think of what we would have been like had he not been hounded out of that job. Honestly, fucking papers...

He totally called it

• faux_carnation 14 Nov 2013 12:37:36 9,089 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Interesting article about potential bargain players playing in the internationals this week.

iirc Liverpool have been linked with 3 or 4 of those already.

Boatmurdered FC

• robc84 14 Nov 2013 12:39:25 5,336 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:

iirc Liverpool have been linked with 3 or 4 of those already.
    That's our scouting done then ;)
  • President_Weasel 14 Nov 2013 13:01:55 8,984 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I cant quite bear to think of what we would have been like had he not been hounded out of that job. Honestly, fucking papers...
    Pff, he had a faith healer on staff and he gave an interview saying the disabled were being punished for being cunts in a previous life.
    You expect the papers to not mention those things?
  • Dougs 14 Nov 2013 13:28:50 66,722 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Is it true that you narked Glenn Hoddle’s spiritual healer, Eileen Drewery?

I had a bad calf and Glenn sent me to see her. I sat in this seat, I couldn’t see her – I thought she was going to come out with no clothes on or something! Anyway, she placed her hands on my shoulders – I had long hair back then – and I just said: “short back and sides, please, Eileen”.

:D
  • kalel 14 Nov 2013 18:50:34 86,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some pretty wise words about Spurs.

http://spursstatman.com/2013/11/13/18-lessons-villas-boas-his-team-and-the-fans-have-to-take-on-board/
  • kalel 14 Nov 2013 18:55:19 86,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Pff, he had a faith healer on staff and he gave an interview saying the disabled were being punished for being cunts in a previous life.
    You expect the papers to not mention those things?
    Faith healer fair enough, but the press knew about his theories on the afterlife and they were the ones who kept asking about it, and got their quote. It was pretty cynical agenda driven stuff.

Hoddle may be a weirdo, but it really had nothing to do with football. The press had an agenda to get him out the job, as they do with pretty much every manager, and we the public lap it up and get our pitchforks out. But in the end we're mugs, as we're ousting brilliant managers just for the fun of it.

I look back at Hoddle, not to mention Sven and Capello, and I wonder if we'll get quality like that in the role ever again now.
  • TheSaint 14 Nov 2013 19:00:07 14,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    They were pretty ignorant views that deserved to be exposed IMO.
  • kalel 14 Nov 2013 19:01:48 86,417 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Why? In what way are they in the public interest?
  • TheSaint 14 Nov 2013 19:46:00 14,201 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I can't really see there is much debate in the England manager (the most high profile role in English sport) thinking that people are born disabled to punish them for actions in a past life is anything else.

Especially considering he voluntarily said it in an interview with a national newspaper. This wasn't some sting that recorded his private comments, he believed these things enough to volunteer them to a reporter on the record.

"You and I have been physically given two hands and two legs and half-decent brains," he was quoted as saying.

"Some people have not been born like that for a reason. The karma is working from another lifetime.

"I have nothing to hide about that. It is not only people with disabilities. What you sow, you have to reap."
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Nov 2013 19:58:33 16,853 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it any different to believing there is some omnipotent being looking after those who believe in him? It's mad but beliefs often are.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Tom_Servo 14 Nov 2013 20:07:11 17,330 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well if a Scotland manager came out and said they believe victims of natural disasters in, say, Muslim countries are being punished by God I would fully expect them to lose their job to be honest.

I was too young to really take much notice of the Hoddle thing at the time, but I had no idea his going was a bone of contention until I read about it on here.
  • FWB 14 Nov 2013 20:08:17 43,876 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's pretty screwed up and as an ambassador, it is unacceptable.

The faith healing is moronic, but not a cause for sacking.
  • kentmonkey 14 Nov 2013 20:11:06 20,450 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tbh I think it was worthy of reporting and yes, arguably, it was of interest to the public.

However the FA didn't have to fire him or force him out/encourage him to leave.

We did lose a good manager but then who really knows whether that comment lost some of the player's faith? Or fans?

We'll certainly get a decent manager again, just as soon as we have a better squad for someone to think they could be the first manager to win something with England for over 40 years.
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Nov 2013 20:11:41 14,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If all the "ignorant" views of the England players "deserved to be exposed", then you might as well shut down the national squad.

For one thing, John Terry still plays a major part.
  • Tom_Servo 14 Nov 2013 20:13:52 17,330 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I suppose it depends on the type of job as well. If it was a bog-standard office job and someone lost their job over expressing the same opinion as Hoddle, then you'd have to ask questions.

But presumably the FA do a lot of work with disabled adults and children, you've got disabled fans coming to the games, the England manager himself probably does some work related to that area as well (even if it's just visiting hospitals with the players every now and again).

I think an opinion like Hoddle's in that context makes your position untenable.

Edited by Tom_Servo at 20:14:28 14-11-2013
  • Page

of 5262 First / Last