• Shikasama 9 Apr 2013 15:03:21 6,287 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    That;s why they can't afford Daimao!
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 15:05:15 84,067 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, similar type of player as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2267000/Gareth-Bale-lookalike-Kenny-McEvoy-helps-Tottenham-defeat-West-Ham.html
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2013 15:08:45 64,982 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Remarkable.

Anyway, posted this in teh group, but there are rumours Arshavin is going to retire. At aged 32.

http://news.arseblog.com/2013/04/reports-hints-at-arshavin-retirement/
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 15:10:42 56,075 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I had him nailed on to go back to the motherland, to be honest but its not hugely surprising.

---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

• Dougs 9 Apr 2013 15:12:33 64,982 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Not after he made disparaging remarks about Russian fans. They didn't want him. Sad state of affairs. Great player on his day, but didn't fancy the hard graft.
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 15:12:47 84,067 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seems quite a recent thing that players play well into their 30s. I remember when 32 was quite a reasonable age to retire.

Anyway, not sure what really went on there. Was he always overrated or did he go bad? Bullet dodged on our part.
  • Dougs 9 Apr 2013 15:18:51 64,982 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I dunno, we never really played him in his best position (off the striker), but then, when we did, he lacked the fitness and desire to track back and help defensively. Gradually as we needed him less, he became more marginalised as we weren't prepared to put up with that. I don't think he's overrated, as he's clearly talented and produced over the first 2 seasons. I dunno, maybe he just CBA with football and was enjoying picking up 95k a week for nada.

Don't know about bullet dodged - pretty much got us 4th the first year with us!
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 15:20:53 84,067 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bit of an overstatement.
  • graysonavich 9 Apr 2013 15:21:41 6,822 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The danger when your entire scouting system seems to be based on the back of shop window international tournaments.
  • evild_edd 9 Apr 2013 15:22:35 2,924 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AA is an enigma, that's for sure. No explanation could fully account for what happened, but the general consensus is of a talent and promise unfulfilled.

@kalel

"Bullet dodged on our part."

I wouldn't say he was a complete disaster on our (AFC) part but, with hindsight, you'd struggle to argue that we overpaid for him. We had an excellent year out of him (2nd half of one season and 1st half of the next), followed by another 6 months of average-when-fit appearances. After that it was flashes of brilliance amidst halfhearted performances. He remained an okay super sub for a while (I'll never forget his winner against Barca in 2011), but fell into the football abyss.

A shame.

Why look, it's a blog:
    http://www.edwardlaven.blogspot.co.uk

• Dougs 9 Apr 2013 15:23:16 64,982 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Bit of an overstatement.
    He certainly gave us an impetus we were missing. Besides, I was only repeating something you've claimed in the past! :)
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 15:27:14 84,067 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I've no doubt if we'd have spend 20m on him, he would have surpassed Bentley as our biggest ever waste of money.
  • morriss 9 Apr 2013 15:28:57 70,771 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Yeah, similar type of player as well.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2267000/Gareth-Bale-lookalike-Kenny-McEvoy-helps-Tottenham-defeat-West-Ham.html
    :0
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Apr 2013 15:34:28 16,283 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I heard that if Benteke nets another goal, he will be the first Villa player in over 30 years to bag 20 in a season.
    I think it's fair to say that our style of play has certainly benefited his totals, if not our league position. What a player he has been, I would say he has had about three poor performances this season and a couple of average ones but otherwise he has been such an important player. How he has remained largely uninjured too I do not know. He gets physically abused in every match. There's going to be some big money thrown at Villa in the summer, assuming we stay up. Even then it'll still be a bidding war I reckon.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Mr_Sleep 9 Apr 2013 15:37:04 16,283 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    The danger when your entire scouting system seems to be based on the back of shop window international tournaments.

Hello!

• kalel 9 Apr 2013 15:38:11 84,067 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    How much do you think you're going to get for him?
  • Mr_Sleep 9 Apr 2013 15:44:57 16,283 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    How much do you think you're going to get for him?
    I reckon he has at least doubled in value so somewhere close to the 20 million mark. I think we're going to hold on to him for another season but then I'm always deluded about these things, I perhaps should have noted that in my previous comment. I honestly think we might make a push to keep hold of players as the wages are under control now.

• nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 15:46:00 56,075 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its hard not to start every sentence with 'well if andy carroll is worth 35m...' now.

He totally called it

• Shikasama 9 Apr 2013 15:47:47 6,287 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    If he is being offered a double your money deal for 40k per week, it'd be no bother for any of the top 6 to give him 60.
  • kalel 9 Apr 2013 15:48:34 84,067 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Thing is Carroll has actually made prices lower again if anything.

How much you get for players and whether they stay is really all about the player themselves, and what clubs are in for them. I can see you getting 20m for him, but I could also see it being less if he's a real dick about the whole thing and there's not a bidding war.

Obviously if you go down, that's a whole different thing as well.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 15:54:50 56,075 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Its going to be an interesting summer. Im really looking forward to see if anyone can be arsed to buy taraabt.

He totally called it

• kalel 9 Apr 2013 15:56:48 84,067 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can see Taraabt going to Galatassary or something like that.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 15:58:48 56,075 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, thats a shout. So who's going to match Sambas 100k?

He totally called it

• roz123 9 Apr 2013 16:02:29 7,107 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Remy will be the one to get after getting 5 goals in 7 premier league games.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 16:03:50 56,075 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, i think it goes without saying that hes going to end up at one of the big boys. I said the other day that he looks tailor made for united.

He totally called it

• Mr_Sleep 9 Apr 2013 16:04:21 16,283 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Thing is Carroll has actually made prices lower again if anything.

How much you get for players and whether they stay is really all about the player themselves, and what clubs are in for them. I can see you getting 20m for him, but I could also see it being less if he's a real dick about the whole thing and there's not a bidding war.

Obviously if you go down, that's a whole different thing as well.
    True, he might be a dick about it all and force through a sale. He's still very young so that is why I think there is the potential for him to stay at least another season. We have a very good training facility and some decent staff and he doesn't have incentive from that side to move to another club.

However, if he is really ambitious and wants to get to the champions league asap then it's entirely possible that he'll end up at one of the top four clubs. I could easily see him going to Arsenal, Spurs, Man City or Chelsea. I just don't see him going to Man Utd though. I am, of course, discounting all the foreign leagues as there may be many suitors.

Indeed, if we go down then I've no idea what would happen. I can't remember many other clubs having such a desirable striker whilst the team has been relegated (although I think we're going to stay up).

• kalel 9 Apr 2013 16:05:54 84,067 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I don't think he looks that good, at least not yet.

More Spurs/Arsenal good than United/City/Chelsea good.

Besides, the other will be looking at the likes of Lewondowski/Cavani/Falcao.

EDIT: Remy that is, although same goes for Benteke tbh.

Edited by kalel at 16:09:13 09-04-2013
  • Shikasama 9 Apr 2013 16:07:36 6,287 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Indeed, if we go down then I've no idea what would happen. I can't remember many other clubs having such a desirable striker whilst the team has been relegated (although I think we're going to stay up).
    Then you sir, do not remember Shola Ameobi.
  • The-Bodybuilder 9 Apr 2013 16:20:40 13,635 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So if anyone's got a sports science background, there's an opening for the Arsenal Academy Sports Scientist job if you're interested.
  • nickthegun 9 Apr 2013 16:24:10 56,075 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I don't think he looks that good, at least not yet.

More Spurs/Arsenal good than United/City/Chelsea good.

Besides, the other will be looking at the likes of Lewondowski/Cavani/Falcao.

EDIT: Remy that is, although same goes for Benteke tbh.
    I dunno. Its not many games to judge, yeah, but he looks quick, strong, skilful and is scoring goals in a poor side.

He totally called it

• Page

of 4943 First / Last