The all-new Premier League thread Page 3691

• Page

of 4885 First / Last

• Shikasama 17 Jun 2013 06:17:48 6,276 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    ITKs saying a world record bid has come in for Bale.

So 80m+. Not sure I'd even want us to say no to that.
    Hope that's true. Would mean that Real probably can't afford to bid for Suarez as well as Bale. Would also mean that Suarez would need to be valued at at least 60m.
    Scouse logic!
  • kalel 17 Jun 2013 07:09:10 83,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Don't we know Suarez has a 40m buyout clause?
  • grey_matters 17 Jun 2013 07:30:45 3,381 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Don't we know Suarez has a 40m buyout clause?
    It certainly has done the rounds. So much so that Liverpool came out and denied it (I think).
    Whether you'd want to believe them or not is another question.
  • kalel 17 Jun 2013 09:12:21 83,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also it's apparently PSG that have made the bid anyway.
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2013 09:18:18 64,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If true, that's a good chunk towards the stadium, not sure you'd be in a position to turn it down....
  • nickthegun 17 Jun 2013 09:18:51 55,849 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Kinnear stuff is really srs bsnss. Its like Ashley wants Pards to quit rather than having to have the faff of sacking him.

'Im going to boot out the shit and I will have final say on anyone we bring in' is not what you would call a ringing endorsement for the current manager.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Ultrasoundwave 17 Jun 2013 09:25:47 3,097 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I absolutely cannot believe Kinnear is back.

To be fair, his record for us wasnt that bad and he made some astute signings for us (Nolan, Ryan Taylor, etc) but i dont think anyone ever saw him as a long term solution.

Basically, i can only see things going one of two ways :

Scenario number 1) is that Kinnear works purely with Graham Carr to make sure we sign the right players - i would have no problem with that to be honest.

Scenario number 2) is that Kinnear tries to stick his hands in team business, undermines and over-rules Pardew on key decisions and forces his way back into the managers seat, resulting in a guaranteed relegation.

If i was a betting man, i'd put 1000 on option 2 right now.

"Look at banner Michael!"

• kalel 17 Jun 2013 09:26:22 83,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    If true, that's a good chunk towards the stadium, not sure you'd be in a position to turn it down....
    I think most Spurs fans would understand that you can't really say no to that kind of money, particularly as he will definitely go in the pretty near future regardless. Considering we paid 7m, it is astonishing business.
  • THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 09:54:17 31,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    I think most Spurs fans would understand that you can't really say no to that kind of money, particularly as he will definitely go in the pretty near future regardless. Considering we paid 7m, it is astonishing business.
    It all depends on whether the money is reinvested. If you sell your best players and the money is reinvested in Gervinho and Gazidis' skiing holidays then you will be massivley upset.
  • nickthegun 17 Jun 2013 09:56:09 55,849 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Says the voice of bitter experience.

He totally called it

• Commander Keen 17 Jun 2013 10:25:10 718 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You would have to be out of your mind to seriously make a bid of 80m for any player. If PSG have done it, I would bite their hand off for the money, to be honest. Every player has their price and no-one is bigger than the team. Bale's had an outstanding season, but if he moves on, we'll adjust and move on ourselves, just like we did when Berbatov left, Luka left, Ledley retired, etc.

We've consistently finished 5th / 4th for the last several seasons and there's no reason to believe we wouldn't be looking to do the same with or without Bale. Obviously it's a pleasure to watch him play (and a privilege) and I'd rather we keep him, but if a really, really stupid offer comes in, then we'd definitely consider it.

That said, I'm not convinced an offer of anything near that has / will be made. It's mostly public tapping up and negotiation going on in an attempt by Madrid (mostly) to try and drive down the price, because they're obviously only interested in paying what he's *actually* worth, which is probably slightly less than half of that.
  • morriss 17 Jun 2013 10:30:39 70,749 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Problem with Spurs is wages. 80m is all well and good but we still wont be able,to buy 25m+ players until we can pay their wages.
  • kalel 17 Jun 2013 10:36:11 83,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Problem with Spurs is wages. 80m is all well and good but we still wont be able,to buy 25m+ players until we can pay their wages.
    Our model has to continue to be finding players like Bale, Berbatov and Modric in the first okay. Buy low, sell high is fine as a principle as long as it perpetuates.

It's actually potentially a big mistake to start signing 25m plus players. The model can very quickly fall down and we're left with nothing but shit on high wages.
  • robc84 17 Jun 2013 10:37:11 4,350 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    And we can't pay those wages until our new stadium is built. The problem is staying competitive until then.

Regarding Bale, I think any offer over 40m we should accept and leave the decision up to Bale. You never know, he may decide to stay at spurs!

// Deluded
  • nickthegun 17 Jun 2013 10:38:03 55,849 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your problem, like arsenal, is when you stop picking up unpolished gems and start picking up unpolished turds and that seems to happen to absolutely everyone who relies on that as a transfer policy.

He totally called it

• kalel 17 Jun 2013 10:39:24 83,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Your problem, like arsenal, is when you stop picking up unpolished gems and start picking up unpolished turds and that seems to happen to absolutely everyone who relies on that as a transfer policy.
    Not everyone. Ajax have been a top European club for decades based on this system.
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2013 10:41:09 64,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Aye, it's always a gamble. But when you're signing players in the 7-15m bracket, it's affordable. As Kal says, it's when you start laying out for 25m players that fall flat that the problem arises. Difficult balancing act for all clubs bar City and Chelsea really.
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2013 10:42:19 64,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:

Not everyone. Ajax have been a top European club for decades based on this system.
    The difference is, everyone knows PL clubs have cash, so the price is normally much higher than for the likes of Ajax (and the wages of course).
  • nickthegun 17 Jun 2013 10:44:33 55,849 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thats more at youth level. Im talking about picking up your bebatovs and your modrics, reasonably well established players that can kick on to the next level.

At some point, you are going to start getting gervinhos.

I remember (hovis music) when it happened to us. We went from getting your Paulo Wanchopes and ended up with your Spencer Priors.

He totally called it

• kalel 17 Jun 2013 10:44:42 83,875 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    kalel wrote:

The difference is, everyone knows PL clubs have cash, so the price is normally much higher than for the likes of Ajax (and the wages of course).
    Sure, but we do have more cash, so it balances out to a degree.
  • Mr_Sleep 17 Jun 2013 11:08:07 16,247 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    morriss wrote:
    Our model has to continue to be finding players like Bale, Berbatov and Modric in the first okay. Buy low, sell high is fine as a principle as long as it perpetuates.

It's actually potentially a big mistake to start signing 25m plus players. The model can very quickly fall down and we're left with nothing but shit on high wages.
    See: Aston Villa.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Dougs 17 Jun 2013 11:11:23 64,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's pretty much the model of every club bar Utd, City and Chelsea and always has been. Just finding those players is increasingly difficult.
  • THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 11:21:54 31,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I thought our model was to buy expensive players who are shit?
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2013 11:22:58 64,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They might be shit, but they're not expensive in the whole scheme of things. Gerv was 8m up front (and I doubt we've added much to that!)
  • Commander Keen 17 Jun 2013 11:24:49 718 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Indeed.

I also think that the wages bubble will have to burst at some point as they're simply unsustainable, especially in a Financial Fair Play model. The idea that it should be the norm that most of your squad could / should be on 80-120k wages is insane.

A squad of 25 on the lower end of that is around 2m a week on wages. When most teams in the top flight have stadia with a capacity of between 30k-45k, it all starts to point in the direction of developing and nurturing youth, rather than buying expensive crap on high wages.
  • THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 11:25:03 31,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And the 10m+ 50k pw 4year contract!
  • THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 11:26:20 31,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    it all starts to point in the direction of developing and nurturing youth, rather than buying expensive crap on high wages.
    those yoofs will want high wages as soon as they come good.
  • Dougs 17 Jun 2013 11:32:01 64,902 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Meh, hindsight is a wonderful thing and all that.
  • Commander Keen 17 Jun 2013 11:34:46 718 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @THFourteen Yeah, but not the sort of prohibitive wages (at least to begin with) which would stop them ever coming to the team in the first place.

At least that way, you get them for x amount of years *before* wages start to become an issue.

I doubt, for instance, Arsenal would be able to match Nasri, Fabregas, or RvP type wages these days...
  • THFourteen 17 Jun 2013 12:00:29 31,804 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    True. But we are also stuck paying (eg) Walcott 100k per week. he's not really worth that.
  • Page

of 4885 First / Last