The all-new Premier League thread Page 4254

• Page

of 5663 First / Last

• Deleted user 4 November 2013 12:27:29
    One thing I will say about AVB is that I think it's worth noting that he was massively criticised for ages about his high defensive line, and everyone was convinced it could never work in the PL and that he was hugely naive and arrogant in persisting with it.

And yet now he has it finely tuned and Spurs are one of the hardest teams to score against in the league. Our attack is a similar work in progress, and again AVB appears to be a little arrogant and narrow-minded in persisting with it, but perhaps he does actually know best.
  • Mr_Sleep 4 Nov 2013 12:29:22 17,389 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    AVB never played for Liverpool and isn't scottish so he basically knows nothing about football.

You are a factory of sadness.

• robc84 4 Nov 2013 12:33:24 6,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think the key is to have players that will buy into your philosophy. That clearly wasn't the case at Chelsea. They were a team set in their ways and were not willing to adapt to the manager's new system. Our players have bought into it and it is paying dividends. Lloris as a 'sweeper keeper' is also key.

Also, was meant to say earlier, I was very impressed with Chiriches yesterday. Looked very composed.

Re Townsend, I'm not 100% convinced by him. He is good at running at defences but his shot to goals ratio is appalling. He is still young though, and I think once we find the right balance in attack he may shoot a bit less. It's probably more about the lack of other options / desperation to get a goal.
  • morriss 4 Nov 2013 13:17:20 71,286 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    AVB never played for Liverpool and isn't scottish so he basically knows nothing about football.
    :D
  • morriss 4 Nov 2013 13:19:39 71,286 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    I think the key is to have players that will buy into your philosophy. That clearly wasn't the case at Chelsea. They were a team set in their ways and were not willing to adapt to the manager's new system. Our players have bought into it and it is paying dividends. Lloris as a 'sweeper keeper' is also key.

Also, was meant to say earlier, I was very impressed with Chiriches yesterday. Looked very composed.

Re Townsend, I'm not 100% convinced by him. He is good at running at defences but his shot to goals ratio is appalling. He is still young though, and I think once we find the right balance in attack he may shoot a bit less. It's probably more about the lack of other options / desperation to get a goal.
    He had a late chance yesterday where he cut in and blasted it. Paulinho and Saldado has both made diagonal runs across the keeper and both were unmarked, and rightfully berated Townsend for shooting and not passing. It'll come. It need work. Everyone is doing the right things, just not at the right time. We're winning. We look great at times. It'll come.
  • Deleted user 4 November 2013 13:21:44
    morriss wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I think as an extension of this point, the fact that he never played for anyone is still a big factor in some people's views of him (perhaps fairly). Certainly pundits who were total failures as managers seem to be a bit bitter when it comes to AVB.
  • morriss 4 Nov 2013 13:23:52 71,286 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Arrigo Sacchi says they can go fuck themselves. :)

But I get your point.
  • Bremenacht 4 Nov 2013 13:24:47 19,665 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    You never know, Spurs might come good towards the latter part of the season (for a change).
  • morriss 4 Nov 2013 13:26:03 71,286 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We're already "coming good" :)
  • nickthegun 4 Nov 2013 13:28:07 61,348 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Did I miss the memo that said Spurs goal this year was to win the league? They are level on points with the chasing pack and seem to actually be doing alright.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 4 November 2013 13:30:58
    Mind you, given how many points are being dropped, there's certainly an opportunity this year.
  • robc84 4 Nov 2013 13:57:10 6,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think most fans realise that the league is probably beyond us this year. Champions League is the key factor this year.

It is the way we are playing, specifically the lack of goals that is concerning.
  • THFourteen 4 Nov 2013 14:14:08 34,478 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Chelsea and City are still the teams to beat this year IMO
  • robc84 4 Nov 2013 14:19:24 6,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It would be a surprise if Chelsea and City didn't take the two top spots this year. Leaving around 4 or 5 teams to fight it out for last two CL places. But you never know. Hoping there will still be 3 or 4 teams in with chance of winning the league going into the last few games. Probably unlikely though
  • Deleted user 4 November 2013 14:22:36
    How far are United from the first objective, 40 points?
  • THFourteen 4 Nov 2013 14:22:37 34,478 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'd rather there weren't.

It would be heartbreaking to get to April and be 5 points clear and throw it all away like Utd did.

I'll be chuffed if we can finish 3rd comfortably, i dont think that should be out of our reach this season even though i don't think we can keep this form up through christmas busy period.
  • robc84 4 Nov 2013 14:25:51 6,098 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    I'd rather there weren't.

It would be heartbreaking to get to April and be 5 points clear and throw it all away like Utd did.

I'll be chuffed if we can finish 3rd comfortably, i dont think that should be out of our reach this season even though i don't think we can keep this form up through christmas busy period.
    You mean like being 10 points ahead of you guys in March only to throw it away and up missing out on CL... :-(

I'd just rather it be a bit more exciting this year. Recently, one or two teams have just run away with it. Last season the only thing up for grabs on the final day was 4th place.
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Nov 2013 14:31:58 39,570 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    How far are United from the first objective, 40 points?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 4 November 2013 14:33:15
    Keep the faith! :D
  • mcmonkeyplc 4 Nov 2013 14:35:24 39,570 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shut your hole! :(

:p

Come and get it cumslingers!

• LionheartDJH 4 Nov 2013 14:58:09 19,549 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I think as an extension of this point, the fact that he never played for anyone is still a big factor in some people's views of him (perhaps fairly). Certainly pundits who were total failures as managers seem to be a bit bitter when it comes to AVB.
    I have more respect for him due to that to be honest, same with Mourinho. It's rare to see at the top level and I have a lot of respect for guys like that who have worked their way up from 'the outside', it must be difficult to win players' respect as the manager when you have the whole 'you never played the game' thing hanging over you constantly (apparently Sergio Ramos once said that phrase to Mourinho).

AVB's rise has been meteoric, Chelsea was probably too much too soon (not to mention the wrong environment) but he certainly learnt from his time there and is now doing a great job for you. The biography of him that came out when he joined Chelsea (imaginatively titled 'Special Too') is a pretty good read.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Ziz0u 4 Nov 2013 14:58:38 8,648 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
  • Deleted user 4 November 2013 15:11:59
    Heh, that's excellent.
  • TVoJ 4 Nov 2013 19:42:02 2,041 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just read the rumors about Crystal Palace hiring Chris Colman as their next Manager.

Please please please please be true. That fucker undid all the good work Gary Speed had done in less than 9 months.

I actually rated hi before he managed Wales. Perhaps International football just isn't his bag.

Sorry Palace fans.
  • captbirdseye 4 Nov 2013 20:08:32 5,477 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TVoJ yeah would be over the moon if that idiot left the Wales job and he can take the rest of the shit backroom staff as well.
  • Trowel 5 Nov 2013 21:37:23 18,072 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    113 years of transfers in 60 seconds (plus an interactive map of the data)
  • roz123 6 Nov 2013 16:29:43 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Premier league top 10 goals of the month
  • Page

of 5663 First / Last