The all-new Premier League thread Page 4275

• Page

of 5663 First / Last

• SolidSCB 11 Nov 2013 10:40:02 7,376 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    City will be lucky to be anywhere near the top with their away form as it is. They can pump teams 15-0 at the Etihad all they want, but their dire performances away from home will be their undoing this season.
  • nickthegun 11 Nov 2013 10:43:06 61,324 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If arsenal break out the WAR CHEST and buy a striker at christmas, they could win it.

And when I say striker, i mean a ready made goal machine, not some cunt from the french third tier.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Ziz0u 11 Nov 2013 10:44:40 8,648 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If arsenal break out the WAR CHEST and buy a striker at christmas, they could win it.

And when I say striker, i mean a ready made goal machine, not some cunt from the french third tier.
    Lewandowski
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 10:46:06
    January transfer window is not the same as the summer one. Even if you are prepared to pay double what it would usually cost, you're generally only going to get players that aren't being used, or who are close to the end of their contracts.
  • nickthegun 11 Nov 2013 10:47:50 61,324 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, wenger himself rarely buys in the window for that exact reason, but they still need to make the effort.

Im sure one of the mercenaries playing for some third world, oligarchs plaything will be available, at least on loan.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• mcmonkeyplc 11 Nov 2013 11:06:04 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spurs for the league!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• LeD 11 Nov 2013 11:17:23 6,314 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Equally I don't think it says a huge amount about Man U in isolation either. They still look extremely beatable to me
    Hence my disappointment. There might not be a better opportunity to beat them at OT, but we didn't turn up.
  • Kay 11 Nov 2013 11:25:09 17,969 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Yeah, wenger himself rarely buys in the window for that exact reason, but they still need to make the effort.
    People forget that we have Podolski and Walcott to come, and they can both do the CF role. Admittedly not as good as Giroud has this season, but they can at least relieve some of the burden and allow him to come off earlier. Besides, there's no guarantee that a new striker will hit the ground running (as you'd expect them too) and light up the league from January to May, unless perhaps if they're a top PL-ready striker - and there aren't many of those available right now.

If we're still in a really good position in January, and if Giroud really is starting to look fatigued or even gets injured, then we'll definitely make the effort. But unless it's a top quality signing that can clearly improve the team in the long term, like Ozil, I suspect we won't bother too much and just stick with what we have.
  • TheSaint 11 Nov 2013 11:29:18 14,832 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Spurs for the league!
    That's going to require a lot of penalties.
  • TheMayorOfJugs 11 Nov 2013 11:33:50 4,521 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

Im sure one of the mercenaries playing for some third world, oligarchs plaything will be available, at least on loan.
    Torres to Arsenal? ;-)
  • Steve_Perry 11 Nov 2013 11:34:33 5,200 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Spurs for the league!
    Europa league (qualification)?
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Nov 2013 11:37:13 17,383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Watched motd2 this morning and it seems amazing that Spurs didn't score, they certainly didn't look negative.

You are a factory of sadness.

• vijay_UK 11 Nov 2013 11:37:26 2,374 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Spurs for the league!
    That's going to require a lot of penalties.
    Spurs to me aren't really a team that should be flooding the midfield with 'talented' ball players. They're a team that are best at playing 2 up front and 2 wide players.

Their squad used to always have 4 strikers. Now they are full of midfielders who can't score and also struggling to break teams down.

If Spurs want to finish in the Champions League positions, it's time to go old school - for the home games at the very least.
  • Dougs 11 Nov 2013 13:38:00 69,523 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That comes with a relatively new team though. I haven't seen the highlights (only saw the first half), but their defeat yesterday seemd different to other "unconvincing" displays. Sounded like just one of those days.
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Nov 2013 13:52:54 17,383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Krul was excellent while some of the efforts probably should have been more clinical. It is the most saves made in a match since opta started doing stats, or something like that. Some exceptional saves but many shots weren't that great.

• TheSaint 11 Nov 2013 13:55:29 14,832 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The volume of boos at the end seemed a bit harsh. Only going by MotD2 highlights but the Spurs performance didn't seem to justify that.
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Nov 2013 14:02:13 17,383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    The volume of boos at the end seemed a bit harsh. Only going by MotD2 highlights but the Spurs performance didn't seem to justify that.
    I find with the booing it is probably more audible because there is silence from everyone else. I'm convinced that it must have been a very frustrating game to watch. There were boos at half time during the Villa match but from what the fans in the stadium said it was a small minority of people yet it sounded so loud because no one else was making any noise.

• RedSparrows 11 Nov 2013 14:08:42 24,248 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't see Liverpool taking much from Spurs, Chelsea or Man City away. If they do, then they actually could challenge.
  • morriss 11 Nov 2013 14:59:50 71,286 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Yeah Spurs aren't playing negatively, but they are taking the wrong shots at the wrong time.

Townsend really needs to go. I know everyone gets excited when a young English player gets going but he is proving a bit of a liability. Sit him out for a few games and try and get some rhythm into the side.
    Agreed. As Jimbo says, he's Forrest Gump.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 15:18:56
    arials101 wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Arsenal's worry should be that City and Chelsea have still got a gear or two to find (as do Spurs tbh)
    I think Spurs will find that they sold that extra gear to Real Madrid.
    Yes very good.

I wouldn't say any of the players we have brought in have really clicked yet. You're obviously enjoying the possibility that means they are all crap but it seems unlikely to me. I think based on the fact that we made seven signings in the summer, all of which are potentially team improving ones, we have another gear or two to move into.

But that said, right now I think we're probably flattering to deceive a little. I don't honestly think we've been very good this season. Ironically I'd say the best I've seen from us was the second half against Newcastle, which would have yielded a massacre in 9/10 games. Sadly it wasn't to be.
  • mcmonkeyplc 11 Nov 2013 15:59:55 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I can't see Liverpool taking much from Spurs, Chelsea or Man City away. If they do, then they actually could challenge.
    This MUST NOT HAPPEN!

Come and get it cumslingers!

• LeD 11 Nov 2013 18:04:44 6,314 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    With hindsight, it was always going to be a little bit complicated for AVB to successfully bed so many new players in. They'll certainly have a storming second half of the season or something, once he's figured out his best 11, tactical variations etc.

That being said, last week-end's results see them no further or closer to the top, so they're not doing so badly as some would be happy to believe. If MU, MC are considered contenders then so should be Spurs.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 19:23:08
    Syrette wrote:
    Aargh. wrote:
    The top teams always lose one or two throughout the season to the mid table also-rans, today was just Arsenal getting it out of their system.
    Are you an 'ABU'?
    I'm a fan of football.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2013 19:27:24
    LeD wrote:
    With hindsight, it was always going to be a little bit complicated for AVB to successfully bed so many new players in. They'll certainly have a storming second half of the season or something, once he's figured out his best 11, tactical variations etc.

That being said, last week-end's results see them no further or closer to the top, so they're not doing so badly as some would be happy to believe. If MU, MC are considered contenders then so should be Spurs.
    We are not title contenders imo. I think we're unlikely to make the top four either unless something clicks soon. I do think we have the makings of a very strong squad though. I just hope we don't lose sight of the big picture if things continue to get worse before they get better.
  • robc84 11 Nov 2013 19:31:28 6,083 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I agree with kalel. It needs to click soon if we are to make top 4.

A more likely scenario is winning a cup and a top 6 finish.
  • Trowel 11 Nov 2013 20:09:25 18,064 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Premier League drops copyright infringement case against YouTube
  • Trowel 12 Nov 2013 20:27:17 18,064 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Quiet in here.

How about the Adrian Durham trying to drive traffic by writing a deliberately incendiary Daily Fail piece stating "Liverpool deserve to win league after Hillsborough".

Classy. Here's the Twitter fallout, but please don't click on the link to read his 'article': https://twitter.com/talkSPORTDrive/status/400283993230553088
  • Page

of 5663 First / Last