The all-new Premier League thread Page 4153

• Page

of 5619 First / Last

• morriss 30 Sep 2013 07:08:56 71,283 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SSN's feed saying he could get extended ban.
  • PazJohnMitch 30 Sep 2013 07:13:39 8,617 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    It's for much the same reason that I'm not getting carried away with Arsenal's start. We've had a decent run of fixtures, we won all the same games last season.
    In fact you are probably doing worse. You beat Villa at home last season. :p
  • Dougs 30 Sep 2013 07:17:01 69,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    True enough!

Assume the ref has confirmed be booked Torres for the trip, not the girly scratch.
  • vijay_UK 30 Sep 2013 07:27:08 2,318 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Re. Sturridge acting like he scored a genuine goal when he knew full well it came off his arm.

I don't see why it's not the same as diving to win a pen - he cheated. He should have gone straight away to the ref and said it came off his arm and allowed the ref the opportunity to chalk off the goal if he is allowed to do so.

Sunderland looked like they could have got something out of the game if the first goal was not given.
  • King_Edward 30 Sep 2013 07:33:32 11,467 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He should do that, but it's hard to believe there are many players that would do that.
  • MadCaddy13 30 Sep 2013 07:34:47 2,038 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The fans would turn I'd wager
  • faux-C 30 Sep 2013 08:03:58 9,531 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Re. Sturridge acting like he scored a genuine goal when he knew full well it came off his arm.

I don't see why it's not the same as diving to win a pen - he cheated. He should have gone straight away to the ref and said it came off his arm and allowed the ref the opportunity to chalk off the goal if he is allowed to do so.
    That's total bullplop. No one in the world would do that.
  • FWB 30 Sep 2013 08:15:10 45,215 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Ahem...

http://youtu.be/TJBRg1jA7AQ

But most wouldn't.
  • FutileResistor 30 Sep 2013 10:01:43 1,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Handball has to be deliberate to be given. Sturridge did not handle the ball deliberately, so the decision not to give handball is correct. This is basic stuff and there is no controversy here at all if you understand the rule.

Save your anger for the one referees constantly get wrong, where the attacker smashes the ball into a defender's arm from two feet away, and the defender hasn't even registered that the ball is going towards his arm, let alone have time to get it out of the way.
  • Widge Moderator 30 Sep 2013 10:21:30 13,728 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Usually that one is validated through the fact that the player has not kept their arms to their body?

It's a bloody wooly grey area to say the least.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• robc84 30 Sep 2013 10:26:56 5,986 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Usually that one is validated through the fact that the player has not kept their arms to their body?

It's a bloody wooly grey area to say the least.
    It's really hard for the refs sometimes. It's not natural to dive in to block a shot with your arms by your side and I think those hand balls when given are harsh.

Like you say, massive grey area that needs clarification I think. To me deliberate hand ball is say jumping for a header with your arm above your head for example. Not the ball hitting your hand when blocking a shot or cross from close range.
  • FutileResistor 30 Sep 2013 10:49:08 1,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Clearly it is sometimes difficult to judge intent but I don't think it's a matter of debate if an attacker thunders a ball into your arm/hand from a couple of feet as you go in to block with your foot.

Your arm is never by your side if you're moving, in fact it's completely unnatural to have your arms stuck to your body when moving. Try and walk or run with your arms stuck to your body, it's ridiculously uncomfortable to do so without the counter-balancing arm movements. But because refs constantly get this call wrong, you see defenders frequently with their arms behind their back (hampering their own ability to quickly move and close down)when blocking a shot.

If you're deliberately spreading your arms out wide, or waving them up and down like you're trying to make a snow angel, then yes, even if the striker smashes the ball at you from a foot, that's a pen.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 30 Sep 2013 11:10:43 808 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Or you could go down the Spanish route and book virtually every handball.
    In last season's la liga there were 133 yellow cards given for handball, compared to 30 in serie a, and 14 in the premier league.

Arsechickens

• imamazed 30 Sep 2013 11:13:36 5,902 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    STATISTICS
  • Mr_Sleep 30 Sep 2013 11:16:02 17,293 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Jason Roberts has taken up the mantle of the most passionate of pundits. Not sure who he has taken that mantle from as most of them seem to have none. I quite like him as a pundit, same with Peter Schmeichel, good stuff from MOTD2.

Another thing from yesterday, Mark Hughes comes out of that post-match interview looking good imo, his comments around his players and the decisions that Stoke didn't get were quite different to many managers in the league (possibly including Lambert in that), I like it when a manager doesn't hide his team behind the referees crap decisions.

You are a factory of sadness.

• FutileResistor 30 Sep 2013 11:19:39 1,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    Or you could go down the Spanish route and book virtually every handball.
    In last season's la liga there were 133 yellow cards given for handball, compared to 30 in serie a, and 14 in the premier league.
    That is absolutely the worst way to go. If you've ever played football and had a clear unintentional handball penalty decision go against you, you'll understand my sentiment.
  • nickthegun 30 Sep 2013 11:23:44 61,056 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/united-fans-enjoying-novelty-of-detesting-manager-2013093079912

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• ILoveThrashMetal 30 Sep 2013 11:29:54 808 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @FutileResistor I wasn't suggesting you go down that road. And in no way am I in favour of it coming into our game. But you can see why they do it. Players would have to adapt their game, just like they have had to with tackling.

Arsechickens

• TheSaint 30 Sep 2013 11:35:22 14,717 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Refs are terrified of giving penalties for deliberate handballs in the premier league. It's almost like they've been told not to or to try and avoid it as much as possible.
  • ILoveThrashMetal 30 Sep 2013 11:37:08 808 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @TheSaint it seems the total opposite in la liga

Arsechickens

• mcmonkeyplc 30 Sep 2013 11:37:23 39,515 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/sport/sport-headlines/united-fans-enjoying-novelty-of-detesting-manager-2013093079912
    That's not funny!

Yes it is :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Deleted user 30 September 2013 11:49:41
    El_MUERkO wrote:
    Yes. Why should Man Utd be beating them?
    With all due respect to West Brom, any team looking to win the league or even come in the top four should be expecting to win every home game, or perhaps draw against the very top teams.

Bad results in the derbies against City and Liverpool can be excused, but there's no covering up the fact that a home loss to West Brom is a pretty awful result.
  • nickthegun 30 Sep 2013 12:01:40 61,056 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The big three have, basically, fucked my fantasy league team this year.

• Deleted user 30 September 2013 12:06:41
    Shikasama wrote:
    Like when people were saying Pellegrini was useless and out of his depth after he got beat by Cardiff.
    Not sure if that's aimed at me, but i think with him it's more of a case of him not quite knowing the league, rather than being out his depth. He's almost more likely to do well against better (more European) teams at this stage. I remember Ramos was similar at Spurs. We'd give the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal a good game and would then lose to Boro.
  • thedaveeyres 30 Sep 2013 12:07:21 11,476 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The big three have, basically, fucked my fantasy league team this year.
    I thought Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool were doing rather well myself.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• nickthegun 30 Sep 2013 12:09:48 61,056 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Yup, same
    'Fuck it, I'll leave them in. They have to beat west brom'

• FutileResistor 30 Sep 2013 12:11:03 1,238 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ILoveThrashMetal wrote:
    @FutileResistor I wasn't suggesting you go down that road. And in no way am I in favour of it coming into our game. But you can see why they do it. Players would have to adapt their game, just like they have had to with tackling.
    You can't "adapt" to unintentional handball. You would have to accept stupid decisions for the sake of convenience of interpretation. It can't satisfy anyone's sense of fair play and justice to get a card and a penalty against them if an attacker smashes a ball off your knee and have it ping into a defending arm.

Again, I'm back to using video tech to get as many decisions correct as possible. We should be using it to help refs.

Tackling is different and I'm fine with the changes to the interpretation for dangerous tackling. I am all for head-on, studs-up, straight-legged, full body-weight behind the challenge tackles to be outlawed. Again, if you've played football you will understand that it doesn't take bravery or being a "hard man" to make this kind of challenge (the tackler is rarely hurt). It just takes the complete disregard for the safety of an opponent.
  • Page

of 5619 First / Last