The all-new Premier League thread Page 4187

• Page

of 5621 First / Last

• Deleted user 15 October 2013 12:30:19
    Deckard1 wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You guys do know Red Bull is a sports branding company that happens to make an energy drink right? As opposed to an energy drink company that sponsors a lot of sport?
    I did not know that
    That's because it's not true.
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2013 12:33:13 61,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think its kind of true, in that some austrian dude tried a thai energy drink, liked it and repackaged it for the west.

The thai family who make it are like fucking royalty over there.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• LeoliansBro 15 Oct 2013 12:33:36 44,769 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    You guys do know Red Bull is a sports branding company that happens to make an energy drink right? As opposed to an energy drink company that sponsors a lot of sport?
    I did not know that
    Well, it's a bit disingenuous and not that simple. They started with the drink and it's still their main seller, but their global strategy is to diversify their income across multiple channels, rather than use sponsorship to promote a single product, which is more the norm. The key thing is that their other activities make them money, as opposed to costing them money.

Also true story - my friend used to have a job marketing Red Bull Cola in Devon and Cornwall. Not exactly the most buzzing market and the product itself is GODAWFUL. She ended up feeling awful whenever she was down there and popped into offlicences she'd previously sold to, seeing cases of the stuff heavily marked down and covered in dust.

She also crashed her promotional mini with the giant cola can on the back.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• LeoliansBro 15 Oct 2013 12:36:11 44,769 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    As a comparison, McLaren has never been called 'Vodafone Racing'. Vodafone pay to appear on McLaren cars, and pay more if McLaren cars are more successful. Red Bull own and run a racing team.

• askew 15 Oct 2013 12:36:39 12,592 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I quite liked the cola :(
  • mcmonkeyplc 15 Oct 2013 12:38:59 39,521 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Did they make money out of the space jump?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Psychotext 15 Oct 2013 12:39:03 54,822 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    askew wrote:
    I quite liked the cola :(
    Yeah, it was about as good / bad as any of the other main brand colas.

Edited by Psychotext at 12:39:17 15-10-2013
  • LeoliansBro 15 Oct 2013 12:41:05 44,769 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Well, no. But to follow my logic, they organised the space jump attempt. They didn't pay to appear on the side of someone else's balloon. This is admittedly a greyer area, and in fact in this instance I'm not sure what the structure was as it's a one-off, but do you see the distinction?

• nickthegun 15 Oct 2013 12:43:01 61,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I suppose it boils down to the cost of the space jump versus advertising to every man, woman and child able to turn on the TV and/or use the internet.

Yeah, it cost a lot, but for a week the words 'Red Bull' were mentioned on every newspaper, news program and twitter post in the world.

• Deleted user 15 October 2013 12:43:06
    They're an interesting brand model for sure. Really what was an extremely aggressive sponsorship strategy has evolved into something more lucrative (ownership) but their product is still the drink, and still do an enormous amount of more traditional sponsorship type stuff as well.

They're somewhere in the middle of a "sports branding company" and a drinks company, but the drink is still at the core of their brand. It is fundamentally what they do.
  • mcmonkeyplc 15 Oct 2013 12:43:57 39,521 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    Well, no. But to follow my logic, they organised the space jump attempt. They didn't pay to appear on the side of someone else's balloon. This is admittedly a greyer area, and in fact in this instance I'm not sure what the structure was as it's a one-off, but do you see the distinction?
    Yes, but they do sponsor as well.

• Psychotext 15 Oct 2013 12:46:23 54,822 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The advertising professionals reckon that space jump was "worth" anywhere from $50m to $100m to their brand.

Fuck knows how they run the numbers on that sort of thing though.
  • mcmonkeyplc 15 Oct 2013 12:50:36 39,521 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That space jump was fucking amazing. More companies should sponsor space events :)

• nickthegun 15 Oct 2013 12:52:35 61,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    COKE ADDS LIFE

• The-Bodybuilder 15 Oct 2013 12:52:53 14,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well the idea of a flying man from space does give credence that red bull indeed gives you wings, so...
  • LeoliansBro 15 Oct 2013 12:53:31 44,769 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    They're an interesting brand model for sure. Really what was an extremely aggressive sponsorship strategy has evolved into something more lucrative (ownership) but their product is still the drink, and still do an enormous amount of more traditional sponsorship type stuff as well.

They're somewhere in the middle of a "sports branding company" and a drinks company, but the drink is still at the core of their brand. It is fundamentally what they do.
    Yeah that's fair. I can't really think of any parallels either (we'll ignore the Sports Direct shenanigans).

• Dougs 15 Oct 2013 13:11:47 69,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Well the idea of a flying man from space does give credence that red bull indeed gives you wings, so...
    Wasn't that kind of the point?
  • Deleted user 15 October 2013 13:27:46
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    kalel wrote:

Yeah that's fair. I can't really think of any parallels either (we'll ignore the Sports Direct shenanigans).
    There's one or two brands that transcend beyond a product and just become a sort of nebulous entity brand, applying the same principles to whatever they turn their hand to. Virgin is the classic example. Google are sort of in that territory now, although still fundamentally an internet thing. Red Bull are kind of starting to get into that territory.
  • nickthegun 15 Oct 2013 13:59:45 61,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I remember the halcyon days of good looking women roaming through pubs, giving out fags.

It made your night when the marlboro lights girls turned up.

• Deleted user 15 October 2013 14:00:36
    They were (and probably still are) very involved with student stuff. We had loads of Red Bull sponsored events when I was at uni, and quite a few students were Red Bull reps and got Red Bull fridges in their houses and stuff. I think one guy even got a free car that was covered in Red Bull logos.
  • Mr_Sleep 15 Oct 2013 14:10:21 17,295 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I remember a rep once came to a business I worked at to sell us hair gel that looked, smelled and had the consistency of jizz. I figured that he'd been whacking it out and bottling it after watching There's Something About Mary.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Syrette 15 Oct 2013 14:15:52 44,101 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Quality gif usage there.

• kentmonkey 15 Oct 2013 14:18:08 20,883 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Psychotext wrote:
    The advertising professionals reckon that space jump was "worth" anywhere from $50m to $100m to their brand.

Fuck knows how they run the numbers on that sort of thing though.
    "How many people watched the TV show, bought the magazines and newspapers that featured an article, saw the advert and listened to a radio interview about the jump"
    "Erm...hold on....apparently everything adds up to 82m people sir"
    "And what's the average cost of all those avenues, per user"
    "Erm....let's see...TV is a dollar...mags are 32...newspapers 6....about 61c sir"
    "Right so that's........$50m. So we'll say $50m-100m and we're cooking"

That will be, essentially, it. Whether anybody actually took in the brand or not, or even knew Red Bull were sponsoring (I hadn't recalled that fact at all - my memory is a nutter jumped out a space shuttle but then I'm pretty good at blocking out marketing), it doesn't matter. They'll take the fact that anyone who visited a page with that one, or bought a paper with that story in, will have been exposed to it. It's what marketing people call 'advertising value'. It's what anyone else called 'made up bullshit'.
  • RedSparrows 15 Oct 2013 14:21:52 23,926 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bloody adverts.
  • The-Bodybuilder 15 Oct 2013 15:03:11 14,401 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Wasn't that kind of the point?
    Not exactly.
    I don't think Red Bull were claiming it was due to their drink. Just a very big marketing stunt.
  • Dougs 15 Oct 2013 15:07:47 69,125 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That's what I meant. They were making the connection between their strap line for one of their products and the event they were paying for. Synergy, or some such. Not that Red Bull allows you to plummet from the sky.
  • oceanmotion 15 Oct 2013 15:08:16 16,099 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Proper football is back this Saturday.

Hopefully no internationals for 6 months.
  • Page

of 5621 First / Last