The all-new Premier League thread Page 4133

  • Page

    of 4885 First / Last

  • Shikasama 24 Sep 2013 09:00:33 6,276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's Gareth Barry syndrome. Like that tournament I can never quite remember where Gareth Barry was injured for the first game and was declared to be the only thing that could save England in the next.
  • reddevil93 24 Sep 2013 09:07:51 11,247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Still can't comprehend how Mpyes thought it was a good idea to sit back and play on the counter against City when it's been teams like Stoke and Cardiff (and his Everton teams of the past few years) who've got right in their faces and pressured them who've had joy recently.

    3 in midfield and a lot of energy was the way to go and it showed in the second half.

  • nickthegun 24 Sep 2013 09:12:11 55,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I know top teams dont sell each other players (other than arsenal) but utd could do worse than go in for mata this christmas.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • thedaveeyres 24 Sep 2013 09:17:54 9,710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Utd could be facing a brain drain (if such a term were in any way applicable to footballers) at Christmas if their form doesn't improve. I can't see Rooney and RvP, possibly a few more, being happy if they're not challenging.

    D****** ******r

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Sep 2013 09:18:05 13,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If Mourinho wouldn't give us Demba Ba, don't ever expect him to give Mata to United.

    Especially as they blocked all his attempts to get Rooney.

    No, Josť would rather Mata rot as Mikel waits another decade or so to score his next league goal.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Sep 2013 09:19:36 13,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    Utd could be facing a brain drain (if such a term were in any way applicable to footballers) at Christmas if their form doesn't improve. I can't see Rooney and RvP, possibly a few more, being happy if they're not challenging.
    RVP especially, and that will manifest on the pitch.
  • Punctum 24 Sep 2013 09:23:01 847 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    3 in midfield and a lot of energy was the way to go and it showed in the second half.
    Agree with this. Our central midfielders aren't good enough to play with 2 in the middle and our wingers aren't good enough to play as a 4.
  • kalel 24 Sep 2013 09:27:18 83,875 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If Chelsea are prepared to buy players to stop their opposition strengthening, they're certainly not selling their best platers to them.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Sep 2013 09:33:09 13,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow, Di Canio sounds like a proper bellend.
    Banning staff other than coaches to talk or be in the presence of the first team?

    I'm surprised no player chinned him. Hope he never gets a top flight job, or any in the UK, and I doubt he'll get any media roles either.

    Really hope he disappears and ends up managing Cape Verde or something.
  • thedaveeyres 24 Sep 2013 09:35:17 9,710 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I heard that Cattermole had him by the throat at the last team meeting.

    Ronaldo is exceptionally good at getting back and protecting his full back, as it goes.

    D****** ******r

    XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Sep 2013 09:35:32 13,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    If Chelsea are prepared to buy players to stop their opposition strengthening, they're certainly not selling their best platers to them.
    Yup. Especially after the wild goose chase he sent us on, knowing he had no intention of selling Ba to us and thus ensuring we didn't get a striker.

    Has Willian even played a minute yet?
  • kalel 24 Sep 2013 09:37:30 83,875 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Presumably Di Canio will get some sort of job at Lazio at some stage. They absolutely adore him, plus Italians dig that whole mental dictator thing generally.
  • reddevil93 24 Sep 2013 09:37:44 11,247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did Mourinho not say that he can afford one of his AMs to not do tracking back but he would prefer that to be Oscar and that's why he's getting the nod over Mata in the #10 role?

  • kalel 24 Sep 2013 09:38:01 83,875 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    If Chelsea are prepared to buy players to stop their opposition strengthening, they're certainly not selling their best platers to them.
    Yup. Especially after the wild goose chase he sent us on, knowing he had no intention of selling Ba to us and thus ensuring we didn't get a striker.

    Has Willian even played a minute yet?
    Think he played in the Basel game.

    Haha.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 24 Sep 2013 09:43:33 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Presumably Di Canio will get some sort of job at Lazio at some stage. They absolutely adore him, plus Italians dig that whole mental dictator thing generally.
    I bet they drew straws for who told him. Not an enemy I'd like. Horses head in your bed.
  • robc84 24 Sep 2013 10:22:46 4,350 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Chelsea probably did us a favour by nicking Wilian anyway. We ended with Eriksen for less than half the price!

    I don't know much about Wilian, but is he the sort of player who will track back? I'm guessing not.

    I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho is only keeping Mata out of the side to keep the attention on himself. I can understand the need for wingers to track back, but surely not a 'no. 10'?
  • kalel 24 Sep 2013 10:24:47 83,875 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I think we've probably lucked out a bit with the whole Willian thing. I'm sure he's a fantastic player but £30m was a huge amount to spend, and Eriksen is looking like a phenomenal buy which we would have missed out on. It's worked out well for us.
  • robc84 24 Sep 2013 10:29:36 4,350 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Maybe it was our plan all along to make one of our rivals waste £30m while getting a better player for a fraction of the price? :)
  • Shikasama 24 Sep 2013 10:37:24 6,276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Ozil certainly do any tracking back at Real.

    That's sort of Mourinho's point though, as he sees it Oscar is his No10 so if Mata wants to play he'll play on the wing. If he plays on the wing he needs to track back.

    Only Mourinho could have a Juan Mata and wish for a James Milner.
  • nickthegun 24 Sep 2013 10:39:43 55,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seems that most of the main targets are set to turn down sunderland because they believe their DoF to be incompetent.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • President_Weasel 24 Sep 2013 11:02:53 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    It's Gareth Barry syndrome. Like that tournament I can never quite remember where Gareth Barry was injured for the first game and was declared to be the only thing that could save England in the next.
    I agree with you to some extent (heh, weasel words from President Weasel) but I think it's more a worry about Moyes not considering alternatives. He can't have seen what Kagawa has to offer, and even if he was signed to increase the chance of getting a better Official Small-to-Medium Output Diesel Generator Partner in Japan Moyes should at least put him on the bench so that when Young proves to be shit he can try a plan B.
  • Shikasama 24 Sep 2013 11:16:03 6,276 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Oh aye, I like Kagawa generally but his sudden messianic status is rather bewildering.

    I watched the Palace game and was amazed at just how slow the ball moved and how genuinely rubbish Young and Valencia where. It's weird when you consider there are dynamic, direct players like Nani and Zaha just sat there.

    I'm sympathetic to the idea of just biting the bullet and throwing janujaz, zaha, kagawa etc at the pitch and seeing what happens.
  • Dougs 24 Sep 2013 11:18:07 64,902 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    i_hadacheeseburger wrote:
    Kagawa to a certain extent at the minute.

    Ginola had to be one of those players fans of other clubs can't help but like.
    I could, I thought he was a cunt and relished Dixon putting him in the stands when he faced him.
  • President_Weasel 24 Sep 2013 11:29:45 8,604 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Oh aye, I like Kagawa generally but his sudden messianic status is rather bewildering.

    I watched the Palace game and was amazed at just how slow the ball moved and how genuinely rubbish Young and Valencia where. It's weird when you consider there are dynamic, direct players like Nani and Zaha just sat there.

    I'm sympathetic to the idea of just biting the bullet and throwing janujaz, zaha, kagawa etc at the pitch and seeing what happens.
    That would certainly give him some breathing space. Transitional season, giving the young players a chance, 'you have to expect that sometimes there will be bad results, they're young and they're learning every game'. As opposed to 'he's Young and he's never getting better but I'm playing him anyway'. I'd think even Man U fans would give him a chance if he packed the team with exciting prospects and gave them game time.
    Could use a central defender though, someone with experience and presence. You'd need him even if you wanted to experiment with 4-3-3 or 4-2-4 or 4-1-3-2 or whatever - although there's no way Cleverley is a '1'
  • SolidSCB 24 Sep 2013 11:51:29 5,823 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    During the period where we didn't win the title for 3 years in the mid 2000's it wasn't really that frustrating. We were grooming young promising guys like Rooney and Ronaldo into title winning players. Transitional periods will always happen, but playing dogshit like Young and Cleverley week in, week out isn't going to make us any stronger down the line as they clearly can't cut it.

    Kagawa may very well turn out to be a dud, but the fact of the matter is he was the one of the best, if not the best player in an extremely dominant Dortmund side and so far he hasn't been given a run of games to show if he can do that with us. He seems to be put in for 70 minutes in some random match, usually one we are expected to win comfortably anyway, and then left out for another 2-3 games. What's frustrating to United fans is knowing there is someone with a lot of creative potential sitting on the bench, but never seeing him given a consistent run of opportunities to show if he can realise that potential.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Sep 2013 16:38:21 13,619 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Ozil certainly do any tracking back at Real.

    That's sort of Mourinho's point though, as he sees it Oscar is his No10 so if Mata wants to play he'll play on the wing. If he plays on the wing he needs to track back.

    Only Mourinho could have a Juan Mata and wish for a James Milner.
    The question then is, on what basis is Oscar better than Mata in the no.10 role? Seems Mourinho decided even before preseason that Oscar would play there and isn't even willing to give Mata the chance to fight for that spot.
  • Menace 24 Sep 2013 16:47:25 5,625 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think the issue with Kagawa (which really isn't an issue with him as such) is that he was great at Dortmund - and so was his team mates. They made better runs for him etc. Dortmund played some amazing football, as a team, and even if ManUtd won the league last season I'm sure most would agree that Dortmund played the better football. That, and he's been injured and played in internationals etc. I'd still prefer him over Young or Nani.

    www.bigbitegames.com/soccer

  • Page

    of 4885 First / Last

Log in or register to reply