The all-new Premier League thread Page 3748

• Page

of 5377 First / Last

• Shikasama 9 Jul 2013 12:18:57 6,756 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    askew wrote:
    Liverpool moving on their ugly players then? Spearing's off to Blackburn.
    Tactical error when FIFA's new "six home grown players and one fantasy creature" ruling comes in. There aren't that many goblin players available, due to their hatred of the surface realm and fear of the yellow eye that burns them.
    :D
  • nickthegun 9 Jul 2013 12:23:10 59,457 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    @nickthegun

You dock their wages, they'll get into a huff and call their agent.
    So?

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• neilqpr 9 Jul 2013 12:38:50 2,844 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If Spurs want to play a lone striker Remy won't work. He likes coming in from the flanks and he's not strong enough to play the 'back to defenders ball holding forward' role.
  • vijay_UK 9 Jul 2013 12:40:36 2,104 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    @nickthegun

So?
    And the agent will send out flyers to other clubs saying their client is for sale.

Clubs want to avoid instability and will always bow to players wish, clubs have little control over players.

God knows what goes on in the changing rooms, these players might not be smart but they know what they're worth and what they can influence.
  • robc84 9 Jul 2013 12:44:23 5,491 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Plus he is a bit 'rapey'.

What's the latest on that anyway?

I wonder if we are now classing Bale as a striker too. So we have Bale, defoe and Ade as 3 strikers. Who plays in that position would depend on the opposition I guess. So maybe we dont need a striker after all.

I know, I'm just kidding myself.
  • kalel 9 Jul 2013 12:45:22 86,975 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    vijay_UK wrote:
    @nickthegun

It's simple - players earn too much hence the ball is always in their park. And the only manager with balls has now retired so it's all shit really
    Fact is, the rest of the civilised world get to leave their job if they want to, so you can paint them as huffy childish whiny selfish cunts as much as you like, but it's actually kind of fair enough.
  • kalel 9 Jul 2013 12:47:02 86,975 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    If Spurs want to play a lone striker Remy won't work. He likes coming in from the flanks and he's not strong enough to play the 'back to defenders ball holding forward' role.
    We want to play a front three. I can see Remy being far more effective than Lennon on the right of the front three, but yes, it still begs the question who the middle one would be.

Although I'd take Bale, Ade and Remy as a front three reasonably happily to be honest. It's far better than playing a 4-5-1 with a totally ineffective Ade in the 1 role.

Edited by kalel at 12:47:11 09-07-2013
  • neilqpr 9 Jul 2013 12:47:09 2,844 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robc84 wrote:

I wonder if we are now classing Bale as a striker too. So we have Bale, defoe and Ade as 3 strikers. Who plays in that position would depend on the opposition I guess. So maybe we dont need a striker after all.

I think his hearing is due in September, after the window closes. So I'd be very suprised if he goes anywhere before Christmas.
  • robc84 9 Jul 2013 12:52:52 5,491 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    neilqpr wrote:
    robc84 wrote:

I think his hearing is due in September, after the window closes. So I'd be very suprised if he goes anywhere before Christmas.
    I guess that kind of rules him out then.

Only options I can see are Michu and Soldado really.

There is part of me that is still hoping that Ade can get back to his 2011-12 form for us. If he can get a decent pre season in him and get his head right who knows.

I know he got a lot of stick last year for his effort, but from what I saw of him he looked like he was trying hard, just maybe lacking in confidence.
  • vijay_UK 9 Jul 2013 13:03:01 2,104 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    neilqpr wrote:
    We want to play a front three. I can see Remy being far more effective than Lennon on the right of the front three, but yes, it still begs the question who the middle one would be.

Although I'd take Bale, Ade and Remy as a front three reasonably happily to be honest. It's far better than playing a 4-5-1 with a totally ineffective Ade in the 1 role.
    I take it that Shaktar Henrikh (now Dortmund) was realistically a no-go then
  • kalel 9 Jul 2013 13:03:18 86,975 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Poople love to slap Ade with the "not trying" label, but it's never been the case in my view. Off the pitch he fucks about sure, but he always seems to try on it.
  • kalel 9 Jul 2013 13:04:07 86,975 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @vijay_UK

No idea.
  • vijay_UK 9 Jul 2013 13:04:26 2,104 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    vijay_UK wrote:
    @nickthegun

It's simple - players earn too much hence the ball is always in their park. And the only manager with balls has now retired so it's all shit really
    Fact is, the rest of the civilised world get to leave their job if they want to, so you can paint them as huffy childish whiny selfish cunts as much as you like, but it's actually kind of fair enough.
    Perhaps you're right.
  • President_Weasel 9 Jul 2013 13:10:36 9,183 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Poople love to slap Ade with the "not trying" label, but it's never been the case in my view. Off the pitch he fucks about sure, but he always seems to try on it.
    Yeah, those poople shit on everyone though.
  • Shikasama 9 Jul 2013 13:15:08 6,756 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It was a nightmare in my last job, absolute nightmare. I wanted to move to another company but had to be really careful about it to protect my 3 million bonus.

Even while that was going on, the tossers kept expecting me to show up for work (only in the mornings like) and wanted me to do this company event thing every saturday which took up like, the WHOLE saturday.
  • nickthegun 9 Jul 2013 13:19:28 59,457 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Captain obvious says its because they are part employee, part asset and until they are clearly one or the other, this is always going to happen.

He totally called it

• THFourteen 9 Jul 2013 13:19:36 33,188 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Yeah, those poople shit on everyone though.
    X-D
  • robc84 9 Jul 2013 13:20:23 5,491 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    If we were to go for Benteke, what would villa fans think of cash plus defoe deal. Would probably suit all parties? Or is defoe too old for Lambert's plans?
  • kalel 9 Jul 2013 13:22:15 86,975 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They are of course ludicrously privileged and utterly detached from reality, with a massively inflated sense of entitlement and self-worth.

However, they should really still be able to leave a job if they want to. It's sort of a different but related issue.
  • kalel 9 Jul 2013 13:59:28 86,975 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    robc84 wrote:
    If we were to go for Benteke, what would villa fans think of cash plus defoe deal. Would probably suit all parties? Or is defoe too old for Lambert's plans?
    I wonder if Dempsey might be more appealing. Could see that really working out well.

Obviously I'd rather lose Defoe, but it feels like we have to offer some real value if it's going to be a player plus cash deal.

The likes of Townsend and Livermore could well end up in the mix as well. Maybe even Walker.
  • Trowel 9 Jul 2013 14:05:17 17,600 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I could see Defoe at Villa. Do Spurs have the cash for Benteke without it involving some sort of swap deal?
  • roz123 9 Jul 2013 14:11:05 7,112 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • kalel 9 Jul 2013 14:12:06 86,975 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We have the cash for pretty much anyone. We're really pretty fucking wealthy.

The reason we don't buy expensive players is because we have a strict wage structure. and Levy has a very specific profile for players in terms of their investment value.

Wages shouldn't be an issue as Villa are apparently paying him a relative pittance, so it really just comes down to whether Levy considers the money spend on him an investment.

And it could be. If he is a regular 20 goal a season striker then he could easily be worth 30m+ in seasons to come considering his age. It's a risk though, as at this stage he could easily be another Darren Bent or whoever.
  • Gartt 9 Jul 2013 14:14:37 1,735 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    robc84 wrote:
    I wonder if Dempsey might be more appealing. Could see that really working out well.

Obviously I'd rather lose Defoe, but it feels like we have to offer some real value if it's going to be a player plus cash deal.

The likes of Townsend and Livermore could well end up in the mix as well. Maybe even Walker.

Wouldnt mind seeing Townsend as part of a deal, would give us something different down the wing with pace and skill. Walker probably not, I like Walker and he was good for us on loan, but Lowton was superb for us last year and want to see how he comes on this season.
  • robc84 9 Jul 2013 14:17:19 5,491 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    The reason I mentioned a swap deal was that because if Villa were to sell Benteke, they would be in the market for another striker. We in turn would probably be looking to offload one of ours. Defoe would probably move down the pecking order behind Benteke, Ade, Bale etc so would be looking to move.

Win Win Win.
  • kalel 9 Jul 2013 14:18:10 86,975 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I get it, again, I think Dempsey would be more likely.
  • robc84 9 Jul 2013 14:19:23 5,491 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also, I'd like to keep Townsend at Spurs this year. Give him some game time and see how he gets on. Seems like he has potential. Livermore is a decent squad player, but I'd not be overly bothered if he left. Even though he is a local lad so bit of a shame.
  • robc84 9 Jul 2013 14:20:48 5,491 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @kalel It was more aimed at the question about whether we need to do a player plus cash deal.
  • nickthegun 9 Jul 2013 14:26:41 59,457 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It would work out well for you.

Villa will want 30m, if you offer them 30m plus Dempsey, youve just offloaded a 50k (?) a week, wrong side of 30 player that is never going to get a game.

He totally called it

• kalel 9 Jul 2013 14:29:44 86,975 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I would like to offload Defoe and keep Townsend as well, but realistically even Levy isn't going to persuade Villa to let us have their best player unless we really put some value into the deal.

Dempsey is imo more useful to us than Defoe and I'd prefer to keep him, but he could really do well at Villa. And Townsend is a star of the future imho.
  • Page

of 5377 First / Last