The all-new Premier League thread Page 3764

• Page

of 5263 First / Last

• Syrette 13 Jul 2013 18:06:49 43,108 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't think Everton were ever linked to him for that much.

• Tom_Servo 13 Jul 2013 18:16:17 17,330 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Quite right, it was 8.6m. Still, big signing.
  • Syrette 13 Jul 2013 18:18:16 43,108 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No doubt.

Norwich have got him for considerably less than that (4.4m I think?) possibly because of the medical issue that scuppered his Everton move.

And I continue to be jealous of Norwich in this window. Norwich.

• caligari 13 Jul 2013 18:36:02 16,999 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Remember Leroy Fer, the guy Everton nearly signed not long ago for around 12m? Well, he's joined Norwich on a four year deal.
    Jah - really pleased with that. The Dutch Patrick Viera.

We just need another striker - and possibly another CB (it looks as though the guy from Ajax has rejected the club's terms) - and then we're all set for a top six finish.
  • scott1987 13 Jul 2013 18:46:53 123 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    At least Norwich have got rid of that fat Grant Holt.
  • Syrette 13 Jul 2013 18:52:47 43,108 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    and then we're all set for a top six finish.
    Heh.

• caligari 13 Jul 2013 19:07:20 16,999 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    scott1987 wrote:
    At least Norwich have got rid of that fat Grant Holt.
    Sad to see him go, but he wanted to move back 'up North' to be closer to his family.

It'll be great watching him play for Wigan in the games against Ipswich. Shame we couldn't have used him as a pawn in some kind of swap (plus cash) deal for Maloney.
  • kentmonkey 13 Jul 2013 19:13:14 20,451 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    caligari wrote:
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Remember Leroy Fer, the guy Everton nearly signed not long ago for around 12m? Well, he's joined Norwich on a four year deal.
    Jah - really pleased with that. The Dutch Patrick Viera.

We just need another striker - and possibly another CB (it looks as though the guy from Ajax has rejected the club's terms) - and then we're all set for a top six finish.
    You need a big, tall striker. Someone that's native country isn't Holland, as you don't want too many from the same nation, but close enough that they'll be able to fit in among the rest of the squad. So somebody from Scandinavia would be perfect.

Sounds like you need Nicklas Bendtner to me.
  • ecureuil 13 Jul 2013 19:26:31 76,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
  • kentmonkey 13 Jul 2013 19:33:29 20,451 posts
    Seen 25 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    It's a Me. Mohammed.
  • reddevil93 13 Jul 2013 20:36:42 11,376 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    How did Wellbeck manage to get a huge contract at Man Utd, I'll never know. Genius. Oh I forget, he's a local and came through the ranks.
    People really have no patience at all with young players. It's obvious he has a huge amount of potential yet isn't being given a chance by so many people (united fans included, which is mind boggling). The lad was one of our best players over 2 legs against Real Madrid and justified his inclusion over Rooney. If he refines certain aspects of his game he will be top class.

The attempted skill was hilarious though! :)

• danathjo 13 Jul 2013 20:56:02 7,243 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    isn't that Ron Jeremy on the right?
  • The-Bodybuilder 13 Jul 2013 21:22:53 14,077 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    How did Wellbeck manage to get a huge contract at Man Utd, I'll never know. Genius. Oh I forget, he's a local and came through the ranks.
    People really have no patience at all with young players. It's obvious he has a huge amount of potential yet isn't being given a chance by so many people (united fans included, which is mind boggling). The lad was one of our best players over 2 legs against Real Madrid and justified his inclusion over Rooney. If he refines certain aspects of his game he will be top class.

What aspect would that be? Scoring goals?
    Bet you said the same about Frazier Campbell too.

Be honest, if Welbeck was a Liverpool or City player, you'd think he was shite too.
  • reddevil93 13 Jul 2013 21:52:06 11,376 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Well yeah his finishing needs quite a bit of work, used to be a natural finisher at underage levels so the skill is there, he constantly seems to overthink chances though, frustrating to watch. That said, judging him on his goals alone is quite unfair as he barely played as a striker last season, I hate the term but he was used as a defensive wonger ala Kuyt a lot last year and put in some stellar performances. I've watched enough of Welbeck to form an opinion rather than people judging on stats and highlights. Could be proved wrong but have high hopes for him.

Never had any great hopes about Campbell, he never properly broke into the team and never looked like he would. Welbeck is still only 22 and seeing united fans giving up on him is absolutely ridiculous.

• Tom_Servo 13 Jul 2013 22:42:27 17,330 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BO98JaWCIAApfnd.jpg
  • Trowel 13 Jul 2013 22:52:27 17,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cisse is still refusing to wear a Wonga shirt, so Newcastle have told him to train on his own - nice...
  • ecureuil 13 Jul 2013 23:43:30 76,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:

He's a good player, people can think what they like. Could certainly do with adding goals to his game but he offers a lot and will likely continue to improve. I feel he contributes a lot to the team as it is. He really needs to improve his finishing though.
  • TheSaint 13 Jul 2013 23:46:23 14,201 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    he was used as a defensive wonger
    Sounds about right.
  • Syrette 13 Jul 2013 23:58:44 43,108 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Cisse is still refusing to wear a Wonga shirt, so Newcastle have told him to train on his own - nice...
    Apparently, yeah. It's a bit of a shambles although unlike most of my brethren I won't be rushing to a conclusion (i.e. that we'll sell him unless he 'behaves').

Apparently he'll not train till the issue is resolved. It should have been resolved before training started (even if just to get non-Wonga branded training gear) but this is Newcastle we're talking about.

The club have one senior out and out striker who we plan to keep (no secret that the club are willing to sell Ameobi) and the club have managed to sour relations with him. Classic Newcastle.

I've always said I prefer to judge windows when they close, not during, but I'm getting pretty restless about our lack of signings now. The only club in the league that is yet to bring in any senior players. With a weak squad, that has seen several players depart already.

Edited by Syrette at 23:59:30 13-07-2013

• Fonzie 14 Jul 2013 00:00:47 1,814 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    isn't that Ron Jeremy on the right?
    Thats exactly what I thought when I first saw what the new Fulham owner looked like.
  • vijay_UK 14 Jul 2013 00:22:09 2,080 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:

I've just read what I wrote and to clarify:

Wellbeck is fucking shit and should not be on 50k/week or 75k/week.

I don't care how many goals he can score Vs. San Marino, and I don't care how well he can grab his arse in front of fans when he scores against San Marino.

He should be on young player wages, and not get his agent to bully his club for a fat contract. He's not earned it on a footballing level.
  • The-Bodybuilder 14 Jul 2013 00:41:14 14,077 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Will help on his eventual move to Sunderland, which should give him the opportunity to have a purple patch leading to an offer from Liverpool to earn those crazy wages again.
  • ecureuil 14 Jul 2013 00:47:50 76,530 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    lol. This thread is great tonight.
  • Shikasama 14 Jul 2013 01:38:31 6,634 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's funny how Wellback doesn't score goals (he's a striker) and doesn't assist any goals (he's a striker) but he is so hard done by when people say he is shit because he works hard on the wing.

Rooney does score goals (he's a striker) and does assist goals (he's a striker), but when he works hard on the wing it's because he's shit and past it.
  • Syrette 14 Jul 2013 02:11:14 43,108 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Welbeck must be great/England-quality, he plays for Man Utd.

• Steve_Perry 14 Jul 2013 02:27:00 3,628 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It is strange English players from the most successful English club of the last 25 years being picked for England. Woy should look to Cardiff, Hull and Palace this year for inspiration.

VIVA STEFANSEN

• Trowel 14 Jul 2013 10:35:38 17,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Steve_Perry wrote:
    It is strange English players from the most successful English club of the last 25 years being picked for England. Woy should look to Cardiff, Hull and Palace this year for inspiration.
    A selection policy which has served England just fine for the last 47 years.

Half the '66 final team played for teams who finished outside the top 10 that season by the way.
  • Zizoo 14 Jul 2013 14:59:48 8,115 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Supersport United causing Man City some trouble. 0-0 at half-time with SS looking the better team :)
  • Shikasama 14 Jul 2013 15:16:36 6,634 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just because you play for a successful club doesn't mean your the bets player available in that position.
  • Trowel 14 Jul 2013 15:19:45 17,461 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    Supersport United causing Man City some trouble. 0-0 at half-time with SS looking the better team :)
    1-0 to them now - "Oh when the Supersport..."
  • Page

of 5263 First / Last