The all-new Premier League thread Page 3474

• Page

of 4872 First / Last

• Trowel 23 Apr 2013 20:38:23 16,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    To be fair to the FA, you've made a big leap from a 3 match ban being insufficient to assuming they mean a 10 match ban.
  • reddevil93 23 Apr 2013 20:41:11 11,247 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I imagine they'll go with 7 to stay inline with the Dutch FA, only precedent they have to go by.

• Orange 23 Apr 2013 20:49:45 4,563 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Course he had grounds, he slipped FFS!
    Slipping means nothing when it comes to the rules though. Most red card tackles happen because of clumsiness, whether it's poor timing, slipping on surface or slipping on studs. The rules do not say anything about letting a player off because they're too clumsy to stay on their feet or avoid slipping. Lack of intent isn't mentioned, just whether a foul endangered the safety of the opponent.

Edited by Orange at 20:52:18 23-04-2013
  • President_Weasel 23 Apr 2013 21:05:00 8,604 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's harder to conclusively prove racism than it is to prove biting.
    Although Teflon Terry could probably tear a bloody chunk out of someone's arm live on television and skate with a warning.
  • mikew1985 23 Apr 2013 21:25:27 12,037 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Also, much to the dismay of lazy journalists everywhere, Gotze has become the most expensive German of all time by agreeing to move to Bayern this summer for 31m
    :( I was stupidly holding onto a hope we might go in for him
  • Humperfunk 23 Apr 2013 21:30:34 1,603 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I assume everyone's seen Anichebe's quality tweet about Suarez. On my phone so can't link but my respect for Victor has increased. I also assume its a genuine account it came from.

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• Shikasama 23 Apr 2013 21:31:11 6,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    mikew1985 wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Also, much to the dismay of lazy journalists everywhere, Gotze has become the most expensive German of all time by agreeing to move to Bayern this summer for 31m
    :( I was stupidly holding onto a hope we might go in for him
    I would have loved to have him in the Premiership as well to be honest.

But not at man City where he'd be converted to a holding midfielder
  • FWB 23 Apr 2013 21:39:08 41,896 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The book will be big cos of his priors. So more than eight is not unreasonable. He's not just a cunt, but an idiot. Thick as shit, since he doesn't seem to learn. Maybe a hefty ban will get through that dense skull of his.
  • Nades 23 Apr 2013 21:53:13 623 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Although Teflon Terry could probably tear a bloody chunk out of someone's arm live on television and skate with a warning.
    If it wasn't conclusively proven, he should never of got in trouble for it in my opinion.

Liverpool FC

• Trowel 23 Apr 2013 21:54:33 16,833 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Humperfunk wrote:
    I assume everyone's seen Anichebe's quality tweet about Suarez. On my phone so can't link but my respect for Victor has increased. I also assume its a genuine account it came from.
    Sadly not a genuine account, as it would have instantly changed the opinion of half of Everton fans for the better!
  • Humperfunk 23 Apr 2013 21:58:46 1,603 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hahaha damn! I knew it was too good to be true!

PSN & NNID: Wedjwants

• The-Bodybuilder 24 Apr 2013 07:53:59 13,608 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Menace wrote:
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Would love Klopp at Arsenal afer Wenger leaves.
    Maybe when he gets sick of BM stealing his players, he will come to us. So he can get sick of City stealing his players.
    You can't have him - I want him at OT! ;)
    Pre-emptive theft is still theft.
    You're gonna have Mourinho. Accept that, suckers.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Apr 2013 07:55:16 13,608 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nades wrote:
    So biting someone which obviously wasn't that hard of a bite is worse than racism? Hmmm yeah good one FA.
    Bite hardness is a factor?

But you're right, he should've got half-a-seasons ban for the racist comment, and then 10 for this.
  • The-Bodybuilder 24 Apr 2013 07:57:53 13,608 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nades wrote:
    President_Weasel wrote:
    If it wasn't conclusively proven, he should never of got in trouble for it in my opinion.
    So.....his biting should't be as long as his racist ban, yet you're also saying his racism wasn't conclusive, and thus an explanation as to why it should't be that long/shorter than the bite?

In other words.....get back to RAWK.
  • Shikasama 24 Apr 2013 08:00:12 6,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's amusing how many people have gone for 'If it is more than his ban for racism then they are saying biting is worse than racism'. Quite aside from that type of 'if X is Y then = Z' logic is crap, it's just as fair to say that his ban over the racism affair wasn't severe enough.
  • kalel 24 Apr 2013 09:28:58 83,795 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I think the real issue there is that the racism ban wasn't long enough by far, and now the FA have a real pickle on their hands with this punishment.

For me the solution is to imply that this ban takes into account the previous ban for racism, and they give him an extended ban for "continual brining the game into disrepute" or something like that.
  • nickthegun 24 Apr 2013 09:32:22 55,848 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The continuing saga of 'The FA are fucking useless'

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• kentmonkey 24 Apr 2013 09:32:45 20,067 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Surely that's what they'll do though, no? I mean, I know the FA aren't always sensible, but this is almost too sensible for them not to have realised.

In the whole racism thing you had his 'but in Uruguay it is usual for us to treat black people like this' bullshit he was peddling. Which I'd hope nobody fell for, but may have led them to be able to slightly reduce the punishment due to mitigating circumstances or something similar. I can't see how he can use the same excuse this time. 'but in Uruguay, it's a mark of respect for us to bite somebody. They wear bite marks as a sign of respect'.
  • kalel 24 Apr 2013 09:40:41 83,795 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Well, again, there's the slight issue of Defoe doing it once and nothing being done about it. Again though, they can get round this for the punishment being for a broader 'crime'.

Which frankly is the point.
  • Shikasama 24 Apr 2013 09:42:08 6,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    To be fair they can throw the book at him with relative impunity. He won't be here next year :D
  • kalel 24 Apr 2013 09:42:54 83,795 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The bans carry over to different leagues so it could actually end up having a significant impact on his price, or even whether he goes at all.
  • Shikasama 24 Apr 2013 09:43:49 6,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Now that I did not know, but now you mention it I remember it happening with Barton.

Good point.
  • Deckard1 24 Apr 2013 09:45:13 25,336 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It would be nice to see some honesty from the FA - "Look, everyone knows what a vile cunt he is, so we're going to give him a 15 game ban."

Called it

• kentmonkey 24 Apr 2013 09:46:13 20,067 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    It would be nice to see some honesty from the FA - "Look, everyone knows what a vile cunt he is, so we're going to give him a 15 game ban."
    + a billionty
  • imamazed 24 Apr 2013 09:46:22 5,450 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    I'd bloody love it if that was the press release. No more detail, just that.
  • Blaketown 24 Apr 2013 09:47:09 4,630 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Surely that's what they'll do though, no? I mean, I know the FA aren't always sensible, but this is almost too sensible for them not to have realised.

In the whole racism thing you had his 'but in Uruguay it is usual for us to treat black people like this' bullshit he was peddling. Which I'd hope nobody fell for, but may have led them to be able to slightly reduce the punishment due to mitigating circumstances or something similar. I can't see how he can use the same excuse this time. 'but in Uruguay, it's a mark of respect for us to bite somebody. They wear bite marks as a sign of respect'.
    Ironically the Rugby team that crashed in the Andes (in Alive), and resorted to cannibalism to survive were Uruguayan. So there is a cultural precedent. Maybe it is more acceptable.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• nickthegun 24 Apr 2013 09:48:35 55,848 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Maybe they all taste like Guinea Pigs.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Blaketown 24 Apr 2013 09:49:28 4,630 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The bans carry over to different leagues so it could actually end up having a significant impact on his price, or even whether he goes at all.
    As someone pointed out on twitter, he was signed by Liverpool while serving a lengthy ban for biting. It's just how he leaves a club. It's like his version of throwing the microphone to the ground.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• kentmonkey 24 Apr 2013 09:49:37 20,067 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    At my junior school the teachers used to settle playground fights with a 'tit-for-tat' mentality. Without any tits.

So for example, if somebody bit somebody and made them cry, they used to hold the biter still and let the person who was bit bite them back. Same with a punch. We did get a little excited once when one kid stamped on another kids head on the playground and made his head bleed, but they seemed to stop short of repeating that one.

Could apply the same logic here. Would be quite amusing to see Bernstein holding Suarez in a headlock while Ivanovic bites him.
  • Shikasama 24 Apr 2013 09:54:45 6,272 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    At my junior school the teachers used to settle playground fights with a 'tit-for-tat' mentality. Without any tits.

So for example, if somebody bit somebody and made them cry, they used to hold the biter still and let the person who was bit bite them back. Same with a punch. We did get a little excited once when one kid stamped on another kids head on the playground and made his head bleed, but they seemed to stop short of repeating that one.

Could apply the same logic here. Would be quite amusing to see Bernstein holding Suarez in a headlock while Ivanovic bites him.
    Did you go to a Russian gulag?
  • Page

of 4872 First / Last