The all-new Premier League thread Page 4094

• Page

of 4940 First / Last

• FWB 12 Sep 2013 21:45:51 42,065 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Of course it does, but again, they didn't have to do it. To criticise the action seems... bizarre.
  • The-Bodybuilder 12 Sep 2013 22:44:28 13,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They didn't have to do it, but the idea that they should be praised for an action that in all honesty, makes no difference to them whatsoever, is a bit odd.

Any value of an action has to be given in context of the financial conditions of the benefactors. And that's without even bringing on the fact that their infinite influx of cash has distorted wages, increasing wages all round for every other club, which in turn forces them to increase season tickets to deal with the ever increasing wages.

One could argue they are at least partially to blame for season ticket prices rising, so them not increasing theirs, when it makes little financial impact to them, isn't anything praiseworthy.
  • FWB 12 Sep 2013 22:51:40 42,065 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If it makes no difference, why do it? I think you guys just want to bash them. Doesn't matter what they do you'll bring up the owners and deflect away from the action. Suit yourselves.
  • Shikasama 13 Sep 2013 10:20:32 6,287 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Haaaaang on. Whilst match day revenue is decreasing (currently), we (and Liverpool) still need to operate as a business so have to maintain prices. We might be owned by billionaires, but they don't act in the same way as City's owners.
    Actually you don't, but you have decided to. Kroenke and Usmanov between them could give fans a free seat in every game for the next 100 years and not feel a dent. That they decide not to in order to maintain a profit is a decision they've made.

To criticise Man City for making the other decision, or suggest it isn't fantastic that their fans can see a title challenging team for less than a season ticket at West Brom is ludicrous.
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2013 10:28:56 64,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Of course it's great for their fans. But you can't ignore the realities of why they are able to do it - they simply don't have (and aren't) to run the club as a going concern. For starters, Kroenke isn't in the same league as the Sheiks. And whilst it looks great for City at the moment, do you really think they are in for the long term?
  • kalel 13 Sep 2013 10:30:10 84,037 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Meh, at least we got the benefit of them playing for us, and then the money from selling them. Let's not forget Wenger passed on the chance to buy both of them.
    So we're lucky to have signed and improved these players to an extent where the richest club in the world wants to buy them off us for what we want to sell them for?

Ok then.
    Yes.

Edited by kalel at 10:30:48 13-09-2013
  • kalel 13 Sep 2013 10:32:07 84,037 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As for City, is that not going to have significant FFP implications?
  • TheSaint 13 Sep 2013 10:33:17 13,651 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just came away from that article wondering how many fans are really buying a tea, program and pie at every game?
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2013 10:33:46 64,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, cos they'll just cover it up with more "sponsorship" from the ME.
  • nickthegun 13 Sep 2013 10:36:46 56,034 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    With the likes of Monaco and PSG, especially monaco, its hard to imagine FFP actually achieving anything.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Guff-Pipe 13 Sep 2013 10:36:53 464 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Of course it's great for their fans. But you can't ignore the realities of why they are able to do it - they simply don't have (and aren't) to run the club as a going concern. For starters, Kroenke isn't in the same league as the Sheiks. And whilst it looks great for City at the moment, do you really think they are in for the long term?
    Well, building one of the best academy's in the world, and stadium expansion to follow, suggests yes, they are in for the long term. I'm already on the waiting list for my 299 season ticket. Lovely!
  • TheSaint 13 Sep 2013 10:41:19 13,651 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Probably only fair that City have the cheapest season ticket given their fans penchant for facing the opposite way to the game.
  • RedSparrows 13 Sep 2013 10:42:13 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And fucking up despite all that lovely money. Oh lolz. Don't worry City, long way to go until you're Chelsea. Need a JTHEROLEGEND first.
  • Guff-Pipe 13 Sep 2013 10:46:16 464 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you think we are fucking up now, god knows what you thought when we were in the second division! :)
  • Dougs 13 Sep 2013 10:46:57 64,962 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Guff-Pipe wrote:
    Well, building one of the best academy's in the world, and stadium expansion to follow, suggests yes, they are in for the long term. I'm already on the waiting list for my 299 season ticket. Lovely!
    Personally, I think that's just about growing the brand and adding value. They don't even seem to be fans particularly, which is something at least Roman manages. Who knows, they have so much cash, I doubt it even registers.
  • nickthegun 13 Sep 2013 10:49:55 56,034 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    To be honest, it would be hard to care if the club were financed by Hitler if they started bringing down the price of tickets.

He totally called it

• Guff-Pipe 13 Sep 2013 10:52:51 464 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Do the owners have to be fans? Peter Swales was a fan and nearly buried the club! Is Roman a lifelong chelsea fan or just since he bought the club. Are your owners fans? I don't think it matters really.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Sep 2013 10:59:53 13,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think they are in it for the long haul. Long-ish haul at least.
    They don't have to be fans, these people seldom are. What they love, like a good girl going after a bad boy, is a project.

They have a long term project and I think that's something that they are passionate about. To say we took this club and made it one of the best in the world is motivation enough for them, without them having to be fans. They need projects, as it gives them something to do with their infinite oil money.

The question is what will happen after they've hit their target? Chances are it won't make a difference, as they club will be in a healthy place that it wouldn't matter.

They aren't here just to win the CL and f*ck off, they are here because they want to build a project. I'd say they have a better chance of staying the long haul compared to Roman.
  • Deleted user 13 September 2013 11:05:12
    Talking of tickets, the prices in germany are really low. When watching that how to be a german programme, the guy went to see bayern, and a ticket cost him 15 Euros. Which is ridicolous. A season ticket costs like 104 pound as of last year.

The last time i saw spurs way back in i think 2007 (yikes!) A ticket cost me 55 quid. Fuck knows how much they cost now.
  • mcmonkeyplc 13 Sep 2013 11:07:16 38,928 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We have the anti-money cheat on our finances :)

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Mr_Sleep 13 Sep 2013 11:19:59 16,280 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Is it possible that the Man City supporters are not the most well off bunch and the owners would rather it was a full stadium rather than pricing many of the fans out of watching the games?

You are a factory of sadness.

• The-Bodybuilder 13 Sep 2013 11:38:09 13,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well they don't need gate revenue anyway, so can afford to do that.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Sep 2013 11:40:10 13,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    If it makes no difference, why do it? I think you guys just want to bash them. Doesn't matter what they do you'll bring up trusthe owners and deflect away from the action. Suit yourselves.
    Trust me, I don't hate City. Chelsea on the other hand...
    They could also be doing it to get the fans on their side, which I think is what sleep is hinting at.
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Sep 2013 11:41:40 13,635 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Which in itself isn't a bad thing. Maybe Arsenal should take a hint from their approach.

I'm not even sure what point I'm trying to make anymore.
  • nickthegun 13 Sep 2013 11:55:37 56,034 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    They really do have to move this international period or close the transfer window earlier.

WOO! END OF TRANSFER WINDOW! NEW PLAYERS! GET HYPED!

But you cant watch them for another two weeks. Unlucky, wankers.

He totally called it

• roz123 13 Sep 2013 12:01:34 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Maybe the billionaires from Russia and Qatar will get bored after they have their home world cups. It is such a strange coincidence isn't it that FIFA picked those two countries
  • kalel 13 Sep 2013 12:04:06 84,037 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The reason these guys buy clubs in Europe is to give them a legitimate financial foothold in case things go tits up back home and the government, or rebels or whoever come knocking. It's insurance.
  • mcmonkeyplc 13 Sep 2013 12:10:23 38,928 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Or just to milk the club for money.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• Jacksie66 13 Sep 2013 12:13:24 572 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @joelstinton All -Ireland hurling final was on here last weekend. €80 for a ticket. And Croke Park holds 82,000 people.
  • RedSparrows 13 Sep 2013 12:13:33 20,765 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago

Ahhh, never gets old. Seemed relevant. Ish...
  • Page

of 4940 First / Last