Your Most Loved GameCube game EVER!!? Page 18

• Page

of 21 First / Last

• Ignatius_Cheese Moderator 28 Aug 2011 23:24:51 10,853 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Hehe possibly right there. Although Giftpia seemed the most "Western friendly" out of the three.
  • chasejamie 28 Aug 2011 23:35:33 814 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ignatius_Cheese wrote:
    Can we leave listing Wii games and how it actually is a good console (which I believe it is to some extent) to an actual Wii thread?

Back on topic: Geist is a very underrated gem.
    Bought a EU version of Geist for a quid in cash converters last year, but haven't got round to playing it. Will start it soon. Also managed to buy Animal Crossing from Gamestation for 2.99 the other day, so away to find out how my town has got on after my 5 year hiatus.
  • Bremenacht 28 Aug 2011 23:36:44 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    coda wrote:
    Ok, I've been considering buying a GC again recently, these are the games I miss playing -

Super Mario Sunshine
    Pool Paradise (Best pool game ever released.)
    P.N.03
    Chibbi-robo
    Doshin the Giant
    Billy Hatcher
    Killer7
    Battalion Wars
    Animal Crossing
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    That's an odd GC list. Not saying you're wrong, but it's the most unlikely GC list I've seen. A lot of interesting games on there, but almost all the regular 'classic' GC games are missing.
  • coda 28 Aug 2011 23:38:23 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bremenacht wrote:
    coda wrote:
    Ok, I've been considering buying a GC again recently, these are the games I miss playing -

Super Mario Sunshine
    Pool Paradise (Best pool game ever released.)
    P.N.03
    Chibbi-robo
    Doshin the Giant
    Billy Hatcher
    Killer7
    Battalion Wars
    Animal Crossing
    Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
    That's an odd GC list. Not saying you're wrong, but it's the most unlikely GC list I've seen. A lot of interesting games on there, but almost all the regular 'classic' GC games are missing.

What are the 'classic' GC games?
  • Jazzy_Geoff 28 Aug 2011 23:50:19 7,767 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    fucking eternal darkness
  • SG 28 Aug 2011 23:53:54 1,892 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Cubivore was only published in the States, even though it was a Nintendo game (made originally for the N64).

Shame too, as it was quite good.

Sunshine was seriously underrated, the only criticism that can stick is the lack of proper boss fights.

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• Kay 28 Aug 2011 23:58:32 17,798 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sunshine was not "seriously underrated". It was rated very highly upon release, but seems to have gained a reputation over the years that it wasn't very a good game - which is bollocks, of course. It's a great game that was just short of being a true classic due to a few flaws. Nevertheless it remains one of my favourite GC games.
  • coda 29 Aug 2011 00:02:26 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SG wrote:
    Cubivore was only published in the States, even though it was a Nintendo game (made originally for the N64).

Shame too, as it was quite good.

Sunshine was seriously underrated, the only criticism that can stick is the lack of proper boss fights.

What's Curbivore about? I've got one of those import boot disk things, so if I ever get a cube again, I can play the US version.
  • RobTheBuilder 29 Aug 2011 00:07:11 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pool paradise is ace, but it always used to crash on my GC so I stopped playing it.
  • SG 29 Aug 2011 00:08:10 1,892 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cubivore

Add me on Nintendo network! I'm 'Sy' or 'Sy_the_Brit_1982' (I've got US systems, hence 'the_Brit').

• coda 29 Aug 2011 00:10:32 1,868 posts
    Seen 3 years ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    SG wrote:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Cubivore

You think I hadn't thought of doing that already? I had a look at some images of the game, but couldn't figure out what was going on in them, so I just need someone to quickly explain the game.
  • SG 29 Aug 2011 00:17:38 1,892 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You'd be surprised how many people don't. Wikipedia would have done the job I would have thought.

Anyway, you assimilate other cubivores and take on the traits of what you eat, and aw shit I can't explain it. Wikipedia says:

Cubivore's gameplay is an action-adventure game with a few RPG elements in it. The purpose of Cubivore is to kill the Killer Cubivore and its cronies. To accomplish this your Cubivore must go through several mutations, through several lifetimes "laps" and generations of "offspring". Upon attaining 100 mutations, your Cubivore can become powerful enough to produce an offspring capable of fighting the Killer Cubivore. Thus, Cubivore is a game that is meant to somewhat represent natural selection.

Combat is simple, but strategic and often fast-paced. When facing another Cubivore, your job is to attack it, weaken it, and finally kill it by tearing off its limbs. Cubivores are able to attack, jump, run, evade (i.e. walk backwards), and block. Much of the combat consists of trying to learn the enemy's attack patterns and hitting a weak point. Once the enemy has been subdued, it becomes a battle of wills when your Cubivore clamps down the opponent and attempts to tear off its limbs. Upon eating a limb your Cubivore heals itself a bit, absorbs the color of that limb, and mutates if possible. Finally some boss monsters have a special limb called "Raw Meat", which grants special abilities when consumed.

• mal 29 Aug 2011 00:21:14 22,414 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sunshine certainly suffers from being Son-of-Mario64. I still put more hours into it than many Gamecube games, but really it's barely better than Mario 64 and arguably has a worse difficulty curve than its father.

F-Zero GX was probably my favourite GC game at the time, but the shine still came off it slightly when I discovered how similar it played to F-Zero X on the N64. It does help that it's probably the prettiest game on the console, and still a fine looking game when upscaled.

Cubby didn't know how to turn off sigs!

• SG 29 Aug 2011 00:22:35 1,892 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Being half the game Mario 64 was would still make it brilliant.

• RobTheBuilder 29 Aug 2011 00:26:56 6,521 posts
    Seen 9 months ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    F Zero X was very good, but GX took it and made it beautiful and exciting.
    If ever a game made xbox owners realise how good the GC was, it was FZero GX.
  • Bremenacht 29 Aug 2011 00:28:05 17,687 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    coda wrote:
    MK:DS
    Luigi's Mansion
    Both Pikmins
    Eternal Darkness
    Timesplitters 2
    F-Zero GX
    Wind Waker
    Mario Sunshine
    Viewtiful Joe
    Rogue Squadron
    The Metroids
    Wave Race

I think that's the core. Most people's lists would be 90% from that lot. Again - I'm not saying you're wrong, just unusual.
  • mal 29 Aug 2011 00:35:18 22,414 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    F-Zero GX quest mode says hi!

• SG 29 Aug 2011 00:48:49 1,892 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Ha, yes! I can't believe how shit I am compared to my days of old. Pretty fucking tragic really.

Bremenacht wrote:
    coda wrote:
    MK:DS
    Luigi's Mansion
    Both Pikmins
    Eternal Darkness
    Timesplitters 2
    F-Zero GX
    Wind Waker
    Mario Sunshine
    Viewtiful Joe
    Rogue Squadron
    The Metroids
    Wave Race

I think that's the core. Most people's lists would be 90% from that lot. Again - I'm not saying you're wrong, just unusual.
    I can't state this enough - Twilight Princess. It was the last great game made for the Cube, and it got lost amongst all the hype of the Wii as a Wii game when in fact it is just as brilliant (even more IMO) on the Cube.

Oh, and Smash Bros.

• mal 29 Aug 2011 01:14:34 22,414 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Meh, Twilight Princess freaked me out with the whole uncanny valley thing. I gave up with that game very early, despite loving OoT and Wind Waker. If I'd not been able to guess the basic plot from the in-off because it was my fifth or sixth Zelda game might have hindered my appreciation somewhat.

• DodgyPast 29 Aug 2011 02:11:29 8,435 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Quite bizarre missing out Monkey Ball on an all time classic GC game's list.

The main game itself was pretty awesome, but competitive Monkey Target or 4 player Monkey Fight were the definitive highlights of my GC ownership.

Skies of Arcadia was a lovely port as well.
  • Tonka 29 Aug 2011 07:21:45 20,158 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    RE4
    First and Last and always. No game will ever come near it for me. It's such an influential title as well. People jus dont realize it.

If you can read this you really need to fiddle with your forum settings.

• Tonka 29 Aug 2011 07:43:17 20,158 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree that it's a very strong deviation from the RE of old. So much that it very well could have been its own new game.
    I do feel that old school RE had hit a dead end. The mechanics were too archaic to stand a chance in modern gaming.

And how dare you call RE4 overrated? It's a fucking shame it didn't get 10 out of 10's all over the place.

• Pinky_Floyd 29 Aug 2011 07:53:19 7,653 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    This thread is making me want to pull a load of my GC games out of the attic for a really play on the wii. I'm pretty sure that some of them i haven't actually played much of, such as Resi zero or Resi remake. Rogue squadron was brilliant, Mario sunshine also but i fell victim to a few nasty difficulty spikes.
  • Tonka 29 Aug 2011 08:01:04 20,158 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I understand completely. I would say it's the best gae ever made. Yet, not the best RE game. If that makes any sense.

A close contender for best GC game is PMatTYD. Fuck me that was brilliant.

• Page

of 21 First / Last