The all-new Premier League thread Page 4210

• Page

of 5502 First / Last

• kalel 22 Oct 2013 11:06:12 87,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That Kasami goal might genuinely be the best goal I've ever seen. There are just so many factors that made what he did so technically difficult. It's absolutely mind-blowingly good.

The goals that are generally regarded the best ever are usually extremely important, Van Basten, Maradona, Carlos Alberto, Zidane etc - but I'd honestly put that one up there in terms of pure difficulty and execution.
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 11:10:10 60,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still cant quite believe its on his wrong foot. And the pace, christ, he's at full bore and doesnt even look up until the ball leaves the end of his toe.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• robc84 22 Oct 2013 11:16:00 5,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I was genuinely gobsmacked when I first saw that. Couldn't believe what I was seeing! I can't actually think of any better goals off the top of my head. Certainly not in the prem anyway.
  • President_Weasel 22 Oct 2013 11:31:07 9,383 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The sixth best club in the second highest division (buggered if I'll call it the Championship, that's stupid) doesn't actually need to compete in the Premiership though, do they? They get a fun adventure for the fans and a nice payday to get their debts down and maybe even put them on a sound financial footing. With the parachute money, a bit of luck, and some decent decisions they can come back for a real tilt at staying up in a couple of years.
    The financial gulf between the Prem and the next league down is vast; with the amount of money even one season plus parachute payments will get you there's going to be almost as big a gulf between the yo-yo clubs and the making up the numbers clubs in the nest league down. Anything that increases the churn, that gives clubs who make the most of their resources and go on a a good run a chance to make a real difference to their status, has got to be a good thing.

TLDNR version: I strongly approve of the playoffs as they give every club the chance of a fairy story.
  • faux-C 22 Oct 2013 11:38:18 9,398 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For reference:

• nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 11:46:59 60,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I love the playoffs, I just wish they would stop fucking around with the dates. Playoff final weekend used to be epic.

• SolidSCB 22 Oct 2013 11:48:43 6,774 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He bought a ticket and won etc etc and all that shite.

Nah, only saw it this morning, absolutely staggering goal that. Arsenal's goal over the weekend was unreal, but this was even better IMO.
  • robc84 22 Oct 2013 11:57:33 5,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    For me it was the speed he was going at that makes it so incredible. He's done well enough to even connect with the ball at that speed rather than just fall flat on his backside, but to get that sort of power and accuracy really is superb.
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 12:00:10 60,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The van basten one is clearly amazing, but its a great ball in, its popped up, hangs there forever and he watches it come down onto his toe.

This one has the Van Basten volley AND some seriously skilled shit on the side.

Again, not taking anything away from the MVB goal, but this one was pretty special.

• Kay 22 Oct 2013 12:03:43 17,905 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SolidSCB wrote:
    Nah, only saw it this morning, absolutely staggering goal that. Arsenal's goal over the weekend was unreal, but this was even better IMO.
    Different type of goals really. As far as individual efforts go, it's as good as any I've seen in the PL.
  • kalel 22 Oct 2013 12:04:31 87,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think probably rightfully it's a bigger deal when the likes of Van Basten and Zidane score goals like this, because we know they executed something that was fully intended, and could probably do it again. That combined with the fact that they did it in massive games on the international stage, and they deserve their status.

This will always have the slight suspicion of a fluke hanging over it, but in purely objective terms I don't think I've ever seen a better goal.
  • kalel 22 Oct 2013 12:05:10 87,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    Different type of goals really.
    In that one is way better.
  • Deckard1 22 Oct 2013 12:05:21 28,262 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Meh he fluked it. I've scored better in five-a-side. The goals are much smaller there as well.
  • Kay 22 Oct 2013 12:06:52 17,905 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Although I'd still put it below Zidane's goal in the CL final, or that Ibra bicycle kick.
  • Kay 22 Oct 2013 12:08:05 17,905 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    Meh, not gonna fall for it.

I recall a similar amount of spooging over Crouch's volley a season or so back.
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 12:08:46 60,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    This will always have the slight suspicion of a fluke hanging over it, but in purely objective terms I don't think I've ever seen a better goal.
    Its true but if you look at the close angle from behind the goal, he doesnt even look up, he knows exactly where he is going to put it.

I think maybe 'flash of genius' may be more accurate, but he is young so it may end up being remembered as his 'welcome to the game' goal.

• Deleted user 22 October 2013 12:09:49
    I'm biased, obviously, but this is still better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK2aU9m4nW8

Edited by HairyArse at 12:10:50 22-10-2013
  • robc84 22 Oct 2013 12:10:22 5,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Granted he could probably try that again a hundred times and not score, but I don't think that should take away from the astounding control balance and technique it took to pull it off that one time.

It's going to take something special to beat that for goal of the season!
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 12:11:42 60,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair, crouchy does have one or two crackers under his belt.

• robc84 22 Oct 2013 12:12:51 5,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Kay wrote:
    Meh, not gonna fall for it.

I recall a similar amount of spooging over Crouch's volley a season or so back.
    Arsenal's was a great goal no doubt. But this is better IMO.

To be fair, Crouch's volley vs City was an excellent goal too.

Edited by robc84 at 12:13:08 22-10-2013
  • kalel 22 Oct 2013 12:15:31 87,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's nothing to fall for. The Arsenal goal was going to be goal of the month. This is being talked about as one of the greatest goals ever. The fact that the Arsenal goal is a team goal is by the by.
  • Ziz0u 22 Oct 2013 12:16:24 8,395 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Genuine question:

Is it much easier to score wonder-goals like that now than it was in the past, due to advancements in boots and the ball?
  • nickthegun 22 Oct 2013 12:17:28 60,159 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont think Roberto Carlos could have scored that free kick with a rain soaked casey, no.

• Kay 22 Oct 2013 12:23:17 17,905 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There's nothing to fall for. The Arsenal goal was going to be goal of the month. This is being talked about as one of the greatest goals ever. The fact that the Arsenal goal is a team goal is by the by.
    My argument is that you get at least a dozen spectacular volleys like that each season, even though this may turn out to be the best of the lot.

Whereas the Wilshere-type team goal is much more unique and so will be remembered for years to come for different reasons. Again, not saying it's necessarily better, just different and more unique.
  • kalel 22 Oct 2013 12:23:40 87,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Zizoo wrote:
    Genuine question:

Is it much easier to score wonder-goals like that now than it was in the past, due to advancements in boots and the ball?
    Short answer is yes.

But I thnk the long answer is that tech is just one part of the equation. and there are many other factors that decide how the game is played at various points in time.

I sometimes wonder the kind of opposite of that question, and whether the likes of George Best and Jimmy Greaves would be any good today. Seems to be defences didn't account for players like them in those days, wheras today they do. Then again, today they'd have the benefit of better tech and diet and lifestyle and training etc etc, so maybe they'd be even better.

You can go round in circles with it.
  • kalel 22 Oct 2013 12:24:10 87,933 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    My argument is that you get at least a dozen spectacular volleys like that each season
    Except you don't, so that's that really.
  • robc84 22 Oct 2013 12:27:00 5,710 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yes, spectacular individual goals are more common than spectacular team goals. I do think that the Kasami goal is a cut above other spectacular volleys though for the reasons discussed above.

IMO that makes it a better goal.

This is putting aside club rivalry obviously ;-)
  • thedaveeyres 22 Oct 2013 12:30:33 11,156 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I doubt footballers of yesteryear would be able to cope with the smoking ban denying them a half-time gasper.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• thedaveeyres 22 Oct 2013 12:31:37 11,156 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and Kasami's goal was good, but not jaw-dropping. IMO.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• oceanmotion 22 Oct 2013 12:37:26 15,976 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, great goal. It is the Crouch syndrome. Not famous enough or looks weird so doesn't get the plaudits.

Edited by oceanmotion at 12:39:25 22-10-2013
  • Page

of 5502 First / Last