The all-new Premier League thread Page 3618

  • Page

    of 5262 First / Last

  • RedSparrows 18 May 2013 10:47:49 22,071 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Kalel is correct. I am not saying Beckham was bad, far from it. I am suggesting his fame as a footballer is just a smidge absurd.
  • Mr_Sleep 18 May 2013 11:23:29 16,853 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Shikasama I thought pretty much everyone agrees Scholes is one of the best football players ever, no?

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Youthist 18 May 2013 11:45:52 10,010 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't really begrudge him him fame and celebrity though - compared to the behaviour and attitude of the next batch of top england players (if we can call them that), he should be knighted at a minimum.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • FWB 18 May 2013 11:49:30 43,876 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Far less worthy people get knighthoods.
  • Jono62 18 May 2013 11:55:25 13,963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It seems it was Glenn Whelan who put the pig's head in Jones's locker. Jones is alleged to have smashed up his car after the incident.
  • President_Weasel 18 May 2013 11:56:58 8,984 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Seems like a pretty reasonable response, to me. Nobody got hurt.
  • Shikasama 18 May 2013 12:05:31 6,633 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep It's an argument that pops up here every few months. It's why someone (kalel?) compiled a list of quotes!
  • Jono62 18 May 2013 12:14:50 13,963 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Not Kalel but Ecu probably

    And for old times sake:

    http://therepublikofmancunia.com/quotes-about-paul-scholes/

    Edited by Jono62 at 12:16:10 18-05-2013
  • Mr_Sleep 18 May 2013 12:19:34 16,853 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh I see. There's probably a quote from me somewhere too :-D Seriously though, he's a class act, I recall the match earlier in the season where Villa were very much in the ascendency and looked good for the win and Scholes's influence after coming on completely changed the match. Such influence at such an age says it all really.

    Edit: So this list of quotes, is it quotes from EG people railing against him or were you referring to the one posted by Jono?

    Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:25:02 18-05-2013

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • ecureuil 18 May 2013 12:24:11 76,530 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've never posted that list of Scholes quotes..
  • Mr_Sleep 18 May 2013 12:40:22 16,853 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Just looking at the latest B3ta image challenge for Star Wars filmed in Britain and came across this gem:

    Terry

    Edited by Mr_Sleep at 12:41:12 18-05-2013

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • THFourteen 18 May 2013 12:50:56 32,880 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IMO Beckham to me represents the ideal that kids today can aspire to.

    He's clearly not the cleverest person in the world, and not the best footballer either, but hard work, dedication and keeping his head down, not behaving like a (total) twat - although his various hairstyles came close - made him the institution he is today. He always gave 100% when he played, and came back from a few difficult periods (eg sending off in the important England match) to be a stronger person and player.
  • Baihu1983 18 May 2013 12:50:56 3,312 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Mr_Sleep :lol:
  • Mr_Sleep 18 May 2013 12:54:37 16,853 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One thing I will say about Beckham, he proved that I am superior to him in that my beard is excellent where as his looks like a creature has died and rotted on his face.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • DUFFMAN5 18 May 2013 12:58:00 14,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Just looking at the latest B3ta image challenge for Star Wars filmed in Britain and came across this gem:

    Terry
    Brilliant. He really is a total cunt.

    "Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem! Oh, yeah!"

  • mcmonkeyplc 18 May 2013 13:11:02 39,387 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    "David Beckham was a very good footballer. Paul Scholes was one of the greats and is irreplaceable". Well said football focus!

    Come and get it cumslingers!

  • morriss 18 May 2013 14:36:16 70,911 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I, unfortunately for me, am unable to see through the hype and genuinely believe Beckham is a true role model and an inspiration.
  • speedofthepuma 18 May 2013 14:41:56 13,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Funnily enough I just had a large conversation with my Liverpool-supporting friend about Beckham who said he would not feature for him in any of his top 5 teams (best XI, second best XI etc) because he was not actually that good a footballer, but was rated and successful because of his other choices and abilities.

    My argument was that he is one of the best right wingers in recent times because there's haven't been that many outstanding ones, we had a think and came up with very few; Ronaldo, Figo, then it gets thin. He therefore earns his place because the lack of competition.

    I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

  • Youthist 18 May 2013 14:48:01 10,010 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    And because of the Greece game. And that free kick. I disagree that it was due to lack of competition too.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • LionheartDJH 18 May 2013 15:05:33 19,359 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    His crossing and ball striking ability was amazing, definitely up there with the best on that front.

    Maybe not quite a world beater but still a very very good player in my book. If I made a list of the best wide mids/wingers of the Prem era I'd include him. Could never fault his dedication, a model pro and great ambassador both for the game as a whole and England/Britain as a sporting nation.

    Interesting that he has transcended his sport without being the best at it, unlike Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods for example. I think his notoriety/fame outside of football does impact on perceptions of his footballing ability as it doesn't quite match up, and also that you can argue some of his clubs have taken his commercial pulling power into account when signing him.

    Edited by LionheartDJH at 15:06:12 18-05-2013

    She dives for cheese pasties

  • Steve_Perry 18 May 2013 15:21:13 3,625 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Gary Neville made Becks look good. They played really well down that flank together.

    True story.

    VIVA STEFANSEN

  • speedofthepuma 18 May 2013 15:24:43 13,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    His crossing and ball striking ability was amazing, definitely up there with the best on that front.
    Completely agree, and when I made that point to my mate he couldn't disagree, then he said that compared to John Barnes he was rubbish. Then I stopped engaging.

    I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 May 2013 15:26:10 6,654 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    we had a think and came up with very few; Ronaldo, Figo, then it gets thin. He therefore earns his place because the lack of competition.
    Didn't Messi start out on the right hand side of Etoo?

    Beckham was awesome; his range of passing was superb imo.

    Edited by bitch_tits_zero_nine at 15:27:21 18-05-2013
  • FWB 18 May 2013 15:27:13 43,876 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You were speaking to a Liverpool fan. You expected logic?
  • speedofthepuma 18 May 2013 15:27:49 13,268 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    No.

    Sorry.

    I've turned off all the avatars and crap, so don't expect me to be impressed by yours.

  • Youthist 18 May 2013 15:34:19 10,010 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0GESlaVNdE

    Let us savour it again.

    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

  • ecureuil 18 May 2013 15:35:49 76,530 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    speedofthepuma wrote:
    we had a think and came up with very few; Ronaldo, Figo, then it gets thin. He therefore earns his place because the lack of competition.
    Didn't Messi start out on the right hand side of Etoo?

    Beckham was awesome; his range of passing was superb imo.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moBzfd0cyWo
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 18 May 2013 15:43:31 6,654 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    just awesome
  • FWB 18 May 2013 15:50:28 43,876 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t0GESlaVNdE

    Let us savour it again.
    Tis pretty incredible how Heskey was ever able to put on that shirt.
  • El_MUERkO 18 May 2013 23:45:27 16,956 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Falcao to City for ŁALLTHEMONEY.
  • Page

    of 5262 First / Last

Log in or register to reply