The all-new Premier League thread Page 3583

  • Page

    of 5470 First / Last

  • Deleted user 13 May 2013 11:55:11
    Just a few pointers about the Stoke v Tottenham game, on a day where we celebrated our 150 anniversary (in a lacklustre fashion) I found it ironic after watching the videos of years gone by, we have players play acting after minimal contact fouls (Spurs) and a team grinding out results to secure TV funds (Stoke) with a prehistoric manager- when.

    Spurs played well at times but the whole experience was marred by shite officiating (Adam's first wasn't a booking, second was a stupid challenge) and players rolling around, pissing about trying to get others booked / sent off (Vertonghen et others).

    In an age where sportsmanship seems to be going out the window, I do wonder sometimes if my time is spent better elsewhere than cheering on multi-millionaires.
  • RedSparrows 13 May 2013 11:55:39 22,721 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Wasn't AW criticised for always going for long-term, and wanted some 'quick fixes'? Arteta, Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud, etc.
  • kalel 13 May 2013 12:04:04 87,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    feeg86 wrote:
    Just a few pointers about the Stoke v Tottenham game, on a day where we celebrated our 150 anniversary (in a lacklustre fashion) I found it ironic after watching the videos of years gone by, we have players play acting after minimal contact fouls (Spurs) and a team grinding out results to secure TV funds (Stoke) with a prehistoric manager- when.

    Spurs played well at times but the whole experience was marred by shite officiating (Adam's first wasn't a booking, second was a stupid challenge) and players rolling around, pissing about trying to get others booked / sent off (Vertonghen et others).

    In an age where sportsmanship seems to be going out the window, I do wonder sometimes if my time is spent better elsewhere than cheering on multi-millionaires.
    Waaaah.

    If you like Sportsmanship so much you're definitely supporting the wrong team.
  • Shikasama 13 May 2013 12:05:10 6,835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The thing with a Stoke player getting sent off is that you can be fairly sure they deserve it.

    Maybe not in that particular challenge or even that particular game, but in the great cosmic balance, they deserve it.
  • Baihu1983 13 May 2013 12:06:33 3,432 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Anyway, enough of all that - great commentary here:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=GB&hl=en&client=mv-google&v=LxSndGh_lGk&feature=youtu.be&nomobile=1
    Sad he would have been booked for showing that passion for such a big goal.
  • kalel 13 May 2013 12:07:51 87,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    The thing with a Stoke player getting sent off is that you can be fairly sure they deserve it.

    Maybe not in that particular challenge or even that particular game, but in the great cosmic balance, they deserve it.
    Adam certainly deserves it for ending Bale's season, not once, but twice in the past.
  • nickthegun 13 May 2013 12:09:19 59,937 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Adam was a perfect choice for ushering in stokes new era. Skillful and a proper dirty bastard.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • Mr_Sleep 13 May 2013 12:13:02 17,067 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its weird, though. He was famous for signing younger players and bringing them on whereas now he seems to be buying players who are fairly well established at playing a a mediocre level. What kind of development can you give a giroud or a podolski?
    I'm not sure more established players are that averse to different and better coaching styles. I do think that Wenger hasn't managed to get nearly enough out of Podolski and I wouldn't be surprised if he leaves in the summer for different pastures.

    It's difficult for Wenger in many ways as he was stuck in one model that stopped being so effective and now he has a different model that is also not showing great rewards. I really do think that Arsenal wont be great again until they get in a new manager. They'll continue to be playing around the Champions League but I can't see them winning the prem before his retirement.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • kalel 13 May 2013 12:15:43 87,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Honestly, it's a joke to whinge about Adam's red. He was playing disgustingly. Left his foot in on every tackle (as is standard with Stoke) and should have got a straight red for stamping on Lennon earlier in the first half.

    Yes, in the end a bit of gamesmanship on behalf of the Spurs players and fans got him sent off, but that's what you get when you adopt those tactics. Stoke are disgraceful the way they play, and teams like Swansea and West Brom have shown that it's a completely archaic approach to staying in the PL and totally unnecessary. The sooner they are wiped from the PL the better. Horrible loathsome side.
  • Dougs 13 May 2013 12:16:02 67,727 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    Wasn't AW criticised for always going for long-term, and wanted some 'quick fixes'? Arteta, Cazorla, Podolski, Giroud, etc.
    What is a shame is that it's exactly these sorts of players that we needed to play alongside the promising kids but we couldn't afford to (that have now all left us, ). Ah well.
  • President_Weasel 13 May 2013 12:17:31 9,313 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    The thing with a Stoke player getting sent off is that you can be fairly sure they deserve it.

    Maybe not in that particular challenge or even that particular game, but in the great cosmic balance, they deserve it.
    A truth for the ages.
  • President_Weasel 13 May 2013 12:19:13 9,313 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Who is buying Benteke? One assumes he isn't staying at Villa even if they do avoid the drop.
  • Blotto 13 May 2013 12:23:10 2,776 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm worried about this thread. Let's not splooge all these "Where will X end up?" topics while we still have football.

    Save them for the summer months when we'll be endlessly analysing who has a house where and defending our chosen twitter ITK's like they're our gods.
  • kalel 13 May 2013 12:24:19 87,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    We're basically there though. Not much debate to be had now over 4th and relegation. It's in the lap of the gods.
  • THFourteen 13 May 2013 12:25:29 33,427 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Will we have to give Wigan a guard of honour tomorrow?
  • Shikasama 13 May 2013 12:28:06 6,835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Personally I prefer the ' X is doomed now', 'Surely X will be pushing Europe after having signed X' posts. They are the ones that provide the best fodder for the league proper.
  • Mr_Sleep 13 May 2013 12:30:51 17,067 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Who is buying Benteke? One assumes he isn't staying at Villa even if they do avoid the drop.
    I like to think this isn't the case. I also think it doesn't benefit him or the club to move this season. Unless he's a one season wonder of course. He could stay for another season and assuming he continues as he is then there'll be even bigger clubs in for him. Assuming he continues his ascent and doesn't get badly injured, of course.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • morriss 13 May 2013 12:32:54 70,980 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Honestly, it's a joke to whinge about Adam's red. He was playing disgustingly. Left his foot in on every tackle (as is standard with Stoke) and should have got a straight red for stamping on Lennon earlier in the first half.

    Yes, in the end a bit of gamesmanship on behalf of the Spurs players and fans got him sent off, but that's what you get when you adopt those tactics. Stoke are disgraceful the way they play, and teams like Swansea and West Brom have shown that it's a completely archaic approach to staying in the PL and totally unnecessary. The sooner they are wiped from the PL the better. Horrible loathsome side.
    Yeah, he was studs up in every challenge and made sure the man was clipped/wiped out every time - and those are the instructions he gets from his manager - who too, is a neanderthal cunt.
  • kalel 13 May 2013 12:35:07 87,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Who is buying Benteke? One assumes he isn't staying at Villa even if they do avoid the drop.
    I like to think this isn't the case. I also think it doesn't benefit him or the club to move this season. Unless he's a one season wonder of course. He could stay for another season and assuming he continues as he is then there'll be even bigger clubs in for him. Assuming he continues his ascent and doesn't get badly injured, of course.
    Not sure about that. He needs to be at a club in Europe to really get the big clubs interested in him. At the moment he's no different to someone like Darren Bent was a few years back.

    No offence, but I can't see how staying at Villa is good for his career. I can of course see how it's good for Villa.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 May 2013 12:38:22 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You don't know that 'studs up' is a mandate from his manager at all. He made some horrible tackles for Liverpool.
  • morriss 13 May 2013 12:39:16 70,980 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If his manager cared he'd tell him to cut it out or he'd drop him.
  • TheSaint 13 May 2013 12:41:24 14,397 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Vertonghen's wilhelm scream was impressive though.
  • Shikasama 13 May 2013 12:43:06 6,835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Hah!
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 13 May 2013 12:43:08 6,654 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not the same as actively encouraging.
  • kalel 13 May 2013 12:44:27 87,687 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    They all tackle like that at Stoke. I'm fairly sure one of their "tactics" (which presumably comes from Pulis) is to try and injure players.
  • Dougs 13 May 2013 12:47:16 67,727 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unsurprisingly, you'll get no arguments from any gooner...
  • OmniaVincitAmor 13 May 2013 12:49:32 1,519 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Honestly, it's a joke to whinge about Adam's red. He was playing disgustingly. Left his foot in on every tackle (as is standard with Stoke) and should have got a straight red for stamping on Lennon earlier in the first half.

    Yes, in the end a bit of gamesmanship on behalf of the Spurs players and fans got him sent off, but that's what you get when you adopt those tactics. Stoke are disgraceful the way they play, and teams like Swansea and West Brom have shown that it's a completely archaic approach to staying in the PL and totally unnecessary. The sooner they are wiped from the PL the better. Horrible loathsome side.
    One of the truest posts ever. I fucking despise Stoke and pulis and the way they defend their style of play which is set pieces and gbh. Pulis could try and change their style if he wanted. Adam is a playmaker and look how he performed yesterday. Wigan will probably go down and that collection of talentless cunts spend another year injuring players and throwing long balls. Brilliant.

    Defeat is not getting knocked down, but refusing to get back up.

  • Mr_Sleep 13 May 2013 12:50:25 17,067 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    No offence, but I can't see how staying at Villa is good for his career. I can of course see how it's good for Villa.
    My reasoning is that it's good for him to have stability in coaching and location and to get a consistent number of games. If he went to someone like Chelsea then he would not be guaranteed to play and as has been shown this season, he is not always that consistent and playing from the bench is unlikely to suit him, I'm not sure how he'd adapt, at such a young age, to a team where he isn't the focal point.

    Regarding the club being in Europe thing, I'm not sure that really rings true. I'd agree if he was an English player but Benteke is probably fairly well known now in the football world, plus he will be playing consistently for Belguim and will no doubt do well so also playing in the Europa league or something isn't exactly a big deal.

    I've no doubt some of my logic is based on bias but he wouldn't be the first player to show great promise only to jump ship too soon and never quite reach greatness.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • nickthegun 13 May 2013 12:51:11 59,937 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If I ever saw Pulis in a pub, I would give him a 'welcome to the boozer' punch in the face, just to make sure he knew I was there.

    I wouldnt really. I bet hes quite tasty

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • nickthegun 13 May 2013 12:52:05 59,937 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    To be fair on stoke, I had no real problem with that when they were newly promoted, but now they have money and are well established, its just ridiculous.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

  • Page

    of 5470 First / Last

Log in or register to reply