The all-new Premier League thread Page 3502

• Page

of 5327 First / Last

• King_Edward 29 Apr 2013 07:33:32 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I don't think De Gea is a particularly good goalie, but his mistakes have been few and far between this year from what I've seen, and there hasn't been any other outstanding candidate except maybe Lloris.
  • Shikasama 29 Apr 2013 07:39:48 6,700 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Serious question, why does the captain at Necastle hve to have great English when most of the first team speak fluent French

Edited by Shikasama at 07:40:00 29-04-2013
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 07:44:06
    Shikasama wrote:
    Serious question, why does the captain at Necastle hve to have great English when most of the first team speak fluent French
    To partake in witty banter with the eloquent locals, of course ;)

I'll be interested to see if Pochetino bothers to try his hand at English in interviews next season.

Who was that manager who employed an interpreter that, it transpired, just made stuff up for TV a few years back?
  • King_Edward 29 Apr 2013 07:44:23 11,454 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    So he can understand Pardew's instructions I guess. Tbf, Gutierrez's English understanding is excellent, he just has an unbelievably heavy accent that makes him difficult too understand.
  • Baihu1983 29 Apr 2013 07:55:42 3,377 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @morriss :lol: Yes until you suddenly remember what team we are talking about.
  • Baihu1983 29 Apr 2013 08:00:26 3,377 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @captbirdseye Would have been good to see him dive all the way up to get the award.
  • NotSoSlim 29 Apr 2013 08:12:28 3,119 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    King_Edward wrote:
    I don't think De Gea is a particularly good goalie, but his mistakes have been few and far between this year from what I've seen, and there hasn't been any other outstanding candidate except maybe Lloris.
    He is a very good goalkeeper who has come on leaps and bounds. Still will make a mistake and saves with feet when no need but he has toughened up big time as proven against Hammers.

Lloris is class too and have always had that opinion. Both Spurs and United in safe hands for years.

Think winning title will push De Gea on further as well.
  • THFourteen 29 Apr 2013 08:19:39 33,089 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think Diaby can count himself unlucky not to be in there, he played about 4 games this season.
  • Jono62 29 Apr 2013 08:30:15 14,021 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10024084/Liverpool-in-sponsorship-talks-with-Qatari-telecommunications-company-Ooredoo.html

The RAWK could hit the fan if they rename Anfield.
  • Trowel 29 Apr 2013 08:35:20 17,524 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    captbirdseye wrote:
    Wonder if Suarez would've won the award if it wasn't for last week. For me, he's easily been the best player this year and much more consistent than the rest.
    Voting was a while back so wouldn't have had any effect - apparently came second in the voting.
  • Trowel 29 Apr 2013 08:43:40 17,524 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:

I'll be interested to see if Pochetino bothers to try his hand at English in interviews next season.

Who was that manager who employed an interpreter that, it transpired, just made stuff up for TV a few years back?
    Ranieri used a steward with a rough understanding of Italian when he first arrived at Chelsea. Still works for them, big fella, see him in the background occasionally.
  • kalel 29 Apr 2013 08:52:42 86,743 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lloris became a regular slightly too late in the season to be in contention I think, and similarly I think Michael Dawson has had a better season than Ferdinand but again came through later. Very happy to have two players in there though. Both well deserved.

Edited by kalel at 08:55:22 29-04-2013
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 09:18:56 59,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    And Michu peaked a bit early.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• mikew1985 29 Apr 2013 09:20:43 12,645 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yea, I don't think anyone would have had any complaints if Lloris had gotten the nod in there, he's been excellent. He commands the area so so well.

As for Dawson, it was great to see him decide to stay and fight for his place and earn it back over the course of the season. You need that kind of mentality in players if you want to succeed.

He also hits a mean diagonal out to the flanks (although not on Saturday).

Rio has been excellent as well though, even yesterday he just had one or two moments of utter class where he completely bamboozled the attacker and brought the ball out of defence.
  • kalel 29 Apr 2013 09:20:53 86,743 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm very interested to see what happens with Michu. He reminds me of someone like Santa Cruz when he was on fire. I just have a feeling his career might go in a similar direction.
  • mikew1985 29 Apr 2013 09:23:14 12,645 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Santa Cruz always had a propensity to be injured though, even when he was bang on form, Michu at least doesn't seem to suffer from that particular problem.

I do kind of agree though, you wonder if he can really maintain the level that he's shown so far this season.

Edited by mikew1985 at 09:23:29 29-04-2013
  • Baihu1983 29 Apr 2013 09:25:13 3,377 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @mikew1985 Very happy he stayed and it was nice to hear AVB come out and say it was a mistake to try and sell him in the first place. Dawson fully fit is the best central defender England has IMO.
  • President_Weasel 29 Apr 2013 09:31:34 9,126 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:

Ranieri used a steward with a rough understanding of Italian when he first arrived at Chelsea. Still works for them, big fella, see him in the background occasionally.
    I think you're confused, he's managing Monaco now.
  • mikew1985 29 Apr 2013 09:33:16 12,645 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    @mikew1985 Very happy he stayed and it was nice to hear AVB come out and say it was a mistake to try and sell him in the first place. Dawson fully fit is the best central defender England has IMO.
    I'm not sure about him being the best, but he's an excellent defender.
  • Deleted user 29 April 2013 09:36:13
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:

I think you're confused, he's managing Monaco now.
    That's a big step up from being a steward.
  • nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 09:37:27 59,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its not what you know...

He totally called it

• Deleted user 29 April 2013 09:50:48
    Trowel wrote:
    Aye, that was the fella I was thinking about - didn't realise it was quite that long ago though!
  • TheSaint 29 Apr 2013 10:21:44 14,260 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Apparently Pochetino can speak English fairly well he just isn't confident enough for interviews yet. MotD edit his interviews now but when you see him live he often answers in Spanish without the question being translated.

Hopefully he will answer in English next season.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 29 Apr 2013 10:28:03 6,654 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I heard that. Good manager tbh
  • Mr_Sleep 29 Apr 2013 11:02:45 16,920 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ironlungs76 wrote:
    Trowel wrote:
    Aye, that was the fella I was thinking about - didn't realise it was quite that long ago though!
    I had a feeling the same thing happened with Capello.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Commander-Keen 29 Apr 2013 11:10:11 806 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Personally, I can see Spurs slipping up against one of Southampton / Wigan / Sunderland, and drawing another. 4 points there, tops for me.
    Bah! What is it with us and Wigan? Bar the blip of 9-1 (which as I recall was down to a second half implosion as the teams were 1-1 at half time) they're a team which we consistently seem to slip up against!
  • Baihu1983 29 Apr 2013 11:37:33 3,377 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Them and Wolves :confused:
  • LeoliansBro 29 Apr 2013 11:40:36 43,632 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10024084/Liverpool-in-sponsorship-talks-with-Qatari-telecommunications-company-Ooredoo.html

The RAWK could hit the fan if they rename Anfield.
    Sounds like Graham Norton mocking the colour of their kit.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 29 Apr 2013 11:59:53 59,316 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Good article on why and how QPR have fucked themselves: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22314331

He totally called it

• THFourteen 29 Apr 2013 12:36:04 33,089 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    19% - Harry Redknapp has the lowest win percentage of any QPR manager in the Premier League. Neil Warnock 20%, Mark Hughes 20%, Gerry Francis 37%, Ray Wilkins 39%.
  • Page

of 5327 First / Last