The all-new Premier League thread Page 3744

• Page

of 5619 First / Last

• oceanmotion 8 Jul 2013 12:18:04 16,090 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Does anyone actually believe the Suarez to Arsenal rumour?
  • vijay_UK 8 Jul 2013 12:18:12 2,321 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Suarez is staying for another season. If Liverpool had managed to sign Henrikh from Shaktar they would have sold Suarez to anyone for 35m+. As I happens, with the failure to get Henrikh, they can just hold Suarez to his contract for the coming season and sell him next summer.
  • Kay 8 Jul 2013 12:22:33 17,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I really don't see Suarez staying. He's already complained about the English media and started fluttering his eyelashes towards Madrid. As long as they put in a big enough bid he'll go.
  • Deleted user 8 July 2013 12:31:39
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I want Benteke, and I think we should go all out to get him this summer, even if it means paying 20m for him.

It's the last window to get him really, as Villa won't sell him in January, and next summer he could be winning the WC with Belgium, at this point his value will triple.
    I really don't see the Benteke sale price being 20 million. I know Levy can work transfer miracles but paying 20 million for a player that has already scored over twenty goals in the prem and all that at a struggling side seems unlikely. Also considering his potential his price will be much closer to thirty,if not more. I agree with the rest of your post though.
    One season of scoring 20 goals doesn't get you 30m for me (unless he's English and hyped as the next whoever). I can possibly see 25m with add-ons, but I honestly think 20m is about right.

Potential is all very well, but at this stage he's as likely to be the next Jelavic or whoever as he is the next Drogba.
  • President_Weasel 8 Jul 2013 12:40:28 9,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Kay wrote:
    I really don't see Suarez staying. He's already complained about the English media and started fluttering his eyelashes towards Madrid. As long as they put in a big enough bid he'll go.
    That's absolutely true, but RM don't seem desperately interested. If they bid 35m+ I can't believe even Liverpool would be dumb enough to keep Suarez, but most of the Suarez to Madrid rumours seem to be generated from his ego and his agent's avarice rather than from a burning desire on their part.
    Still, if they can't get Bale maybe they'll settle.
  • President_Weasel 8 Jul 2013 12:41:52 9,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I can believe Arsenal would put in a never-going-to-work bid for him so they can be pretend aggrieved that it didn't work and tell their fans "look, we tried to buy somebody but the market is all meany boots to us".
  • Kay 8 Jul 2013 12:50:40 17,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The alleged 30m bid surely can't have been to appease the fans. I doubt very many would want a person like Suarez to join the club.
  • askew 8 Jul 2013 13:22:52 12,587 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    oceanmotion wrote:
    I can believe Arsenal would put in a never-going-to-work bid for him so they can be pretend aggrieved that it didn't work and tell their fans "look, we tried to buy somebody but the market is all meany boots to us".
    They could say that about the attempt for Higuain too.
  • Deleted user 8 July 2013 13:24:31
    There's a theory that Madrid got Arsenal to bid 30m for Suarez as a favour as part of the Higuain deal (to test the water for a price on Suarez, the theory being the price is always higher for Madrid).

Don't really buy it though. Don't think football really works that way.
  • nickthegun 8 Jul 2013 13:28:18 61,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm looking forward to seeing how the arsenal fans excuse his rat like behaviour

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Kay 8 Jul 2013 13:31:05 17,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    No need, it's never going to happen.
  • Deleted user 8 July 2013 13:31:49
    Does feel like it would never happen.
  • nickthegun 8 Jul 2013 13:33:45 61,093 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, it's a proper bid and they don't get made by accident.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Trowel 8 Jul 2013 13:34:42 18,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    New Spurs kits, not bad:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tottenhamtalk1/status/354209610896384000/photo/1
  • Kay 8 Jul 2013 13:36:29 17,954 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's one of those bids that was always bound to be rejected, though. That's if there ever was a bid.
  • Deleted user 8 July 2013 13:38:32
    Trowel wrote:
    New Spurs kits, not bad:

https://mobile.twitter.com/tottenhamtalk1/status/354209610896384000/photo/1
    Not awful, but not one I'll be getting. Hate our light blue away kits as well. My least favourite of the colours we always seen to rotate (the others being dark blue, yellow and occasionally purple).
  • Dougs 8 Jul 2013 14:03:57 69,114 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    In terms of horrible human beings even Suarez is a distant second to the likes of Merson.
    Merse is a bit of a twat, but he's not a bad person or even close to Suarez on the pitch. He just has an addictive personality and made some bad choices
  • Trowel 8 Jul 2013 14:14:02 18,016 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kone to Everton is done. Decent stopgap signing, should help Martinez settle into a formation too.
  • President_Weasel 8 Jul 2013 14:42:31 9,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Kone to Everton is done. Decent stopgap signing, should help Martinez settle into a formation too.
    He's not playing. Manager only.
  • roz123 8 Jul 2013 14:42:47 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago

Fiorentina have signed Mario Gomez for 20 million
  • Deleted user 8 July 2013 14:44:46
    That's good for us, they were sniffing around Villa.
  • captbirdseye 8 Jul 2013 14:55:51 5,282 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Perhaps Bayern will come after Suarez now? His agent is Pep's brother?
  • roz123 8 Jul 2013 15:06:57 7,113 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It does sound like Bayern will be looking for a striker as apparently Lewandowski is staying at Dortmund for another season
  • Deleted user 8 July 2013 15:10:12
    He's not really what they need for me.
  • President_Weasel 8 Jul 2013 15:15:52 9,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Well, it's a proper bid and they don't get made by accident.
    Except it's not a proper bid, is it? Anyone, even them, would know that a) it's lower than what Liverpool are ever likely to accept, and b) he's always whining that, any time he's a horrible lying racist or bites anyone, the horrible English press viciously report that he's a bitey racist; it's the same press in That London as in Liverpool so he's never going to Arsenal without more wages/signing bonus than Arsenal can possibly afford/would be willing to pay.

So if we define "proper bid" as a serious bid made in the reasonable expectation of success, it's not anything like a proper bid. I genuinely cannot see the rationale behind it, other than to fuck with Liverpool or to demonstrate "intent" in the transfer market. I'm sure there is a rationale, but "if we bid this amount we will sign Suarez" isn't it.
  • Deleted user 8 July 2013 15:17:59
    30m is never a piss-take bid to be frank (well, apart from perhaps Messi or Ronaldo). I'm again slightly surprised that it has been outright rejected. I'd have thought it would at least be a starting point for negotiation about add-ons etc.
  • President_Weasel 8 Jul 2013 15:34:53 9,606 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    30m is never a piss-take bid to be frank (well, apart from perhaps Messi or Ronaldo). I'm again slightly surprised that it has been outright rejected. I'd have thought it would at least be a starting point for negotiation about add-ons etc.
    There's at least a 5m premium for some variation on "Liverpool are slightly mental where Suarez are concerned/Suarez is Liverpool's only real asset and also their "look, we have a decent player" to try to entice other decent players.

A player they don't want to sell who has said he wants out of the country, who they value at over 30m, they're not going to sell for less than that to a team they see (perhaps deludedly given their current respective strengths) as a rival.

However I do see your point - 30m is serious money for anyone.
  • Page

of 5619 First / Last