The all-new Premier League thread Page 3845

• Page

of 5663 First / Last

• Trowel 2 Aug 2013 23:04:16 18,072 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't listen to FWB - he supports Everton.
  • morriss 2 Aug 2013 23:19:01 71,286 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Cadena Ser, some Spanish news agency, is reporting that Levy said no to 96m. Bale not leaving. Bale angry as Levy lied to him.
  • Dougs 2 Aug 2013 23:20:09 69,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I can't stand the fucker as much as the next fan but he's not actually been found guilty of anything in any court of law. Not to say he's not a dirty racist but ya know.

So this is what it's like to be a Liverpool fan.
  • morriss 2 Aug 2013 23:24:02 71,286 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BestfordC: According to Cadena Ser: "Levy has turned down Madrid's offer of 96m for #Bale & has told Madrid he's not for sale this summer at any price"

@BestfordC: Cadena Ser: "Levy told Madrid he'd accept that offer of 96m but if #Bale left NEXT summer, not this summer".

@BestfordC: Cadena Ser: "Levy promised #Bale he could leave for Madrid if we didnt get into CL this season & is angry as he feels Levy lied to him".

@BestfordC: Cadena Ser:"#Bale will give a press conference saturday or sunday to announce he wants to leave & Madrid expect deal to be done by monday".

@BestfordC: Cadena Ser: "When #Bale was told Levy turned down 96m he decided to give press conference probably tomorrow as he was promised he could go".
  • wogsy81 2 Aug 2013 23:31:03 759 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Dougs Wasn't he. Maybe it wasn't a court of law. I just said that to make him sound more twattish. But it was an FA enquiry panel type thingy that went on for 4 days so they must have had some compelling evidence to nail him.

Either way, he was found guilty and didn't appeal.
    And as much as i dont like Utd i really can't see Evra making it up. He looked quite incensed at the time.
  • THFourteen 2 Aug 2013 23:38:14 34,478 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    wogsy81 wrote:
    I hope he goes Arsenal and we end up finishing above them. That'd be hilarious.
    But Arsenal are in the Champions League so i can see the lure.
    I hate him so much that if he joined us, I'd want us to finish 17th.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 3 Aug 2013 02:54:59 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Suarez repays the faith liverpool have shown in him by threatening to take them to court:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23550760
    I think there is more to that clause than what we know. I love how Arsene in his press conference today almost threatened Liverpool with hostility if they don't comply, like some movie villain.

'We want to sign Suarez, if it is feasible, in an amicable way.'

It would have been fitting if Arsene had put on one of those voice altering Bane masks before delivering the line, and then ending the press conference.

'Once I sign him, Liverpool... Then you have my permission to die.'

Edited by SuperCoolEskimo at 03:09:48 03-08-2013
  • robc84 3 Aug 2013 07:06:02 6,098 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Levy has gone mad if he turned down that offer....
  • Dougs 3 Aug 2013 08:33:12 69,537 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    wogsy81 wrote:
    Weirdo
  • Baihu1983 3 Aug 2013 08:36:05 3,638 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dempsey to MLS? Thought he was under rated last season at Spurs.
  • ecu 3 Aug 2013 09:36:36 77,336 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Strange move for him, he's still capable of playing at a high level.
  • Trowel 3 Aug 2013 09:38:48 18,072 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He'll make a killing in image rights, especially with Donovan possibly playing his last season. US press are reporting Seattle are willing to pay him $32m over 4 years.
  • ecu 3 Aug 2013 09:57:48 77,336 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wow. Great signing for Seattle though. My brother lives in Montreal and attends quite a few Montreal Impact games, he says it's fantastic. Seems like a pretty good era for football in North America.
  • Syrette 3 Aug 2013 10:16:41 44,268 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd say it's a decision made with the World Cup in mind but I imagine he'd be a starter even if he hardly played for Spurs this coming season.

edit; guess it's the lure of first team football, being at home and serious money that's tempted him. Although I read that Everton were in the hunt for him earlier...

Edited by Syrette at 10:17:37 03-08-2013

• Syrette 3 Aug 2013 10:45:49 44,268 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can't wait for the new Premier League season to start... quiet weekend ahead of me and would be great for sitting back with a friend and watching the matches. All 4 of them.

I always gets a lot of enjoyment out of seeing all the clubs' new signings for the first time.

Edited by Syrette at 10:48:23 03-08-2013

• THFourteen 3 Aug 2013 10:47:40 34,478 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Giggity
  • wogsy81 3 Aug 2013 10:50:29 759 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    THFourteen wrote:
    wogsy81 wrote:
    Weirdo
    I don't think he actually means it.
    But if he does then damnnn, that boy sure does hate Luis "Bitey cunt" Suarez :)

edit: i forgot to put the words "bitey cunt" in my post. Fixed it now.

Edited by wogsy81 at 10:53:16 03-08-2013
  • Deleted user 3 August 2013 10:55:52
    ecureuil wrote:
    Strange move for him, he's still capable of playing at a high level.
    Capable yes, but not hard to see the appeal of spending his last few years in his homeland.

And realistically he was never going to be playing a major role at a top club here. Think I'd probably choose being one of the biggest names in MLS at that point in my career.
  • LionheartDJH 3 Aug 2013 11:35:39 19,549 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Of course it's true, he's the biggest cunt in football. We all tried to tell Liverpool fans this while their idiot players were parading Suarez t-shirts in defence of the racist, biting, nasty rat faced little shit. They're getting everything they deserve for defending this failure of a human being.
    +1

This whole thing couldn't have actually worked out any better in the 'reap what you sow' stakes.

I knew this would happen as soon as a CL club showed some interest in him, that all that ridiculously tribal morally vacuous loyalty and denting of the club's reputation/credibility would count for nothing and he would want to up sticks and go.

Like FWB said, racist comments, biting, diving, general twattery it's all 'poor Luis everyone is just out to get him'. But now wanting to leave for grander pastures suddenly it's 'this racist biter, he thinks he's too big for us, what a cunt!'. The irony is brilliant, especially considering the constant controversy and defending of him has in effect elevated him to the point where he has been made more important than the club as a whole.

She dives for cheese pasties

• Syrette 3 Aug 2013 11:53:25 44,268 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think I've had just about enough of this obvious charade.

Lionheart, who do you REALLY support?

• Deleted user 3 August 2013 12:10:30
    Dougs wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

Its amazing. The next league down from one that is about to get its first 100m transfer, a team is considered one to watch when they spend 4m on three guys.
    And a team like Coventry are (in their current form) no more. It's broken, totally. We (I) still continue the charade, but this disparity can't be right or good for the game.

/may have had a few
    While I agree Madrid's spending is laughable and that the whole financial side of football is utterly fucked, I do think things like the Bale and Ronaldo transfer things are basically anomalies, and shouldn't really be taken into account. It's a bit like when we did statistics in maths and you always ignored the high and low ends.

Realistically the Bale fee if it happens will be more than twice the top end of what everyone else is paying, and actually even those guys (the likes of Cavani, Torres etc) are exceptions. 20m-30m is still the bracket for top end players generally, and has been for really quite a long time now.

Again, I'm not saying it's not fucked, but pointing at things like the Bale transfer as an example of how fucked football is, is a bit like at pointing at some utterly freak once in a blue moon weather anomaly as an example of climate change. That's not to say climate change doesn't occur, but it's disingenuous to point at the anomalies for proof of it.
  • Blotto 3 Aug 2013 12:24:39 2,777 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    20-30m isn't really the top end anymore though is it?

At 34.5 million, the Higuain transfer is generally regarded as a reasonably cheap and good deal for a top end player. The rest, Cavani, Suarez, Rooney etc will/have been upwards of 40 million. This is the top end.

There is a 20-30 million section of players, the young promising strikers (Jovetic) or the slightly old (Negredo, Soldado). But overall I'd say that to sign a top player, if you're paying 30 million you've got yourself a good deal.
  • Deleted user 3 August 2013 12:31:43
    OK fine, it really doesn't affect my point.

Edited by kalel at 12:31:53 03-08-2013
  • speedofthepuma 3 Aug 2013 12:34:33 13,320 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Affect

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• Deleted user 3 August 2013 12:40:09
    Wow, even twenty seconds wasn't quick enough to correct that. Do you have some sort of alert system set up?
  • Deleted user 3 August 2013 12:41:02
    Although weirdly it took you nearly three minutes to type one word.
  • Blotto 3 Aug 2013 12:41:38 2,777 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Just discussion innit. Apologies M'lord
  • speedofthepuma 3 Aug 2013 12:48:15 13,320 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I have a problem kal.

I lurk. If I've spoken to you, I'm either impassioned, or drunk.

• kentmonkey 3 Aug 2013 12:49:40 20,934 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm not so sure.

Cristiano Ronaldo went for 80m four years ago who, for a number of seasons, had proved himself to be if not the best footballer in the world then at least in the top three. I think those that disagreed with him being in the top three players could be considered outliers.

If we take the argument that prices for 'top class' players have remained fairly static, that means that surely the price for a top three footballer in the world, proven over countless seasons, also has to have remained fairly static.

My fear with this, and possibly Wenger's thought process, is that somebody is willing to spend (if rumours are true) 80m+ on somebody who has really only had one great full season. One truly brilliant full season. And even then, as good as his season was...is he one of the best three players in the world? I really don't think so. Top 10 maybe, but then only maybe for me. There are players who I would rank up there with him, if not better than him (Van Persie for one) who, while not as great as Ronaldo and Messi, are certainly riding on their coat tails.

Bale's one of the youngest of that crop, which would add to his price a tad, but even so, the price has suddenly hiked up considerably.

35m gets you Higuain. 50m gets you Cavani. 80m gets you Bale. 26m for Soldado (who has really only ever done well for Valencia, and has looked 'average - good' at best throughout the rest of his career, and that's not a swipe, he could still do well for Spurs, but 26m for a 28 year old who's had two good seasons, and still not 'OMG amazing' seasons, smacks of more than would have been paid 2-3 years ago). 40m for Suarez who went for nearly half that two seasons ago, has only had one decent season in a competitive league (and even then doubts over his finishing ability and that his team played far better when he wasn't in it), and who's price arguably should have dropped or remained static due to his attitude issues and bans, and prices appear to be going through the roof to me.

The best deal in that lot appears to be Higuain, ironically, considering we walked away from it.

Cavani, for me, is one of those players that could be considered on a level with Bale, if not 'better' considering he's had three amazing seasons and one final season at Palermo where he was also batshit amazing, and at 26 in his peak. And he's gone for 50m which many would consider too much, mainly due to PSG's money. If Madrid are happy to pay 80m for Bale...what does that do for players in Bale's bracket of ability? Suddenly, surely, they all start to increase in price. "Well if Bale is worth 80m than our young Brazilian player is worth at least 70m".

With Ronaldo it was fine. He truly is an outlier. He's amazingly talented, played for one of the biggest clubs in the world and put in consistent performances season after season and everyone could see he's one of the best footballers ever. A wanker, but still amazingly talented. Bale...not sure he'll ever reach that height. And therefore he just can't be considered an outlier for me. And the risk there is this deal will completely screw the prices for other deals in the future.
  • Blotto 3 Aug 2013 13:17:23 2,777 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think the one thing that saves it is the fact it's Real Madrid and therefore it's partly a political signing. Neymar signed for Barca so Madrid need a big name player and Bales pretty much the only one left.

If Madrid had signed Neymar then if Bale was subject to a bidding war it would be for 50 million ish, a price probably more in line with the market.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't think this will affect prices because this is a special circumstance. Both the selling and buying of a player like Bale in the future will recognise this deal was different and doesn't represent the going rate for that type of player
  • Page

of 5663 First / Last