The all-new Premier League thread Page 3637

• Page

of 5263 First / Last

• nickthegun 21 May 2013 11:20:03 58,897 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I still cant quite believe that mourinho made such a cunt of himself that chelsea wont have to pay Real any compensation.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• reddevil93 21 May 2013 11:21:47 11,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Kolo to Liverpool then.
    So they're replacing one past-it CB with another.
    But adding a quality car-salesman to the squad.

• nickthegun 21 May 2013 11:23:13 58,897 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shouldnt you be gloating about winning two premier league trophies this year?

He totally called it

• reddevil93 21 May 2013 11:27:49 11,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm not sure if that's a weird dig or what? No need to gloat really is there. Just looking forward to next season, going to be extremely interesting.

Assuming you're on about the u-21s winning as well?

• nickthegun 21 May 2013 11:29:47 58,897 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah.

He totally called it

• Deckard1 21 May 2013 11:29:55 27,260 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Man U fans should get in as much gloating as they can to be honest. Got a feeling there's not going to be much to gloat about for a few years now.
  • imamazed 21 May 2013 11:31:49 5,524 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chelsea are holders of both the big cup and the euro vase; that's probably more worth gloating.
  • nickthegun 21 May 2013 11:32:38 58,897 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And now they are getting 17m slashed off the price tag for Jose.

He totally called it

• Baihu1983 21 May 2013 11:34:03 3,312 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Today's report says Bale will sign a 130K a week contract with Spurs with the option to leave if we don't get CL next season.
  • reddevil93 21 May 2013 11:36:24 11,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    Man U fans should get in as much gloating as they can to be honest. Got a feeling there's not going to be much to gloat about for a few years now.
    Really hard to know, isn't it? I think Moyes is a quality manager and hopefully he will be heavily backed by the board and make a marquee signing or two. Nice that there's been chants for him at the WBA game on Sunday and at the U21 final yesterday. Do think Chelsea probably should be favourites for the title next year though with Mourinho and surely a big name striker incoming.

• captbirdseye 21 May 2013 11:37:59 4,787 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Liverpool only need the other brother for the best footie chant in years :D.
  • graysonavich 21 May 2013 11:40:24 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Makes you wonder how much weight footballers actually put on CL football.

Lets face it, most games are just against the likes of Dinamo Zagreb and SC Braga. The chances of actually winning the thing are pretty fucking slim.
  • Blotto 21 May 2013 11:42:28 2,725 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    A lot, I'd imagine.

It's not just the games (though once you get the past the group stages it must be pretty rewarding) but also the fact you're on the world stage, it increases your fame, attraction to sponsors, attraction to other, bigger clubs.

It's just where you need to be if you want to be a top player.
  • graysonavich 21 May 2013 11:49:36 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Sure the *final* is massive. But big Premiership games are played to something like 650 million. Play for one of the teams everyone in the thread supports and you're guaranteed at least 8 big games a season.
  • nickthegun 21 May 2013 11:53:00 58,897 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I imagine the group stage figures arent hugely impressive unless theres a group of death.

A chelsea schlep over to some shitty borat team isnt what you would call a must watch.

He totally called it

• Blotto 21 May 2013 11:54:43 2,725 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I guess it comes down to wanting to play at the highest level against the best clubs.

Even a team like Arsenal who rarely get much further than the last 16 have had big nights against Barcelona, Bayern and AC Milan is the past few campaigns. That's what it's all about as a player.

Plus, the groups vary. City's group from this year for instance.
  • The-Bodybuilder 21 May 2013 11:57:14 14,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Players don't view games as big based on the viewing figures, they base it as big if playing against a historically top European team.

Just as English players want to play in the PL to roll with the best of the best in the country, players want to play in CL to play against the best of the best.

I don't get this idea that something is only worth it if you win a cup at the end of it. Is this some kind of new phenomenon or something?
    Most players don't actually believe/know they aren't the best in the world and the likelihood of ever winning something is slim, so to be at the centre stage is a great feeling.

Its like saying there's no point being an athlete and going to the Olympics when you know you have no chance of medalling. People want the experience too.

This "nothing is worth it if it isn't a trophy" is quite rather shallow. Makes it seem like the only reason to support a team is for the glory.

But I guess, that's why we have gloryhunters.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 12:00:21 21-05-2013
  • nickthegun 21 May 2013 11:57:26 58,897 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Champions League usually equals wedge and wedge equals the best players.

Im sure the majority of footballers would play for a team that would pay them the most as opposed to the one that could give them european football. It just so happens the two things generally align, with a few exceptions.

Just look at the cunts who joined QPR. They were clearly doomed but a handful of players who could have gone to better clubs elected to ride the gravy train for six months.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:58:11 21-05-2013

He totally called it

• reddevil93 21 May 2013 11:59:03 11,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    And also the obvious fact teams in the CL have the power to pay higher wages than everyone else.

Be interesting to see if 2 of the best players in the country in Bale and Suarez are happy enough to miss out on CL football for another year. Think the deluded love of the kop may keep Suarez for another year even if the club really should wipe their hands clean of him.

• spindle9988 21 May 2013 12:04:44 3,504 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @reddevil93

I agree we should get shot of Suarez. Just dont agree with it coming from a man u fan when they have shown plenty of deluded love to their players over the years. I even remember them chanting Argentina over and over again at a game once
  • graysonavich 21 May 2013 12:05:06 7,309 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, I guess it all comes down to money. "If I don't get CL football I'll leave [to a team who will give me more money]" sounds better than "If you don't give me more money I'll leave".

So in answer to my question, "fuck all, really".
  • nickthegun 21 May 2013 12:05:31 58,897 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Again, with Suarez and Bale its not so much missing out on champions league, more missing out on a club that will pay them 150k a week.

He totally called it

• LionheartDJH 21 May 2013 12:09:01 19,359 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @reddevil93
    Think it's more likely going to be other teams being a bit averse of his craziness than the zealots' undying love for him.

I'd bite anyone's arm for 30m for him.

She dives for cheese pasties

• mcmonkeyplc 21 May 2013 12:09:17 39,387 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    HAHAHAHA We won 2 trophies HAHAHAHAHA

Enough gloating?

Great :p

Edited by mcmonkeyplc at 12:09:33 21-05-2013

Come and get it cumslingers!

• reddevil93 21 May 2013 12:10:19 11,376 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    @reddevil93

I agree we should get shot of Suarez. Just dont agree with it coming from a man u fan when they have shown plenty of deluded love to their players over the years. I even remember them chanting Argentina over and over again at a game once
    Don't think any United player has continually made the club look like a joke like Suarez has and run United's reputation through the dirt like Suarez has Liverpool's. Though that's due to the conduct of the individual clubs as well.
    Your lot have shown recently they can cope without Suarez on the pitch, get 30m+ from some foreign club and spread the quality around the team so there isn't the reliance on one player, only way forward.

• Kay 21 May 2013 12:13:54 17,762 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://eaglesthatlooklikearsenewenger.tumblr.com/
  • RedSparrows 21 May 2013 12:17:26 22,076 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I doubt Liverpool will stop at Toure at CB. You'd think, anyway.
  • Deleted user 21 May 2013 12:18:53
    Kay wrote:
    http://eaglesthatlooklikearsenewenger.tumblr.com/
    Very good :D
  • cheeky_prawnking 21 May 2013 13:11:31 4,279 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:

I don't get this idea that something is only worth it if you win a cup at the end of it. Is this some kind of new phenomenon or something?.

Hi Arsene
  • Shikasama 21 May 2013 13:17:31 6,635 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah it's fucking weird that people equate success in sporting competitions in terms of winning said competitions.

I've never understood it either...how winning something is supposed to be better than scraping fourth place or not progressing past a quarter final or summat.

It's why I always maintained that Gravesend where the big winners in this season.
  • Page

of 5263 First / Last