The all-new Premier League thread Page 3358

• Page

of 5663 First / Last

• nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 11:20:42 61,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I suppose the ancillary question is: Should Redknapp have been aware that the club couldnt sustain the level of spending he was asking for?

Maybe he should but he was hired to manage the team not the books. It was up to mandaric to say 'no, fuck off'.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Deleted user 21 March 2013 11:21:32
    nickthegun wrote:
    Rednknapp was in charge of the clubs finances? News to me.
    And even if he were (which he obviously was not), you'd blame whoever put him in charge.

You don't give a child your car keys and them blame him when he crashes.
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 11:24:46 3,417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    At the end of the day, Harry wasnt signing the cheques.

Using Crouch as an example, Harry would have gone to Mandaric and said, word for word : "Oi oi saveloy, i'm finkin' about getting the lanky bastard crouch back 'ere, can we afford the mucka???"

Manadaric simply should have said no and lined up cheaper players.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• faux-C 21 Mar 2013 11:28:28 9,643 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's all well and good, but the fact it's happened repeatedly with him at different clubs (Bournemouth, West Ham, Southampton, Portsmouth) does smell fishy to me.
  • TheSaint 21 Mar 2013 11:29:29 14,833 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    IMO it was fairly obvious to even the casual observer that they were spending far beyond their means. If he had the affinity to the club that he likes to make out then he should have had his head a bit more screwed on regarding the overall finances.

Amongst the good signings he also brought some real shit for them that they couldn't shift and cost them a fortune.
  • Dougs 21 Mar 2013 11:30:20 69,535 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Haha, Rio really doesn't help himself:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/21/rio-ferdinand-qatar-england-fitness-hodgson
  • TheSaint 21 Mar 2013 11:30:24 14,833 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    As much as I dislike the guy the only contribution he made to our eventual administration was getting us relegated.
  • Youthist 21 Mar 2013 11:33:09 10,083 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It is all a coincidence and not his fault. And I am the one looking foolish?!

I do love the old "'arry defence" because he did OK at Tottenham from a footballing standpoint (until they woke up and realised they had to get rid of him because they had a crook in charge).

But to continuously make him exempt from responsibility from all the clubs he has put into the toilet is blinkered beyond belief.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Deleted user 21 March 2013 11:33:56
    faux_carnation wrote:
    That's all well and good, but the fact it's happened repeatedly with him at different clubs (Bournemouth, West Ham, Southampton, Portsmouth) does smell fishy to me.
    Hang on, he left both Bournemouth and West Ham in significantly better shape than when he came in. What's happened to them since has nothing to do with him at all.

I notice that nobody seems to be crediting Harry with Spurs's current brilliant financial situation...
  • roz123 21 Mar 2013 11:36:25 7,113 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    "I can get you John Utaku, not for 200,000, not for 150,000, no. For you, this week only, one John Utaku for 80,000 a week and I will throw in this state of the art mobile phone" As the chairman would say "I'm not sure we can afford it, Harry" and reach for the calculator, Redknapp would put his arm around his shoulder pull him away and say "He who dares my son, he who dares"
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 11:38:08
    Youthist wrote:
    It is all a coincidence and not his fault. And I am the one looking foolish?!

I do love the old "'arry defence" because he did OK at Tottenham from a footballing standpoint (until they woke up and realised they had to get rid of him because they had a crook in charge).

But to continuously make him exempt from responsibility from all the clubs he has put into the toilet is blinkered beyond belief.
    There is literally only one club that there is any debate over whether he "put them in the toilet" and that is Portsmouth. Even Saint concedes he had nothing to with what happened at Southampton, and as above, he left Bournemouth and West Ham in better states than when he found them.

At worst he shares the (significantly) smaller portion of responsibility with Mandaric for what happened at Pompey, and that's it. To paint him as a serial club destroyer does indeed make you look foolish.

Edited by kalel at 11:42:25 21-03-2013
  • imamazed 21 Mar 2013 11:38:44 5,964 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @roz123 Apparently it was more like 30k...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8519800.stm

Even so, the transfer fee was high iirc

Edited by imamazed at 11:39:02 21-03-2013
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 11:39:47
    imamazed wrote:
    @roz123 Apparently it was more like 30k...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/p/portsmouth/8519800.stm

Even so, the transfer fee was high iirc
    Come on now, let's not let facts get in the way of a good Harry-bash.

7m fee btw.

Edited by kalel at 11:40:19 21-03-2013
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 11:41:08 3,417 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Haha, Rio really doesn't help himself:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/mar/21/rio-ferdinand-qatar-england-fitness-hodgson
    I'm not sure why this thing with Ferdinand is an issue?

He hasnt played for a few years and he's nowhere near as good as he used to be.

England are better off with Cahill, Lescott, Jagielka, Steven Taylor, Dawson, Caulker and Smalling.

When everyone is fit and well, i would personally put Jagielka and Taylor together, but i'm biased.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Dougs 21 Mar 2013 11:41:45 69,535 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Pretty obvious roz was taking the Michael. This time next year, we'll be billionaires
  • Dougs 21 Mar 2013 11:43:54 69,535 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Except most of those aren't available either! Ferdinand saying he can't possibly fly abroad because of his fitness regime and then jet off to Doha makes him look very foolish indeed.

Agree we shouldn't be looking at him long term etc, but in this instance, needs must.
  • Youthist 21 Mar 2013 11:44:23 10,083 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/west_ham_utd/36294/harry-redknapp-is-english-footballs-wrecking-ball.html

Is a pretty good read. And nothing much has changed since this was written.

"Good chess players think one move ahead. Great chess players think two or three moves ahead."

• Deleted user 21 March 2013 11:49:07
    Can't get that page to load for some reason
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 11:49:35 61,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago

• Youthist 21 Mar 2013 11:50:55 10,083 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I had to try it a couple of times from work, it was timing out at first.

• Deleted user 21 March 2013 11:52:53
    Read a chached version.

A bitter West Ham fan has a rant about how Harry spent poorly after their crooked board sold all his best players from under his nose and gave him a fraction of the funs raised to re-invest.

Can't see what relevance it has really.
  • Youthist 21 Mar 2013 11:55:10 10,083 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You surprise me

• Deleted user 21 March 2013 11:56:19
    And seriously, why does Harry get zero credit for Spurs's financial success?

Is it perhaps because it's completely obvious that it's 100% down to Levy who manages our finances cleverly and responsibly - because he is our chairman and that is his job?

Not that Harry didn't waste money at Spurs. Some of the resources he was allocated were spent very badly indeed, and for that he is responsible, but it didn't ruin us because our chairman isn't a fucking idiot.
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 11:56:48 61,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, read the cached version, it comes across as the writings of a cunt.

He states that he had several great years at west ham and fostered a brilliant squad then made a few shit signings with half of Rios transfer fee.

The rest is hyperbolic nonsense.

• RobTheBuilder 21 Mar 2013 11:56:52 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    If you look at where teams where versus where they ended up, Harry Redknapp is one of the most effective managers in the game.

He can only spend what he is given, and most of the time he gets damn good performances for the money he has. Which gives chairman the confidence to invest more.

He may be partly to blame at Portsmouth, but he isn't the chairman, who should be looking after the cash. He was trying to do a job of making the team work.
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Mar 2013 11:59:02 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 21 March 2013 11:59:28
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @kalel hang on, so it's NOT the chairmans fault when they get fucked, but it IS when they do well?
    You've missed the rhetoric irony in my post.
  • RobTheBuilder 21 Mar 2013 12:01:44 6,521 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @kalel yeah I reread it and deleted it, but you'd already replied!
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 12:04:45 61,348 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also, he says the signings were shit 'to a man' then fails to mention anything about Christian Daily actually being pretty good and well respected among the fans.

Utter twattery.

• Page

of 5663 First / Last