The all-new Premier League thread Page 3353

• Page

of 5658 First / Last

• nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 16:54:57 61,272 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lol. The FA have just charged newcastles assistant manager with misconduct for having a go at mcmananamaman. Utter clowns.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• SparkyMarky81 19 Mar 2013 16:55:52 567 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Pfft. So much for the 'Respect' campaign. I'm sure respect is something you earn and in the case of officals, they do themselves no good at all.

I doubt many of the Toon players will have much respect for Halsey or his muppet linesmen after this shambles.

If McMananaman cant be charged, the idiot who saw the incident and decided it wasn't worthy of even a free kick deserves sacking for gross ineptitude.

Typical FA fools.
  • SparkyMarky81 19 Mar 2013 16:56:20 567 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Lol. The FA have just charged newcastles assistant manager with misconduct for having a go at mcmananamaman. Utter clowns.
    You couldn't make it up...
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Mar 2013 17:01:04 17,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I do hope Halsey doesn't get too much of the blame for this incident, from the camera angles it's pretty clear he couldn't see it. It's the lino on that side that is also, presumably, the one who considers it was fine.

I do start to wonder why it is they brought in this legislation. Is one to assume it was to benefit the referee? If so, things like this suggest the very idea of the rule to be pretty questionable.

You are a factory of sadness.

• Deleted user 19 March 2013 17:02:55
    Man you got to feel for newcastle. Been stiched up a treat.
  • Dougs 19 Mar 2013 17:10:41 69,473 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:

Do they not realise how stupid this sounds?
    IF they didn't see the full extent of the challenge, then they didn't see it FFS! Mental. Agree with nick that GLT is just a peripheral issue, and there needs to be transparency and accountability. NUFC must be going nuts
  • ecu 19 Mar 2013 17:12:36 77,307 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    I do start to wonder why it is they brought in this legislation. Is one to assume it was to benefit the referee? If so, things like this suggest the very idea of the rule to be pretty questionable.
    They don't want to re-referee incidents, as they put it. The officials saw this, but if they go back and change the ref's decision, then why shouldn't they go back and change other decisions? It's a slippery slope. I don't agree with it but that's why they take a hard line on it.
  • ecu 19 Mar 2013 17:13:20 77,307 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

IF they didn't see the full extent of the challenge, then they didn't see it FFS! Mental. Agree with nick that GLT is just a peripheral issue, and there needs to be transparency and accountability. NUFC must be going nuts
    Statement.
  • enfilade 19 Mar 2013 17:16:21 221 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Wow. I mean, WOW.

Carver only went up to McManaman to give him an earful, it was actually the Wigan coach who bloody shoved him and kicked everything off!

I've never felt so angry about a couple of footballing decisions. What an absolute mess.

Edited by enfilade at 17:16:39 19-03-2013
  • enfilade 19 Mar 2013 17:19:49 221 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Statement.
    That statement is spot on. I really hope we follow through on this.
  • Mr_Sleep 19 Mar 2013 17:29:32 17,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    They don't want to re-referee incidents, as they put it. The officials saw this, but if they go back and change the ref's decision, then why shouldn't they go back and change other decisions? It's a slippery slope. I don't agree with it but that's why they take a hard line on it.
    It's a funny thing though, there's very little reason not to re-referee incidents that contain dangerous play. The so-called slippery slope can be avoided by simply containing it to serious foul play. They seem to make up rules to suit their own laziness and bureaucracy anyway so changing the rules wouldn't change that.

• Mr_Sleep 19 Mar 2013 17:39:35 17,365 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm adamant that your colleague at work is an idiot. Either that or he's a troll.

• Dougs 19 Mar 2013 17:43:56 69,473 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mr_sleep nails it imo

Edit: in previous post

Edited by Dougs at 17:46:30 19-03-2013
  • oceanmotion 19 Mar 2013 18:07:19 16,121 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    It's a funny thing though, there's very little reason not to re-referee incidents that contain dangerous play. The so-called slippery slope can be avoided by simply containing it to serious foul play. They seem to make up rules to suit their own laziness and bureaucracy anyway so changing the rules wouldn't change that.
    It would probably mean they couldn't go to so many fancy meals, events or have a nice pay check, sack numurous England managers, piss money away on wrong youth direction, money hat world.cups etc. if they had to budget for such measures.
  • disusedgenius 19 Mar 2013 18:09:42 5,609 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Mr_sleep nails it imo

Edit: in previous post
    Both seem fine to me. :)
  • SuperCoolEskimo 19 Mar 2013 18:35:28 10,068 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Halsey should be blamed for not seeing the foul. What kind of thick ref runs in a line that causes his view of the play to be obscured? It's terrible refereeing and winds me up no end when refs can't make big calls because they've run into a position where they won't see incidents.
  • LionheartDJH 19 Mar 2013 18:38:45 19,541 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Didnt Wheelan get his leg smashed in a bad tackle, leading to his retirement? You would have thought he'd take a bit of a firmer stance on it.
    Nope, he actually used it to defend McManaman:

"When I broke my leg in the cup final it was exactly the same type of tackle," he said.

"We both went for the ball. It brought back memories. It ruined my career. I am not going to criticise Norman Deeley.

"These things happen in football. He came over the ball but he didn't do it with the aim of breaking my leg."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21830721

She dives for cheese pasties

• Syrette 19 Mar 2013 18:40:50 44,208 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    LionheartDJH wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Didnt Wheelan get his leg smashed in a bad tackle, leading to his retirement? You would have thought he'd take a bit of a firmer stance on it.
    Nope, he actually used it to defend McManaman:

"When I broke my leg in the cup final it was exactly the same type of tackle," he said.

"We both went for the ball. It brought back memories. It ruined my career. I am not going to criticise Norman Deeley.

"These things happen in football. He came over the ball but he didn't do it with the aim of breaking my leg."
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21830721

Funnily enough, he said this in 2010 to the Lancashire Telegraph.

"Norman Deeley came right over the ball. Today he would have been sent off and banned for a long time. He came six inches over the ball, he came for me not the ball."

• EMULOUS 19 Mar 2013 18:41:41 22 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Halsey should be blamed for not seeing the foul. What kind of thick ref runs in a line that causes his view of the play to be obscured? It's terrible refereeing and winds me up no end when refs can't make big calls because they've run into a position where they won't see incidents.
    Absolutely agree. Halsey didnt see it, but the point is he SHOULD have seen it. And to rub salt into the wounds the lino did see it yet thought it was an acceptable challenge. They both should have the book thrown at them but no doubt will both be back working at the weekend. Disgusting.
  • ecu 19 Mar 2013 18:42:15 77,307 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    I think his positioning was fine, there are 20 other outfield players out there who could potentially obscure his view at any time. Refs will always miss certain things, which is why the laws need to cover issues like this instead of hiding from them.
  • Trowel 19 Mar 2013 18:42:42 18,054 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ecureuil wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    ecureuil wrote:

Statement.
    Great of the FA to tell the press well before they told Newcastle, shows where their priorities lie.
  • ecu 19 Mar 2013 18:46:48 77,307 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    EMULOUS wrote:
    SuperCoolEskimo wrote:
    Absolutely agree. Halsey didnt see it, but the point is he SHOULD have seen it.
    Sorry but no. Not that I like defending referees but he doesn't decide where the players go, if someone runs across his field of vision at the exact moment of the tackle what's he supposed to do? This will always happen. To think that a ref should have a perfect view of every incident at all times shows a lack of understanding of the job of a referee tbh.
  • Syrette 19 Mar 2013 18:52:05 44,208 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    http://writemark.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/is-dave-whelan-right-when-he-accuses.html

Dave Whelan remains angry at what he feels was a bad tackle by Norman Deeley. Forty-five years later, several newspapers quoted him after a reckless challenge by Chelseaís Michael Essien on Liverpoolís Dietmar Hamann during a European Champions League game in December 2005 ďthe worst tackle Iíve seen for a long time. You canít go over the top like that. It was so dangerous. It has no place in football. How Hamann didnít break his leg, Iíll never know.

ďEssienís tackle was like the one that broke my leg in the Cup Final in 1960. Norman Deeley went over the top, but it was different then, there were no TV replays. The referee didnít even give a foul, but it absolutely finished me. It was a nasty tackle.Ē

• teamHAM 19 Mar 2013 18:53:44 3,149 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's utter garbage. Even the comparisons with Nani are garbage. The guy that did all the rolling around on the Nani challenge just got up after about 10 seconds. Haidara could be out until Christmas, or god forbid even longer.

And fair play to the club for going "yeah, we found out on Sky Sports News before the FA even bothered to tell us". Complete shambles.

I mean obviously even if he gets banned it doesn't erase what was a shambolic game for us. With this challenge and the handball both missed we were well and truly stiffed.

Isn't this year supposedly the big celebratory year of the FA? Awesome way to show that 150 years later you are still the righteous and just pillars of the game.

And don't even get me started on the complete drivel that Martinez and Whelan have been coming out with all week. Detestable little club.

Edited by teamHAM at 18:54:37 19-03-2013

XBox Live, Origin, PSN and Steam: teamHAM

• convz 19 Mar 2013 18:55:10 382 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Whilst it was undoubtedly poor refereeing from Hasley, I agree with ecureuil that it's unreasonable to expect a referee to always have a perfect view of every incident - and that's what the assistants are there for.

The far more shocking thing is that the FA haven't taken any action for the tackle... a horrific challenge that it seems everyone unanimously agrees he should get at least a 3 match ban for. I don't like the ruling that 'the referee has already dealt with it' - clearly he hasn't else he would have sent the player off, as proven by him apologising after the game to Pardew!

On a completely unrelated note, I'm just watching a video of Hazard vs West Ham - a few pages back someone asked what is wrong with Chelsea fans that they would cheer a robana that went to the other team, well watch this and you'll see why I and every one around me thought the play warranted applause! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlqY2GJWOwk&hd=1#t=4m58s
  • Trowel 19 Mar 2013 19:02:31 18,054 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    convz wrote:
    On a completely unrelated note, I'm just watching a video of Hazard vs West Ham - a few pages back someone asked what is wrong with Chelsea fans that they would cheer a robana that went to the other team, well watch this and you'll see why I and every one around me thought the play warranted applause! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlqY2GJWOwk&hd=1#t=4m58s
    Not really. Just fucking hit it.
  • nickthegun 19 Mar 2013 19:05:43 61,272 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its why we have 'assistant referees' so if halsey didnt see it they should have.

Which is what happened. Sadly the person who saw it appears to be incompetent.

---------------------------------------------------------
    My man gives real loving that's why I call him Killer
    He's not a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am, he's a thriller

• Dougs 19 Mar 2013 19:09:23 69,473 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    As mentioned though, it's the complete lack of accountability. It's fair enough that he missed it, but one of them saw it and deemed it OK, so what happens to them, when it was blatantly wrong?

Edit: Nick beat me to it

Edited by Dougs at 19:09:45 19-03-2013
  • Page

of 5658 First / Last