The all-new Premier League thread Page 3931

• Page

of 5324 First / Last

• THFourteen 18 Aug 2013 22:17:52 33,082 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Arsenal need to be really careful here.

It doesn't take much for one team to suddenly seem more appealing than another.
  • thedaveeyres 18 Aug 2013 22:19:07 10,806 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Pjanic to Spurs?

Surely someone has already quipped 'Pjanic on the streets of London' then. If not, it's mine. I claim the glory.

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• faux_carnation 18 Aug 2013 22:35:36 9,164 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Ox out for the season?
  • IMO 18 Aug 2013 22:37:30 5,624 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    Pjanic to Spurs?

Surely someone has already quipped 'Pjanic on the streets of London' then. If not, it's mine. I claim the glory.
    I was just waiting for him to go out clubbing with his new teammates.
  • Humperfunk 18 Aug 2013 22:40:48 2,050 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Here is a question: how the fuck did Chelsea manage to get two players into the Hull wall? I mean seriously surely Hull didn't exactly prepare for this game by allowing "opponents" into their wall!

Fucking shocking display.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Blotto 18 Aug 2013 22:42:42 2,772 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Urgh.

If true, that leaves us with Cazorla, Podolski and Walcott to fill those two wing positions.

You could argue that none of them are naturals in that position either.
  • Deleted user 18 August 2013 22:51:01
    oceanmotion wrote:
    Fabregas with 4 assists.

Does anyone think Man U might not have any money to spend ?

I know they bid for Fabregas but feels like one of those never going to happen, look like we are trying for the fans. Midfield has been a glaring problem for years and they've still not solved it.

Sounds bonkers but can they even service their debt or is it still just interest payments, buy players and still show a profit while the Glazers fleece them ?

Just seems a little odd. Suppose Moyes could be assessing the players himself before buying but Fergie must have some future lined out, including dead wood. Moyes seemed to allude to such things.

After watching the Chelsea midfield, you think how come Man U haven't even one like that over recent years.
    There finances are in a better state than they have been for the last few years, they also just tried to buy a player for a club record fee. For all Chelsea's spending it hasn't won them any more than Utd so they obviously didn't need to.

Ignoring that they spent about £60m last summer too.
  • Dougs 18 Aug 2013 22:59:45 67,015 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Or till Feb according to the Mirror. Either way, sounds serious. Pretty typical. Never rains but it pours.
  • Tom_Servo 18 Aug 2013 23:49:56 17,390 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Thought the only new Spurs player who was at all disappointing was Chadli. Not really at it.

The clear standout was Capoue when he came on, but Paulinho looked good as well and Soldado showed enough to suggest he'll be ace once he settles in.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 00:21:50 14,109 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Thought the only new Spurs player who was at all disappointing was Chadli. Not really at it.

The clear standout was Capoue when he came on, but Paulinho looked good as well and Soldado showed enough to suggest he'll be ace once he settles in.
    Ah yes, Capoue, a player I really wanted and we initially tried to get in January. Now looks Good for our rivals, whilst we didn't go in for him because we had better targets lined up...which haven't been signed.

I'm sure if either spurs or Liverpool get Willian, ill be told by arsenal fans that he's shit and there's no need for him.

Good to see Spurs lack of CL preventing them for going after top quality players too.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 00:22:55 19-08-2013
  • FWB 19 Aug 2013 00:44:41 44,065 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I reckon Wenger can't bear to see someone else manage Arsenal and yet he wants to retire. So what does he do? Run it down.
  • roz123 19 Aug 2013 00:56:38 7,112 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Has the video of the ranting Arsenal fan been posted yet?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gSFEaI4HdA
    Or the Arsenal supporters trusts recent statement?
    http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/23750387

Funny stuff. It's a shame about Ox though.
  • FWB 19 Aug 2013 01:06:58 44,065 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nobody wants to go there now. Spurs aren't even in the CL nor have a fancy stadium and they can attract players.
  • Futaba 19 Aug 2013 01:19:02 3,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Who do the Arsenal fans that want Wenger out want in to replace him? Apart from Hiddink I can't think of any other managers that would be anything close to good enough (Jupp Heynckes is taking a year off from football).

Edited by Futaba at 01:19:36 19-08-2013

Edited by Futaba at 01:25:52 19-08-2013

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• overcorpse 19 Aug 2013 02:03:25 267 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Futaba wrote:
    Who do the Arsenal fans that want Wenger out want in to replace him? Apart from Hiddink I can't think of any other managers that would be anything close to good enough (Jupp Heynckes is taking a year off from football).

Jürgen Klopp.

Nerf paper,scissors are fine as they are. - Rock.

• Futaba 19 Aug 2013 03:10:49 3,490 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And who if you can't get him?

As far back as I can remember I always wanted to be a ninja.

• THFourteen 19 Aug 2013 06:44:08 33,082 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not that fussed really. I know we've done this to death, and most fans will say we are mad for wanting a stable manager out, but I'm ready to see our team play a bit differently, and some new ideas, and spend some money.
  • Trowel 19 Aug 2013 08:08:05 17,521 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Everton have rejected a joint bid of £28m for Baines and Fellaini from United. That's £12m for Baines - about half what he's worth to us - and £16m for Fellaini, which is less than we paid for him originally after add-ons.
  • THFourteen 19 Aug 2013 08:11:09 33,082 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    /insert non-pc comment about Moyes being scottish
  • mikew1985 19 Aug 2013 08:13:33 12,645 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That is a ridiculously low ball bid for both players.

Madness.

Edited by mikew1985 at 08:13:48 19-08-2013
  • FWB 19 Aug 2013 08:19:52 44,065 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    They can fuck right off with that. Pretty insulting.
  • mikew1985 19 Aug 2013 08:21:32 12,645 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bidding less than you ultimately paid for Fellaini is just plain ill advised.

The only logical conclusion is that we're being utter fuckers and trying to unsettle both players to get them for a few million less.
  • kalel 19 Aug 2013 08:24:10 86,743 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Supposedly Willian to Liverpool was nearly sorted but now Spurs are trying to hijack it. What a surprise.
    Dude, you have to stop with this. Yet again these players are not secrets, and just because you want to buy them doesn't mean everyone else has to respectfully let you.

For years and years I had to watch Spurs targets choose Liverpool over us. In recent years the likes of Torres, Joe Cole, Suarez, Downing, Carroll were all targets of ours that chose you instead, and it goes back decades. Not to mention Robbie Keane dumping us in a heartbeat to go to you guys despite the faith we'd put in him year after year.

Now the shoe is on the other foot, and all I see is whinging from Liverpool fans implying that we're doing something insidious by "stealing" these players or "hijacking" deals. Quite simply - this is football, get over it.
  • THFourteen 19 Aug 2013 08:25:42 33,082 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:For years and years I had to watch Spurs targets choose Liverpool over us. In recent years the likes of Torres, Downing, Carroll were all targets of ours that chose you instead
    Hehe thanks for that, i needed cheering up this morning :-)
  • SolidSCB 19 Aug 2013 08:34:04 6,500 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm with rawk_carnation on this one. Spurs should be fucking ashamed of trying to sign football players with the aim of making their team better. It's underhanded and devious is what it is.
  • The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 08:34:08 14,109 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Futaba wrote:

Isn't this the classic "fear of change so stick with the devil that you know" argument that has been played out multiple times in history? I remember the EXACT same thing before we signed an unknown Frenchman from Grampus 8.

As for who? A good choice is Remy Garde of Lyon. Young manager with similar playing style of arsenal, learnt from Wenger yet still his own man with own view.
    Promoted in Lyon with the objectives to reduce wages, little budge and to depend on academy, yet in the past 3 (or is that 2?) has had Lyon in an upward progressive curve and challenged the rich boys of PSG. Currently look like the main rivals again for PSG, more so than Monaco.

It was just over a season ago many people were asking why Spurs ditched Harry for a "flop" in AVB (I wanted him before he went to Chelsea). Doesn't look to be the bad decision as once made out mow does it?
  • kalel 19 Aug 2013 08:34:25 86,743 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't say they were all players we'd have wanted in hindsight, but the fact remains that we lost out on them at the time.
  • LeD 19 Aug 2013 08:36:32 6,217 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Very impressed by Spurs's spending, looks like they've bought really well. And it might not stop there. At this point, they look a much better team than last year, even if Bale goes.
  • nickthegun 19 Aug 2013 08:36:42 59,282 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think most teams would have taken a punt on carroll.

Just not for 35m..

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• The-Bodybuilder 19 Aug 2013 08:39:35 14,109 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Its even funnier when you consider they were previously in for Willian too, long before Liverpool ever thought they had a chance.

Also, United must be taking the piss with such an offer. Just seems like they're trying to unsettle now. They should bid £28mil and a pound.
  • Page

of 5324 First / Last