The all-new Premier League thread Page 3949

• Page

of 5248 First / Last

• LeD 21 Aug 2013 11:55:12 6,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep Buying players is a solution, provided there is a real 'project'. We seem to be on the lookout for bargains, not in any meaningful way, instead of being in the market to improve or get cover for our glaring weaknesses.
  • Mr_Sleep 21 Aug 2013 11:57:41 16,839 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Also, as a Villa fan I'm finding all this a little bit offensive, we're not the club we were last December and we are not so easily brushed aside. If Arsenal had lost 3-1 to a team like Everton or Swansea would there have been the same reaction?

You are a factory of sadness.

• THFourteen 21 Aug 2013 11:58:45 32,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We will thrash fenerbache tonight and all will be fine

Tbh some people were just praying for us to lose vs villa so they could make some silly point.

The dude in front of me and accross has pre prepared a Wenger out sign ffs
  • faux_carnation 21 Aug 2013 12:02:21 9,040 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Also, as a Villa fan I'm finding all this a little bit offensive, we're not the club we were last December and we are not so easily brushed aside. If Arsenal had lost 3-1 to a team like Everton or Swansea would there have been the same reaction?
    Yeah there would be the same response I reckon -† it's all about where a result fits in an ongoing (premeditated) narrative, not really about the result itself. The press doesn't need an excuse to run "Arsenal in crisis" stories; it sells papers/generates clicks.
  • Kay 21 Aug 2013 12:02:28 17,760 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    We weren't actually bad in the game and were extremely unlucky with some decisions, but it's more the nature of the loss and the circumstances surrounding it - opening game, at home, and with injuries + suspensions to boot, added to the fact that the club aren't really seen to be trying to improve matters the way they should have done.
  • LeD 21 Aug 2013 12:03:07 6,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mate, it's not about losing to Aston Villa, it's about going into that game unprepared, letting a whole summer go past without getting anybody in. Aston Villa went into that game a stronger team than last season, and got rewarded by brushing Arsenal aside. We got into the game a weaker team than last season and got a spanking at home. I would feel the same about losing to Everton, Swansea, Chelsea or any other team.

Losing to a good team is acceptable when you've done your best, that clearly wasn't the case: same patterns of play, same weaknesses, same not-quite-good-enough players cluttering the pitch.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Aug 2013 12:03:17 9,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    "Guillem Balague has revealed how Arsenal missed out on signing Spain international David Villa for potentially as little as 2.3m euros. Balague told Revista that Arsenal tried to sign the striker in January but failed to follow up that interest when Barcelona were eager to offload him this summer."

:(
    That's bollocks. We enquired in January but Barcelona didn't want to sell. In the meantime his form has dropped and he barely kicked a ball for Barcelona last season.

The only reason Atletico got him so cheap is because as part of the deal, they gave Barcelona first option on Oliver Torres who you'll hear more about this season and is one of the best young players in Europe.
  • LeD 21 Aug 2013 12:06:05 6,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Well enough of Arsenal for today, I'm looking forward to seeing how the battle unfurls at the top, there are some exciting new players to watch! I think I'll be watching more of the other team matches this season.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 21 Aug 2013 12:08:59 9,706 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Enough of Arsenal today? We have a CL qualifier tonight!
  • Commander-Keen 21 Aug 2013 12:09:39 806 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    One thing to chuck into the debate about whether or not Spurs will need to sell Bale - we didn't spend the Modric money last season as RM asked to pay in instalments. I imagine that will be piling up nicely by now, but we'd have to assume that any deal for Bale would be the same - we're not going to get a nice suitcase with £100m to cover our costs up front.

That said, apparently the sales of Caulker, Parker, THudd, and Dempsey are clocking in somewhere around the £20m mark, so some of this activity is already washing its' own face...
  • kalel 21 Aug 2013 12:10:49 86,320 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Frankly a home loss for a top four side is a big deal, particularly if it's to a team outside the top four. You get to lose maybe one or two games like that a season, so to lose one on the first day is bad.
  • Dougs 21 Aug 2013 12:14:27 66,636 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    Arsenal had a now or never moment about 8 years ago, and they chose not to bother, so now we are declining every year.

Go for it spurs, nothing to lose.
    Hang on, how do you work that out? It's exactly why we moved. We could have sat pretty at Highbury, but now would be miles behind, so the choice was to move to ensure we could compete long term. That means for the next 50/60 years. That AW seems to be choosing not to invest now he can, doesn't change that.
  • Baihu1983 21 Aug 2013 12:15:05 3,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    With all these signings AVB really can't afford anything less than 4th.
  • LeD 21 Aug 2013 12:15:25 6,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    So what? It's a lose-lose situation.

If we get knocked out, we'll see more turmoil and unrest, and will find it even harder to attract new players.

If we go through, we'll be getting a lot of 'I told you so' and Wenger will claim the side is fine as it is.

Either way we're fucked.
  • Dougs 21 Aug 2013 12:16:04 66,636 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My heart bleeds
  • graysonavich 21 Aug 2013 12:16:43 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Secret option 3, lose and then go through regardless once Fenerbahce get thrown out
  • IMO 21 Aug 2013 12:18:11 5,578 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'll take the latter please.
  • Kay 21 Aug 2013 12:20:49 17,760 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If we lose it'll give us more excuse for not signing anyone decent (no CL football).
  • Commander-Keen 21 Aug 2013 12:21:40 806 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Arguably a successful cup run might do it.

I think we need to remain realistic. I'd ecstatic if we finished in the top four, but there are a lot of very, very good teams out there and we'll be a work in progress given the amount of players we've brought in.

And if we "failed" (although who is setting the bar here? The fans? the media?) I wouldn't want to see AVB sacked as a matter of course. if he did a Harry and we bombed because of him, then yeah, of course. But we've been through enough coaches to know that sacking the coach isn't always some magic fix.
  • Baihu1983 21 Aug 2013 12:21:53 3,278 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    LeD wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    So what? It's a lose-lose situation.

If we get knocked out, we'll see more turmoil and unrest, and will find it even harder to attract new players.

If we go through, we'll be getting a lot of 'I told you so' and Wenger will claim the side is fine as it is.

Either way we're fucked.
    Another 8-2 stuffing might wake him up?
  • Blotto 21 Aug 2013 12:22:24 2,708 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Stay classy, Fernebahce supporters.

This group of supporters went so far as to set up camp outside Arsenal's hotel, the Wyndham Hotel Kalamis, employing anti-social tactics throughout the night to keep them awake.

Flares, fireworks and bangers were the order of the night as the fans tried to interrupt Arsenalís sleep.
  • kalel 21 Aug 2013 12:23:36 86,320 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Arguably a successful cup run might do it.

I think we need to remain realistic. I'd ecstatic if we finished in the top four, but there are a lot of very, very good teams out there and we'll be a work in progress given the amount of players we've brought in.

And if we "failed" (although who is setting the bar here? The fans? the media?) I wouldn't want to see AVB sacked as a matter of course. if he did a Harry and we bombed because of him, then yeah, of course. But we've been through enough coaches to know that sacking the coach isn't always some magic fix.
    Again, anything less than 4th will be considered a failure yes, but I doubt that will actually mean anything more than a bit of disappointment and lolling from rivals and the media.

Everyone loves to put a "ALL OR NOTHING" narrative around these things, but it's really not the case I'm sure.
  • THFourteen 21 Aug 2013 12:24:17 32,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    Arsenal had a now or never moment about 8 years ago, and they chose not to bother, so now we are declining every year.

Go for it spurs, nothing to lose.
    Hang on, how do you work that out? It's exactly why we moved. We could have sat pretty at Highbury, but now would be miles behind, so the choice was to move to ensure we could compete long term. That means for the next 50/60 years. That AW seems to be choosing not to invest now he can, doesn't change that.
    I'm talking about the years since then of selling our best players and choosing not to reinvest the money, or add to the transfer pot when we could have done.

£100m in the bank didnt just magic itself into our coffers this year.
  • LeD 21 Aug 2013 12:24:17 6,209 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Apparently Wenger slept like a log though.

Edit: @Blotto

Edited by LeD at 12:24:42 21-08-2013
  • kalel 21 Aug 2013 12:24:47 86,320 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Blotto wrote:

This group of supporters went so far as to set up camp outside Arsenal's hotel, the Wyndham Hotel Kalamis, employing anti-social tactics throughout the night to keep them awake.

Flares, fireworks and bangers were the order of the night as the fans tried to interrupt Arsenalís sleep.
    I've heard some of their fans are even going to go the game to sing and cheer for 90 minutes.
  • imamazed 21 Aug 2013 12:25:30 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Blotto wrote:

Are fenerbache the ones what shanked one of our (LUFC) fans?
  • kentmonkey 21 Aug 2013 12:26:17 20,424 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    They've got to come back for the return leg yet. We'll cook 'em some lasagne.
  • graysonavich 21 Aug 2013 12:26:17 7,309 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Galatasaray
  • Kay 21 Aug 2013 12:27:18 17,760 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blotto wrote:

I like how Wilshere tweeted a picture of that with an enthusiastic "we had some visitors outside the hotel last night!"
  • imamazed 21 Aug 2013 12:29:49 5,520 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Galatasaray
    Ah, ok. My mistake - really not fair to tar all Turkish teams with the same brush.
  • Page

of 5248 First / Last