The all-new Premier League thread Page 3471

  • Page

    of 5249 First / Last

  • kalel 23 Apr 2013 11:30:41 86,337 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Oh and Paisley of course gives Fergie a run for the greatest domestic manager. I bet Fergie still has his Euro record in mind before he retires.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 11:31:41 58,784 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think if Clough had turned left instead of right a few times he would be up there. A few really bad decisions cost him and, ultimately, the game left him behind, which is something that doesnt appear to be a problem for fergie.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • spindle9988 23 Apr 2013 11:34:02 3,492 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I hate ferguson but to say he isnt a managerial genius sounds a bit silly to me. You dont dominate english football for the last 2 decades the way he has done by being an 'ok' manager. He is one of the most succesful of all time.
    I still wouldnt sit next to him during a game for all the money in the world if he was chewing that stupid piece of gum though. Grrr

    Edited by spindle9988 at 11:34:52 23-04-2013
  • kalel 23 Apr 2013 11:35:09 86,337 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I think if Clough had turned left instead of right a few times he would be up there. A few really bad decisions cost him and, ultimately, the game left him behind, which is something that doesnt appear to be a problem for fergie.
    Again, it depends how we're choosing to define "great". There's little debate that Fergie is the most successful manager, but spending pretty much your entire career at United is a good head start. What Clough did at Derby and Forest is arguably a more significant achievement (not totally discounting what Fergie did at Aberdeen which was immense).

    But yeah, it's still pretty hard not to come to the conclusion that Fergie isn't the greatest, but it just slightly winds me up how quick people are to come to that conclusion when they know very little about what happened before Sky came along, or what gores on beyond England.
  • spindle9988 23 Apr 2013 11:36:17 3,492 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Clough is still a genius in my book. To take a lowly club like Forest, then win the european cup twice in a row is a feat that will never be repeated. Fergie has never managed to retain that cup
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 11:39:23 58,784 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its a different era. What he did with us was amazing, but he was fairly well backed in an era where there wasnt an enormous disparity between teams.

    Im not belittling his achievements and, yeah, fergie may not have been able to pull that off at Derby and then Forest, but more than at any other time, it was possible back then. Just look what Bobby did at Ipswich and then failed to replicate at newcastle.

    I dunno. Hes certainly the greatest manager of the modern era. Ever? Its pretty apples and oranges, but possibly.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • spindle9988 23 Apr 2013 11:44:06 3,492 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bobby did ok at Newcastle though, especially early on. I agree the game has completely changed since Cloughie was around, I still dont think many (if any) managers could of done what he did though. That story is almost fictional with the level of accomplishment
  • THFourteen 23 Apr 2013 11:45:23 32,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its kind of a shame that Wenger couldnt keep the early standard up because that was a great battle initially.

    I suppose thats what separates the great from the good.
    Wenger changed the whole of football.

    Before him Tony Adams used to eat only pies, now he eats pasta and tuna.
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 11:50:34 58,784 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    He was a force of nature. One of my grans favourite stories is that there was a rave up going on in her street with a load of Derby players there, being loud and obnoxious at all hours of the morning.

    My grans neighbour called the Baseball ground, got a night watchman, who in turn called Cloughie direct to tell him.

    Within the hour Clough appeared, fully suited, and just stood at the top of the garden of this house. Eventually someone saw him out the window and the music went off immediately, followed by all of the players walking out in total silence. Not a word was said by anyone.

    Clough then apologised to my nans neighbour and got in his car. The next day, the houses on the street had a bunch of flowers delivered to them with a signed card from clough saying sorry.

    He is one of the few legends ive met who hasnt been completely disappointing. Absolute gent but you could tell he wasnt to be fucked with.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • spindle9988 23 Apr 2013 11:53:25 3,492 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    He was a force of nature. One of my grans favourite stories is that there was a rave up going on in her street with a load of Derby players there, being loud and obnoxious at all hours of the morning.

    My grans neighbour called the Baseball ground, got a night watchman, who in turn called Cloughie direct to tell him.

    Within the hour Clough appeared, fully suited, and just stood at the top of the garden of this house. Eventually someone saw him out the window and the music went off immediately, followed by all of the players walking out in total silence. Not a word was said by anyone.

    Clough then apologised to my nans neighbour and got in his car. The next day, the houses on the street had a bunch of flowers delivered to them with a signed card from clough saying sorry.

    He is one of the few legends ive met who hasnt been completely disappointing. Absolute gent but you could tell he wasnt to be fucked with.
    That is a great story which has just made me love Cloughie even more. If only the FA pulled their finger out who knows what could of happened
  • THFourteen 23 Apr 2013 11:54:26 32,857 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its kind of a shame that Wenger couldnt keep the early standard up because that was a great battle initially.

    I suppose thats what separates the great from the good.
    Wenger changed the whole of football.

    Before him Tony Adams used to eat only pies, now he eats pasta and tuna.
    Should also add that none of our players used to get injured every five minutes when the used to eat pies.

    Just as an aside of course
  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 11:57:31 58,784 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its a well established fact that being drunk relaxes your muscles and makes you to less likely to get injured in an impact.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • President_Weasel 23 Apr 2013 11:59:00 8,952 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ferguson won the European Cup Winners' Cup with Aberdeen, if you're looking for ridiculous overachievement you won't find many better examples.
  • spindle9988 23 Apr 2013 12:03:13 3,492 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Poyet is kind of defending Suarez after the biting incident. I am a Liverpool fan but not even I would defend that

    Edited by spindle9988 at 12:03:29 23-04-2013
  • beastmaster 23 Apr 2013 12:08:00 11,171 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I think he wants one more Champion's League title before he retires. Thing is, it ain't easy to win and you need a little bit of luck as well sometimes.

    The Resident Evil films. I'm one of the reasons they keep making them.

  • nickthegun 23 Apr 2013 12:10:21 58,784 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Poyet vocally defended him after the evra incident too didnt he?

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • spindle9988 23 Apr 2013 12:13:26 3,492 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Not sure. He's a dick if he did tho
  • Matt36 23 Apr 2013 12:15:06 1,313 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
  • morriss 23 Apr 2013 12:20:17 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/chelsea-launch-anti-semitism-probe-over-1847875 - subhuman scum
  • morriss 23 Apr 2013 12:20:39 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Matt36 wrote:
    Not even close to being in any way amusing.
  • Matt36 23 Apr 2013 12:22:11 1,313 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    To you.
  • morriss 23 Apr 2013 12:24:48 70,911 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Nope. In general. I don't do subjectivity.
  • SuperCoolEskimo 23 Apr 2013 12:36:17 9,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't find it funny either.

    And Fergie has a way to go to catch me up. 4 consecutive CL/PL doubles on CM 01/02.
  • Matt36 23 Apr 2013 12:36:26 1,313 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Wonderful. Thanks for that?

    Gotze is off to Bayer, shame for Dortmund.
  • TheSaint 23 Apr 2013 12:36:54 14,199 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Poyet vocally defended him after the evra incident too didnt he?
    Yep. I remember it well as we played them just after that and he got more abuse than usual.
  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Apr 2013 12:40:15 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yossi Benayoun being abused by his own fans according to SSN, must be anti Jewish, though the report didn't elaborate.
  • President_Weasel 23 Apr 2013 12:47:15 8,952 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    morriss wrote:
    I don't do subjectivity.
    That's just, like, your opinion, man.

    Edited by President_Weasel at 12:47:28 23-04-2013
  • Blaketown 23 Apr 2013 12:50:01 4,636 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    bitch_tits_zero_nine wrote:
    Yossi Benayoun being abused by his own fans according to SSN, must be anti Jewish, though the report didn't elaborate.
    The booing was initially to do with an interview he gave where he said Torres had been mismanaged by the club.

    Though scum being scum it turned into something much more distasteful pretty quickly.

    Brap, brap, old chap.

  • bitch_tits_zero_nine 23 Apr 2013 12:51:04 6,654 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Ah, right.
  • The-Bodybuilder 23 Apr 2013 13:45:21 14,057 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Hollywood would have been them winning the league at Arsenal with him scoring the hat-trick there (which I would have dearly dearly loved).
    Hollywood would have been him scoring in the last minute with a diving header, taking a blow to the head. He would then wake up in hospital and adk 'did we win boss' to which alex would reply 'aye son, and you nearly died out there'.

    Obviously the yanks would need subtitles.
    To make it truly Hollywood (read: Cool Runnings), after the injury, all the arsenal players would put him on a stretcher, put it over their shoulders and take him to the side as the entire stadium built up a slow clap.
  • Page

    of 5249 First / Last

Log in or register to reply