The all-new Premier League thread Page 3371

• Page

of 5660 First / Last

• Dougs 26 Mar 2013 07:53:36 69,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Probably but I guess when you're out of work, you just want to get back into it.

Halsey dropped from the PL this week after missing that tackle. Seems harsh to me, he admitted he didn't see it as a player was in the way. The lino was the one that "saw a coming together". No idea if he survived though.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 08:53:11
    He might have been in the running for a "bigger" job like Villa or Newcastle or West Ham eventually, but yeah, I don't think Reading is massively underselling himself.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 08:54:07
    Dougs wrote:
    Halsey dropped from the PL this week after missing that tackle. Seems harsh to me, he admitted he didn't see it as a player was in the way. The lino was the one that "saw a coming together". No idea if he survived though.
    Are we sure it isn't just a "total coincidence and just his turn" like that other time when it blatantly wasn't that.
  • Dougs 26 Mar 2013 09:01:41 69,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dunno, that's how the papers are reporting it though. Entirely possible.
  • nickthegun 26 Mar 2013 09:20:00 61,305 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, I didnt think refs got 'dropped' like that.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• nickthegun 26 Mar 2013 09:21:13 61,305 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Or am I thinking of the old 'busted down to the rymans' cliche..?

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• President_Weasel 26 Mar 2013 09:48:41 9,659 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    graysonavich wrote:
    I thought the ref was basically the manager of his 2 linos, so if they fuck up, it works its way up teh chain...
    But he's not in charge of training them, and if it was physically possible for him to constantly supervise their performance then he wouldn't actually need them. The whole point is that they have different viewpoints and sightlines than he does.
  • Dougs 26 Mar 2013 09:53:03 69,500 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's definitely happened before. The trouble is, the top refs are salaried so all they lose is face.
  • TheSaint 26 Mar 2013 13:13:38 14,829 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bit of a slow day so how about F365's list of most over-capped England players:

http://www.football365.com/topical-top-10/8597783/Top-Ten
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 13:18:44
    Shikasama wrote:
    You have to wonder how helpful it is to publicly punish a ref like that. Gives every manager and player a reason to ignore them etc.
    Especially as it is literally impossible for referees not to make "mistakes".

There's so much focus on their errors these days that we've actually forgotten why we have them - because it's better than not having them,. They were never intended to be total and absolute arbiters of justice on the pitch, because that simply can't happen.

We should be grateful for the what they get right (which is frankly the vast majority of decisions) and stop being so myopic about what they get wrong. And keep looking for more ways to help them and make an impossible job slightly easier.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 13:19:53
    TheSaint wrote:
    Bit of a slow day so how about F365's list of most over-capped England players:

http://www.football365.com/topical-top-10/8597783/Top-Ten
    It's a bit retarded. You can only moan about how many caps a player gets if they are keeping a better player out.

In the case of Defoe, I'm rather him than Bobby Zamora or whoever.
  • TheSaint 26 Mar 2013 13:30:37 14,829 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just saw the Reading press conference. Bit depressing to hear all those old clichés rolled out but referring to another team. His first home game is against Saints as well so that'll be an interesting atmosphere.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 13:34:32
    How on earth did Bridge rack up so many appearances? Leighton Baines is a far better option than Bridge ever was and yet the Everton full-back has only managed to reach 14 caps while playing during Cole's twilight years.

This article was written by a moron.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 13:40:32
    If the article was skewed towards "how shit must England be if x players get y caps" then yeah, that would be a point. That's not his point though.
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 13:45:56
    I actually find it amazing how many very close offside calls they do seem to get right. They're very good generally.
  • TheSaint 26 Mar 2013 13:46:09 14,829 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Bridge looked a better prospect than Cole at one point but I seem to remember he was sidelined for a long time with a nasty injury and wasn't the same player when he came back.

Some people seem to really hate him though.
  • Trowel 26 Mar 2013 13:51:42 18,055 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mourinho on Chelsea: "Chelsea is in my heart... One day I have to be back"
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 13:51:59
    I think Bridge showed a slightly loathsome lack of ambition at Chelsea basically. He seemed very content to sit on the bench week after week and collect wages.

Some comedian once describe him as "golf's Wayne Bridge".
  • Deleted user 26 March 2013 13:58:19
    I never begrudge underused players for wanting to leave personally. Krancjar, Pienaar and the like all went with my blessing.

I think in the case of Bridge, when you're that highly rated it's even more frustrating.

And also in the case of Bridge, I think he was literally playing golf on match days.
  • imamazed 26 Mar 2013 14:00:18 5,954 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Shikasama I think Macini actually said once that Bridge had had offers to play elsewhere but had chosen to stay and not play because of his contract. He was even reluctant to go on loan initially. You can't blame him financially; there's no way he'd earn as much anywhere else, but he certainly wasn't "agitating for a move through lack of game time".
  • Page

of 5660 First / Last