• fletch7100 28 Aug 2013 18:39:56 7,320 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Looks like Lamela is done deal at 25mil
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Aug 2013 18:43:12 17,076 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    Twitter saying eriksen almost done as well for spurs. Dubious but crazy exciting. And that piers morgan is having a meltdown. Heh.
    I think that makes it all worth it.

You are a factory of sadness.

• OmniaVincitAmor 28 Aug 2013 18:46:28 1,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    With arsenal I just believe they did not have a plan b. When suarez went tits up they had no idea what to do next. They were banking on getting him and now they don't know what to do. Especially a club that hates spending money.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• kalel 28 Aug 2013 18:48:31 87,713 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think it's just about Wenger, that's all. He has a lot of belief in the players he does have, and needs an incredible amount of convincing about the players he doesn't have.
  • Mr_Sleep 28 Aug 2013 18:55:04 17,076 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apparently Villa and Everton are in for Ince, 8-10 million, not a bad number considering the hype.

You are a factory of sadness.

• OmniaVincitAmor 28 Aug 2013 18:56:19 1,521 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I think it's just about Wenger, that's all. He has a lot of belief in the players he does have, and needs an incredible amount of convincing about the players he doesn't have.
    Yup and he thought suarez was the last piece of the puzzle for him. But know he doesn't know whether to gamble on someone or hope the team performs. Couple of injuries and they are fucked. Oh well, lol.

Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

• LeD 28 Aug 2013 18:58:04 6,298 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Ok but in terms of sheer numbers, we haven't got a squad big enough to go through the season! Surely he has to see that?
  • oceanmotion 28 Aug 2013 19:00:41 15,952 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    Is it possible something's afoot at The Emirates? All these players being offloaded, wage bill clearing up... Isn't that the process you go through when you're about to sell your business?

Perhaps I'm trying to rationalise too much, but I just really plainly don't understand what's going on this summer.
    Too much faith in the young squad who are improving so I can understand his reluctance up to a point. He wants the young team to reach the top but I think a few key players would give them a chance of winning something.

I would say competition in the marketplace is fierce. There is so many rich teams out there now and the style of football being played means even less choice if you want the best players.

Man U haven't bought a good midfielder in god knows how long. The liability LB Evra doesn't get much competition for this place. Baines may snap that up finally.

Do they buy second rate, pay too much or just try again another time ?

Perhaps they are willing to pay the higher prices but just can't get the player to sign. I dunno, Chelsea do pay loads and Spurs have missed out from time to time over the years, this season seems good for them in the transfer market. Was it the right players, paying more than usual ?

Arsenal don't need another Arteta when push comes to shove but I think Wenger may just cave again.
  • thedaveeyres 28 Aug 2013 19:02:22 11,085 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Apparently Villa and Everton are in for Ince, 8-10 million, not a bad number considering the hype.
    That's a good price, especially considering Zaha had half as many assists and goals last year playing in a promotion chasing team as opposed to one at the wrong end of the table.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• THFourteen 28 Aug 2013 19:17:23 33,447 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Someone managed to convince him on park chamakh gervinho santos et al!

I wonder if this is his last season and hes leaving the cash for the new man.

We could still sign cabaye btw

Either way I'm calm whatever will be will be et al.
  • Feanor 28 Aug 2013 19:20:06 14,166 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Don't forget Arshavin.
  • robc84 28 Aug 2013 19:22:28 5,638 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    OmniaVincitAmor wrote:
    With arsenal I just believe they did not have a plan b. When suarez went tits up they had no idea what to do next. They were banking on getting him and now they don't know what to do. Especially a club that hates spending money.
    I guess this is where the director of football comes in. Makes a clear recruitment strategy and has a plan b when things go wrong.

We certainly seem to have benefited from having baldini this year.
  • vijay_UK 28 Aug 2013 19:23:08 2,162 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    That's a good price, especially considering Zaha had half as many assists and goals last year playing in a promotion chasing team as opposed to one at the wrong end of the table.
    And Liverpool inserted a 35% sell on clause when selling to Blackpool, which is probably why Ince still hasn't been sold yet.
  • Dougs 28 Aug 2013 19:23:42 67,762 posts
    Seen 13 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Sounds about right to me. I'm pretty relaxed, if we don't sign anyone, he'll be judged on results. And if they're not good enough, then his job will be at risk. Que sera and all that.
  • thedaveeyres 28 Aug 2013 19:25:22 11,085 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:

And Liverpool inserted a 35% sell on clause when selling to Blackpool, which is probably why Ince still hasn't been sold yet.
    Bet you our chairman finds a way not to pay it. The guy is king of the loopholes.

D****** ******r

• mikew1985 28 Aug 2013 19:25:29 12,754 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If Spurs sign Eriksen and it's anything less than 20 million; I'll be pretty pissed off unless we end up buying a totally proven attacking midfielder.
  • LionheartDJH 28 Aug 2013 19:29:46 19,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:

Bet you our chairman finds a way not to pay it. The guy is king of the loopholes.
    I bet he couldn't find a loophole big enough to fit Charlie Adam through :p

She dives for cheese pasties

• thedaveeyres 28 Aug 2013 19:32:28 11,085 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:

I bet he couldn't find a loophole big enough to fit Charlie Adam through :p
    HERESY! :)

D****** ******r

• vijay_UK 28 Aug 2013 19:43:35 2,162 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    Is it possible something's afoot at The Emirates? All these players being offloaded, wage bill clearing up... Isn't that the process you go through when you're about to sell your business?

Perhaps I'm trying to rationalise too much, but I just really plainly don't understand what's going on this summer.
    I would say that Arsenal needed to go toe-to-toe with Spurs in the transfer market, to help wrestle some competitive/economic power away from the Manchester clubs to a certain extent (north-south divide).

Chelsea by default have the economic power, and now the competitive power with Jose. Tottenham are doing all they can to get into the top four by using the transfer market, and Arsenal look like they will have sacrificed their traditional placing in the top 4 by being stagnant.

Therefore I don't see Arsenal selling their business anytime soon, doesn't make sense to me.
  • FWB 28 Aug 2013 19:45:20 44,585 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wouldn't it be funny if Bale injured himself eating a banana and was out for two years?
  • fletch7100 28 Aug 2013 19:47:32 7,320 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Ref the Spurs/Erikson deal Spurs have permission to talk to the player now its just whether the player wants to move/terms and medical to sort out

But Ajax have confirmed that they have given Tottenham permission to talk to the highly-rated international.
    Ajax boss Frank de Boer told BBC Sport: "There is a snowball effect happening with the Gareth Bale transfer.
    "For us, Christian is a key player, so if he leaves before 2 September it is a big setback for the team.
    "But there is not a lot we can do. We cannot stop him leaving. He knows how we think about it, he has only one year of his contract left so he has to leave now or sign for another year more with us.
    "It is his choice. When the clubs have agreed the transfer it is for himself whether he is going to do it or not."

Edited by fletch7100 at 19:48:32 28-08-2013
  • Syrette 28 Aug 2013 19:52:05 43,521 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Can Bale just fuck off already so Spurs can wrap up their business and we can talk about something else?

hello kalel

• LeD 28 Aug 2013 19:52:44 6,298 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Sounds about right to me. I'm pretty relaxed, if we don't sign anyone, he'll be judged on results. And if they're not good enough, then his job will be at risk. Que sera and all that.
    Then again you're always relaxed, I want some of what you're smoking! :)

I'd be ok too if we had bought some cover, 1 or 2, but we're talking about NO signing against 26 departures - Sanogo doesn't count.
  • cheeky_prawnking 28 Aug 2013 19:59:51 4,584 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Syrette like who Newcastle haven't signed?
  • President_Weasel 28 Aug 2013 20:01:07 9,337 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    LeD wrote:

Too much faith in the young squad who are improving so I can understand his reluctance up to a point. He wants the young team to reach the top but I think a few key players would give them a chance of winning something.

I would say competition in the marketplace is fierce. There is so many rich teams out there now and the style of football being played means even less choice if you want the best players.

Man U haven't bought a good midfielder in god knows how long. The liability LB Evra doesn't get much competition for this place. Baines may snap that up finally.

Do they buy second rate, pay too much or just try again another time ?

Perhaps they are willing to pay the higher prices but just can't get the player to sign. I dunno, Chelsea do pay loads and Spurs have missed out from time to time over the years, this season seems good for them in the transfer market. Was it the right players, paying more than usual ?

Arsenal don't need another Arteta when push comes to shove but I think Wenger may just cave again.
    I'm pretty sure that's the problem - he's assigned every player a notional "real value" and is refusing to pay "too much", but that's myopic bullshit. The premiership is awash with money from the ridiculous telly deal and there are a whole bunch of clubs with more oil(or oligarch) money than sense. There's no such thing as a "true value" for a player - all there is is how much money you need to pay in order to get him. If you have the money, spend it.
    Now if it's a wage structure thing I can maybe see it - breaking the existing wage structure causes dressing room problems, and committing to years of high wages for just-possibly-flops can cause financial trouble down the line. However I'm pretty sure it's irritating Wenger-knows-best bullshit.

Is anyone going to tell me, right now, that Arsenal are a better team without Higuain than with him?
  • LeD 28 Aug 2013 20:09:23 6,298 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No! :(
  • President_Weasel 28 Aug 2013 20:12:56 9,337 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And are they a better team with, let's go high for the sake of argument, 35m sitting in the bank earning interest? Let's say that manages to earn them 3m over the course of the year - I'm saying Higuain gets them more than that in place money and Champs League cash.
  • mikew1985 28 Aug 2013 20:13:23 12,754 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Nothing else to talk about.
  • LeD 28 Aug 2013 20:18:30 6,298 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    And are they a better team with, let's go high for the sake of argument, 35m sitting in the bank earning interest? Let's say that manages to earn them 3m over the course of the year - I'm saying Higuain gets them more than that in place money and Champs League cash.
    :cry:
  • IMO 28 Aug 2013 20:27:28 5,673 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't think its as simple as that though. Although I do think Wenger was stupid to let Higuain slip through his fingers.
  • Page

of 5486 First / Last