of 5476 First / Last

• Shikasama 19 Aug 2013 10:13:42 6,837 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sometimes it seems like Spurs have forgotten about Holtby
  • robc84 19 Aug 2013 10:14:32 5,624 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Lacking a bit of depth in some areas (full back, striker), but overall I'm pretty happy with the squad this year. Hope the new signings gel quickly and it could be a good year for us.
  • Dougs 19 Aug 2013 10:16:04 67,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:

I think finishing outside the top 4 is inevitable now anyway.
    Ach, we'll still be there or thereabouts. It's football, nothing is inevitable.
  • mcmonkeyplc 19 Aug 2013 10:16:25 39,457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Spurs could win the league if they keep Bale and grow some balls.

Come and get it cumslingers!

• robc84 19 Aug 2013 10:18:21 5,624 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I too would like to see Holtby get some more games this year. Hopefully with Bale gone(?) he will. Which is why I am a bit unsure about us signing Wilian. Is he an AM or a winger? If he is a winger I understand it a bit more as he can provide more competition for Chadli / Lennon. If he is an AM, something has to give with Siggs, Holtby, possibly Dembele all vying for that position.
  • roz123 19 Aug 2013 10:24:49 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought Walker was very good yesterday for Spurs and Jedinek for Palace. I only had half an eye on the game though
  • graysonavich 19 Aug 2013 10:30:30 7,353 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What Spurs really want is a replacement for Aaron "Win a corner" Lennon. I don't see the point of name of the month Willian.
  • Commander-Keen 19 Aug 2013 10:38:23 808 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    W00t W00t!

EG has been unblocked by the overzealous security people who had trouble differentiating a "gaming" website from a website with "games" on.

So what did I miss?
  • grey_matters 19 Aug 2013 10:40:05 3,756 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    What Spurs really want is a replacement for Aaron "Win a corner" Lennon. I don't see the point of name of the month Willian.
    Quite like Lennon, myself. He'll get a certain type of job done over a season. For me, if Soldado steps up, Spurs just need two top level full backs to be genuine challengers.
  • mikew1985 19 Aug 2013 10:42:25 12,742 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think Rose and Walker are both fine full backs tbh.
  • kalel 19 Aug 2013 10:42:41 87,689 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    What I like about Lennon is he knows his limitations and is realistic about them. So yes, he does more often than not get a corner, or float in a simple ball rather than being direct at goal or really whipping in something dangerous. But it also makes him far less wasteful than other similar players of a similar quality (Young, Johnson, even Walcott sometimes).

Think we probably need another option though on the right at least, especially if we really are trying to get to that next level. I guess that's kind of why we're looking at players like Willian and Lamela.
  • kalel 19 Aug 2013 10:44:36 87,689 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    They're ok, but nothing more.

It's a problem role for more teams to be honest. There's a massive expectation on FBs these days. They basically have to be as good as most wingers going forwards, and as good as most CBs at the back. It's crazy really.
  • grey_matters 19 Aug 2013 10:48:53 3,756 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    They could develop into top class full backs but there were a lot of goals shipped (and even more chances conceded),by Spurs last year directly from the fullback being out of position. Benny was probably guilty more than most in fairness.
  • kalel 19 Aug 2013 10:50:50 87,689 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Benny hardly played last season. We had Verts and Naughton at FB most games.

I kind of wish we'd give Naughton a proper go at RB. I think he's potentially better than Walker.
  • grey_matters 19 Aug 2013 10:52:32 3,756 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    mikew1985 wrote:
    They're ok, but nothing more.

It's a problem role for more teams to be honest. There's a massive expectation on FBs these days. They basically have to be as good as most wingers going forwards, and as good as most CBs at the back. It's crazy really.
    Agreed. There is still a place in the game for the Denis Irwin type of full back. Keep things simple. Rarely be out of position. Find a man with ball to feet. Easier said than done but a lot of it is coaching and attitude.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Aug 2013 11:25:25 17,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    W00t W00t!

EG has been unblocked by the overzealous security people who had trouble differentiating a "gaming" website from a website with "games" on.

So what did I miss?
    Apparently Arsenal are basically relegated and Spurs are going to win the cup of awesome.

You are a factory of sadness.

• mcmonkeyplc 19 Aug 2013 11:27:39 39,457 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mind the gap?

Come and get it cumslingers!

• nickthegun 19 Aug 2013 11:30:36 59,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Arsenal are clearly missing a gervinho type player in the middle.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Mr_Sleep 19 Aug 2013 11:32:24 17,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The first goal we conceded against Arsenal had Lowton in the right winger position hassling for the ball. Two passes and there was no one covering the RB position.

I think the problem is that the midfield is so congested and narrow that the full backs are pretty much the main provider of width. I read a lot of complaints about Luna's play against Walcott and how he was constantly out of position, Walcott is very pacey and how a player is supposed to cope with providing width to the attack, being available for passing in the build up and avoiding balls over the top for Walcott to run on to is beyond me. We will be caught out a lot from the left and right this season.

• robc84 19 Aug 2013 11:42:36 5,624 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    With my limited tactical knowledge, I believe a lot of teams (ourselves included), are set up with 2 DMs who are supposed to drop in when the full back bombs on. That way the full back is covered and there is still one DM in position. Obviously doesn't always work out that way.

People assume that when a team is set up with 2 DM it is a defensive set up. But it actually leaves 3 AM and gives the full backs licence to bomb on.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Aug 2013 11:47:29 17,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, that is pretty much how it is supposed to work, from what I understand. The problem comes when you need those players to be involved in the attack too, also, not every team is quite disciplined enough to always cover the space that has been vacated.

• Dougs 19 Aug 2013 11:59:57 67,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    That was actually our problem with both bursts by Agbonlahor that won the pens. One of our pivots (Wilshere I think) was played slightly further forward than last season and was caught out of position.
  • nickthegun 19 Aug 2013 12:03:49 59,937 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And the fact that your squad is so thin you had to play Cazorla who looked jet lagged when he had his pants taken down in the second half.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Dougs 19 Aug 2013 12:08:17 67,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, he could have put a fully fit Podolski on instead, but chose Santi, which was odd, granted.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Aug 2013 12:11:20 17,074 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I do wonder what Wenger has against Podolski, he looks like a quality player to me.

• Dougs 19 Aug 2013 12:14:37 67,739 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Big fan myself. He played plenty last season though, just doesn't seem to always fit. He's not a player to have up front on his own, and is best dropping into space. Fucked if I know why he didn't come on for Chamberlain, guess AW thought we needed to up the tempo a bit.
  • vijay_UK 19 Aug 2013 12:28:14 2,150 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    That was actually our problem with both bursts by Agbonlahor that won the pens. One of our pivots (Wilshere I think) was played slightly further forward than last season and was caught out of position.
    This is because he played further forward in the Eng v Scot match, sometimes players struggle to re- adapt when playing for country. Making players play out of position can mess them up, people say that they should be able to adapt. But you have to accept that our footballers are generally thick.
  • Widge Moderator 19 Aug 2013 12:37:42 13,593 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    This is because he played further forward in the Eng v Scot match, sometimes players struggle to re- adapt when playing for country. Making players play out of position can mess them up, people say that they should be able to adapt. But you have to accept that our footballers are generally thick.
    I'm not sure if it is thickness, more about being attuned to a role on the pitch. Swapping from left to right central defence can be enough to throw a defender off if it isn't their natural side.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• El_MUERkO 19 Aug 2013 12:41:40 17,033 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    28 million, maybe throw in rooney
  • vijay_UK 19 Aug 2013 12:44:11 2,150 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Widge wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    I'm not sure if it is thickness, more about being attuned to a role on the pitch. Swapping from left to right central defence can be enough to throw a defender off if it isn't their natural side.
    Fair point, but I don't think it is too much to ask Wilshire, who played a little advanced vs. Scotland in midfield,  to revert back competently to his natural position (a few meters back). He's supposed to be one of England's better players.
  • Page

of 5476 First / Last