The all-new Premier League thread Page 3649

• Page

of 5557 First / Last

• Mr_Sleep 27 May 2013 14:44:39 17,215 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have a question for everyone, who is the player that gets all the blame at your club?

I've just been reading the bile that is directed at Bannan by many of our fans and it makes me wonder if every other club has a similar player that is somewhat unfairly blamed as the reason for all your teams wrongs.

Obviously with Arsenal it's Gervinho but are there any other more interesting and unexpected culprits?

You are a factory of sadness.

• King_Edward 27 May 2013 14:45:51 11,460 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    These things do need a slight refresh fairly regularly.
    Erm...why?
  • King_Edward 27 May 2013 14:46:57 11,460 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep

Pardew.
  • Tom_Servo 27 May 2013 14:51:54 18,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I have a question for everyone, who is the player that gets all the blame at your club?

I've just been reading the bile that is directed at Bannan by many of our fans and it makes me wonder if every other club has a similar player that is somewhat unfairly blamed as the reason for all your teams wrongs.

Obviously with Arsenal it's Gervinho but are there any other more interesting and unexpected culprits?
    http://e0.365dm.com/12/08/640/Jose-Bosingwa-QPR-vs-Walsall_2819247.jpg
  • ecu 27 May 2013 15:03:08 77,098 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    What was the reaction like to the Chelsea redesign? That really was a fundamental change as opposed to a freshening up like the Everton one.
    It was well received because it was actually a good redesign. Everton's is not being well received because it's awful. Feel quite bad for Everton fans that they'll have that shite plastered all over their official stuff now. The crest probably needed a redesign, too.
  • Tom_Servo 27 May 2013 15:04:14 18,031 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I really don't get why it's apparently an eyesore, but whatever.
  • Humperfunk 27 May 2013 15:04:50 2,298 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    To be fair to the Everton fans, it's absolutely dreadful. Like a Cartoon Network animator has been given the job of designing it.

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• ecu 27 May 2013 15:12:59 77,098 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I really don't get why it's apparently an eyesore, but whatever.
    Too cartoony, the proportions are bad (it looks "fat" ) the Everton font is badly chosen and doesn't suit the design, also it sits badly on the crest. The tower also looks worse, even though it does now look more like the real tower. I do agree with removing the latin and wreaths and bringing the year inside the badge. It's just a matter of opinion I suppose. I think this redesign could have been so much better.

Edited by ecureuil at 19:30:52 27-05-2013
  • Trowel 27 May 2013 16:26:11 17,929 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Exactly. The old crest was dated and needed a redesign, but the new crest displays a fundamental absence of design skill and understanding of Everton's heritage. Tower, laurels, "EFC"  - job done.
  • ElNuevo9 27 May 2013 17:06:05 13,493 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That crest is a joke, Everton fans have every right to be peeved.

It's like they gave some Crayola crayons to a seven year old and said 'do your worst '.

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Dougs 27 May 2013 19:28:47 68,537 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep our scapegoat depends on the time of year, we have several. Whether it's Gervinho, Santos, Ramsey, Arshavin, Chamakh. All have faults, but it's frustrating
  • FWB 27 May 2013 19:37:25 44,858 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's shit and once again the result of Scum. Fucked up our European dreams in the 80s by getting us all banned, fucked up our stadium hopes by vetoing it and now peeing on our crest.

Edited by FWB at 19:51:24 27-05-2013
  • captbirdseye 27 May 2013 19:47:55 5,139 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FWB

At least you'll play in blue...well for now.
  • LionheartDJH 27 May 2013 19:49:07 19,495 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Sweet tears! Actually have to feel sorry for you here; lost a great manager, likely to lose some good players, still no money and what do you get to make up for it? A shitty new badge not even designed by your own.

At least you finished above us, but not sure whether you consider that much of an achievement these days!

She dives for cheese pasties

• FWB 27 May 2013 19:49:57 44,858 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Admittedly the last one is our own fault for being so stupid as to give it one of them to design and not consulting the fans prior to making a decision.
  • LionheartDJH 27 May 2013 19:57:42 19,495 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It would seem an obvious thing to consult fan reps on granted. Not sure if other clubs have done the same when they've updated their crests though.

She dives for cheese pasties

• captbirdseye 27 May 2013 20:00:46 5,139 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @LionheartDJH

Nope :(.
  • morriss 27 May 2013 20:53:31 71,193 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Defoe for me. And Scott Parker. Mostly Scott Parker.

I miss Sandro.
  • TheSaint 27 May 2013 22:35:54 14,634 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Danny Fox for us.

A few games before the end of the season he was down injured and someone behind me yelled "Quick sub him before he heals."
  • Commander-Keen 28 May 2013 09:36:37 822 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    Defoe for me. And Scott Parker. Mostly Scott Parker.

I miss Sandro.
    Honourable mentioned for Gallas and Adebayor...
  • mikew1985 28 May 2013 09:43:24 12,901 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Who is second from right next to Dembele?
    To answer this two days later - I think it's the doctor that was praised following the quick reactions to Fabrice Muambas heart attack.

Spuds fans, feel free to correct me.
  • neilqpr 28 May 2013 09:46:33 2,860 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:

http://e0.365dm.com/12/08/640/Jose-Bosingwa-QPR-vs-Walsall_2819247.jpg
    You an R now DG?

Also we're not Premier league anymore. And we've a squad full of cunts to blame, though old monobrow would certainly top the list.

Briatore redesigned our crest a number of years ago, and the vast majority of us despise it. In fact TF has promised us the old badge will return season after next. Just in time for our Division 1 title charge.
  • Tuffty 28 May 2013 10:18:47 1,666 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    What was the reaction like to the Chelsea redesign? That really was a fundamental change as opposed to a freshening up like the Everton one.
    Considering Abrahmovic's decisions in the past few years and the reaction of Chelsea fans not so vocal opposition to it, I doubt they would be too critical of anything Abrahmovic does, in fear of driving him and his money away. He could decide to change the kit colour to yellow and I imagine they'll have to accept it.
  • kalel 28 May 2013 10:19:51 88,513 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Erm...why?
    All brand logos do. Even ones that you think have always been the same like Coke or Virgin or whatever actually go through fairly regular refreshes.

There's all kinds of reasons to do it, often very practical ones. The latest trend in logo design is heavily influenced by the need for logos to be easily represented on app buttons, and certainly the Everton one has a bit of of that to it.

But even beyond the practical stuff, there's all sorts of reasons to adjust and refresh brand identities, as it adjusts the expectations of the brand's audience. For example, it's possibly a coincidence, but again in this case, it makes sense to refresh the brand with Moyes leaving, as it helps fans adjust to a new period with new thinking.

/does this for a living.
  • Mr_Sleep 28 May 2013 10:41:34 17,215 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    There's all kinds of reasons to do it, often very practical ones. The latest trend in logo design is heavily influenced by the need for logos to be easily represented on app buttons, and certainly the Everton one has a bit of of that to it.
    Am I right in thinking that they had to massively alter the way adverts on telly were done to account for people fast forwarding through them?

• kalel 28 May 2013 10:43:52 88,513 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that they had to massively alter the way adverts on telly were done to account for people fast forwarding through them?
    Sounds very likely.
  • kalel 28 May 2013 10:56:09 88,513 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    As for our scapegoat, Walker has probably been the most targeted player this year, although the fan favourite scapegoat is definitely Levy. Whatever goes wrong it's ultimately Levy's fault for not spending enough money on players.
  • Commander-Keen 28 May 2013 11:08:58 822 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    King_Edward wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Erm...why?
    All brand logos do. Even ones that you think have always been the same like Coke or Virgin or whatever actually go through fairly regular refreshes.

But even beyond the practical stuff, there's all sorts of reasons to adjust and refresh brand identities, as it adjusts the expectations of the brand's audience. For example, it's possibly a coincidence, but again in this case, it makes sense to refresh the brand with Moyes leaving, as it helps fans adjust to a new period with new thinking.

/does this for a living.
    Quite an interesting infographic on this here: http://thelogocompany.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Logos_Evolve_4.png
  • Gartt 28 May 2013 11:15:45 1,816 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ian Holloway certainly has a way with words.

Edited by Gartt at 11:15:56 28-05-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 28 May 2013 11:19:14 17,215 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The scapegoat thing is fascinating to me you see, it just seems strange that fans will find a single player to latch onto as a problem. In Arsenal's case it seems to be quite a few! It seems so short sighted, every player has a bad game here and there but to think that there's one rubbish player that is otherwise stopping ultimate success seems pretty myopic. Yet there's so much energy and bile thrown at these players and they sometimes hardly play!

• Page

of 5557 First / Last