Weaning

• Page

of 1

Previous Next
  • Dougs 19 Nov 2010 15:12:13 72,230 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    OK Dads, bit of advice needed (prompted by the "why do you never do any research" rant). We are currently in the process of weaning Max (he's been on solids for 3-4 weeks - 6 months old) and don't really know whether we are giving him enough, or by how much to start reducing milk intake by (if at all). At the same time, we are trying to work out a routine so that he knows when breakfast, lunch and dinner is once solids are properly established.

Currently his feeds are like this:

7.30am - breast and bottle- usually 10 mins breast, 180ml formula
    8.30am - breakfast - 3-4 heaped teaspoons of porridge made up.
    11.30am - bottle - 180ml
    12.30pm - Lunch - 4-6 heaped teaspoons of pureed veg, plus a few teaspoons of fruit
    3-3.30pm - Bottle 180ml
    4.30 - Dinner - 4-6 heaped teaspoons of fruit
    7pm - breast and bottle - 210ml before bed.
    11pm - 150ml (we're reducing this to see whether he'll sleep through).

Now, we were giving him solids and milk at the same sitting but he'd usually barf some up, so we thought we'd try to space it out. With the above, he generally doesn't seem as happy with it though. He's sleeping fine, and will always take more solids - should we oblige, or only increase it gradually?

The amount of formula given is mainly because he was on 210ml, but consistently left loads.

Any advice gratefull appreciated! All the books go round in circles and contradict each other half the time!
  • Nasty 19 Nov 2010 16:58:07 4,759 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    For dinner you may want to switch to a more starchy solid which will have a better chance of sustaining then through the night to get rid of the midnight top-up. Apart from that, you're timings pretty much marry up with what we do.

Next step is probably avoiding anything other than a snacky type food (rusk etc) and some water/baby juice stuff between meals rather than a bottle.

Ours is probably more like.

7-8am baby porridge (made with formula) > rest of formula > bit of boob
    10-11am some kind of nibble with water/baby juice
    12-1pm lunch > bottle > bit of boob
    1-3pm nap
    3-4pm some kind of nibble with water/baby juice
    5-6pm dinner
    7-7:30pm bath, bottle, boob, bed.

To be honest though, they are really adaptive and you shouldn't get too stressed about it. For each of mine the 'official' advice has been completely different each time and most of the time it just doesn't make sense to anyone who's been there before. This time around aparently we have to breast feed exclusively until 9 months old to be sure the baby gets the best start in life. Mmm Hmm, I can see that happening.
  • Dougs 19 Nov 2010 22:45:30 72,230 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Cheers - I think you're right that we're over-thinking it and should be led by him. I think he's ready to take more, but because he was 7 weeks prem, the wife is a bit more cautious. Seems to be really hungry in the middle of the day, so we are now bringing in 2 courses (!) at lunch and dinner - the fruit for dinner was really just while he started. It's more how much to give him, and how much to reduce milk by. I think he's a glutton and would just take and take!

We've started him on water, which he doesn't mind but doesn't take a lot. He can't work out the various next stage bottle/cup things so at the mo he's on a tipper/sipper which normally goes everywhere but he does get some!
  • otto Moderator 19 Nov 2010 22:59:01 49,323 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Timetable + measurements = overthinking ;)

First baby = micromanagement of all fluid/solid intake and perpetual worrying over what you should be doing

Second baby = give them what they want when they want it!

That's intended as constructive & supportive, hope it comes across that way. :)
  • Dougs 19 Nov 2010 23:10:45 72,230 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    :) of course, and taken as such. You know what it's like though. Especially new mums. I'm a bit more eager and happy to let him decide (I thought he was ready for solids weeks before but gig shouted down) but the wife wants to get it right. He'll scream if hungry imo....
  • Flying_Pig 20 Nov 2010 10:18:47 12,786 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs - you seem to have it about right. What we do for W (just a year old):

7am - Bottle (now full-fat cows milk, but previously formula)
    8:30am - 1 1/2 weetabix or ready-brek with cows milk
    12:00/12:30 - lunch: always a savoury and pudding
    2pm/3pm - bottle and snack (fruit or biscuit or toast etc etc etc)
    5:30pm dinner - very similar to lunch
    7:30pm bath, bottle and bed

The routine's been pretty similar since we started weaning, although he was having a mid-morning bottle.

From our perspective, we always took the view that W would eat as much as he wants/needs, so even if he ate nothing we knew it wasn't a problem - at that age their needs can still be met from milk - the food is a bonus. It takes time, but now W loves his food (especially breakfast) as much as he does his bottles.
  • nickthegun 20 Nov 2010 10:31:39 63,940 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We started CHILD R off at six months. We first introduced baby rice for breakfast and then pureed carrots for lunch.

I dont think it was hugely regimented, just kind of moved along with how hungry she seemed. When the bottle wasnt doing it anymore we put in an extra meal and/or bulked up the rest.

That plus finger food snacks like rice cakes that she could gnaw on.
  • Nasty 20 Nov 2010 13:58:06 4,759 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The fact that you are thinking about this sort of thing anyway means your child is receiving a million times more thought and attention than a vast portion of other kids. Relax and go with it.

And give them a bit of Lemon for the lulz.
  • Dougs 26 Nov 2010 10:47:01 72,230 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ah yeah, we're looking forward to lemon! It's mainly making sure he's getting enough through the day so when we knock out the 11pm feed, he has enough to see him through. Will be dropping that to 90ml/3fl oz tonight. One more reduction to 60ml and then see if he'll sleep through.

Was awake at 5.30am this morning. Not hungry, just done sleeping. Joy
  • sport 26 Nov 2010 12:12:06 13,048 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dougs :-D
  • Dougs 27 Nov 2010 19:10:35 72,230 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fuck aye. I am a civil servant you know, these details are important!
  • mattigan 27 Nov 2010 21:07:09 1,428 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Seriously.... What otto said.

Although this is practically impossible with the first....
  • mattigan 27 Nov 2010 21:11:35 1,428 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dougs, seems you are having the eternal dilema, you and the wife trying so hard to get it right, nay perfect, for your progeny. While yet to realise that you would have to try pretty damn hard to get it wrong. There is no perfect, it will all work out just dandy.
  • Tonka 13 Sep 2011 13:21:37 22,851 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    OK Dads, bit of advice needed (prompted by the "why do you never do any research" rant).

This is what I love about the internet. I realise that I'm not alone in my struggles. I get that fucking rant time and time again.

Anyhows, it's time to get Kid A off the "whatever you Brits call a pacifier". His primary reason for waking up at night 8and thus waking the entire house) is that he has misplaced his pacifier. My plan is to get him off it so that I can finally get more than 4hrs consecutive sleep for the first time in 14.5 months.

Any tips?

He's quite young yet (14.5months) so he can't be reasoned with or bribed. But I still reckon (and my workmates have confirmed) that doing it before they get a firm grasp of the universe might make things easier.

Is there already a thread about this?
  • Nasty 14 Sep 2011 00:21:59 4,759 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Cold turkey. Probably a week or so of grumpiness at bed time but do your best to try and ignore the complaints. Within 2-3 weeks he/she should be through the night.
  • Goban 16 Sep 2011 09:19:56 9,167 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I think cold turkey is the only option, probably going to try this approach fairly soon( 10 months old). In saying that the wee fella is pretty good at locating his dummy in the cot and re-plugging himself, we usually leave an extra one in to give him a better chance.
  • mothercruncher 22 Sep 2011 21:53:23 9,551 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    We're weaning (Ada, 6 months) at the mo'. Just done the first week. SO bizarre putting solid food into her mouth.

We're following a Gina Ford plan for weaning. Now, horses for courses and all that but it's the only Gina Ford advice that's coming near my little one. The rest of her stuff, particularly the "cry it out" business can take a jump.

That said, the weaning plan is easy to follow and gives just enough structure, what with rough times and gradually building up the different blend of foodstuffs her stomach has to face.

Might be worth googling it, or sneaking a look in Waterstones.
  • Page

of 1

Previous Next