The all-new Premier League thread Page 3950

• Page

of 5373 First / Last

• robc84 21 Aug 2013 12:30:46 5,483 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    With all these signings AVB really can't afford anything less than 4th.
    Arguably a successful cup run might do it.

I think we need to remain realistic. I'd ecstatic if we finished in the top four, but there are a lot of very, very good teams out there and we'll be a work in progress given the amount of players we've brought in.

And if we "failed" (although who is setting the bar here? The fans? the media?) I wouldn't want to see AVB sacked as a matter of course. if he did a Harry and we bombed because of him, then yeah, of course. But we've been through enough coaches to know that sacking the coach isn't always some magic fix.
    I agree we need to be realistic. Talk of a title challenge is a year or two premature I think. As I said before, I think this is a big opportunity to finish top 3/4 and it will be disappointing if we don't.

I also think that barring some kind of disaster, we should stick with AVB. We really need some managerial stability.
  • graysonavich 21 Aug 2013 12:31:57 7,320 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Especially since after Arsenal fans took to their (own) streets and wrecked anything that looked or sounded a bit foreign
  • kalel 21 Aug 2013 12:34:31 86,955 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    Galatasaray
    Ah, ok. My mistake - really not fair to tar all Turkish teams with the same brush.
    To be fair the Fenebache fans are also mental and have had some extremely violent incidents. The Fene/Gala rivalry is arguably the most violent in the world.
  • Dougs 21 Aug 2013 12:42:03 67,169 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Arsenal had a now or never moment about 8 years ago, and they chose not to bother, so now we are declining every year.

Go for it spurs, nothing to lose.
    Hang on, how do you work that out? It's exactly why we moved. We could have sat pretty at Highbury, but now would be miles behind, so the choice was to move to ensure we could compete long term. That means for the next 50/60 years. That AW seems to be choosing not to invest now he can, doesn't change that.
    I'm talking about the years since then of selling our best players and choosing not to reinvest the money, or add to the transfer pot when we could have done.

£100m in the bank didnt just magic itself into our coffers this year.
    But that's a managerial and/or board decision. Doesn't change the fact that the stadium move has provided greater funds. And ad nick said, the oilys changed the goalposts slightly.
  • nickthegun 21 Aug 2013 12:43:19 59,429 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not a 'transfer pot' its a WAR CHEST

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kentmonkey 21 Aug 2013 12:48:16 20,579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    graysonavich wrote:
    Galatasaray
    Ah, ok. My mistake - really not fair to tar all Turkish teams with the same brush.
    There's not a brush big enough. They have some of the most hostile/violent football environments in the world. Turning up at a hotel and being disruptive is there equivalent of coming up and giving you a pinch on the cheek.
  • LeD 21 Aug 2013 12:49:14 6,232 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Are there any bets open on Arsenal not putting any money towards a transfer - as opposed to signing on a free/loan/etc. this summer? I'll put a tenner on that.
  • kalel 21 Aug 2013 12:50:03 86,955 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Although weirdly when we went to play Besiktas in the UEFA a few years back, we were all prepared for the worst, and they were incredible hosts, and gave our team a standing ovation once we tonked them.
  • vijay_UK 21 Aug 2013 12:54:15 2,104 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    Stay classy, Fernebahce supporters.
    This group of supporters went so far as to set up camp outside Arsenal's hotel, the Wyndham Hotel Kalamis, employing anti-social tactics throughout the night to keep them awake.

Flares, fireworks and bangers were the order of the night as the fans tried to interrupt Arsenal’s sleep.
    Not that much different to what the media have been doing, or that matter Arsenal's own fans. They've brought it on themselves, turning one home defeat into something far more. Fenerbahce smell blood and are going for it.
  • LeD 21 Aug 2013 12:55:23 6,232 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Willian to have a medical this afternoon according to SSN.
  • Dougs 21 Aug 2013 13:11:44 67,169 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its not a 'transfer pot' its a WAR CHEST
    Which will remain untouched as the transfer window SLAMS shut
  • THFourteen 21 Aug 2013 13:15:27 33,175 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Blotto wrote:
    Stay classy, Fernebahce supporters.
    This group of supporters went so far as to set up camp outside Arsenal's hotel, the Wyndham Hotel Kalamis, employing anti-social tactics throughout the night to keep them awake.

Flares, fireworks and bangers were the order of the night as the fans tried to interrupt Arsenalís sleep.
    Not that much different to what the media have been doing, or that matter Arsenal's own fans. They've brought it on themselves, turning one home defeat into something far more. Fenerbahce smell blood and are going for it.
    Tbh I like you as a poster, but this view is really uninformed. The home defeat against villa was the catalyst, but this has been brewing for quite a few years. The last two years have seen equal venom from our fans, but its just grown this year to a majority from a minority.

The club have been taking more and more of our money and just keeping it for themselves, for what purpose I don't know, but I more and more believe they will eventually take dividends.

Over £10,000 I've paid into my football club for the last 8 years, and that's not including beer, shirts, sky, ESPN, scarves, hats whatever.

Its turning into downright robbery tbh. Stealing from their fans because they know we can't just go and support another club.

Anyway, got any spare palace tickets I can nab :-)
  • vijay_UK 21 Aug 2013 13:26:07 2,104 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @THFourteen

I take your points, okay it's been a while that Arsenal are not quite where the fans want to be. But knowing that a potentially difficult CL qualifier was approaching - could have kept emotions a little under-wrap. Imagine going put of the CL because of all this early season pressure.

The players need the support, not being hounded for a mis-placed pass like Cazorla was on Saturday.
  • speedofthepuma 21 Aug 2013 13:28:38 13,283 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    There is rarely an unimportant game on the horizon to allow fans to vent frustration without handicapping their team, surely?

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• kalel 21 Aug 2013 13:31:26 86,955 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's a slightly odd attitude to feel that the money you spend on seeing your club is somehow an investment, rather than simply buying a product (game tickets, beer etc). Odd, and frankly flawed.

Do you feel Apple are stealing from you for keeping the profits they've made from you, and distributing it among shareholders and such?
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Aug 2013 13:36:19 39,438 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    It's a slightly odd attitude to feel that the money you spend on seeing your club is somehow an investment, rather than simply buying a product (game tickets, beer etc). Odd, and frankly flawed.

Do you feel Apple are stealing from you for keeping the profits they've made from you, and distributing it among shareholders and such?
    There is a counter argument but I can't be fucked.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• thedaveeyres 21 Aug 2013 13:37:55 10,875 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It would be more akin to someone price gouging a product with (for some fans) a non-elastic demand and then not investing any of it into R&D to actually improve the product.

The solution is that if you're being treated like a customer, start acting like a customer. If you want to be treated with a modicum of respect as a fan, try another sport. That's what I've learnt from supporting a professional football club. :)

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• Commander-Keen 21 Aug 2013 13:39:12 806 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Come on guys - lets not try and apply reason and logic to the emotional roller coaster that is being a football fan! :)

For a team that have consistently finished in CL places, and above their direct rivals, for the last squillion years, however, is it really such a case of doom and gloom? Arsenal fans do seem to lack a certain amount of perspective at the moment.

Frankly, the best thing for you lot would be a good old relegation dogfight. You would dream about finishing 3rd!
  • kentmonkey 21 Aug 2013 13:43:18 20,579 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Frankly, the best thing for you lot would be a good old relegation dogfight. You would dream about finishing 3rd!
    We already do that.
  • Commander-Keen 21 Aug 2013 13:45:51 806 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Arf!
  • Dougs 21 Aug 2013 13:52:14 67,169 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You mean the 3rd that we finished 2 seasons ago? :)

I don't take the same attitude as TH regarding costs. I pay up because I love football and I love my club.If I couldn't afford it,I wouldn't. We all have a choice. My biggest issue is that lots think that as we pay high prices, that means we should be more successful. It doesn't work like that sadly. I will take exception if they start taking dividends, but in the whole scheme of things, the revenue from match days is a diminishing proportion of overall revenues these days. It's no wonder we're the last people TV and the clubs think of when looking at fixtures.
  • vijay_UK 21 Aug 2013 13:53:05 2,104 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    There is rarely an unimportant game on the horizon to allow fans to vent frustration without handicapping their team, surely?
    Lose the opening EPL game, you have 37 left.

Lose the CL qualifier, and it's Thursday night footy with Spurs (not sure if this is right, or is it a complete kick out of Europe).
  • thedaveeyres 21 Aug 2013 13:55:25 10,875 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Let's be honest though, Arsenal aren't going to win the Champion's League and they aren't going to go skint if they miss out on a bit of revenue from it. It might be a disincentive to certain players signing, but this is Arsenal we're talking about so that barely applies either.

Hey, they might actually win the Europa Cup... it might be a blessing.

EDIT: No, hang on - it's straight out, isn't it? In that case, they might actually try and win a domestic cup (and actually win it this time) :)

Edited by thedaveeyres at 13:56:47 21-08-2013

D****** ******r

• Syrette 21 Aug 2013 13:56:15 43,293 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The All New North London Premier League Club Thread

;)

• thedaveeyres 21 Aug 2013 13:57:24 10,875 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    How about those Scousers, eh?

D****** ******r

• Commander-Keen 21 Aug 2013 13:57:40 806 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Question for the Goons then, since you're all so pessimistic - would it be better to get knocked out of CL NOW and not waste your time with it, and instead drop into a cup which you have a better chance of winning?

Or is it about the prestige of CL? If it's the latter, then what's the difference between finishing 3rd / 4th so long as you qualify for CL? If it's the former, and the glory is more important, surely Europa is now, realistically, more your speed?
  • kalel 21 Aug 2013 13:57:42 86,955 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Talk about whatever the fuck you want to talk about Syrette.

;)
  • Commander-Keen 21 Aug 2013 13:58:22 806 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @thedaveeyres Ahhh you may be right!
  • Feanor 21 Aug 2013 14:00:58 14,141 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:

Apple exists for the sole purpose of making profits. Maybe some football clubs are run that way, but in most cases the owners would be better off putting their money almost anywhere else.
  • kalel 21 Aug 2013 14:02:22 86,955 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Arsenal won't go skint if they miss out on the CL, but I'd imagine their wage situation might get a little awkward if they missed out regularly. Although I think their wage bill has been significantly reduced recently.
  • Page

of 5373 First / Last