The all-new Premier League thread Page 4185

• Page

of 5468 First / Last

• kentmonkey 13 Oct 2013 11:14:14 20,683 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They'd be better off buying up an Italian team.

a) they need the money and
    b) it wouldn't take much now to get a team into the CL in that league.
  • kentmonkey 13 Oct 2013 11:31:17 20,683 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Agreed, but only if they get CL really. And that is there ultimate aim more than anything it would appear.

If you bought, say, Fiorentina, and got them not only into the CL but the latter stages, you've got good money coming in and also a really strong local support. Equally players that want to play in Italy would most likely come to your club, because other clubs may not be as attractive. Biggest fish, medium sized pond.

In England you could be one of seven competing to get into the CL and, if you're not in the CL, you're not likely to get that global following anywhere near as easily.
  • Syrette 13 Oct 2013 11:52:48 43,450 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    arials101 wrote:
    Thiago Ilori plays for Portugal u21s, but he's another player that Uncle Woy has targeted for the England set up.
    That sounds about right - if you play for Liverpool you seem to get fasttracked into the England side, regardless of whether you're actually good enough/there are better alternatives elsewhere (albeit at smaller clubs).

To be fair, Hodgson does like Rickie Lambert but he's an obvious choice. I'd like to know why Sterling is a better option than the likes of Redmond. If we're going on current form, there's no competition (Sterling can't even get into the Liverpool side atm). Unless this is a still a political thing to stop him playing for Jamaica.

• The-Bodybuilder 13 Oct 2013 11:53:56 14,198 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    As an investor, you really don't want the risk of your club being assisted with the racism and ultra of buying an Italian club.

Truth is the PL alone would give them the visibility they need. CL is added bonus.

Wouldn't mind them trying, just to see it being a monumental fail.
    West Ham would surely be the most viable, decent London support (though nearly equal to the Italian ultras), new world class stadium soon, and space for a new training ground (they bloody need it).

Personally I think they have a better chance of convincing a smaller London based club to give up their history to become Red Bull FC 2. Charlton would be a great shout.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Oct 2013 11:55:33 14,198 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who's Redmond?
  • Syrette 13 Oct 2013 12:04:11 43,450 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They should buy Cardiff, can't be any worse than Tan.

• Shikasama 13 Oct 2013 12:19:51 6,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Won't be long before Jenkinson boots Walker from the international team.

Honestly on current form (and most of last season) Walker shouldn't be in the Spurs team.
  • Tom_Servo 13 Oct 2013 12:28:45 17,951 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really thought Spurs would buy new RB/LBs. Walker and Rose are so clearly the weak link whenever I've seen Spurs play.

Walker in particular drives me mad. Constantly caught up the park, slow to get back... he reminds me of Alan Hutton a bit, minus the crazy tackles.
  • President_Weasel 13 Oct 2013 12:30:40 9,302 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I thought Jenkinson was Finnish?
  • Syrette 13 Oct 2013 12:32:05 43,450 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rose was outstanding for Sunderland last season, I think he's got a massive future ahead of him.

• askew 13 Oct 2013 12:37:43 12,266 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    He's got some background there, but got his England cap earlier this year.
  • morriss 13 Oct 2013 12:40:11 70,976 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I really thought Spurs would buy new RB/LBs. Walker and Rose are so clearly the weak link whenever I've seen Spurs play.

Walker in particular drives me mad. Constantly caught up the park, slow to get back... he reminds me of Alan Hutton a bit, minus the crazy tackles.
    Yeah, easily our weakest area. I'd rather play Kaboul at RB and Vertonghen at LB, tbh.
  • TheSaint 13 Oct 2013 13:34:30 14,375 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You know things are bad if Johnson is considered the best right back we've got. He shouldn't have been allowed any near the England team after his performance in the last Euros.
  • Dougs 13 Oct 2013 14:17:15 67,691 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    askew wrote:
    President_Weasel wrote:
    He's got some background there, but got his England cap earlier this year.
    His Mum is Finnish and he played for their U21s, but England bussed him in for some meaningless friendly. I think he'll be considered in a year or two but shouldn't be until he displaces Sagna, who has started the season in storming form.

Also agree re Walker, never looks up to it to me.
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Oct 2013 14:26:26 17,062 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's a shame Lowton started the season in bad form, he was brilliant during the last ten games of last season and would not have looked out of place in the England side.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Syrette 13 Oct 2013 14:51:12 43,450 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @TheSaint

I'd like to see Lallana get a more regular place in the England set-up. I really rate him and more importantly, he's done well for my FF team in the last two gameweeks.

• TheSaint 13 Oct 2013 16:00:53 14,375 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah I said a couple of pages back that I think he'll be in the squad before too long. Probably not ready for it yet but a good prospect for the future.
  • Trowel 13 Oct 2013 21:22:36 17,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good piece here on [link url=http://www.violett-weiss.at/img/20060113FSF.pdf]"the murder of Austria
    Salzburg by pan-European drinks giants, Red Bull"[/link]
  • Trowel 13 Oct 2013 21:23:35 17,751 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    FFS, they're really killed the hyperlinking on here haven't they:

http://www.violett-weiss.at/img/20060113FSF.pdf
  • RichieTenenbaum 13 Oct 2013 21:38:42 2,209 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    FFS, they're really killed the hyperlinking on here haven't they:

http://www.violett-weiss.at/img/20060113FSF.pdf
    Great article. Cheers
  • Psychotext 14 Oct 2013 21:53:33 54,187 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Got invited to watch Chelsea vs Cardiff next weekend.

Any particularly good way to get there (from the West) on match day? I want to drive most of the way but I'm assuming it's probably a good idea to swap to the tube or something at some point.
  • cheeky_prawnking 14 Oct 2013 22:03:48 4,574 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Where are you coming from? Trains from reading go to Putney usually most Chelsea fans get off there. Will be about an hour on the train I would think.
  • robc84 14 Oct 2013 22:05:59 5,608 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:

Yeah, easily our weakest area. I'd rather play Kaboul at RB and Vertonghen at LB, tbh.
    Kaboul did a great job a couple of seasons back at rb. Thing is, he is arguably our best cb when fit so seems a waste to stick him on the right. Similar with verts. Walker has potential but needs to work on his defensive game. Wouldn't mind naughton given a few games at rb just to give walker a kick up the backside.

Jury still out on rose, although again, the potential seems to be there. We need strengthening in that area though no doubt.
  • FWB 14 Oct 2013 22:09:33 44,572 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    M4 into West London, park, District line? Chiswick has free parking Saturday and the pubs are nice around there if you want to do something afterwards.
  • Psychotext 14 Oct 2013 22:14:28 54,187 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Cheers both. Either option is an improvement on 6 hours on a train. Would much rather be driving.
  • Mr_Sleep 14 Oct 2013 22:25:29 17,062 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The district line that Putney and Fulham are on is the Wimbledon branch, so Chiswick may not be a good fit. Getting on to the Wimbledon branch of the district line or the train to Fulham would be a better option imo.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Page

of 5468 First / Last