The all-new Premier League thread Page 4090

• Page

of 5663 First / Last

• Trane 6 Sep 2013 13:12:27 4,059 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I actually liked Gray as a commentator, didn't have much time for him as a pundit. My dislike for Keys was wholesale.
  • Mr_Sleep 6 Sep 2013 13:14:24 17,383 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    @vijay_UK

Or he likes playing for Everton.
    Hah, I was thinking of posting just that earlier. It's not impossible it is the case. He might like where he lives too. He seems to be getting more call ups to England too so that isn't a problem.

You are a factory of sadness.

• vijay_UK 6 Sep 2013 13:36:41 2,374 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    @vijay_UK

Or he likes playing for Everton.
    Maybe.
  • Punctum 6 Sep 2013 15:30:03 1,045 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    That Interview with Ibrahimovic doing the rounds today makes him sound like an even bigger wanker than he already is.
    Link?
  • RedSparrows 6 Sep 2013 16:26:31 24,248 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mcmonkeyplc wrote:
    @RedSparrows off topic, but what team do you support? Just curious.
    Torquay. Well, I say 'support'.

Edited by RedSparrows at 16:26:38 06-09-2013
  • Tom_Servo 6 Sep 2013 17:10:47 18,082 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I heard Keys and Gray on TalkSport for the first time recently, and it was pretty depressing. Had quite a Partridge vibe to it.
  • nickthegun 6 Sep 2013 17:15:14 61,324 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Keyes was 100% Partridge and Gray wasnt really natural enough for the radio unless he was talking about the old times with someone he used to play with. They were pretty shit *but* they still had pull and got some great guests on.

They have been replaced, for better or worse, by Colin Murray and a rotating line up of guest hosts.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• thedaveeyres 6 Sep 2013 17:21:01 11,595 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    At least Colin Murray isn't a cunt. An arsehole maybe, but not a cunt.

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• nickthegun 6 Sep 2013 17:29:48 61,324 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, hes not bad on this. Its kind of refreshing to have a presenter present rather than an ex-pro or an ex-hack.

sadly, both of those regularly crop up as his guest co-hosts.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• FWB 6 Sep 2013 17:53:49 45,613 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Baines shows lack of ambition for not forcing move to United.

So yeah, you literally cannot win. What a ridiculous article.
    His stance has been more about hoping Everton accepting a fee from Man Utd and then moving to OT, and also negotiating the remaining part of his Everton contract at the same time looking good in front of Everton so he seems loyal to them.

Everton wanted Man Utd to offer enough, and if not, hoped Baines would hand in a transfer request so they don't have to pay him off and also forcing Man Utd's hand in offering a higher fee.

Neither really happened, so he stays. It's risky for players; if he had opened his mouth and the transfer never happens, he's stuck at Everton and getting heckled each game.
    I'm not sure where you've got that from - reads like the Daily Mail articles every day through the summer.

Decent sources on Everton forums have been saying for months that Baines had no interest in leaving and would only have done if the club received an offer it couldn't refuse. Even his mum said so (allegedly).
    Everything I've read suggests he wanted to stay. There is occasionally some loyalty in football.
  • mcmonkeyplc 6 Sep 2013 18:00:13 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't need him anyway.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• mcmonkeyplc 7 Sep 2013 08:26:55 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Welshit....really Fuck you cunts!

• Syrette 7 Sep 2013 08:31:22 44,229 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Really?

I mean... Moldova.

• mcmonkeyplc 7 Sep 2013 08:37:35 39,569 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yes really, they're as good as Newcastle

• Trowel 7 Sep 2013 08:50:11 18,064 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
  • Dougs 7 Sep 2013 15:29:15 69,523 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Bad new for anyone who has signed up to the AJS Streaming as it seems to already have started attracting the attention of the EPL:

A further foreign invasion of the Premier League has seen Al Jazeera’s live coverage of games intended for the Middle East being fed into numerous UK pubs and clubs this season.

The rogue broadcasts, put down to lax encryption processes used by the Arab network, are especially galling for the Premier League’s major UK rights holders Sky, who paid £2.28billion for their current three-year packages.
    Al Jazeera’s English-language games are presented by Richard Keys and Andy Gray, the partnership that established and maintained Sky football’s pre-eminence before their acrimonious departure in 2011 following sexist comments about assistant referee Sian Massey.
    Sky would not comment about the rival PL offering involving, of all people, Keys and Gray, who have moved to Doha to make the most of their TV comeback. The Premier League say the unofficial Al Jazeera feed is a serious issue and will have urgent talks to ensure their screenings are available only in designated territories.
    I'm beta-testing Netprotect, the VPN from Unblock US. You can access AJS through Morocco and purchase a season pass for $120. Very tempted....
  • TheSaint 7 Sep 2013 16:38:29 14,831 posts
    Seen 49 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've signed up for a month just to test it and it seems good so far. Do Unblock US charge extra for that as it is actually possible to access AJS sports using a free Chrome plugin call Hola Unblocker?
  • Dougs 7 Sep 2013 17:01:46 69,523 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seen some suggest that your account will be banned using Hulu Unblocker.

I imagine it will be an additional paid-for service. Very easy to set up though, you just add a particular website/profile (either already set up or the community will do it for you if you don't know how) and choose which country to route it through. Same process as Unblock US, just change the DNS settings. Overplay offer a similar service called SmartDNS.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 8 Sep 2013 11:41:04 10,071 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Disgraceful.

http://footballbeyondborders.blogspot.nl/2013/07/whose-tottenham.html?m=1
  • FWB 8 Sep 2013 11:44:10 45,613 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You think Levy will use their money when he can squeeze someone else? Pretty much every team would do this if they could.
  • Orange 8 Sep 2013 12:06:17 4,896 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah we already saw it even more so with Arsenal, ironically. In fairness to any football club funding a new stadium when they operate in a fiercely competitive industry means they would be crazy not to try and get every penny of outside money they can. However there should be a middle ground of incentive to stay and reinvestment into the community.
  • El_MUERkO 8 Sep 2013 12:59:49 17,149 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pretty nasty, they elite have obviously looked to Paris as an example of how to do things, push the poor out to the edges and forget about them. Spurs and the council in cahoots to speed that up in their borough.
  • Bremenacht 8 Sep 2013 13:03:38 19,663 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If they're so keen on shitting over Tottenham residents or moving to East London, maybe they should call themselves HP FC or Barclays FC or NiceNewStadium FC or whatever matters most to them.
  • Dougs 8 Sep 2013 13:13:33 69,523 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arsenal didn't receive any public funds for the stadium build, and built loads of community stuff like schools, doctors surgeries, new waste plant, housing etc in return for planning permission. That's not to say they wouldn't have if the opportunity had been there, but the 2 projects aren't really comparable. Other than the obvious.

Edited by Dougs at 13:17:21 08-09-2013
  • FWB 8 Sep 2013 13:14:42 45,613 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I like the housing at Highbury. Pretty cool. Is any of it social?
  • Dougs 8 Sep 2013 13:16:40 69,523 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Don't think there are any in the Highbury flats themselves, but I think we built something like 500 surrounding the new ground.
  • Deleted user 8 September 2013 13:34:15
    To put some balance into this, Spurs have put more money and community support into Tottenham than Harringey have for several decades now. Harringey leave Tottenham to rot, and despite the tone of this blog, it's Harringey that are supposedly going to get rid of these council houses, not Spurs.

Ok, Spurs have made moves to get some money from the council for the stadium, and so they should. It's the closest thing Tottenham have to a rejuvenation project and it will ultimately bring loads of new and better housing to the area. It's unfortunate that in the short term there'll be a reduction but that's not on Spurs. Again, it's Harringey that are as ever neglecting the area. Without Spurs it would be even worse.
  • Orange 8 Sep 2013 13:37:10 4,896 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Arsenal were granted a huge number of compulsory purchase orders, even though the independent planning inspector opposed it. Were also allowed to roll back on a lot of their commitments: http://www.theguardian.com/football/2006/may/03/sport.comment1

So although they did not get direct money, they got a very significant amount of indirect aid, which is a lot more valuable to such a development scheme. So let's leave the myopic tribalism to one side, there is no better club behaviour here.
  • Blotto 8 Sep 2013 14:54:39 2,777 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Orange wrote:
    In fairness to any football club funding a new stadium when they operate in a fiercely competitive industry means they would be crazy not to try and get every penny of outside money they can. However there should be a middle ground of incentive to stay and reinvestment into the community.
    Pretty much this.

We can't demand huge transfers, cheaper tickets and for the club to fund the area. Not that it's right that fans prioritise transfers and tickets but that's the reality.
  • Page

of 5663 First / Last