The all-new Premier League thread Page 3335

  • Page

    of 5245 First / Last

  • Dougs 13 Mar 2013 15:47:09 66,585 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Well, since Cazorla, Walcott, Szczesny and Mertesacker are still in England, you dont really need to.
    Technically, only Chesney has been left behind. It's possible that all this talk of a weakened team is nonsense, but they are at least on the bench. To come on when 3-0 down.
  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 15:55:03 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lloris has really made me realise just how limited Friedel is. I loved Brad before, but when he came in for the Inter game it was like watching my dad playing in goal against my nephews.

    Lloris is totally awesome and only took a while to "overthrow" Friedel because AVB was being diplomatic about phasing Brad out. I've been completely converted.
  • kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 16:00:28 20,410 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    Lloris has really made me realise just how limited Friedel is. I loved Brad before, but when he came in for the Inter game it was like watching my dad playing in goal against my nephews.

    Lloris is totally awesome and only took a while to "overthrow" Friedel because AVB was being diplomatic about phasing Brad out. I've been completely converted.
    Friedel is now, a bit, but he's still a great all-round keeper. He's been under-rated for years and would still walk in to a lot of sides in the league. Probably only for this season, he's already on the decline, but he's still good enough. Lloris is better, but Friedel is still arguably in the Top 10 keepers in the PL for me.

    I think AVB was right to make Lloris wait. Friedel had been in very good form and had been a reliable member of the team. To shove him out just because you've bought a younger model, who hadn't proven himself in the PL, would have been harsh. He earnt that right to keep his place I think, until Lloris' performances showed that he could take over from Friedel.

    I think Friedel struggled mostly in that Inter game because of lack of match time. When you're younger it's easier to pick up. When you're older it takes longer to get into the rhythm and you need longer to adjust, especially to the physical side of things. That's true for almost anything in life.
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2013 16:02:57 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I cant believe Friedel is a bankrupt. With a career as long as his, you would think he could afford to piss away a few hundred K on a pipe dream football academy.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 16:05:54 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Friedel plays to his strengths, and is experienced enough to avoid his weaknesses, but he is very much on the decline now. He probably is in the top ten keepers in the league, but that says more about the general quality of the league. Lloris is a totally different class to him. That said, we've just given him another new contract for a year, so we certainly feel he has a job to do for us yet.

    And yeah, I think AVB went about things the right way, despite a ridiculous amount of media focus at the time.

    I'm not really playing down Fridel's contribution, but I think you're not quite recognised how good Lloris has been. Shiks had it spot on when he called him a defender as much as a keeper. It's very true.
  • THFourteen 13 Mar 2013 16:07:57 32,853 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sczesney is still better than all those keepers.
  • Tom_Servo 13 Mar 2013 16:08:54 17,237 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's ridiculous how quick Lloris is off his line. I think he has a catapult in his net.

    I was thinking Lloris may well have stopped Alba scoring Barca's fourth last night. Abbiati was well slow and it was hardly a great touch from Alba.
  • imamazed 13 Mar 2013 16:09:16 5,520 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    Lloris has really made me realise just how limited Friedel is. I loved Brad before, but when he came in for the Inter game it was like watching my dad playing in goal against my nephews.

    Lloris is totally awesome and only took a while to "overthrow" Friedel because AVB was being diplomatic about phasing Brad out. I've been completely converted.
    Friedel is now, a bit, but he's still a great all-round keeper. He's been under-rated for years and would still walk in to a lot of sides in the league. Probably only for this season, he's already on the decline, but he's still good enough. Lloris is better, but Friedel is still arguably in the Top 10 keepers in the PL for me.

    I think AVB was right to make Lloris wait. Friedel had been in very good form and had been a reliable member of the team. To shove him out just because you've bought a younger model, who hadn't proven himself in the PL, would have been harsh. He earnt that right to keep his place I think, until Lloris' performances showed that he could take over from Friedel.

    Yeh I don't think he ever lost that right though. They were both performing well (albeit Loris mainly in cups). I'm not saying the right decision hasn't been made in the end but for me AVB switched due to outside pressure. Friedel didn't lose his place really; nothing had changed by the time he did make the switch.
  • Deckard1 13 Mar 2013 16:10:07 27,042 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Poor mans Steve Harper
  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 16:10:28 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If anything AVB completely ignored outside pressure.
  • imamazed 13 Mar 2013 16:13:46 5,520 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    If anything AVB completely ignored outside pressure.
    Fair enough, I don't think I knew enough about it at the time, but for footballing reasons anyway, the mid-season switch made little sense to me. That led me to believe it was outside pressure, but I don't know what it was for tbh.
  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 16:15:57 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    imamazed wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    If anything AVB completely ignored outside pressure.
    Fair enough, I don't think I knew enough about it at the time, but for footballing reasons anyway, the mid-season switch made little sense to me. That led me to believe it was outside pressure, but I don't know what it was for tbh.
    The plan was always to transition from one to the other, otherwise why sign Lloris?

    Since Lloris has come in it's become obvious why we signed him. He is far more suited to the way we play with the high line - the amount of times Lloris has to come out and clear up balls that have come over the top is somewhat alarming. It works though.
  • Tom_Servo 13 Mar 2013 16:17:52 17,237 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Well, Friedel seems like a good guy, loads of PL experience, etc. so dumping him straight away would be very harsh on him. The phasing also gave Lloris some time to adjust a little bit before being given a first-team PL start.

    A sensible way of going about it really, and it seems like everyone got a fair deal (not that you would've known at the time with all the headlines about Lloris being unhappy with AVB after being at Spurs for two weeks).
  • imamazed 13 Mar 2013 16:20:31 5,520 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    imamazed wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    If anything AVB completely ignored outside pressure.
    Fair enough, I don't think I knew enough about it at the time, but for footballing reasons anyway, the mid-season switch made little sense to me. That led me to believe it was outside pressure, but I don't know what it was for tbh.
    The plan was always to transition from one to the other, otherwise why sign Lloris?

    Since Lloris has come in it's become obvious why we signed him. He is far more suited to the way we play with the high line - the amount of times Lloris has to come out and clear up balls that have come over the top is somewhat alarming. It works though.
    Yeh fair play, I'm not denying that second bit, as I said earlier I'm not saying the decision itself was right or wrong, just the timing of it. But in terms of the transition, it was less than half a season in and so not much of a transition at all. Pressure built. But, whatever, that's my two pennies, let's just agree to disagree.
  • kentmonkey 13 Mar 2013 16:34:56 20,410 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm not really playing down Fridel's contribution, but I think you're not quite recognised how good Lloris has been. Shiks had it spot on when he called him a defender as much as a keeper. It's very true.
    I don't think I am, really. I'd put him above Friedel and I've already stated that IMO Friedel would be in the Top 10. I just think that, for gk of the season, Mignolet, Guzan, Jaski and Begovic have saved more points for their team than any other in the league.

    It was more a compliment of the Spurs defence than a playing down of Lloris' contribution. He's an extremely good goalkeeper, but as he didn't play the whole season (without being injured) and, all things considered, the contribution the others have made to their teams ability to gain points I just think the others deserve it slightly more.

    I think Lloris is better than Jaski and Guzan, but in terms of the season I think they've had better ones (along with the other two, who I would put on a par with Lloris) mainly because they've had to due to the absolutely awful defences they've had in front of them at times.

    FWIW, I'd put Lloris top five in the PL.
  • kalel 13 Mar 2013 16:35:42 86,240 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Fair enough.
  • roz123 13 Mar 2013 17:06:00 7,112 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Times are standing by that Qatar story despite it being very similar to a joke article made on a french site a few days earlier.
  • Mr_Sleep 13 Mar 2013 17:26:59 16,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tom_Servo wrote:
    I was thinking Lloris may well have stopped Alba scoring Barca's fourth last night. Abbiati was well slow and it was hardly a great touch from Alba.
    To be fair to Abbiati, he pretty much kept them in it in the first half with two exceptional saves.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Mr_Sleep 13 Mar 2013 17:35:11 16,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In regards of Guzan, he has been excellent all season, he has made only a couple of mistakes in the last 10 games or so, he also commands his area very well which is not something that seems de rigeur with many keepers these days.

    So yeah, having watched him a lot this season he has been one of the best.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • SuperCoolEskimo 13 Mar 2013 19:01:13 9,699 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So, Arsene has indeed picked the strongest team available.

    Trolled by the Daily Mail. EG has hit a new low. :D
  • Dougs 13 Mar 2013 19:10:11 66,585 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    All papers were carrying the story, can only assume that press office briefed them in an attempt to play some daft mind games.
  • nickthegun 13 Mar 2013 19:18:08 58,782 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Its so weird.

    ---------------------------------------------------------
    He totally called it

  • Syrette 13 Mar 2013 21:00:16 43,055 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    kalel wrote:
    I'm just not sure why every single discussion on here always has to end up being about United?
    It doesn't, in fact we should rename this thread 'The Spurs and Man Utd with a hint of Arsenal thread".

    WHERE THE WIGAN FANS AT

  • Mr_Sleep 13 Mar 2013 21:09:26 16,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There is a fair amount of Newcastle chat in here. It's pretty reasonable in what is spoken about imo.

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • Syrette 13 Mar 2013 21:11:29 43,055 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree. I don't have a problem with the focus being on a couple of clubs (very much including Man Utd), just happens to be the case that more people in this thread support those clubs and they're more newsworthy clubs to start with.

    Edited by Syrette at 21:29:05 13-03-2013

  • Mr_Sleep 13 Mar 2013 21:14:11 16,838 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Exactly, I'm not sure it can be much different. Better than reading fan forums, at least most people here aren't mental cases!

    You are a factory of sadness.

  • WiseFool 13 Mar 2013 21:26:29 874 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    When Spurs have a big game, or something 'happens' to one of their players it's all spurs talk here.. same for Arsenal and ManUtd etc. It's only the 'smaller clubs' (no harm intended) that get less talked about here.
  • President_Weasel 13 Mar 2013 21:33:06 8,922 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    kalel wrote:
    I'm just not sure why every single discussion on here always has to end up being about United?
    It doesn't, in fact we should rename this thread 'The Spurs and Man Utd with a hint of Arsenal thread".

    WHERE THE WIGAN FANS AT
    they're at the Rugby.
  • morriss 13 Mar 2013 21:45:57 70,911 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lloris isn't in the top 5 in the Prem, he's in the top 1.
  • Deleted user 13 March 2013 21:50:23
    WiseFool wrote:
    When Spurs have a big game, or something 'happens' to one of their players it's all spurs talk here.. same for Arsenal and ManUtd etc. It's only the 'smaller clubs' (no harm intended) that get less talked about here.
    And to think you're wise and been here 7 years :)
  • Page

    of 5245 First / Last

Log in or register to reply