The all-new Premier League thread Page 3823

• Page

of 5470 First / Last

• ElNino9 28 Jul 2013 23:59:28 13,427 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Think it was Graham Hunter that said Madrid offered 120m for Neymar and set a limit of 150 if need be. They were devastated when he made it clear he only wanted Barcelona.

Madrid offering 100m for Bale isn't out of the question. The government will just write their debt off, anyway.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Dougs 29 Jul 2013 07:46:22 67,715 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If such rumours are true, as well as the rumours that he wants the opportunity, then Spurs are mad to turn it down imo. They can and will improve as a team if that is reinvested, or a sizeable chunk towards the new stadium.
  • King_Edward 29 Jul 2013 07:55:27 11,454 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think there's any guarantee Spurs could improve without Bale. Even with an extra 100 million in the bank.
  • FWB 29 Jul 2013 08:08:45 44,575 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ElNino9 wrote:
    Think it was Graham Hunter that said Madrid offered 120m for Neymar and set a limit of 150 if need be. They were devastated when he made it clear he only wanted Barcelona.

Madrid offering 100m for Bale isn't out of the question. The government will just write their debt off, anyway.
    Meanwhile the economy goes down the toilet.
  • Shikasama 29 Jul 2013 08:29:01 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You can see why Bayern are so pissed, with Germany bankrolling a Government that isn't making Real or Barca pay their tax bills as they make bids like this.
  • kalel 29 Jul 2013 08:37:12 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    If such rumours are true, as well as the rumours that he wants the opportunity, then Spurs are mad to turn it down imo. They can and will improve as a team if that is reinvested, or a sizeable chunk towards the new stadium.
    If they would actually make a bid, then we would find out how Levy and Bale would really feel about it, but right now it's all just rumour mongering.
  • Dougs 29 Jul 2013 08:41:16 67,715 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, hence my caveats! Never sure what is just paper talk deliberately put out by clubs etc.
  • THFourteen 29 Jul 2013 08:47:02 33,422 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I don't think there's any guarantee Spurs could improve without Bale. Even with an extra 100 million in the bank.
    I think there is more of a guarantee that Bale won't be single handedly responsible for winning so many points next season and they would be better off with a stronger all round squad.

At the end of the day Arsensl finished fourth last year without anyone in his class
  • kalel 29 Jul 2013 08:51:31 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's never any guarantees of anything (yay truism w1n).

We've got one of the best players in the world and in that sense we're very unlikely to be better off without him. Ideally we'd build around him, and new TV money and the fact that we're a well run club should mean that's a financial possibility for us. If we can keep him, we should.

At the same time, the "masterplan" seems to have worked a treat. We bought him young and cheap, he's dragged us up the league, and now we can sell him for ten times the amount. That is a massive success story for us, and it our business model in a nutshell. Pull that off a couple more times and we could really be onto something.

So it's a win/win in a sense, but that won't stop the Spurs forums imploding about it for the next five years.
  • nickthegun 29 Jul 2013 09:14:48 59,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its just *so* difficult to do that and, as the apocryphal 'harry drove bale to the city ground' shows that its easy to take a wrong turn.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• kalel 29 Jul 2013 09:30:17 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Three steps forward, two steps back is unfortunately how it is for clubs like us. It's progress, but it's a slow and painful way to make it.
  • nickthegun 29 Jul 2013 09:37:24 59,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think we have had this exact same conversation before and I related the sorry tale of how we used to be brilliant at this and then we stopped picking up Paulo Wanchopes and started picking up your Bjorn Otto Bragstads.

Similar kind of thing to Arsenal really. It just seems very difficult to do on anything like a consistent, reliable basis.

I believe that children are the future. Teach them well and let them guide the way. Our academy is producing a *lot* better players than our scouting set up is bringing in at the moment.

• kalel 29 Jul 2013 09:52:35 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, Bale is obviously an exceptional example of the system, but there's been a pretty steady stream for a while now - Carrick, Berbatov, Modric - and all the while we've been improving as a team. It's working.

Hopefully the fruits of our youth development labour will also flourish soon as well. Expecting Carroll and Townsend to play fairly significant roles this year.
  • nickthegun 29 Jul 2013 09:57:29 59,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I hope you are right because, frankly, seeing a player on the ascendancy is one of the most exciting things in football.

• monkeyspasm 29 Jul 2013 10:01:59 2,805 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As a United fan, I think Levy's a PITA but I know that if I was a Spurs fan he'd be an absolute hero. Spurs are really well run it seems, and I do think they'd perhaps be a better side with 80m+ reinvested in 3 or 4 more players. Who knows, Bale might not play as well next season (although I think he's got further to go yet, scarily) or might get injured. 3 or 4 world class players would be great business for Spurs. Now would be a good time to screw Madrid out of every available Euro, and Levy's the right man for that job.

They can't lose. With Bale, they'll be better than last year, and without him they'll likely have a much better squad.

I just want United to sign someone. Anyone!

/desperate

Edited by monkeyspasm at 10:03:39 29-07-2013
  • roz123 29 Jul 2013 10:10:31 7,113 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    :lol: you have Zaha. I am actually really looking forward to seeing how he gets on at Utd because he could be a very exciting player to watch.
    I've been reading up on him recently, mainly because one of his brothers just got pinched for stealing a phone in my local boots.
  • mikew1985 29 Jul 2013 10:13:24 12,739 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    We signed Zaha.

We're grand.
  • monkeyspasm 29 Jul 2013 10:14:21 2,805 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really like Zaha from what I've seen of him. Zanuzaj and Lingard have impressed on tour too, and it seems like Moyes wants them involved with the first team, which I'm looking forward to.

I do want a good marquee signing though! A proper box to box midfielder would be good. Don't think Fabregas is gonna happen.

And Zaha's brother was in the papers a while back, and is trouble by all accounts. Zaha himself seems a great guy though, worked hard to not go down that path.

Edited by monkeyspasm at 10:15:23 29-07-2013
  • kalel 29 Jul 2013 10:16:01 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We're not signing three of four "world-class"players whatever happens.

We've already signed Paulinho and Chadli (who suspiciously plays the same position as Bale), and it looks like Soldado is nearly there. That's I'm fairly sure all done with Bale being sold in mind (whether it's this season or next). He has basically already been replaced.
  • roz123 29 Jul 2013 10:22:25 7,113 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I have a lot of respect for Zaha or anyone really from Thorton Heath who makes something of themself
  • Widge Moderator 29 Jul 2013 10:29:17 13,573 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Saddened by the Reina departure. Sounds like they just told him to shift off rather than become 2nd keeper. Don't think that was handled particularly well.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• Shikasama 29 Jul 2013 10:41:43 6,835 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Liverpool FC not handling a situation well?

I refuse to listen to this obvious attempt at fallacious slander!
  • HarryPalmer 29 Jul 2013 11:00:23 3,319 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A friend of a friend - who I have met on two occasions - is a Liverpool fan, and he sent me a message on twitter the other night, listing Liverpool's trophies. He even included finishing 2nd in the league.

I really hope we sign Suarez, I think the fall out will be worth any future racist/biting/diving incidents.
  • Frogofdoom 29 Jul 2013 11:15:09 887 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If United to not add to our midfield this summer we will do bugger all. I think last season we were probably the weakest title winning side of the last 20 years and mostly won it due to Carricks form, RVP's goals and everyone else under performing. We wont be afforded the same luxury this year i am pretty sure. When you line our midfield up player for player against our rivals it is extremely poor and really does need some attention.
  • Widge Moderator 29 Jul 2013 11:17:23 13,573 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    He even included finishing 2nd in the league.
    Fair game under the Wenger 4th Place rule.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• kalel 29 Jul 2013 11:24:33 87,683 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Liverpool were ][ close to really cementing themselves at the top. If they could have won the league off the back of winning the CL, and maybe got that second CL, who knows what they could have done.

Should never have let Rafa go, that's for sure. Big mistake.
  • nickthegun 29 Jul 2013 11:28:43 59,922 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My favourite Rafa moment was rotating his squad for 99 games on the bounce and then leaving it unchanged for the 100th just to annoy everyone who were moaning about his rotation policy.

But, yeah, they should have kept him. As Joni Mitchell once sang in a rather high pitched and irritating voice...

• Widge Moderator 29 Jul 2013 11:30:44 13,573 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Should never have let Rafa go, that's for sure. Big mistake.
    Thing about Rafa was, the CL win covered up a rather poor league season, and for that epic run vs. utd, there were similar poor runs in the league.

The type of play that was seen under Roy H and initial Kenny was still the sort of play I had been seeing under his last season. I think it was right about that time to shake things up. Start again fresh, esp after the removal of Hicks & Gillett.

_ _ _

www.inverted-audio.com

• President_Weasel 29 Jul 2013 11:34:08 9,311 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Should never have sold the club to Hicks and Gillett, but the directors at the time made themselves rich from it. Hicks and Gillett's shambolic tenure was what wrecked them - although appointing Kenny to "mastermind" the "recovery" wasn't a particularly smart move either.
  • roz123 29 Jul 2013 11:39:32 7,113 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    If United to not add to our midfield this summer we will do bugger all. I think last season we were probably the weakest title winning side of the last 20 years and mostly won it due to Carricks form, RVP's goals and everyone else under performing. We wont be afforded the same luxury this year i am pretty sure. When you line our midfield up player for player against our rivals it is extremely poor and really does need some attention.
    There is talk of Fellaini going to utd in the next couple of days, he would be a very good signing imo.

Edited by roz123 at 11:41:48 29-07-2013
  • Page

of 5470 First / Last