The all-new Premier League thread Page 5

• Page

of 5467 First / Last

• Dougs 26 Nov 2010 10:50:39 67,622 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    "Better than Bale?" has become my new favourite catchphrase. Well done Richard Keys imo
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2010 11:59:02 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    Yeah he would fit Arsenal quite well...though they don't usually play wingers so he may have to go more central there.

He seems to like playing "in the hole" at the moment so I'm sure he'd so well doing something like that at le arse.

Can imagine, it must be pretty frustrating knocking on the door of the CL spots, but then seeing players like Barry and Milner leave to join similar level clubs (well, with heavy amounts of oil money thrown in aswell) preventing you from just getting that step further.

Barry I didn't mind so much but the Milner one stung a bit, it was all quite mercenary of him but I can still kind of understand it and it wasn't like we didn't get decent money. That's what's annoying about Young as we'll have to sell him at a knock down rate and it's pretty fucking rude of a player who we have developed into an international level winger deciding that he wants to run out his contract to go somewhere on the cheap.

Although who knows, City may offer you another mad deal like they did with Milner, 20m + SWP? I don't think we'd have the cash to buy him, although Henry's supposed transfer policy would accommodate him. I'd like to see us get him, or Adam Johnson, but obviously don't want him leaving you for peanuts if he does go, you deserve to get a fair price for him.

SWP? Oh god, I hope not! I can't see why he'd go to Liverpool, no offence but you're not exactly in any different position to us at the moment, arguably we have a better side in many departments but you have Torres and your transition is almost as painful as ours, I just can't see it. Like I say, Arsenal or abroad.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Widge Moderator 26 Nov 2010 12:03:36 13,530 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Arsenal are laden with loads of midfielders, he might go to Liverpool, assuming he would just immediately replace Maxi on the left.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• kalel 26 Nov 2010 12:05:21 87,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Villa are hardly knocking on the door of the CL spots frankly (no offence Sleep). They had their best chance a few seasons back and seem to just be getting further and futher away now. They're already nearly ten points off the top four this season.
  • kalel 26 Nov 2010 12:07:14 87,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also, again, Young is avialable on a free at the end of the season I believe, and I'd be very suprised if he didn't wait for that now. He's certainly not going anywhere for an enourmous amount of money. Arsenal for one have a policy of not paying high amounts for players near the end of their contracts.
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2010 12:12:37 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I agree we're not anywhere near the CL, we've got a chance in the cups but that's about it for success this year. In fact I'd be chuffed with a cup but I'm not sure that is even going to happen with a derby for a knock out game.

It's just not going to go our way this season, it started badly enough and now we have so many injuries and I know this sounds weird but the run of the ball is absolutely against us. I swear, in so many matches the ricochets and the bounce has just gone against us.

I'm sure Young is waiting to see what happens, from his POV it makes sense, just a bit of a shame it'll end the way it did with Barry or him just going on a free.

• Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2010 12:16:37 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    Arsenal are laden with loads of midfielders, he might go to Liverpool, assuming he would just immediately replace Maxi on the left.

Why Liverpool? I just don't get this idea that they are still some powerhouse that everyone wants to play at. I also still don't understand why they get so much press. Their team is pretty average apart from Torres and Mireles but it's just assumed that every player wants to play there. It bugs me that their finish last season was no better than Villa's and they're not anywhere much better this season but it still seems likely that Young would want to go there.

• TVoJ 26 Nov 2010 12:28:33 1,885 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Don't be so daft MrSleep. We get alot of media attention beacause there are a lot of Liverpool fans in Britain. That and we're still the most decorated club in english football. So why wouldnt people want to play for us?

If players were only interested in where a club finished last season, then Juve would be fucked after that debacle a few years ago. Guess what, they're not, and players still want to play for them. Why? Because they're steeped in tradition and are one of the most successfull clubs around.
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2010 12:38:03 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    TVoJ wrote:
    Don't be so daft MrSleep. We get alot of media attention beacause there are a lot of Liverpool fans in Britain. That and we're still the most decorated club in english football. So why wouldnt people want to play for us?

I take your point about there being a lot of Liverpool fans in Britain, the media thing is just me being ground down by the bias of motd towards certain teams, that's all.

Because they're steeped in tradition and are one of the most successful clubs around.

So are Villa ;-) , there's no point in getting into a "my club is bigger than yours" argument. My point is an exaggeration perhaps but the players that leave are always talking about champions league and playing at the top clubs, which Liverpool currently aren't. If they said they wanted to play for a club with more supporters and a club that have won more in the past then I guess it'd be fair enough but talking about CL ambitions and going to Liverpool doesn't make much sense at this point in time.

• Deleted user 26 November 2010 12:38:09
    aren't liverpool 3 points off tottenham?
  • Deleted user 26 November 2010 12:40:28
    just checked if they win by 2 clear goals they'll jump them even, depending on results elsewhere
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2010 12:41:01 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cozeny wrote:
    aren't liverpool 3 points off tottenham?

So are Sunderland and Stoke. Bolton are fifth, your point?

• kalel 26 Nov 2010 12:46:15 87,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's all very close, but even if Liverpool win on Sunday, I don't really consider them the same force they were a couple of years ago.

Probably bias on my part but I think Spurs and Man City are more likely to make the top four than Liverpool this season, and I think they've got a few tough few years coming up where they will settle as a mid-table club.

That's unless some serious money appears from somewhere, which seems to be something that can always happen in football these days.
  • Deleted user 26 November 2010 12:52:44
    didn't really have one, sorry, was just fishing for info on while on the phone.

if there is a point tho is that it's all very early and the league is still quite compact and though liverpool have been pretty much abject they are still there or thereabouts. they had a dreadful start to last season iirc, and rallied somewhat (the damage was done/). how does this year's start compare with last statistically, liv fans?

don't dispute that spurs have a better squad than liv. arguably one of the the best three squads on paper in the league imho. I wouldn't say liv are average across the board tho
  • ecureuil 26 Nov 2010 13:36:45 76,795 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Dougs 26 Nov 2010 14:52:24 67,622 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    80m for Young. Heh
  • stephenb 26 Nov 2010 14:54:17 2,738 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Houllier still madder than a box of frogs I see.

PSN : v--WEDGE--v

• morriss 26 Nov 2010 14:56:44 70,975 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Got a nasty feeling about the Liverpool game on Sunday.
  • Dougs 26 Nov 2010 14:57:36 67,622 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You home or away?
  • Jono62 26 Nov 2010 15:59:52 14,117 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    When will it end?!
  • kalel 26 Nov 2010 16:01:09 87,564 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We're home this weekend.

Massive game really. Feels like a banana skin I agree, but hopefully we just play with confidence and do what we do best. I honestly think when we have that attitude, nobody can beat is at home.
  • Dougs 26 Nov 2010 16:01:38 67,622 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ach, you'll do 'em at home.
  • Mr_Sleep 26 Nov 2010 16:17:18 17,061 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    80m for Young is hilarious, I'm sure Houllier is having a bit of a laugh these days, there was that story a while back about signing Benzema and now this. Seems like he's taking the piss, or he's gone a bit mad.

Jono62 wrote:
    When will it end?!

Oh you're fucking shitting me :-/ This season has been a shocker. Hopefully we'll do an Everton and come good post Christmas.

• LionheartDJH 26 Nov 2010 17:16:20 19,447 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's all very close, but even if Liverpool win on Sunday, I don't really consider them the same force they were a couple of years ago.

Probably bias on my part but I think Spurs and Man City are more likely to make the top four than Liverpool this season, and I think they've got a few tough few years coming up where they will settle as a mid-table club.

That's unless some serious money appears from somewhere, which seems to be something that can always happen in football these days.

No I agree kalel, we really aren't. I don't think it's bias on your part, you and City both have better overall squads than we do. Okay we have Gerrard, Torres and Reina, but apart from that some of our squad players really aren't near the standard of some of yours and City's, and you have better strength in depth aswell. Take wingers just as an example, Bale and Lennon, and Silva and Milner easily beat our current combo of Maxi/Jovanovic and Kuyt. Apart from Torres we have little to offer up front, whereas you have two good reliable strikers and two good, but off the boil ones in Keane and Pavlyuchenko. City have one outstanding and two very good forwards, with another good one out on loan and a decent one knocking around in the reserves waiting for a move. A couple of seasons ago we had Alonso and Mascherano, now we have Raul Meireles and Poulsen, which I think is a decent indicator of the fact that we've stepped down a level. I think we'll put up a fight if we keep our current form up, but I don't see us finishing in that 4th spot with the squads as they currently are.

Henry has set out his desired transfer policy, and has said he won't be spending mega bucks, especially not in January. We could do with a couple of January signings to help bolster the squad, as we're seriously lacking quality in depth, but we won't be seeing any massive changes I don't think. Hopefully Comolli has picked out a few targets, and we can look at bringing one or two of them in, and offloading some of the less successful players (Babel especially) might be a decent idea. Guess we'll have to see what happens, and how we do up until January aswell, before making any proper judgements on how the rest of the season will pan out.

I think you'll probably win this weekend anyway, but only by a goal or two, I don't think we'll get hammered.

She dives for cheese pasties

• ecureuil 26 Nov 2010 18:17:54 76,795 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think you'll get hammered. Spurs will score at LEAST four imo.
  • ecureuil 26 Nov 2010 20:53:43 76,795 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good picture for this bloke to frame and put on his wall.
  • LionheartDJH 26 Nov 2010 20:55:56 19,447 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    He looks like he's about to snap Rooney's neck! And what is Hernandez doing trying to feel that other guy's nipple?

She dives for cheese pasties

• ecureuil 26 Nov 2010 20:57:08 76,795 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    "Wait a second.. who the fuck is that?"
  • Feanor 26 Nov 2010 20:59:06 14,166 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Is Van der Vaart playing?
  • Flightrisker 26 Nov 2010 22:38:31 18,138 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Feanor wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Is Van der Vaart playing?

He's 50/50.

Here's the rumoured starting XI for us tomorrow (stolen from SC Board)

-------------Gomes

Hutton Gallas Kaboul Ekotto

Lennon Palacios Modric Bale

----Defoe Carragher Crouch
  • Page

of 5467 First / Last