The all-new Premier League thread Page 3472

• Page

of 5424 First / Last

• nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 13:49:49 59,534 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Blaketown wrote:
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Yossi Benayoun being abused by his own fans according to SSN, must be anti Jewish, though the report didn't elaborate.
    The booing was initially to do with an interview he gave where he said Torres had been mismanaged by the club.

Though scum being scum it turned into something much more distasteful pretty quickly.
    He also kissed the arsenal badge which wasnt particularly wise when you are actually contracted to a club supported largely by wankers.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• mikeck 23 Apr 2013 13:53:11 1,934 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    He was a force of nature. One of my grans favourite stories is that there was a rave up going on in her street with a load of Derby players there, being loud and obnoxious at all hours of the morning.

My grans neighbour called the Baseball ground, got a night watchman, who in turn called Cloughie direct to tell him.

Within the hour Clough appeared, fully suited, and just stood at the top of the garden of this house. Eventually someone saw him out the window and the music went off immediately, followed by all of the players walking out in total silence. Not a word was said by anyone.

Clough then apologised to my nans neighbour and got in his car. The next day, the houses on the street had a bunch of flowers delivered to them with a signed card from clough saying sorry.

He is one of the few legends ive met who hasnt been completely disappointing. Absolute gent but you could tell he wasnt to be fucked with.
    That is a great story. You wouldn't get that happening today - no chance ground staff would be able to contact the manager to sort something like that out these days.
  • Shikasama 23 Apr 2013 13:53:53 6,761 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    And you'd upset all of their agents.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 13:55:58 59,534 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You would also never catch a load of footballers partying in a three bed semi these days either. There wouldnt be enough room on my nans street for all the range rovers for one thing.

• Humperfunk 23 Apr 2013 13:58:00 2,158 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Poyet vocally defended him after the evra incident too didnt he?
    Yep. I remember it well as we played them just after that and he got more abuse than usual.
    I jokingly said to a mate down the pub during the game "Can't wait to hear Poyet defend him again", without actually thinking he'd stick his beak in again...and then he did.

Poyet seemed like an alright guy before defending the racism, so this has tipped my estimation of him further now to "general cunt"

PSN, XBL & NNID: Wedjwants

• The-Bodybuilder 23 Apr 2013 13:58:45 14,154 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    In regards to SAFs greatness....

I can't say that he's the greatest club manager (IMO, the most successful, but as kalel said, has he left a tangible legacy on the game of football?)

I'll tell you what I do think is certain though; he's the most adaptive manager of all time IMO.
  • Commander-Keen 23 Apr 2013 14:00:33 806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    You would also never catch a load of footballers partying in a three bed semi these days either. There wouldnt be enough room on my nans street for all the range rovers for one thing.
    I think the trade off would be that most footballers *probably* party a lot less these days though. The era of pints and pies with the fans is long gone. Enough of them are even teetotal now.

The boring fuckers.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Apr 2013 14:01:50 6,654 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Brian Clough was the fucking man. Way more charisma than SAF imo.
  • Blaketown 23 Apr 2013 14:06:30 4,645 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    meanwhile this poor bloke is getting quite a following :D
    https://twitter.com/rvp
    I like that this has spawned a #heconsultswhenhewants hashtag.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Blaketown 23 Apr 2013 14:10:11 4,645 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    In regards to SAFs greatness....

I can't say that he's the greatest club manager (IMO, the most successful, but as kalel said, has he left a tangible legacy on the game of football?)

I'll tell you what I do think is certain though; he's the most adaptive manager of all time IMO.
    Exactly this, no one has adapted to changes in the game as effectively. Totally unique.

His legacy though, is Manchester United as the entity they are now. There's a bit of luck that his reign coincided with the money in the game exploding. But I'd guess United are a top 4 team for a long time now and when I was a kid they were far from that.

Brap, brap, old chap.

• Dougs 23 Apr 2013 14:16:54 67,291 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Ryan Shawcross does. His mum drives him there
  • Commander-Keen 23 Apr 2013 14:18:25 806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My tuppence on the SAF/Greatness thing:

Firstly, it would be pretty churlish not to include him in any consideration, just because of the sheer weight of silver-wear he's collected throughout his career. He's had a huge impact on the game and is a living footballing legend who will be harked back to once he's gone in the same way that people are doing above with Clough, and the likes of Bobby Robson.

For me, the double-edged sword with SAF is the fact that he's spent the vast majority of his career with one club only. In many ways, that in itself is a colossal achievement which most of his peers have not managed.

On the other hand, you could argue that to be considered truly great, you have to prove you can do over and again - that it wasn't just a one off or fluke. I know people mentioned Aberdeen, the that really was a different era where a little bit of professionalism could take you a long way - the game has now caught up and is a lot tougher.

At the moment, it's hard to argue against SAF. In time, if someone like Mourinho or Pep manages to match (or come close) to his record, you could see a lot of people backing them for managing it in different leagues, in different cultures and so forth. Basically not "playing it safe" and achieving and delivering at every level and proving that it is / was no fluke.
  • Shikasama 23 Apr 2013 14:21:37 6,761 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I love how people go on about there being no loyalty in football and then denigrate players/managers for staying with one club.
  • The-Bodybuilder 23 Apr 2013 14:23:46 14,154 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    But then some could argue its easy to make a claim as a great, successful manager if you keep going to successful and rich clubs to spend their money to win stuff. He's faced different challanges in different eras, and has overcomed them all.

In regards to a legacy, I meant an actual tangible legacy to all of football (sorry United fans, but we're not gonna hold your club dearly), like a way of playing style that sticks forever. But he has seen each and every new style that has come his way and has adapted to them all.

We say only the strong survive. Well to have survive this long surely pits him as one of the strongest.
  • graysonavich 23 Apr 2013 14:27:52 7,321 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He's ruined more strikers than he's bought for top market price.
  • Commander-Keen 23 Apr 2013 14:29:38 806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    I love how people go on about there being no loyalty in football and then denigrate players/managers for staying with one club.
    Come off it - I was hardly denigrating him! :D

The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    We say only the strong survive. Well to have survive this long surely pits him as one of the strongest.
    No argument from me here on that. He's a living legend for sure.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 14:29:44 59,534 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Although he somehow got a billion goals out of Andy Cole.

Its strange to think Andy Cole would be the first name on the England team sheet now.

• Commander-Keen 23 Apr 2013 14:38:51 806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Berbatov is one that baffled me. He fought tooth and nail to turn the player's head and made him their most expensive signing all time and then what? Didn't fancy him? You'd think scouting could have covered that off, if it was something he saw up close that he was unaware of. And left for nothing too while now banging them in for Fulham.

All very odd. Him and Bebe. WTF was that all about?
  • graysonavich 23 Apr 2013 14:46:35 7,321 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Some players just don't work his 4 striker system. But the conveyor belt doesn't matter when you have infinity billion pounds.

He also doesn't like strikers that can tackle. You'll find yourself in the midfield next Saturday if you can throw yourself about a bit.
  • Shikasama 23 Apr 2013 14:58:32 6,761 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    Come off it - I was hardly denigrating him! :D

Aye but people demand it from players/managers then use it as a stick to beat them with when these types of discussions come up.

Although what people really mean most of the time is 'well he hasn't played in the Premiership so how could he possibley be as good as a player who has, such as Steve Sidwell.'
  • morriss 23 Apr 2013 15:25:53 70,947 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    Some players just don't work his 4 striker system. But the conveyor belt doesn't matter when you have infinity billion pounds.

He'll buy Bale for next season and everyone will again say how amazing they are.
  • Commander-Keen 23 Apr 2013 15:34:34 806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Shikasama I think people value loyalty for sure, but I don't think most fans or commentators are naive about it. People come and go - it's the manner in which they do so which irks I suppose.

On the one hand, if you're happy and settled and feel valued in a good team which are doing well, why would you leave? On the other, if you've contributed to a club and worked hard for them, I think only the most myopic of fans would get upset when a player / manager then turns around and seeks out a fresh challenge.

I actually think that Arsenal fans reactions to the likes of Fabregas and RvP leaving, vs, say, Nasri or Adebayor are quite telling. As far as I can tell, the former category are treated with some level of empathy, if not quite sympathy, while the latter are hated for the manner of their departures.

I digress though. SAF is where he is and Utd are a hell of a club to have stayed at for all that time; it's hardly Alan Curbishley and Charlton. I just think that down the line, if / when Pep or Mou come to be compared, their determination to prove they could do it abroad will probably count in their favour.
  • President_Weasel 23 Apr 2013 15:34:58 9,208 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's "silverware" as in cups and plates and trophies. You don't wear it.
  • Commander-Keen 23 Apr 2013 15:36:07 806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    He'll buy Bale for next season and everyone will again say how amazing they are.
    Excellent trolling.
  • Commander-Keen 23 Apr 2013 15:37:42 806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @President_Weasel That's my auto-correct kicking in there.

The point still stands though :)
  • mikew1985 23 Apr 2013 16:22:56 12,672 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't think anyone is intentionally looking over it but at the time SAF took over United we were a bit of cup team, continually missing out on the title, not quite a modern liverpool but maybe like a current Spurs or something similar.

He came in and really reinvented United as a force, then continued to do so over an unparalleled number of seasons. I really think it's silly to mark him down in any way for being at United pretty much his entire managerial career, I would of course.

Can you imagine if Rodgers(lol) went on to do that with Liverpool or AVB with Spurs? It is an absolutely phenomenal achievement.
  • morriss 23 Apr 2013 16:23:57 70,947 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22259910 - "I bought the best striker in the country and one of the best in the world for money only one other club in Europe could afford and his goals helped me win something."
  • LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 16:25:26 43,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    So if RvP won the league with an average Man Utd side, how come he didn't win it previously with an average Arsenal side?

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 16:29:01 59,534 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Because the man u side is average for a man u side and the arsenal side is average for an arsenal side and all that implies.

• LeoliansBro 23 Apr 2013 16:30:07 43,854 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    That would be something I agree with. But it kind of implies that SAF didn't buy the league, he strengthened his side to the point where it would win.

Which is something every manager tries to do in the transfer window.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Page

of 5424 First / Last