The all-new Premier League thread Page 3505

• Page

of 4871 First / Last

• Zizoo 29 Apr 2013 14:27:10 7,665 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Haha! In other news, after a year the year of English Football getting rocked by racism, Reginald D. Hunter, a man famous for using a lot of racial language, is booked to play the PFA awards and calls suarez a nigger:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/reginald-d-hunter-at-the-pfa-player-of-the-year-awards-right-man-but-wrong-event-at-the-wrong-time-8594878.html
    RAWK are up in arms about this. They really are.
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 14:28:23 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Hah, I can imagine. But they dont realise that in Reggies culture, this kind of thing is perfectly acceptable. Indeed, its a term of endearment.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• RedSparrows 29 Apr 2013 14:28:55 20,738 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ZizouFC wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Haha! In other news, after a year the year of English Football getting rocked by racism, Reginald D. Hunter, a man famous for using a lot of racial language, is booked to play the PFA awards and calls suarez a nigger:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/reginald-d-hunter-at-the-pfa-player-of-the-year-awards-right-man-but-wrong-event-at-the-wrong-time-8594878.html
    RAWK are up in arms about this. They really are.
    :D:D:D:D:D:D
  • kalel 29 Apr 2013 14:29:03 83,784 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I thought Toshack did pretty well didn't he?
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 14:30:56 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago

Edited by nickthegun at 14:31:33 29-04-2013

He totally called it

• kalel 29 Apr 2013 14:31:04 83,784 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, Toshack won 22 in 53, Hughes won 11 in 41.

I guess you'd have to look at comparative fixtures, but a stretch nevertheless to say Hughes did significantly better...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wales_international_managers
  • Bremenacht 29 Apr 2013 14:40:21 15,739 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I only seem to post in this thread when it's near end of season and Spurs are faltering as per usual, soooo...

THFourteen wrote:
    I can easily see spurs winning their remaining fixtures apart from Chelsea. I think we are relying on Chelsea to lose to spurs and man utd to let us in, we might even need the, to draw with Everton. I just can't see us getting 9 points from 9
    Come on. Of these three sides, which has a track record of grasping failure from the jaws of victory?

The bookies certainly know.

Once an eagle taught me courage. And I will never forget that day

• Mr_Sleep 29 Apr 2013 14:50:15 16,211 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Hmm, Toshack won 22 in 53, Hughes won 11 in 41.

I guess you'd have to look at comparative fixtures, but a stretch nevertheless to say Hughes did significantly better...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wales_international_managers
    Perhaps. I was just going from memory and my memory is that Toshack failed while Hughes did okay. Not backed up by the stats though I guess.

You are a factory of sadness.

• nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 14:51:39 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think Hughes' record is considered OK since Wales are so shit.

He totally called it

• Shikasama 29 Apr 2013 14:53:03 6,272 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Off topic slightly, but Reg D Hunter is absolutely hilarious
  • kalel 29 Apr 2013 14:54:20 83,784 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    He tried to pull someone I know. He has very low standards.
  • Tom_Servo 29 Apr 2013 14:57:07 15,484 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    He seems pretty funny whenever he's on HIGNFY or whatever. Certainly a cut above a lot of the comics that do the rounds on the 187 panel shows that are on the go.

I genuinely don't get the fuss, frankly. Just a bit of a bandwagon over not a lot, really. There has to be a scandal/narrative!

Someone on Twitter made a pretty sound observation about it last night: a lot of football journalists are beginning to feel that simply writing about football is beneath them. Not sure why that would be (internet celebrity status the more prominent ones have because of social media?), but it seems like it might be true.
  • RedSparrows 29 Apr 2013 14:58:20 20,738 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Football in general seems to consider itself above mere sport.
  • Blotto 29 Apr 2013 15:00:21 2,497 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Probably because a lot of the football stories are so ridiculous and petty that it probably is embarrassing for them.

I'd imagine most of them have to spend their time writing bullshit transfer stories, stories about footballers doing stupid shit with their money and all that nonsense rather than actually writing about player ability/tactics and things that are actually interesting to hardcore football fans that i'm sure they must be.
  • President_Weasel 29 Apr 2013 15:00:26 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Either you back your manager full square and get hammered for wasting the cash, or you refuse the money and then get pilloried by the press for not investing in the squad when they "desperately needed re-enforcements".
    There has been a lot of that talk regarding Reading, it does look that way from the outside as they clearly haven't spent big to stay in the premiership but then I can't help but think it's sensible considering the likelihood of staying up was pretty low anyway. At least they'll be in a decent financial shape next season, especially considering the parachute payments.
    Yeah - they were one of the teams specifically in mind when I was writing that. There are a couple of others on both sides of the fence.

It comes back to the point I made earlier - if you don't have the off the pitch stuff sorted, you're just wasting your money. Spurs found that out when they outspent Arsenal for years with nothing to show for it, while the Goons were hauling home the silverware.

The problem is, people want success instantly. Not many chairmen have the patience to "do a Swansea", even if a quick look at German football these days would suggest that sort of long term thinking pays far greater dividends in the end!
    I think it was an article I was reading, maybe in the Grauniad, but it could have been the radio. Anyway, someone straightfacedly criticised Reading for not spending heavily to ensure Premiership survival, while simultaneously critising QPR for overspending to try to ensure theirs.
    Not content with holding two conflicting viewpoints at the same time, he finished his criticism of Reading not spending by saying it was just like last time they were in the Division, five years ago.

Reading: didn't spend beyond their means, set themselves up for survival in the Championship, came back. Probably set to do it again, now they can bank some Prem money and parachute payments.

Portsmouth and Leeds: overspent, "lived the dream", imploded.

I'm pretty sure I approve of Reading's actions this season.

Edited by President_Weasel at 15:01:15 29-04-2013
  • Tom_Servo 29 Apr 2013 15:01:07 15,484 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    On a completely unrelated topic, it's that time of year again: yes, it's the A-League bloopers!

Last season's effort had me in tears, so I'm very much looking forward to this. Starts off with a guy being kicked between the legs. Promising.
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 15:01:16 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think the fuss is because a lot of footballers are thick and everyone else there has a vested interest of making a thing out of it.

Its the problem with corporates, though. I saw one at a company I worked for who was a (pretty crap) surrealist like the dude who pops up on buzzcocks with the weird hair and odd leather jacket.

The audience was pure wheeltappers and shunters and devolved into pissed team leaders shouting 'tell us one we know'. Absolute shambles.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 15:02:51 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Someone on Twitter made a pretty sound observation about it last night: a lot of football journalists are beginning to feel that simply writing about football is beneath them. Not sure why that would be (internet celebrity status the more prominent ones have because of social media?), but it seems like it might be true.
    I think its because its reporting on the football industry, not football. To be a football journo now is basically like turning in columns for heat magazine with the odd junket to the nou camp.

He totally called it

• Tom_Servo 29 Apr 2013 15:04:09 15,484 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blotto wrote:
    Probably because a lot of the football stories are so ridiculous and petty that it probably is embarrassing for them.

I'd imagine most of them have to spend their time writing bullshit transfer stories, stories about footballers doing stupid shit with their money and all that nonsense rather than actually writing about player ability/tactics and things that are actually interesting to hardcore football fans that i'm sure they must be.
    You're probably onto something. Must be pretty disappointing to go to uni, get a degree and then spend your career writing about Mario Balotelli firing off fireworks in his house.
  • Commander Keen 29 Apr 2013 15:05:57 718 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    I'm pretty sure I approve of Reading's actions this season.
    Yeah, me too. Fools and their money are easily parted and all that. What Reading have done is far more sensible and sustainable, if less glorious.

But fucking hell, would you want to go through what Portsmouth did? Or Leeds? Even poor old Notts County!
  • RedSparrows 29 Apr 2013 15:06:52 20,738 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think the fuss is because a lot of footballers are thick and everyone else there has a vested interest of making a thing out of it.

Its the problem with corporates, though. I saw one at a company I worked for who was a (pretty crap) surrealist like the dude who pops up on buzzcocks with the weird hair and odd leather jacket.

The audience was pure wheeltappers and shunters and devolved into pissed team leaders shouting 'tell us one we know'. Absolute shambles.
    TONY LAWWWWWWWW
    You leave off. If you were insulting him. Not sure.

I'M WATCHING YOU
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 15:08:12 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    He was right about one thing: the football league is absolutely littered with former premiership teams.

He totally called it

• nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 15:10:40 55,848 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    RedSparrows wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

TONY LAWWWWWWWW
    You leave off. If you were insulting him. Not sure.

I'M WATCHING YOU
    Google tells me it was Paul Foot, so the guy at the corporate was a happy shopper Paul Foot.

He totally called it

• RedSparrows 29 Apr 2013 15:11:09 20,738 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    On a completely unrelated topic, it's that time of year again: yes, it's the A-League bloopers!

Last season's effort had me in tears, so I'm very much looking forward to this. Starts off with a guy being kicked between the legs. Promising.
    The one where the guy picks a ball up, goes to kick, misses, kicks the other guy, lolololol
  • Tom_Servo 29 Apr 2013 15:17:49 15,484 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    My favourites are the clips that are a total comedy of errors. 9:18 is brilliant.
  • roz123 29 Apr 2013 15:39:48 7,107 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The FA youth cup final first leg between Norwich and Chelsea is on tonight 7.45 ITV4
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Apr 2013 15:40:55 16,211 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    They might need to start getting players to wear cups in the A-League!

• THFourteen 29 Apr 2013 15:46:44 31,772 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    They might need to start getting players to wear cups in the A-League!
    People get hit in the nads fairly often it seems.
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Apr 2013 15:53:43 16,211 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It does all look a little bit like things that would happen if the prem thread tried to get a game together.

Also, I'm fairly sure I've seen quite a few of those things happen in the prem, not quite so many and with such ensuing hilarity though! Must be a fun league to watch.

• Shikasama 29 Apr 2013 15:54:41 6,272 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hang on, players don't wear cups?
  • Page

of 4871 First / Last