The all-new Premier League thread Page 3459

• Page

of 5264 First / Last

• Commander-Keen 22 Apr 2013 10:42:41 806 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @nickthegun It's feral behaviour, don't get me wrong, but I do think that there's a real lack of consistency about the punishments here. A two-footed tackle could put someone out of the game for a whole season; even ruin someone's career. It's outright dangerous. I take your point about the biting, but it's not like he went all Tyson on him - it was just a stupid thing to do, and he should be punished for it.

I guess if I think about when Defoe did it all those seasons ago, and Big Marty Jol brushed it off as "just a little nibble", I actually found it a bit funny. In some ways it's comparing apples and oranges, to compare Suarez and Defoe, but really, I don't think what he's done is as bad as most of the things I've listed. I don't think he even left a mark on him, so there can't have been much intent. Just stupidity.

Christ, I never thought I'd be anywhere sticking up for Suarez!

Edited by Commander Keen at 10:44:43 22-04-2013
  • kalel 22 Apr 2013 10:43:08 86,427 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The question is whether there should be a degree of accumulation with these offences when it comes to the punishment, and frankly I think there probably should. A one-off 'out of character' incident is different to pattern behaviour. If it was a criminal trial then proof of pattern behaviour through previous convictions could lead to a far more serious punishment, and I don't see how this is any different.

Yes, it's a storm in a teacup or a mountain out of a molehill, but it's happening far too often, and perhaps that's because the punishments are not severe enough.
  • Matt36 22 Apr 2013 10:43:20 1,313 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    There is no defense for Suarez.
  • imamazed 22 Apr 2013 10:44:22 5,524 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I do think biting, in this instance, is worse than a two footed tackle. The two footer may be more likely to cause serious injury but, well, biting is biting.

Its absolutely disgusting. If suarez was keen on whores or whatever, he could have given ivanovic hepatitis. You cant get that from a two footer.
    On a (pretty much) unrelated note, I actually quite like to see the occasional "clean" (but still illegal) two footed challenge. A very satisfying moment for me. Obviously I understand why you can't do it, and fully agree that it is illegal, but I can't deny I get a very visceral pleasure from seeing a meaty two-footer.

Is this a problem? Am I deranged?
  • nickthegun 22 Apr 2013 10:46:04 58,934 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think suarez is the kind of numbskull who would bite someone immediately after a 20 game ban for biting. I dont think any punishment will act as a deterrent for him because he is, frankly, tapped in the head.

Edited by nickthegun at 10:46:47 22-04-2013

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Matt36 22 Apr 2013 10:48:43 1,313 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
  • Commander-Keen 22 Apr 2013 10:50:12 806 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    The question is whether there should be a degree of accumulation with these offences when it comes to the punishment, and frankly I think there probably should. A one-off 'out of character' incident is different to pattern behaviour. If it was a criminal trial then proof of pattern behaviour through previous convictions could lead to a far more serious punishment, and I don't see how this is any different.
    No, I agree with this absolutely - I just think it's a bit much all these people swooning like Victorian virgins left, right and centre, when other offences barely register.

You'd think people had forgotten the likes of Duncan Ferguson, Eric Cantona, Vinnie Jones, et al!

A modicum of perspective is all I'm after...
  • Fab4 22 Apr 2013 10:51:04 5,980 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Matt36 wrote:
    Its like the way PES used to be.
  • nickthegun 22 Apr 2013 10:52:38 58,934 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dont quote videos, bro.

He totally called it

• kalel 22 Apr 2013 10:53:13 86,427 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    No, I agree with this absolutely - I just think it's a bit much all these people swooning like Victorian virgins left, right and centre, when other offences barely register.

You'd think people had forgotten the likes of Duncan Ferguson, Eric Cantona, Vinnie Jones, et al!

A modicum of perspective is all I'm after...
    Ferguson went to jail for an on-field incident, Cantona was banned for a whole season and Jones was banned for six months.

Not sure what your point is.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Apr 2013 10:53:39 14,080 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:

I reckon he'll get one more chance abroad, at Bayern or Barca or wherever, and all of this will happen again (because there's clearly nothing that can be done to stop him doing these things) and that will be his lot, and he'll end up at Spurs.
  • Matt36 22 Apr 2013 10:56:16 1,313 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Can't Ivanovic press charges? It's assault in a work place?
  • faux_carnation 22 Apr 2013 10:59:57 9,091 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Matt36 wrote:
    The police already asked him if he wanted to and he said no.

Boatmurdered FC

• Commander-Keen 22 Apr 2013 11:01:08 806 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @kalel My point is that far worse characters have existed in football, but people still seem to cherish and love them. And far worse offences exist as well - people are getting all whipped up into a frenzy over this, but it's not like he's physically assaulted someone, burgled their house, or tried to actually end their careers.

I realise that the game has moved on since the likes of Roy Keane trying to break someone's legs, but I think there's a danger of hypocrisy here.

That said, it makes no difference to me if he gets banned for one game or one hundred.
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Apr 2013 11:01:15 14,080 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Matt36 wrote:
    He said he doesn't want to.

I don't understand why people are saying a tackle is worse tbh.

There is a difference between someone doing 40mph down a 30 road, and someone who actively glasses someone.

The former is far more dangerous (in regards to mortality), reckless and also clearly breaking the law. But the latter shows clear intent to harm.

To be frank, a studs up tackle is GBH that leads to great harm, and his bite is a failed attempted murder (metaphorically speaking here). Just because someone tried to slice someone's neck with a butter knife doesn't make the attempt and intend any less.

Suarez was just a very sht attempt to hurt someone.

Edited by The-Bodybuilder at 11:03:32 22-04-2013
  • The-Bodybuilder 22 Apr 2013 11:02:10 14,080 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    @kalel My point is that...it's not like he's physically assaulted someone
    ?
  • Deckard1 22 Apr 2013 11:04:01 27,267 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Biting someone really is just the lowest of the low as well. Its just a sub-human thing to do. He's fucking vermin.
  • nickthegun 22 Apr 2013 11:06:50 58,934 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its hard to get your head around why you would choose to do that rather than just, for example, lamp them.

He totally called it

• Matt36 22 Apr 2013 11:07:00 1,313 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    After doing this, you know for a fact he'll score a worldie of a goal v Newcastle on Saturday, just to totally mess with our opinions.
  • nickthegun 22 Apr 2013 11:07:40 58,934 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The-Bodybuilder wrote:
    Commander Keen wrote:
    @kalel My point is that...it's not like he's physically assaulted someone
    ?
    He never drew blood, so its ok.

He totally called it

• Zizoo 22 Apr 2013 11:08:25 8,127 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd rank biting someone during a football match worse than a rough tackle during a football match...

Punching, racist abuse and an intentional handball during a world cup quarterfinal are all up there as well.
  • kalel 22 Apr 2013 11:08:40 86,427 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    @kalel My point is that far worse characters have existed in football, but people still seem to cherish and love them. And far worse offences exist as well - people are getting all whipped up into a frenzy over this, but it's not like he's physically assaulted someone, burgled their house, or tried to actually end their careers.

I realise that the game has moved on since the likes of Roy Keane trying to break someone's legs, but I think there's a danger of hypocrisy here.

That said, it makes no difference to me if he gets banned for one game or one hundred.
    With a lot of these types, the likeable character things is often a bit of a reinvention that comes later. This was certainly the case with Cantona and especially Jones. Jones was a total villain at the time of his playing, way more than Suarez, and there was huge demand of him being banned for life. Same with Cantona. I really don't think there's any hypocrisy there.

The best comparison for hypocrisy would be Defoe, but again, a one-off incident can be better excused as 'out of character', whereas Suarez's character is being defined by a series of cuntish events, making people hate him and wanting appropriate punishment more. Again, how is this hypocritical?
  • faux_carnation 22 Apr 2013 11:08:44 9,091 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's like spitting at someone. Rationally speaking it's really not a big deal, but it just feels wrong. Basically it's just damned unBritish. Not like a good old fashioned headbutt or a knee in the groin.

Boatmurdered FC

• Matt36 22 Apr 2013 11:09:23 1,313 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @ZizouFC He ticks all those boxes :p
  • kalel 22 Apr 2013 11:10:07 86,427 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Rationally speaking it's really not a big deal...
    Really??
  • Matt36 22 Apr 2013 11:11:28 1,313 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Of course its wrong! If I bite you now, its ok? It may be frowned upon, but its not 'normal'? =/

Edited by Matt36 at 11:11:42 22-04-2013

Edited by Matt36 at 11:13:20 22-04-2013
  • faux_carnation 22 Apr 2013 11:12:23 9,091 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    faux_carnation wrote:
    Rationally speaking it's really not a big deal...
    Really??
    Well yeah, as most people apart from you are saying, it's not going to do you any damage in the way that a headbutt or a legbreaking challenge is. I'm not sticking up for him - he should get a long ban, but the hysteria over it is nauseating.

Boatmurdered FC

• mikew1985 22 Apr 2013 11:14:35 12,612 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    faux_carnation wrote:
    It's like spitting at someone. Rationally speaking it's really not a big deal, but it just feels wrong. Basically it's just damned unBritish. Not like a good old fashioned headbutt or a knee in the groin.
    As horrible as spitting is, biting is orders of magnitude above it on the cunt scale.

like others have said, how the fuck is biting his go to action in this scenario, if he was pissed off or annoyed at him, lamp him, who the hell bites someone.

Obviously some people bite as a defense mechanism, it's rarely an offensive tool.

So weird.
  • THFourteen 22 Apr 2013 11:15:36 32,896 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its also where he bit him thats the issue.

If he'd have bitten him on the butt it would have been quite funny
  • roz123 22 Apr 2013 11:16:05 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Comparing it to a rough tackle is like saying Mike Tysons ear bite was OK because Holyfield had punched him first.
  • Page

of 5264 First / Last