The all-new Premier League thread Page 3509

• Page

of 5248 First / Last

• Blaketown 30 Apr 2013 09:20:55 4,636 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    PSG believe they have successfully persuaded Arsene to leave and manage them.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10026250/Arsenal-manager-Arsene-Wenger-poised-to-end-17-year-reign-at-north-London-club-and-move-to-Paris-St-Germain.html
    Chelsea get Mourinho, Real get Ancelotti, PSG get Wenger, Arsenal get... Benitez?! ;)
    This silly season chain ends with Arsenal getting Loew and Germany getting Heynckes.

Everyone is happy.

Apart from Arsenal.

Edited by Blaketown at 09:22:20 30-04-2013

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 30 Apr 2013 09:24:02 86,323 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    'Arry's said he's staying at QPR hasn't he?
    He'll stay until he goes (truism for the win).

Him at Everton would make perfect sense. He'd love the job and they'd see him as a perfect replacement for Moyes.
  • Blaketown 30 Apr 2013 09:28:10 4,636 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, Harry will jump ship at the first sign of a job offer in the Premier League.

Harry is many things. Loyal isn't one of them.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 09:28:32 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I dont think you can underestimate how much the QPR fiasco has damaged his reputation. Hes come out of it looking like a right arsehole and an arsehole that you cant trust with money.

He'll get another job but I wouldnt be on it being a top, top, triffic one.

Edited by nickthegun at 09:28:56 30-04-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Blaketown 30 Apr 2013 09:30:29 4,636 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Surely QPR are the kind of basket case of a club that, like Chelsea, don't really tarnish a decent CV.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kalel 30 Apr 2013 09:31:55 86,323 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He's very good at sorting out his profile and image. I wouldn't count anything out at this stage.
  • nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 09:34:24 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, fair enough. He did come out of portsmouth ok and, amazingly, managed to jump ship from s'ton to portsmouth without getting murdered, so nothings impossible, I suppose.

If he did well at everton, it wouldnt surprise me if he jumped over to the red half with no real bother.

He totally called it

• kalel 30 Apr 2013 09:38:38 86,323 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Actually that's not a bad shout for his next job at all, especially with the Jamie connection. Harry as next Liverpool manger with Jamie as assistant? Worth a bet I reckon.
  • Blakester 30 Apr 2013 09:39:15 3,572 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:

If he did well at everton, it wouldnt surprise me if he jumped over to the red half with no real bother.
    *shudders*

When you can't see the angles on the wall you're in trouble.

• TheSaint 30 Apr 2013 09:46:19 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You can just imagine the moaning to the media when he got to Everton and found out they didn't have 30mil for him to spend on journeyman.
  • nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 09:48:49 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Everton can put their hands in their pockets when they need to.

He totally called it

• kalel 30 Apr 2013 09:48:59 86,323 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some debate over whether Di Canio meant to call Gary Neville a cunt or not:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3U2k2MezRGw&feature=player_embedded
  • President_Weasel 30 Apr 2013 09:51:31 8,944 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Are you people insane? Harry Redknapp is the worst possible choice for Everton manager.

Also, to go back a page, what's wrong with Paul Lambert being ambitious? Who out there wouldn't move on if they got a better offer?

He's stuck to his principles and appears (appears) to be building a decent young team of homegrown players by giving them plenty of playing experience together instead of buying in loads of overpriced journeymen. I'd love to see Villa stay up doing that, while QPR plummet to their doom doing the opposite.
  • mikew1985 30 Apr 2013 09:55:24 12,585 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    roz123 wrote:
    Next season on sky sports
    Really? Carragher? Perhaps I'm being unfair but I really doubt if he'll be able to provide much in the way of insightful punditry.

I've seen him a few times adn he's just as insipid as the worst of Sky's lot.

He'll be like Redknapp, with an unintelligible accent.
  • THFourteen 30 Apr 2013 09:56:12 32,857 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    calm down calm down
  • TheSaint 30 Apr 2013 09:57:22 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At least we have the summer to work out how to turn the subtitles on.
  • morriss 30 Apr 2013 10:09:03 70,911 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Liverpool, Liverpool, Utd., Liverpool.
  • mikeck 30 Apr 2013 10:12:04 1,902 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:

Also, to go back a page, what's wrong with Paul Lambert being ambitious? Who out there wouldn't move on if they got a better offer?

He's stuck to his principles and appears (appears) to be building a decent young team of homegrown players by giving them plenty of playing experience together instead of buying in loads of overpriced journeymen. I'd love to see Villa stay up doing that, while QPR plummet to their doom doing the opposite.
    I agree. I'd like to see Villa stay up because they're building a team in the right way, and hopefully will turn a corner and remind us of the team they used to be. Not too long ago that they were a genuine top 4-8 team.

I would like Spurs to go in for Benteke in the summer though, as well as pry Remy from QPR's grasp. I think Remy would be perfect at Spurs, and would give us additional options on the right as well as up top.
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 10:15:07 86,323 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I think we'll go in for Benteke but not Remy. Remy is likely to be on high wages, and want even higher. Plus he's slightly too old to have the future sell-on value that Levy likes.

Benteke though ticks all the boxes. Bags of potential, young enough to still be worth a fortune in a few years even if we do pay around 20m odd now, and probably not on silly wages. I also think we'll probably be more or less the biggest team interested in him, as I suspect United, Chelsea and City have or wil want better.
  • TheSaint 30 Apr 2013 10:15:43 14,199 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Didn't Lambert have picking the kids forced on him rather than as a concious choice?
  • Dougs 30 Apr 2013 10:15:54 66,637 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nah, he'll come to Arsenal. Ruining central players by playing them on the right wing is what we do best.
  • RedSparrows 30 Apr 2013 10:17:20 21,995 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Who thought Carragher would be a good pundit?!
  • nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 10:20:01 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, Remy has Arsenal all over him. 8m, match his QPR wages, stick him out on the right, job done.

He totally called it

• kalel 30 Apr 2013 10:21:28 86,323 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hoping our Belgian connection might help with Benteke as well.
  • nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 10:23:14 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its a sad state of affairs when a player has a good season the talk is immediately of a bigger club money hatting him.

He totally called it

• TVoJ 30 Apr 2013 10:27:24 1,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I think he's going to surprise a lot of you. JC is regarded very highly by his fellow pros for his unmatched knowledge of the game. He knows every player in every league everywhere.

Whenever an ex Liverpool player is doing a pub quiz and a football question pops up, they all send Jamie a text. That was straight from the mouth of Jan Molby and he's not too shabby with his knowledge of the game.
  • kalel 30 Apr 2013 10:31:29 86,323 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its a sad state of affairs when a player has a good season the talk is immediately of a bigger club money hatting him.
    It's just how it is. Realistically every player wants to play for one of the very best clubs, and every club on the way is a stepping stone.

Frankly it works for everyone. We wouldn't be in the position we are in now if players like Berbatov and Bale hadn't seen us as a stepping stone, and because of them we're in a better position to get better players, and so we progress.

There is no other system that could ever work, unless you somehow remove ambition from the game.
  • nickthegun 30 Apr 2013 10:39:39 58,782 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its more the assumption that its a foregone conclusion, rather than the player and/or club saying 'i'll give them another season'.

But, its true. We have raided league one all the way down to the conference to build our squad... ;_;

He totally called it

• mikeck 30 Apr 2013 10:39:44 1,902 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Remy is versitle though, and is actually able to play on the right no? Rather than being forced out there, it's a position he's comfortable with.

Well at least he is in my FIFA 13 team :)
  • SaucyGeoff 30 Apr 2013 10:53:51 2,559 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    TVoJ wrote:
    RedSparrows wrote:
    I think he's going to surprise a lot of you.
    Agreed. I thought he was excellent in his stint with ITV during the Euro's last year. It's probably not difficult, but he and Roberto Martinez put the regular terrestrial pundits to shame.
  • Page

of 5248 First / Last