The all-new Premier League thread Page 4171

• Page

of 5420 First / Last

• Shikasama 6 Oct 2013 21:26:16 6,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I'd argue that we are playing a combination of the two styles this season.

We do play some long balls but they are often cross field switches of play, not the route one speculative style favoured by West Ham. The main improvement this year has been the defence. Last year at this stage we had the worst defence in the league and this season we have the best only conceding two in the league all season.

Having seen us play West Ham this season I think it's unfair to suggest we play anything like them.
    That's all fair enough. I don't think it's a bad thing by the way. Much better to be doing that and being where you are than being Norwich and where THEY are.
  • faux_carnation 6 Oct 2013 21:52:28 9,272 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Dunno if you can call Southampton 'superb'. They've been functional and that's got them points.
    I dunno. They do the high press so well it makes it really hard to play against them, and they are playing consistently well in an inconsistent league. Not sure what else they'd need to do to be considered superb.
    They're playing percentage football where last season they tried to dance around teams. This year they are doing better.

You can't praise it for Pochettino and slam it for Allardyce. Hell, before today they hadn't had a midfielder score a goal.
    I don't think anyone attacks Allardyce for that any more anyway. He's certainly no Pulis.
  • MrFlay 7 Oct 2013 02:12:49 692 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Spurslol. Had to say it.

I saw most of the Arsenal match and West Brom should've won. They played very well in the second half. Amaltifano looks a very good loan so far and Sessegnon should be at a bigger club. Long looked lively when he came on and won some headers and caused some problems. I thought he should have had a penalty when Koscielny jumped into him and missed the ball right at the end.

Spurs looked quite poor against West Ham despite having some chances and having quite a bit of possession. Erikson wasn't great and seems like he'll struggle a bit when put under sustained pressure and he doesn't work hard enough without the ball. Lamela looks even worse however. I think Spurs will struggle to create chances at times when Erikson isn't playing well as they lack creativity in midfield and they don't have a striker like Suarez or Rooney who can create chances. Soldado is a good player but they overpaid quite a bit considering his age.
  • TheSaint 7 Oct 2013 10:09:25 14,315 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Watching MOTD2 this morning our disallowed goal was as ridiculous as it first appeared. Refs need to have the balls to change their mind when they realise they've made a mistake (which he clearly did in awarding the corner that nobody had appealed for).

Giving a free kick for non-existent pushing when we subsequently put the ball in the net from said corner to try and level things up and cover his mistake is ridiculous.
  • RedSparrows 7 Oct 2013 10:11:28 22,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So Redknapp's been bitching about the FA + England job. Pretty understandable, and the FA are crap, but he also has a bit of a pop (or it could be read as a bit of a pop) at Hodgson. Hodgson is perhaps not the ideal candidate (who is, actually?) and England are hardly brilliant at the moment, but srsly?
  • TheSaint 7 Oct 2013 10:14:51 14,315 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well in fairness the FA knew not to choose a manager who went on to get QPR relegated despite spending millions.
  • RedSparrows 7 Oct 2013 10:16:13 22,332 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Oh aye, I'm hardly a fan of Redknapp.
  • nickthegun 7 Oct 2013 10:19:08 59,525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, theres the train of thought that, at international level, the players are of a sufficient quality, all you really need is a personality like redknapps to put an arm around the shoulder or deliver rockets up arses as necessary.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• TheSaint 7 Oct 2013 10:24:03 14,315 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Having read the article is just seems like sour grapes. I'd wager we wouldn't be in any better position now if Redknapp was in charge.

What we really needs is a manger who'll put an arm around players like Lampard, Gerrard and Cole and tell them to retire from International football so that we can start bringing younger players into the team.
  • nickthegun 7 Oct 2013 10:26:23 59,525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The problem is the only thing rising out of the ashes of the golden generation is a generation of shite.

• kalel 7 Oct 2013 10:27:30 87,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have little doubt that Harry would have done a pretty good job for England. It was the perfect match. He'd have got to be the part-time manager that he wants to be, and the likes of Lampard, Rooney and Gerrard would have enjoyed playing for England again.

As ever, his big mouth and bigger ego were the ruin of him though.
  • President_Weasel 7 Oct 2013 10:32:23 9,208 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The problem is the only thing rising out of the ashes of the golden generation is a generation of shite.
    The problem is the perception of them as any kind of "golden generation" in the first place. Golden generations win things.
  • Youthist 7 Oct 2013 10:34:52 10,011 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think the fact the FA have an awareness behind the scenes of how bent he is actually was the primary driver for not wanting to go there at the time despite it being the "popular" (sun readers) choice.

Given the way he took QPR down subsequently, I think they are probably quite pleased about it - as it gets them out of having to defend the decision.

Hodgson is fucking awful though, but exactly the political type they want.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• kalel 7 Oct 2013 10:40:34 87,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm not sure they were so worried about him being bent, as him being a very outspoken highly opinionated PR whore that lets everything slide off his own shoulders. Hodgson is much more stoic which is nice for the FA.
  • kalel 7 Oct 2013 10:41:46 87,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also Roy was presumably a far cheaper option, which would have been a big factor considering how much Capello cost all in.
  • nickthegun 7 Oct 2013 10:43:39 59,525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    The problem is the perception of them as any kind of "golden generation" in the first place. Golden generations win things.
    They had the talent to win things and should have at least seen us through to a final. They had several champions league trophies between them and were considered some of the best players in the world in their positions.

Its just that they played like cunts whenever they put on an england shirt.

• kalel 7 Oct 2013 10:44:16 87,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss is going to jizz the place down if this happens:

Fabrizio Romano ‏@FabRomano211m
    Vialli revealed on Sky Italy that Andrea Pirlo is having contacts with Tottenham for next season. He'll be free contract on june #THFC #COYS

Fabrizio Romano ‏@FabRomano2137s
    Gianluca Vialli on Sky Italy: "I heard some rumors about contacts between Andrea Pirlo and Tottenham for next season" #THFC #COYS
  • Youthist 7 Oct 2013 10:47:22 10,011 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Euro2004 squad. Should have been good enough to do something. (some shockers in there though!).

1 GK David James
    2 DF Gary Neville
    3 DF Ashley Cole
    4 MF Steven Gerrard
    5 DF John Terry
    6 DF Sol Campbell
    7 MF David Beckham
    8 MF Paul Scholes
    9 FW Wayne Rooney
    10 FW Michael Owen
    11 MF Frank Lampard
    12 DF Wayne Bridge
    13 GK Paul Robinson
    14 DF Phil Neville
    15 DF Ledley King
    16 DF Jamie Carragher
    17 MF Nicky Butt
    18 MF Owen Hargreaves
    19 MF Joe Cole
    20 MF Kieron Dyer
    21 FW Emile Heskey
    22 GK Ian Walker
    23 FW Darius Vassell

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• nickthegun 7 Oct 2013 10:49:52 59,525 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Honestly, what we wouldnt give for that team again.

• Youthist 7 Oct 2013 10:53:28 10,011 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or the team that turned Germany over 1-5 3 years before:

K 1 David Seaman (Arsenal)
    RB 2 Gary Neville (Manchester United)
    LB 3 Ashley Cole (Arsenal)
    CM 4 Steven Gerrard (Liverpool) Substituted off 78'
    CB 5 Rio Ferdinand (Leeds United)
    CB 6 Sol Campbell (Arsenal)
    RM 7 David Beckham (Manchester United) (c)
    CM 8 Paul Scholes (Manchester United) Substituted off 83'
    CF 9 Emile Heskey (Liverpool) Booked 54'
    CF 10 Michael Owen (Liverpool)
    LM 11 Nicky Barmby (Liverpool) Substituted off 64'
    Substitutes:
    DF 12 Gareth Southgate (Middlesbrough)
    GK 13 Nigel Martyn (Leeds United)
    MF 14 Owen Hargreaves (Bayern Munich) Substituted in 78'
    DF 15 Jamie Carragher (Liverpool) Substituted in 83'
    MF 16 Steve McManaman (Real Madrid) Substituted in 64'
    FW 17 Andrew Cole (Manchester United)
    FW 18 Robbie Fowler (Liverpool)

• Youthist 7 Oct 2013 10:53:42 10,011 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Andy Cole and Fowler on the bench..!

• kalel 7 Oct 2013 10:53:46 87,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We were pretty competitive under Sven I think. We underachieved in 2004/6, but at least we were going out to big teams in the actual proper tournaments. I wouldn't have expected us to do that much better.

It's since then that we've really been dramatically underachieving (or not depending on how highly you rate the players).
  • imamazed 7 Oct 2013 10:54:35 5,535 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I remember Ledely King was absolutely immense against France in Euro 2004.
  • BeardedGamerUK 7 Oct 2013 10:55:13 1,365 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    SFD wrote:
    Spurs lol
    This :D Rather happy with how we did against them yesterday :)
  • Youthist 7 Oct 2013 10:57:34 10,011 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    We were pretty competitive under Sven I think. We underachieved in 2004/6, but at least we were going out to big teams in the actual proper tournaments. I wouldn't have expected us to do that much better.

It's since then that we've really been dramatically underachieving (or not depending on how highly you rate the players).
    Yep. We drew 0-0 with Algeria in 2010 group stages, which led us to playing Germany in round 2, and we know what happened there. Pathetic in that Algeria match, they really, really were.

• TheSaint 7 Oct 2013 10:57:46 14,315 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I only saw MOTD2 but I thought Spurs looked quite unlucky. It appeared they dominated most of the game and just got hit on the break.

West Ham really are the new Stoke.
  • kalel 7 Oct 2013 11:01:15 87,120 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    I only saw MOTD2 but I thought Spurs looked quite unlucky. It appeared they dominated most of the game and just got hit on the break.

West Ham really are the new Stoke.
    West Ham got it exactly right. They nullified our attacks and took their chances well. It was textbook stuff. Fair play to them.

We'll be OK though. We'll get better and better as the team gel, and as the season goes on we'll have strength in depth where some of our competitors won't. I'm expecting us to have a very strong second half of the season (and frankly so far we're going fine all things considered).
  • neems 7 Oct 2013 11:17:16 1,217 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Damn it Kalel you're supposed to be a gibbering wreck this morning, none of this sensible and fair appraisal bullshit.
  • mcmonkeyplc 7 Oct 2013 11:18:25 39,442 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shouldn't we only call it the golden generation if they win something?

They won fuck all at international level.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• robc84 7 Oct 2013 11:21:20 5,521 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    neems wrote:
    Damn it Kalel you're supposed to be a gibbering wreck this morning, none of this sensible and fair appraisal bullshit.
    I'm a gibbering wreck! I was yesterday afternoon anyway. It was the shock of the result really. I mean... how dare they!
  • Page

of 5420 First / Last