The all-new Premier League thread Page 3705

  • Page

    of 4944 First / Last

  • Sid-Nice 20 Jun 2013 23:04:42 15,812 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nein.

    NNID Sid-Nice

  • spindle9988 21 Jun 2013 00:00:38 3,389 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Hodgson met with Premier League bosses to plead for the teams who make up the bulk of his squad not to be given high-profile matches immediately before international breaks in September and October.

    Instead, Hodgson discovered Arsenal will face Tottenham and Liverpool entertain Manchester United on the last weekend in August, immediately before England face Moldova and a vital trip to Ukraine on September 10.

    This has left Hodgson wondering whether the meeting was a waste of time, amid fears of injuries in such high-octane games.
    Why on earth should the needs of the England squad be considered when deciding the fixture list?
    Maybe because we want our national team to do well. Other countries look after their national teams, just not us. I can see Roy's point
  • teamHAM 21 Jun 2013 00:12:01 2,412 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Regardless of how well we look after the England team I'm pretty sure no high profile team in Europe rests any of their players, for a big game or not, so they can play in an international.

    A lot of this "everyone else does it, England doesn't" is a bit of a myth really. As has been proved on multiple occasions in the past, many of the players England have faced have played just as many if not more games than them that season. It's just another excuse.

    XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Games for Windows Live Gamertag: teamHAM

  • Fab4 21 Jun 2013 07:43:29 5,698 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I hope the Higuain story isn't just media BS.
  • THFourteen 21 Jun 2013 07:55:45 31,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @spindle9988

    Other nations fiddle their fixtures to make it better for the national team? I find that hard to believe TBH
  • Shikasama 21 Jun 2013 08:34:18 6,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Hodgson met with Premier League bosses to plead for the teams who make up the bulk of his squad not to be given high-profile matches immediately before international breaks in September and October.

    Instead, Hodgson discovered Arsenal will face Tottenham and Liverpool entertain Manchester United on the last weekend in August, immediately before England face Moldova and a vital trip to Ukraine on September 10.

    This has left Hodgson wondering whether the meeting was a waste of time, amid fears of injuries in such high-octane games.
    Why on earth should the needs of the England squad be considered when deciding the fixture list?
    Maybe because we want our national team to do well. Other countries look after their national teams, just not us. I can see Roy's point
    Firstly, you will absolutely have to prove that other countries manipulate their fixture lists to help the national side.

    Secondly, the a lot of the International players the England team comes up against play the SAME FIXTURES. On account of them playing in the Premier League.
  • nickthegun 21 Jun 2013 09:25:53 56,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah but, realistically, who gives a fuck about them?

    I want to see England do well and if that means massaging the fixture list, so be it but Sky want a big send off before a boring international week.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • TheSaint 21 Jun 2013 09:33:02 13,659 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe if Roy didn't just pick any old shit that happens to play for the same few teams the fixtures wouldn't be such an issue?
  • Dougs 21 Jun 2013 09:48:59 64,988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The problem really has fuck all to do with big games before matches etc, it all boils down to the fact that we're not good enough, and the players won't ever get to spend enough time with the England set up to try and make a coherent team whereby our failings are less obvious.

    I'm all for Wenger's idea of doing away with Internationals during the season and then having all the qualifiers in one 8 week block at the end of the season (or mid-season or whenever). Would lessen the impact on clubs and give teams a chance to work together for a decent length of time.
  • nickthegun 21 Jun 2013 09:52:30 56,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The problem then is that players would never get a summer break. Year one, qualifying tournament, year two, tournament, year one, qualifying tournament, year two...

    I dont know what the best solution is but thing clearly arent working at the moment.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Dougs 21 Jun 2013 09:57:23 64,988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Depends how much you could condense the season without the needless interruptions for Internationals. 38 games to be played over 30 weeks sounds do-able, which could mean the season ending in March sometime. But yeah, no idea what the solution is really, the International calendar is fucked.
  • Shikasama 21 Jun 2013 09:57:37 6,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Makes me laugh how all of the clubs complaining about the season being too long and too many matches and pointless firendlies blah blah blah, as soon as the season over, fly across the world playing commercial friendlies against nothing teams.
  • THFourteen 21 Jun 2013 10:01:34 31,849 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    just bin international football its poo

    give the world cup and european cup places to the countries with the most teams in the "champions" leagues.
  • nickthegun 21 Jun 2013 10:04:43 56,081 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like international football. I just wish we werent so shit at it.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Shikasama 21 Jun 2013 10:06:08 6,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I like international football as a way to see different players but I'm not really bothered by results or think it is the 'top level' of football.
  • Dougs 21 Jun 2013 10:07:38 64,988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The trouble is, with all the money in the game and global stars in the PL, International football is no longer the pinnacle of the sport it once was. I'll always be a fan, but it's pretty noticeable how my attendance has dropped off in the last 8 years (haven't been to an England game since the 2006 World Cup). I miss it, but half the attraction was going out on the lash with mates to a new European City. The football was almost secondary half the time
  • captbirdseye 21 Jun 2013 10:14:30 4,386 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Used to love watching Wales and went to practically every game, but over the years the standard of international football (yes Wales are shit but our opponents were no better) just got gradually worse and got to the point where it was just a watse of time and money.
  • Deckard1 21 Jun 2013 10:16:30 25,539 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I find it really difficult to like any of the players now.

    Called it

  • Dougs 21 Jun 2013 10:47:52 64,988 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    There's that too.
  • IMO 21 Jun 2013 10:53:57 5,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be honest, I enjoyed watching an amateur team consisting of fishermen and coconut-tree climbers misplacing passes straight to Andreas Iniesta far more that I did watching a bunch of overpaid 'pros' do exactly the same thing against 'lowly' Montenegro.
  • grey_matters 21 Jun 2013 11:17:41 3,407 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    IMO wrote:
    To be honest, I enjoyed watching an amateur team consisting of fishermen and coconut-tree climbers misplacing passes straight to Andreas Iniesta far more that I did watching a bunch of overpaid 'pros' do exactly the same thing against 'lowly' Montenegro.
    On the other hand, you very often get people in here saying that the Faroe Islands or San Marino shouldn't be in the qualifiers with the big teams despite having a quarter of the population of Tahiti and putting in far better performances.
  • IMO 21 Jun 2013 11:37:32 5,222 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    IMO wrote:
    To be honest, I enjoyed watching an amateur team consisting of fishermen and coconut-tree climbers misplacing passes straight to Andreas Iniesta far more that I did watching a bunch of overpaid 'pros' do exactly the same thing against 'lowly' Montenegro.
    On the other hand, you very often get people in here saying that the Faroe Islands or San Marino shouldn't be in the qualifiers with the big teams despite having a quarter of the population of Tahiti and putting in far better performances.
    And I wholeheartedly disagree with that too. Why should teams with the ability to win tournaments have to waste their time with eternal quarter finalists like Engalnd?
  • mcmonkeyplc 21 Jun 2013 11:48:09 38,942 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We should have something like the ICC champions trophy..WAIT! That's the confederations cup.

    Carry on.

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 21 Jun 2013 11:52:25 6,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    yeah tbh, fuck England. Boring.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 21 Jun 2013 11:54:15 6,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not sure if there are any legs in the rumor but If I were Rooney I'd jump at the chance to join Arsenal. I'd take a pay cut.
  • Shikasama 21 Jun 2013 12:01:13 6,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Not sure if there are any legs in the rumor but If I were Rooney I'd jump at the chance to join Arsenal. I'd take a pay cut.
    Why?
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 21 Jun 2013 12:03:17 6,654 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dunno, I think Arsenal would be a good club to play for. Less pressure arguably, and Wenger seems like he wants his players to express themselves creatively.

    Nothing concrete.
  • Kay 21 Jun 2013 12:07:02 17,407 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    More likely that he'll join Chelsea imo, if he does leave for another PL club. Really can't see a player of his mentality fitting in at Arsenal.

    It's a moot point anyway, as it's looking more and more likely that Higuain will join.
  • Shikasama 21 Jun 2013 12:09:29 6,288 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Higuain thing is becoming a bit of a joke now. Papers one day reporting it's done, then reporting nothing can happen until Carlo is sorted, different agent sin the press saying different things and Juve changing their minds every few days.

    I still can't fathom how Arsenal are the only english club involved for him if he's available.
  • Kay 21 Jun 2013 12:16:56 17,407 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    There's been a lot of movement over the last few days though, it's looking as good as done now. Looks like we snuck in early while the bigger clubs were too busy fawning over the likes of Cavani, Lewandowski etc.
  • Page

    of 4944 First / Last

Log in or register to reply