The all-new Premier League thread Page 3357

• Page

of 5468 First / Last

• TheSaint 21 Mar 2013 00:52:13 14,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RobTheBuilder wrote:
    @TheSaint it's not an advantage for the Chanpionship, but a way of allowing promoted teams to invest without the fear of a total income meltdown if they fail.
    I have always felt that it was intended for the established Premier league clubs to adjust to the reduced income in The Championship than an incentive for newly promoted teams to invest in their squads.
  • Dougs 21 Mar 2013 07:01:35 67,691 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah I thought it was to give some breathing space so clubs could offload their top earners without going bust. Otherwise you'd have clubs folding all over the place, such is the difference in income.
  • kalel 21 Mar 2013 08:37:13 87,644 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Agreed. It's so that teams who get relegated aren't suddenly completely fucked. And by a similar token it gives promoted teams a slightly better chance of staying up as they know they can invest in 'Premier League' players without it crippling them if they go down again.
  • Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 08:40:21 6,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Ka-blamo Shadup >.>
  • Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 08:43:17 6,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can accept that parachute payments are to stop clubs being screwed once they get into the Championship (although there are other ways they can protect themselves as well), but I don't see how that translates to the worst clubs from this season getting so much more because of a deal in a league they weren't good enough to stay in!

The solidarity payment route seems much stronger, lord knows a lot of football league clubs need it.
  • ascue 21 Mar 2013 08:52:42 167 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Ka-blamo wrote:
    Shikasama wrote:
    the japanese K-League
    Hehe. I was wondering if the K-League was the second division over there... nah!
  • kalel 21 Mar 2013 08:54:14 87,644 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Some clubs like West Brom have been a bit clever about the whole thing, and been a bit frugal with both their PL money and the parachute payments, so that after a few years of yo-yoi-ing they come out the other side in a much better position.

Sort of shows you don't actually need the parachute payments in the first place if you know what you're doing.
  • Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 09:03:27 6,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    This might be a retarded question, but if you get relegated and promoted again, you don't get parachute payments for the second year do you?
  • kalel 21 Mar 2013 09:08:07 87,644 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hmm, no I would have thought not, but don't actually know.
  • TheSaint 21 Mar 2013 09:08:13 14,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, the payment is divided between all the other teams in The Championship.
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 09:10:34 59,912 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    No, you get PL money.

As a supporter of a side that has both benefitted and suffered from parachute payments, they are without doubt a good thing and very much needed but they need to absolutely go hand in hand with the kind of prudence that West Brom have shown.

They do cover your arse when you go down but they dont make up the entire shortfall and they cant make up for the idiocy of people giving high value players contracts longer than the parachute period.

They do seem to lull clubs into a false sense of security as you can see by the amount of clubs like us who have nearly gone pop when they went down.

---------------------------------------------------------
    someone say something funny

• Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 09:25:57 6,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It worked out VERY well for the private owners of Blackpool..they basically pocketed it all!
  • nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 09:44:19 59,912 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah and fair play to them in a lot of ways. They knew they overachieved massively and could never sustain life in the premiership with that ground, so cut their cloth accordingly.

Our problem the most recent time is that when Billy 'fucking' Davies took us up, he bought some proper shit players. We gave him the flick and Paul Jewell bought a load more shit. We had two teams of wank on high wages and it took us almost to the brink when we went down because it took us ages to get rid of the fuckers.

We had two shit managers who gambled on us staying up, rather than preparing us to go down.

Its nihilistic but theres no way we were going to stay up. We were lucky to get up, we werent playing particularly brilliant football and our squad wasnt particularly great.

• jamievilla 21 Mar 2013 09:45:06 535 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah can see the purpose behind it, I was being a bit reactionary with my comments.

But like Nickthegun says, the number of clubs that don't actually plan for the worst and throw money at players with no clauses (cough, QPR) is quite amazing.
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 09:46:30 3,300 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Steve Harpers NUFC career is over.

Got to pay tribute to the big man - not many players stick around at a club for 20 years, especially when their not playing regularly. He kept Shay Given on his toes for 10 years, fighting him for the shirt week after week. Whenever Shay was missing, Steve would step in a do a great job for us.

After relegation, he stuck with us and was a MAJOR reason for our instant promotion back to the Premiership.

Cheers steve - NUFC legend.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 09:48:51 59,912 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Until they gave McDermott the push, it looked like Reading were doing things the right way; Go down, but build on this year.

If you go down in an organised fashion, its not the end of the world. Its when you go down, screaming with your hair on fire when the problems start.

• Youthist 21 Mar 2013 09:57:49 10,018 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Talking of which, can't wait for QPR to go down.

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 09:58:57 6,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ultrasoundwave wrote:
    Steve Harpers NUFC career is over.

Got to pay tribute to the big man - not many players stick around at a club for 20 years, especially when their not playing regularly. He kept Shay Given on his toes for 10 years, fighting him for the shirt week after week. Whenever Shay was missing, Steve would step in a do a great job for us.

After relegation, he stuck with us and was a MAJOR reason for our instant promotion back to the Premiership.

Cheers steve - NUFC legend.
    Seconded, he was unlucky to be stuck behind one of the greatest keepers in Premiership history (Pavel Srnicek) and if he had done what most footballers do, i.e. complain and move on, I don't doubt he'd have been in the England squad for a lengthy period of time.
  • HarryPalmer 21 Mar 2013 10:01:23 3,319 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I wonder if Harry will stick around to finish the job?
  • TheSaint 21 Mar 2013 10:10:58 14,375 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sat on the bench raking it in for twenty years makes you a legend? Obviously everyone needs a sub keeper but it seems strange that some of these players are happy to spend the majority of their career on the bench.
  • Youthist 21 Mar 2013 10:14:15 10,018 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    HarryPalmer wrote:
    I wonder if Harry will stick around to finish the job?
    Nah he will wash his hands of them once the damage is irreversible. (Portsmouth).

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realise half of them are stupider than that

• nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 10:26:10 59,912 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Harry gets a bad rep for portsmouth. Its not like he was standing with a gun to anyones head saying 'give me 11m for Peter Crouch or the blonde gets it'

• Shikasama 21 Mar 2013 10:28:15 6,832 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TheSaint wrote:
    Sat on the bench raking it in for twenty years makes you a legend? Obviously everyone needs a sub keeper but it seems strange that some of these players are happy to spend the majority of their career on the bench.
    Club Legend is a bit different though innit. No-one is saying he would be talked about in a list of greatest GKs of all time, but he's been a 'club servant' for a long time, albeit handsomely rewarded.

His biggest period of inactivity was when he WAS second to one of the greatest keepers in premiership history though (Shaka Hislop) so it'd be hard to hold that against him.
  • disusedgenius 21 Mar 2013 10:32:41 5,315 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seems like an underwhelming way to go out from a club though. :(
  • Deckard1 21 Mar 2013 10:37:26 27,981 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    They should fire him out of a cannon.
  • kalel 21 Mar 2013 10:40:36 87,644 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Harry gets a bad rep for portsmouth. Its not like he was standing with a gun to anyones head saying 'give me 11m for Peter Crouch or the blonde gets it'
    It's ridiculous. He's a football manager, and in this respect he did a brilliant job at Portsmouth, winning them an FA Cup.

What happend to them financially is not his responsibility.
  • Ultrasoundwave 21 Mar 2013 10:43:05 3,300 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Deckard1 wrote:
    They should fire him out of a cannon.
    ....into the sun.

"The worst part is, I'll have to have the break-up sex with myself!"

• Youthist 21 Mar 2013 11:09:56 10,018 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    It's ridiculous. He's a football manager, and in this respect he did a brilliant job at Portsmouth, winning them an FA Cup.

The entire thing is soley in the hands of Redknapp and Mandaric. Together, they completely ruined the club.

Edited by Youthist at 11:10:53 21-03-2013

• nickthegun 21 Mar 2013 11:14:48 59,912 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rednknapp was in charge of the clubs finances? News to me.

• kalel 21 Mar 2013 11:15:39 87,644 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Youthist wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

The entire thing is soley in the hands of Redknapp and Mandaric. Together, they completely ruined the club.
    That really isn't how it works.

Redknapp is responsible for using the resources made available to him well - i.e. buying good players and not wasting money on crap. In this respect he did extremely well. The likes of Defoe, Crouch, Kaboul, Kanu and such were shrewd and successful buys. He bought cannily and the players he brought in performed well.

Mandaric is responsible for sensible and realistic allocation of resources. This is where Portsmouth were a disaster.

I get that people love to stick the knife into Harry and all power to you, but you make yourself look foolish by blaming him for things that clearly are not his fault.

It is btw a similar situation at QPR, and frankly I think again Harry has done well with what was made available to him. Whether that was responsible resource allocation is again another matter.
  • Page

of 5468 First / Last