The all-new Premier League thread Page 3406

• Page

of 5331 First / Last

• bitch_tits_zero_nine 8 Apr 2013 22:14:29 6,654 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got offered a ticket to Stoke ManYoo but I'm off the sauce for a few months and am not prepared to endure Stoke sober.
  • Tom_Servo 8 Apr 2013 22:17:21 17,403 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHW6iI6CQAEqugl.jpg:large
  • Dougs 8 Apr 2013 22:18:30 67,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    How the fuck did Rooney not get booked for dissent there?
    When? He's off the pitch almost 10 minutes?
    When he quite clearly told the ref to fuck off and called him a Fucking Prick. I may have been a little slow in posting my disbelief.
  • reddevil93 8 Apr 2013 22:19:04 11,497 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    God Mancini annoys the hell out of me. Smug bellend.

• reddevil93 8 Apr 2013 22:20:00 11,497 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    How the fuck did Rooney not get booked for dissent there?
    When? He's off the pitch almost 10 minutes?
    When he quite clearly told the ref to fuck off and called him a Fucking Prick. I may have been a little slow in posting my disbelief.
    Was that over on the touchline? If so yeah, definitely should've been but no ref will give a second yellow for dissent.

• Tom_Servo 8 Apr 2013 22:20:17 17,403 posts
    Seen 41 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Really? Can't say I've ever thought about him like that.
  • ecureuil 8 Apr 2013 22:23:36 76,652 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Football player swears at ref, more on this incredible breaking news at 11.
  • kentmonkey 8 Apr 2013 22:34:56 20,531 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Utd player didn't get sent off at Old Trafford when he deserved to. More on this breaking news at 11:01.
  • reddevil93 8 Apr 2013 22:39:44 11,497 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Utd player didn't get sent off at Old Trafford when he deserved to. More on this breaking news at 11:01.
    Literally the only other time I can ever remember a player getting a second yellow for dissent was Rooney, playing for United, at Old Trafford, the time he clapped in the ref who Chelsea fans wanted to kills face. Refs are very hesitant to give them out if it means a player will be sent off.

• Dougs 8 Apr 2013 22:43:09 67,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    reddevil93 wrote:
    definitely should've been but no ref will give a second yellow for dissent.
    They should though, which is the point. It's ridiculous how much direct swearing players get away with. It's not just a casual "oh fuck off ref, that's never a foul" but directly to the ref. Quite how we expect kids to behave on the pitch and I have no idea. Dismissing it as "they all do it" doesn't really address the issue.
  • Inertia 8 Apr 2013 22:43:53 677 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    Phil Jones face is just something else. :)
  • reddevil93 8 Apr 2013 22:46:27 11,497 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    reddevil93 wrote:
    definitely should've been but no ref will give a second yellow for dissent.
    They should though, which is the point. It's ridiculous how much direct swearing players get away with. It's not just a casual "oh fuck off ref, that's never a foul" but directly to the ref. Quite how we expect kids to behave on the pitch and I have no idea. Dismissing it as "they all do it" doesn't really address the issue.
    Completely agree, should be cut out but so ingrained in the game these days that I just can't see it changing.

• ecureuil 8 Apr 2013 22:49:32 76,652 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ruNosLNOE
  • IMO 8 Apr 2013 22:52:03 5,624 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is that the one where bleeps were added to make the Arsenal players appear as if they were swearing when they weren't?
  • ecureuil 8 Apr 2013 22:53:33 76,652 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No.
  • kentmonkey 8 Apr 2013 23:02:15 20,531 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yes.
  • ecureuil 8 Apr 2013 23:05:01 76,652 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    So you're suggesting Arsenal players never swore in that game? Right-o.
  • kentmonkey 8 Apr 2013 23:09:40 20,531 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    No. You appear to have reading fail tonight, or once again getting your knickers in a twist over Utd.

Dougs' post wasn't about a player swearing at a ref, it was about not being able to believe he didn't get a second yellow card for it. You decided to take it as a 'he's having a go at Utd, I must defend them' comment. Which it wasn't.

IMO said 'is that the one where bleeps were added to make the Arsenal players appear as if they were swearing when they weren't?'

The answer to that question is yes.

Here

And a direct quote from that article: It was a shame the programme was corrupted. The original show looked at violence towards referees, particularly on local parks. They filmed me officiating the top game of the day as well as a local referee to see how we were both treated.

I saw a preview which was very balanced, but it was then hijacked to become a witch-hunt of Arsenal. Bleeps were put in to give the impression that players were swearing when they hadn't.

They only showed the occasions when there was some sort of dispute between the players and me. They edited out all the good exchanges and gave the impression that Arsenal had behaved appallingly.

They destroyed the opportunity for people to have a really good behind the scenes look at refereeing. A balanced documentary would have given them greater access to referees wearing microphones in the future, which hasn't happened since. And it probably won't for a long time.
  • kentmonkey 8 Apr 2013 23:13:53 20,531 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    For balance, even though it was 1989 and therefore I've absolutely no idea what relevance that has to the game today when it is very different (on many counts), including refereeing rules, and it would have been far easier and far less egg-on-face to have linked to a clip from the weekend's game between us and WBA or another recent game, but Arsenal players did act like absolute thundercunts in that game against Millwall. Not as often as the documentary pretended, but they still did.

They still do.

Almost every team and player does.

Doesn't mean that ref's shouldn't give out second yellows when a player is shouting abuse directly at a referee.
  • ecureuil 8 Apr 2013 23:15:25 76,652 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I just thought the video was interesting and relevant, it wasn't making a statement on Arsenal or anything. Michael Thomas admits in the video that all the Arsenal players were "effing and blinding". The bleeps were just lazy editing on a third-rate TV show and probably not malicious at all. They just wanted to represent players swearing and randomly bleeped over some footage, I don't agree that it was a witch-hunt either.

Also I just responded because it's funny how players swear at the ref, constantly, in every game of every division of every league in every country, yet whenever Rooney is caught on TV frothing with rage at a decision (and admittedly it doesn't look nice), all of a sudden it's the greatest injustice. Funny, funny stuff guys. You'd have been better off playing the "his yellow should have been a red" angle tbh. I thought he was quite lucky.

Edited by ecureuil at 23:16:20 08-04-2013
  • Dougs 8 Apr 2013 23:15:49 67,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    My point might have begun with a Utd player, but it's a wider point that bugs me more generally, specifically the impact on kids. The refs have the powers, grow some balls and the players should take some responsibility for their own actions. Respect, my arse.
  • kentmonkey 8 Apr 2013 23:26:01 20,531 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The bleeps sadly weren't lazy editing, they were added in deliberately to make the show. It was riddled with them, and then the real audio came out and there wasn't even half the amount of swear words that they had pretended to bleep out.

It was still really unpleasant viewing, and I've no idea why they felt the need to make it something more than it was, and unfortunately as Ellery pointed out, it ended up having a negative impact as no refs ever got mic'ed up again. Had it been more transparent and a fairer reflection of the overall game, then it could have helped to mic all ref's up like Rugby has now.

TBH, it's easy to post about Rooney as he's frothing at the referee almost every game something doesn't go Utd's way. He doesn't just swear, he does it with absolute loathing and anger. There's very few players, that I'm aware of, that take it to the same levels he does. A lot of players swear and become abusive, and I'd have absolutely no problems Arsenal players getting sent off for it at all, but there are very few that do it quite so aggressively as Rooney does.

I think there's quite a bit of difference (although still not acceptable) saying to a ref something like 'fucking hell ref. How's that not a foul' and 'Fuck off you fucking prick.'

I don't think player's should get booked for every swearword, but a warning for language could be given, and repeat offenses then booked. But for language directly at the ref, a player or another official then I think they should.
  • ecureuil 8 Apr 2013 23:28:38 76,652 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    My point might have begun with a Utd player, but it's a wider point that bugs me more generally, specifically the impact on kids. The refs have the powers, grow some balls and the players should take some responsibility for their own actions. Respect, my arse.
    I agree with your overall point anyway. You could never complain if a player gets booked for behaving like that. Needs an entire cultural shift and some movement from within the footballing authorities to really push it as an issue though. And they don't appear to care too much.
  • kentmonkey 8 Apr 2013 23:36:11 20,531 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Essentially I think it's time the FA, UEFA and FIFA woke up and realised that fan's behaviour is, in some cases, mirroring the behaviour of their idols.

Some fans are idiots of the highest order. Life has those, no matter what the occasion, but a lot of fans, like humans in real life, mirror the person they are watching.

If you're talking to someone you can mirror their body language unknowingly as it makes both people feel comfortable. Or just because you're looking to be accepted.

If a player is running around the pitch screaming 'buggershitfuckwank' and acting like a prick, it's not that much of a jump to expect that sort of behaviour to be mirrored by fans. Young and old.

I'm not saying stamp out swearing and general cuntery from the pitch and you'll stamp out hooliganism, but I do think it would make the atmosphere at games a bit more pleasant. Not immediately, it'd take a couple of years minimum, but gradually it would.

A friend of mine is just as in love with Darts and Rugby as he is football. I'd say Darts is probably just about his favourite. He goes to watch Darts, he's fine. Drinks, has a laugh, light-hearted banter and gets really excited (the fool, Darts!!!). At Rugby it's even more drink, lots of singing and chanting, shouting at players but nothing foul or abusive, just more encouragement and excitement. Football...I don't go to football with him anymore. He turns into a prick who I don't want to be associated with.

I'd love football games to have more of a rugby game atmosphere. There's no lack of passion or noise at Rugby games, in my experience I'd say they were louder (and in before the 'Arsenal fans are quiet' joke, that's of all teams I've seen live, with the possible exception of Barcelona at the Camp Nou where I watched them play Valencia and I'm sure my ears were about to bleed) and it's a more family friendly atmosphere. It's not devoid of fan problems, but they're uncommon.

Ref's have a role to play in this though. If they dealt with things better, and didn't become mini-dictators and so dismissive of talking to players, almost treating them like kids, then I'm sure some of the behaviour would be less child-like in return.
  • reddevil93 8 Apr 2013 23:42:37 11,497 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep Mike Dean looked like a teacher struggling to control infants today with his demeanour. Pity that so many of England's(I say England's because they get the most exposure, not to single out) best players recently are complete and utter cretins in terms of their behaviour on the pitch.

Terry, Rio, Cole and Rooney are possibly the 4 most well known players in the last few years and their levels of respect towards officials is terrible.

• kentmonkey 8 Apr 2013 23:49:22 20,531 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I doubt, sadly, that Jack is going to break that run either.

(although to be fair to Fat Frank, while he has it in his locker, he's not anywhere near the same levels as those other four, and arguably just as well know)

Edited by kentmonkey at 23:50:32 08-04-2013
  • reddevil93 9 Apr 2013 00:02:48 11,497 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Welbeck, Smalling, Cleverley and Jones seem okay, let's hope they're far more successful that Jack.

:-)

Yeah, Frank seems grand. Bring Beckham back, top role model.

• SuperCoolEskimo 9 Apr 2013 00:57:15 9,756 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    In the case of Utd I am sure it is a deliberate tactic they use. Even their U21's will crowd the ref and shout abuse at him.
  • morriss 9 Apr 2013 06:48:01 70,913 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    glol
  • THFourteen 9 Apr 2013 08:03:59 33,095 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @kentmonkey

It’s that level of hatred and feeling that makes football the glorious game that it is IMO.

The same thing that makes me think “what a fucking cunt” when I see a 5yr old kid walking down the road wearing a Chelsea shirt.

I love it.
  • Page

of 5331 First / Last