The all-new Premier League thread Page 3387

• Page

of 5557 First / Last

• Trowel 2 Apr 2013 13:26:12 17,929 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The BBC's witch hunt of Di Canio is embarrassing, even more so when you consider they used to employ him as a columnist. Is there anyone who really thinks his political views are a public concern? And why weren't they when he was at Swindon?
  • Dougs 2 Apr 2013 13:31:18 68,527 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Speaking of witch hunts, this extract from this interview with David Elleray was interesting:

In February 1989 you famously wore a microphone while refereeing Millwall v Arsenal. The subsequent documentary caused a media frenzy and officials haven't been recorded since. Do you regret taking part in the project?

It was a shame the programme was corrupted. The original show looked at violence towards referees, particularly on local parks. They filmed me officiating the top game of the day as well as a local referee to see how we were both treated.
    I saw a preview which was very balanced, but it was then hijacked to become a witch-hunt of Arsenal. Bleeps were put in to give the impression that players were swearing when they hadn't.

They only showed the occasions when there was some sort of dispute between the players and me. They edited out all the good exchanges and gave the impression that Arsenal had behaved appallingly.

They destroyed the opportunity for people to have a really good behind the scenes look at refereeing. A balanced documentary would have given them greater access to referees wearing microphones in the future, which hasn't happened since. And it probably won't for a long time.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Apr 2013 13:40:51 44,552 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    The BBC's witch hunt of Di Canio is embarrassing, even more so when you consider they used to employ him as a columnist. Is there anyone who really thinks his political views are a public concern? And why weren't they when he was at Swindon?
    It's a story to attract readers and that's all. It got weight because Miliband needed out of his UK commitments and this made a nice excuse to leave whilst scoring political points. So it got more headlines than it should, attracted me-too limelighters and snowballed from there.

LB, you really are a massive geek.

• Shikasama 2 Apr 2013 13:53:06 7,008 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    "In the long term I eventually see Gareth dropping back and playing at left-back where he can be one of the best, if not the best," he said.
    "That may sound a bit strange to some people at the moment, especially after the brilliant way he has played against Inter, and because we are very strong down the left side at the moment, especially with Benoit Assou Ekotto at left-back."

Like I said, we'll disagree. Bale himself has said that when Harry had him in a 'free role' he had little instruction and wasn't always sure what he was supposed to be doing but Villas Boas has changed how he looks at the position. I don't see how you can give Redknapp massive credit for putting him in that position on the pitch and not training him in it properly.

And neutralized is exactly the word I would use because Bale was utter bobbins in that half of the season. If you want to put words in my mouth about Harry deliberately trying to halt his progress that's fine but what I actually said was that Harry had him on the left wing and Bale was one of the best wingers in the league. When he tried to go all 'football manager' on him it didn't work.

Bale is a world class player because Bale is a world class player. Tottenham paid what, 7 million for him after one season at Southampton...because they thought he'd be an excellent player. Fisting so much credit onto Harry for the act of playing an awesome left winger on the left wing is strange to me. You may aswell give the credit to Di Mateo for Juan Mata or David Moyes for Fellaini.
  • Shikasama 2 Apr 2013 13:53:56 7,008 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Welcome to life as a premiership manager Paulo

Thankfully he won't have to experience it for very long
  • Commander-Keen 2 Apr 2013 13:55:31 822 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been trying to stay out of these debates, but. Can't. Resist getting sucked in.

Re: Harry, I more or less agree with the thrust of what @Kalel is saying about him. He's good, and in many ways a strangely underrated manager, but he's also not great or any kind of messiah.

I think the problem with Harry is that it's always about number one with him and he's always been very quick with his own PR, to the extent that a lot of people are now suffering a sort of "Harry fatigue" where whatever he says, it isn't. And he is also *very* quick to change his opinions / sound-bites depending on what suits his public image.

There were several cases in point at Spurs, and I'm sure plenty more at Portsmouth and Southampton. He's also a bit of an old maid and a touch nepotistic, which doesn't really help when things go wrong, as they currently are at QPR. He's good, but he's also higher maintenance then he'd have you believe.

Speaking of high maintenance, Di Canio. For what it's worth, his politics matter, but only because he's made them matter. If his views had been kept private and personal, and only made their way into the public domain because of the Dark Arts of Her Majesty's Press, I'd personally feel it was beyond the pale to be grilling him now.

But that's clearly not the case. He's put them out there himself with his salutes in front a stadium full of people, his biography, and quotes in press interviews.

He's also had plenty of time and opportunity to clarify, renounce, or at least nuance, his views so given the question dodging which occurred this morning, and the fact he's declined to do any of the above, he's getting a well earned battering.

He's big and ugly enough to cope, but the press can't have double standards with Ultras attacking Spurs fans, or racism from the stands in Russia on the one hand, but turn a blind eye to what's going on in our own terraces on the other.

PDC could stop the whole circus immediately if he wanted to with a short, clear statement. If he doesn't, he deserves the kind of monstering the likes of Nick Griffin get.

On a lighter note, at least the training will run on time.
  • THFourteen 2 Apr 2013 13:56:52 33,930 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    Bale is a world class player because Bale is a world class player. Tottenham paid what, 7 million for him after one season at Southampton...because they thought he'd be an excellent player. Fisting so much credit onto Harry for the act of playing an awesome left winger on the left wing is strange to me. You may aswell give the credit to Di Mateo for Juan Mata or David Moyes for Fellaini.
    Or giving credit to Wenger for what he's done with Walcott and Ramsey
  • LeoliansBro 2 Apr 2013 14:08:52 44,552 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Commander Keen wrote:
    :D

• SuperCoolEskimo 2 Apr 2013 14:10:04 9,951 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Arry got lucky with Bale. He was intent on selling him before he had to play him due to injuries to other players, and he came good.
  • spindle9988 2 Apr 2013 14:14:04 3,629 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Harry was not lucky with Bale. If it wasnt for Harry (and im not a massive fan of his) Bale would be playing left back for forest. Whatever people say about Harry, his man management is second to none. He got the best out of Bale and AVB has improved him further
  • kalel 2 Apr 2013 14:16:31 88,511 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    LeoliansBro wrote:
    Commander Keen wrote:
    :D
    I'm so stealing that.
  • kalel 2 Apr 2013 14:56:55 88,511 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shikasama wrote:
    We paid 7m for raw talent, and Bale really was not up to PL standards when we got him. Harry played a part in converting that potential into something real and useful. Is it really "so much credit" just to acknowledge he played some part in his progression? It certainly seems a more reasonable position than completely denying he played any part at all (or even that he hindered him).

It's clearly nothing like Mata btw as he was a well established talent, hence Chelsea paying 20m+ for him (at the age of 23, Bale was 19 when Harry got hold of him). And yeah, I think Moyes does take some credit for Fellaini, although that's a bit different as well.
  • kalel 2 Apr 2013 15:05:38 88,511 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Di Canio unveils his plans for the formation.
  • Tom_Servo 2 Apr 2013 15:09:22 18,018 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Heh.

Why didn't the Di Canio thing all kick off when he got the Swindon job? (It's because no one cared because it was League 2, isn't it?)

Can't say I agree with the guy's politics, but I'm not at all a fan of wanting him sacked for his views.
  • kalel 2 Apr 2013 15:10:53 88,511 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree, especially when it's going to be so much more fun when he gets sacked for kicking Fergie or waving his penis at the crowd or running onto the pitch to score a try and then eat some of the crowd as a celebration.
  • Shikasama 2 Apr 2013 16:07:29 7,008 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://www.football365.com/news/21554/8613371/Barton-v-Thiago-Silva

Unbelievable. It's funny that Silva got the perfect measure of him.

I really can't wait until Barton gets the hell out of football.
  • President_Weasel 2 Apr 2013 16:36:37 9,484 posts
    Seen 50 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    President_Weasel wrote:
    Slightly better than the astoundingly poor Mark Hughes, not good enough to do the job he's been hired, well-paid, and entrusted with a large wad of the owners' cash to do.
    Again, this is unfair. I don't mind having a pop at Harry for things that are fair game, but "slightly better" than Hughes is just clearly untrue.

He's doing a perfectly acceptable job, he really is. Again, had he been there all season they'd be mid-table and nobody would be making comments like this. If he'd have had Hughes's transfer kitty form the summer in fact, they might be doing considerably better than mid-table in fact.
    Hired, and backed with considerable money to hire more mercs like Samba, in order to keep them up.

Not keeping them up, thus not doing the job he was hired to.

Leaving a mark pretty high up the tall building, I give you that - but hired to leap it in a single bound. Almost doesn't count. Prem survival or failure. He spent more in Jan than his relegation rivals spent all year.
  • nickthegun 2 Apr 2013 16:52:24 60,617 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its crazy how apeshit the new prize money has sent all the clubs.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Mr_Sleep 2 Apr 2013 17:04:50 17,215 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not us, our one concrete signing of the January transfer window was a midfielder from the French second division! Turns out he's actually quite good but if ever a club needed a new expensive experienced defender it was Villa!

You are a factory of sadness.

• nickthegun 2 Apr 2013 17:12:41 60,617 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just think. You could have gone for chris samba.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Mr_Sleep 2 Apr 2013 17:16:50 17,215 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hah, good point. What we needed was someone who probably wasn't available or doesn't exist. I think only Franco Baresi would be enough at this point!

You are a factory of sadness.

• morriss 2 Apr 2013 19:09:08 71,188 posts
    Seen 52 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bit fascist to sack someone for their views and beliefs.
  • LeoliansBro 2 Apr 2013 19:10:01 44,552 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ron Atkinson doubtless agrees.

• ElNuevo9 2 Apr 2013 19:29:51 13,493 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Post deleted

Hated, adored, never ignored.

• Dougs 2 Apr 2013 19:44:27 68,527 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Its crazy how apeshit the new prize money has sent all the clubs.
    Except one, of course.
  • The-Bodybuilder 2 Apr 2013 20:48:20 14,309 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Arry got lucky with Bale. He was intent on selling him before he had to play him due to injuries to other players, and he came good.
    Same could be said of both Cole and Flamini of Wenger.
  • RedSparrows 2 Apr 2013 21:57:58 23,425 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/quiz/2013/apr/02/brendan-rodgers-david-brent-quotes-quiz

hehehehe
  • faux-C 2 Apr 2013 22:36:57 9,455 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Have we really reached a point where people think it's appropriate for a man with a tattoo in support of Mussolini to be manager of a top flight football team?
  • FWB 2 Apr 2013 22:43:17 44,858 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It is hypocritical of them to have a go at him after hiring him themselves, but yes, his political views should affect his chances of managing a top team. Football is entertainment, but it is highly influential and provides a model to much of society. As such, having someone with such despicable views to what we in Britain represent in an important position is wrong.

Players should be just as judged.
  • Page

of 5557 First / Last