The all-new Premier League thread Page 3849

• Page

of 5378 First / Last

• Trowel 4 Aug 2013 01:11:12 17,603 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If anyone's still up, here's a more or less full strength Real vs. Everton...

http://nutjob.eu/njtvx16.html
  • RichieTenenbaum 4 Aug 2013 01:30:24 2,196 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Real look the different class they are
  • Trowel 4 Aug 2013 01:43:57 17,603 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Helps when we have a pen given as a free kick and a goal ruled out for no reason, for them to run up the other end and make it 2-0. But yeah, Real look superb.
  • Trowel 4 Aug 2013 03:20:07 17,603 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    2-1 in the end - Jelavic pulling one back, but Real never really looked in trouble. Martinez's 3 at the back came in for a severe examination...
  • FWB 4 Aug 2013 08:56:57 44,236 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Wanted to watch that, but was shattered last night. EFC website says we were unlucky and our defense did well. I'll take that with a massive pinch of salt.
  • Shikasama 4 Aug 2013 09:00:35 6,756 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Everton could play 7 at the back and still get dicked by Real madrid
  • LionheartDJH 4 Aug 2013 11:04:51 19,394 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    JYM60 wrote:
    Arsenal fans booing their team in a friendly. lol
    So bored of a certain section of our fanbase. The AWOB and boo boys are so fucking tiresome, literally never happy.
    I think THF is pretty hilarious personally ;)

She dives for cheese pasties

• Blotto 4 Aug 2013 11:09:34 2,774 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm ok with a little grumble, especially mid/late season when there's no chance of a change and the same problems are coming up again but at half time during a pre-season friendly is just sad

I also endorse THF's humour. I'm beginning to question whether he's the real Henry though, from interviews I always thought he'd have a sunnier disposition.

Edited by Blotto at 11:12:14 04-08-2013
  • kentmonkey 4 Aug 2013 11:19:40 20,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    From another point of view, they might not have been booing the players, more the manager and backroom staff involved in transfers in a 'see, this is the same problems we saw last year, and you've done nothing yet to correct it'.

If they're booing players in a pre-season friendly, I don't get it. It's not their fault, and it's not a competitive match, and it doesn't really matter whether you win it or not (always nice to win, but not crucial). If they're booing those responsible for lack of progress, I get it. It's the first opportunity they've had to actually voice their discontent. Why not use that opportunity?
  • SuperCoolEskimo 4 Aug 2013 11:21:27 9,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @kentmonkey Because there's still a month left of the window, and Arsene said in his press conference that we are working on bringing in players.

It's just fucking stupid.
  • LionheartDJH 4 Aug 2013 11:22:02 19,394 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    I also endorse THF's humour. I'm beginning to question whether he's the real Henry though, from interviews I always thought he'd have a sunnier disposition.
    Lost his va-va-voom.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Syrette 4 Aug 2013 11:25:07 43,308 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    @kentmonkey Because there's still a month left of the window, and Arsene said in his press conference that we are working on bringing in players.

Arsene also said the current squad is good enough to win the league...

• Blotto 4 Aug 2013 11:26:18 2,774 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The fact that it was half time is possibly the worst part, they were so eager to boo they couldn't even wait till full time and then looked silly when we didn't lose.

Sends out a good message to players thinking about joining doesn't it?
  • SuperCoolEskimo 4 Aug 2013 11:29:45 9,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:

Arsene also said the current squad is good enough to win the league...
    What kind of message would it send to his current players if he said they can't win the league without any additions? He's not Arry.
  • SFD 4 Aug 2013 11:32:52 490 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    It was more pantomime booing rather than the usual sort we get during the season. The majority of the crowd seemed to be made up of younglings and parents.

It was all rather light hearted where I sat.

Make no mistake though, if we don't spend and have a bad result or two the place will go mental.
  • kentmonkey 4 Aug 2013 11:44:46 20,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:

Oh well, that's okay then, he's never lied before has he.

He also said that nobody had done anything in the window, other than City.

So all those players Spurs have signed don't exist then. Nor the decent deals Swansea have pulled off. Or, looking further afield than just the PL as surely he wants to win the CL, allowing Napoli to strengthen with players he could have bought doesn't count. Barcelona strengthening. PSG. Bayern. Countless others.

He comes out with an incredible amount of bullshit. I don't mind that, some of it has to be said to protect the club. But I also don't mind people that don't fall for it and think 'I can see where this is going. August 31st we're going to sign a really shit, fat, South American, some bloke from Derby County...and Diaby'.
  • Shikasama 4 Aug 2013 11:45:27 6,756 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's because people ar ebeing suckered into this idea that somehow these pre-season friendlies are indicative of something.

My colleague at work is now adamant Arsenal are going to win the league because they have been cleaning up in pre-season against the likes of Indonesia. He also think Giroud is getting the Golden Boot.
  • FWB 4 Aug 2013 11:46:48 44,236 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Giroud shouldn't be getting into a squad which finished fourth.
  • THFourteen 4 Aug 2013 12:49:50 33,189 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I don't really get the Giroud hate. He's a perfectly serviceable striker. We should have a better one as well, but he's better than say sturridge or jelavic and probably on par with defoe, which are the second strikers at the teams we are competing with.

Also don't really get all this angst at the transfer situation. It's been like this for eight years, surely it still doesn't bother you all? We aren't the team our fans still think we are, just accept that and move on!

The only thing that will really eff me off is if we sign Suarez.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Aug 2013 13:02:25 25,604 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think Giroud is awful.

Which is great news.
  • kentmonkey 4 Aug 2013 13:09:16 20,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I like Giroud. I don't think there's anything wrong with him. Last season was his first season in the Prem, and he still got a lot of goals. This year I think he'll do better. He's a rotational striker, perhaps not a 'RVP' quality striker, but that's not his fault.

I like him. Decent attitude, puts in a good hard-working shift, good in the air and gets into areas to score. He's the type of 1 in 3 goalscorer rather than 1 in 2 that you'd hope for in a top team, but again, he didn't sign himself to be the lead striker.

I'd rather have a player like him than a player like Suarez at the club.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Aug 2013 13:11:14 25,604 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    He just always looks like he's not really sure what he's supposed to be doing.
  • kentmonkey 4 Aug 2013 13:13:06 20,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think that's more 'okay, I've been running about for over two minutes now but still none of you clowns have thought to pass the ball forwards' look on his face.
  • thedaveeyres 4 Aug 2013 13:14:08 10,884 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    If (when) Arsenal don't win a trophy this season, I'll gleefully remind you that you'd rather have a totally mediocre nice bloke in the team than a complete twat who wins matches and trophies.

The latter type haven't done Utd or Chelsea any harm in their quest for glory over the last decade. :)

D****** ******r

XBLA: Hamster Trippin
    Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• SuperCoolEskimo 4 Aug 2013 13:15:36 9,779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes, I like Giroud but give me Suarez over him every day of the week.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Aug 2013 13:16:10 25,604 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be fair to Arsenal, Suarez is in a whole other league of nasty twats.
  • thedaveeyres 4 Aug 2013 13:21:37 10,884 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Not really. Keane boasted of going into a tackle to deliberately break another players legs, while captain of Utd, and ended a pro's career. Terry's racial slur was a whole level above even Suarez's. This after he'd fucked a team-mate's partner. Cantona physically assaulted a fan while actually playing a match. Ferdinand 'failed' a drugs test, effectively cheating in the most heinous fashion. Drogba assualted a referree and subsequently led to the ref receiving genuine death threats. I could go on and on and on.

I await the straw men arguments defending one or more of the above. It's bollocks. They're all twats.

Edited by thedaveeyres at 13:23:49 04-08-2013

D****** ******r

Steam: thedaveeyres
    PSN: HamsterTrippin

• kentmonkey 4 Aug 2013 13:23:57 20,586 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    If (when) Arsenal don't win a trophy this season, I'll gleefully remind you that you'd rather have a totally mediocre nice bloke in the team than a complete twat who wins matches and trophies.

The latter type haven't done Utd or Chelsea any harm in their quest for glory over the last decade. :)
    Honestly, that doesn't bother me.

I don't expect us to win a trophy this season, as due to season's worth of allowing decent players to go, and not really strengthening the team, I think we're 2-3 seasons away, with significant continued investment, before we could even realistically expect to win a trophy. If we win one this season, then bonus! I'd just like us to be in the mix more, more consistent and be more competitive this season. That's all.

However, I'd much rather do all of that without Suarez. There are plenty of decent players around with a good-average attitude. I don't understand a mentality of a club, a club that has wanted to be seen as the role-models of the Premier League, doing it right, not over-spending, criticising those that spend more than they earn for not doing the sport any favours, promoting from within etc. to knowingly go out and buy an buggershitarseholewankercuntface. If you buy a player and he turns out like that, fair enough. You can't predict, and you try to work with him. To knowingly buy somebody like that, who has proven it isn't a one-off (and some of his challenges are awful. Truly awful. The intent on his face as he smacks his studs down on their ankles and then throws himself like he's been fouled is sickening. He's going to end someone's career) is beyond me.

It seems that spending money you don't have is the root of all evil, but knowingly employing players who have racially abused someone, bitten, stamped on, deliberately stuck studs into opponents ankles multiple times, cheats in every game and been disruptive wherever he's been (especially at times of deciding he wants to move on) is absolutely fine.

We walked away from Higuain for him. I'll never understand that.

Not winning a trophy this season would make me feel disappointed but nothing more, as I don't expect us to. Signing him would make me feel sick.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 4 Aug 2013 13:25:13 25,604 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    thedaveeyres wrote:
    They're all twats.
    Sums up football quite beautifully.
  • thedaveeyres 4 Aug 2013 13:27:49 10,884 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Amen. :)

D****** ******r